HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere Appreciation Thread

Old
12-14-2007, 03:05 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Briere Appreciation Thread

I would like to publicly thank Daniel Briere for not accepting the huge contract that Habs management felt they had to offer him.

In fairness, kudos should also go to Bob Gainey for subtly discouraging Briere from coming to Montreal by hinting that Michael Ryder would probably not be his winger.

Because Alexander Depatie II chose to land in Philly, the Habs still had the money left to make a perfunctory offer to Sheldon Souray, again subtly using non-verbal communication skills to make him feel like he was not the club's first choice, which lead to the Pylon's rejection of said offer.

The Briere and Souray dossiers dealt with, the Bleu-Blanc-rouge were finally able to go after their REAL target, Roman Hamrlik, completely transforming our defence corps, allowing us to have a premier defenceman on the ice for 45-48 minutes per game.

Once again, thanks Danny Boy!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

I just want to point out that I don't believe the story about Higgins and Ryder loscked to play with Saku...that's it, I won't say anything more on this thread...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
You can clearly see that Danielle is not worth that amount of money.I would rather spend it on another player.He can have fun playing with Richards for the next couple of years!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Guillemin

Have a little gander at his stats.

Then look at our offensive leaders. Now look back and forth. Notice the difference?

He's better than a point per game unlike anyone on our roster, dominates the power play like Kovy, and has 13 G from the centre ice position, which dominates our goal production thus far from centre.

Pleks and Koivu are nice players, but Briere is undoubtedly top line talent. Your post reeks of jealousy.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post

Then look at our offensive leaders. Now look back and forth. Notice the difference?

He's better than a point per game unlike anyone on our roster, dominates the power play like Kovy, and has 13 G from the centre ice position, which dominates our goal production thus far from centre.

Pleks and Koivu are nice players, but Briere is undoubtedly top line talent. Your post reeks of jealousy.
You have your own opinion but I honestly think that Briere is not worth that much money and that in the long term for this franchise we are better off without him.Jealous?Absolutly not.Most of us did not want him at that price

Old
12-14-2007, 09:04 AM
puckeater

Quote:

Go back and read his post again. Do you really think it's sincere? Your post reeks of jealousy cause he thought of it first.

Let him bathe in the light of victory a little will ya?

puckeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater View Post
Go back and read his post again. Do you really think it's sincere? Your post reeks of jealousy cause he thought of it first.
If he is not sincere, and I honestly can't tell sometimes (sarcasm doesn't come through computer screens very well), there are a number of fans who believe it. "Danny was a one year wonder, he's not first line calibre, I'm glad we didn't sign him cause we have better talent, etc."

That's simply not the case.

Old
12-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Bonin

We know Briere have more points and is a better center than Koivu and Plekanec all we're saying is he isn't worth the money

Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:15 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

I don't know if you are addressing Habs 4 Life or me with you "jealousy" comment, but I am not putting down Daniel Briere.

I simply think that had we signed Briere we would not have addressed our D needs, and our D group was the main problem in 2006-2007. Hamrlik has had a VERY positive effect on our D performance.

By the way, without taking anything away from Briere's 13 goals, Plekanec does have 10 goals, while being much better defensively. Briere is 2nd worst plus-minus on Philadelphia, better than ONLY the infamous Rory Fitzpatrick.

Old
12-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonin View Post
We know Briere have more points and is a better center than Koivu and Plekanec all we're saying is he isn't worth the money
Then what merits 6 million a season?

Hamrlik?

He's been amazing for us, and I like his game immensely, but he doesn't bring the same kind of impact that a franchise centre would.

There are certainly those out there who give more for their 6 million. Lecavalier, Thronton, Iggy (only 1 mil more, same area code). But there are those who give a lot less too. Jose Theodore leaps to mind.

Old
12-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

I simply think that had we signed Briere we would not have addressed our D needs, and our D group was the main problem in 2006-2007. Hamrlik has had a VERY positive effect on our D performance.

By the way, without taking anything away from Briere's 13 goals, Plekanec does have 10 goals, while being much better defensively. Briere is 2nd worst plus-minus on Philadelphia, better than ONLY the infamous Rory Fitzpatrick.
But we still would have signed Brisebois!!!!

Fair points all.

Old
12-14-2007, 09:22 AM
MTL-rules

Yeah right... because Briere was such a bad addition to the Philly lineup

They went from the worst team in the league to one of the best, Briere is putting more than ppg WITHOUT Gagné on his side (watch out when he'll come back), we still lack a star scorer and there are people to say that he "wouldn't fit in", or that he "isn't what we need", etc.

****ing pathetic... as pathetic as people saying he was no more than a 60-70pts scorer out of Buffalo...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Then what merits 6 million a season?

Hamrlik?

He's been amazing for us, and I like his game immensely, but he doesn't bring the same kind of impact that a franchise centre would.

There are certainly those out there who give more for their 6 million. Lecavalier, Thronton, Iggy (only 1 mil more, same area code). But there are those who give a lot less too. Jose Theodore leaps to mind.
Hamrlik is much more important to us then Briere would be playing with Streit and Dandenault

Old
12-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

I'm not sure he would be a point per game player in Montreal...it's always like that here...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:33 AM
LeMAD

Brière would have been a good signing, but he signed elsewhere. End of story.

(But he would have been a good signing. No idea why he's got such a bad reputation)

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Vicarious

As an Ottawa fan your defense was something I always noticed last year. Sure Souray could score, but when there was a turn over he was toast.

Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I aknowledge and appreciate the fact that Princess Danielle Brière is a little *****-wussy who cant play diddly-squat against the Habs...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:31 AM
HabuseMoi

"No Daniel, you can't be on the second line with Ryder and Higgins, you'll have to be on the first line with Kovalev and Kostitsyn"

"Me not coming then"

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:32 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Brière would have been a good signing, but he signed elsewhere. End of story.

(But he would have been a good signing. No idea why he's got such a bad reputation)
My point is not that Briere is terrible, or that we would only get "X" points in Montreal, or that the lil' diver wouldn't fit in.

My point was that paying $5.5M for Hamrlik and his SOLID two-way work (and still having $2.5M left per year for the next 6 years) provided more benefits to us than getting an established scoring centre who also has some defensive issues.

Now let's get rid of the Smolinski, Brisebois and Ryder contracts for next year and go spend that roughly $10M of cap room we'll have (plus the cap increase, if any) to improve the team some more!!

Old
12-14-2007, 11:37 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

People are impressed with Briere?

He's got 35 points and is a -5...

-5! with 35 points!

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
kenadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

Because Alexander Depatie II chose to land in Philly,

Your comparing Briere to Alexander Depatie? So Briere's a diver?

There was an Alexander Daigle who played hockey..................

kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:

I think the poster has some good points, nothing else.

I prefer our position than the flyers.

They have signed Briere to such a big contract for so many years... that they found themselve in a position where they can hardly improve for now on.

This year they only have 787k of cap space.

You compare the stats of Briere versus our centers... sure they look better... but Montreal as it stand as just as many points then the flyers (35 points/31 games versus 34 points/29 games), and 3.456 Millions of cap space.

I will compare the flyers situation with Tamba bay... Tamba bay signed a few players at super high salaries.. and while having great talent, they haven't been able to spare a good goalie since those signings... from lack of money... so their talent pool was wasted at the end.

I am happy that Montreal didn't sign Briere and Souray to way overpriced contracts, and left room for improvement instead.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
People are impressed with Briere?

He's got 35 points and is a -5...

-5! with 35 points!
Actually no,only Guillemin

Old
12-14-2007, 11:42 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenadian View Post
Your comparing Briere to Alexander Depatie? So Briere's a diver?

There was an Alexander Daigle who played hockey..................
Woosh, right over your head...

Yes, he's a diver.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 12:19 PM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Woosh, right over your head...

Yes, he's a diver.
classic......

first off lil Danny's getting 10 million this year

secondly folks he said "I DON'T WANT TO PLAY IN MTL"

lastly IMHO he is NOT the franchise C some of you have stated & mentioning him in the same sentance with Vinny or J Thorton is nuts.........he couldn't carry their jock straps.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote