HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Byrne VS Komisarek: at same age...

Old
12-14-2007, 07:32 PM
V-2 Schneider

vCash: 500
What I hope he can become is a crease clearing clone of Craig Ludwig.A guy who can log a ton of ice, stay healthy and play smart, physical D.Even throw the odd elbow and make a guy pay for even hissing at Price.

If he can make a long bomb pass to a streaking Kostitsyn, then I will be even more pleased.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
I remember Komisarek being more raw and a little bit less in control than O'Byrne in their respective first years. Although that might be due to the latter being paired up with a vet like Hamrlik and playing on a superior team.

For the record, I don't see why O'Byrne can't reach Komisarek's level. He looks just as aggressive, but less effective in the hitting department, is a better skater, and neither he nor Komisarek will display significant offensive prowess. He has the upside of a superb shut-down defenseman just like Komisarek if he learns to play a smart game based on positioning.
I think you're pushing it. I see O'Byrne as Komisarek Lite. He'll always be playing on a defensive unit one level below Komisarek's.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:25 AM
CloudReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I think you're pushing it. I see O'Byrne as Komisarek Lite. He'll always be playing on a defensive unit one level below Komisarek's.
Oh, you'd most likely be right. I was judging solely on pure upside based on physical attributes. Whether O'Byrne reaches that upside is entirely another story. In hindsight, my post wasn't really clear on that.

Right now, I'd say O'Byrne will prolly be at least a serviceable bottom pairing defenseman, and could be a solid 2nd pairing guy with a bit of work. But if he manages to fully exploit all that size, skating and reach (a very very big 'if'), then he'd be a top-pairing shut-down dman you'd throw at the opposing team's top forwards just like Komi.

CloudReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Oh, you'd most likely be right. I was judging solely on pure upside based on physical attributes. Whether O'Byrne reaches that upside is entirely another story. In hindsight, my post wasn't really clear on that.

Right now, I'd say O'Byrne will prolly be at least a serviceable bottom pairing defenseman, and could be a solid 2nd pairing guy with a bit of work. But if he manages to fully exploit all that size, skating and reach (a very very big 'if'), then he'd be a top-pairing shut-down dman you'd throw at the opposing team's top forwards just like Komi.
Yup. It's all up to O'Byrne...he has the tools (size/height, first pass, the potential to be very physical, etc...). He just has to learn more and more (gain experience/confidence) and have some kind of mean streak while being coachable. (with Komisarek it's natural...great guy who just loves the physical game).

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote