HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere Appreciation Thread

Old
12-14-2007, 12:32 PM
kenadian

vCash: 500
Whatever, I've never considered Briere a diver; I thought it was a comparison to Daigle. Since Daigle was given a huge contract and didn't live up to expectations...

kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenadian View Post
Whatever, I've never considered Briere a diver; I thought it was a comparison to Daigle. Since Daigle was given a huge contract and didn't live up to expectations...

I think you misinterpreted the term 'diving' in hockey.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I would like to publicly thank Daniel Briere for not accepting the huge contract that Habs management felt they had to offer him.

In fairness, kudos should also go to Bob Gainey for subtly discouraging Briere from coming to Montreal by hinting that Michael Ryder would probably not be his winger.

Because Alexander Depatie II chose to land in Philly, the Habs still had the money left to make a perfunctory offer to Sheldon Souray, again subtly using non-verbal communication skills to make him feel like he was not the club's first choice, which lead to the Pylon's rejection of said offer.

The Briere and Souray dossiers dealt with, the Bleu-Blanc-rouge were finally able to go after their REAL target, Roman Hamrlik, completely transforming our defence corps, allowing us to have a premier defenceman on the ice for 45-48 minutes per game.

Once again, thanks Danny Boy!
So you're pleased.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Have a little gander at his stats.

Then look at our offensive leaders. Now look back and forth. Notice the difference?

He's better than a point per game unlike anyone on our roster, dominates the power play like Kovy, and has 13 G from the centre ice position, which dominates our goal production thus far from centre.

Pleks and Koivu are nice players, but Briere is undoubtedly top line talent. Your post reeks of jealousy.
He's an expensive luxury. By the way, I noticed how he outplayed Pleks and Koivu last night. Well, actually, his play wasn't that noticeable while Pleks and Koivu were very noticeable.

Old
12-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonin View Post
We know Briere have more points and is a better center than Koivu and Plekanec all we're saying is he isn't worth the money
He's making more than Koivu and Plekanec combined.

Old
12-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
He's making more than Koivu and Plekanec combined.
As of next year so will Richards

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Then what merits 6 million a season?

Hamrlik?

He's been amazing for us, and I like his game immensely, but he doesn't bring the same kind of impact that a franchise centre would.

There are certainly those out there who give more for their 6 million. Lecavalier, Thronton, Iggy (only 1 mil more, same area code). But there are those who give a lot less too. Jose Theodore leaps to mind.

I disagree. Brière is less valuable to the Flyers than Hamrlik is to the Habs. The Habs have roughly the same number of points as the Flyers despite not having Brière, Richards, Gagné, and all their other high scoring forwards. A "franchise center" like Brière doesn't play as many minutes as Hamrlik. Hamrlik can play in any situation. Brière is defensively weak and isn't doing so well at even strength, judging from his +/-, which doesn't compare to Hamrlik's. Subtract Hamrlik and the Habs' defense would be a shambles. What would the second pairing consist of? It would be out of the question to pair O'Byrne with any of the remaining crud once you look past Markov and Hamrlik (Komisarek plays RD, same as O'Byrne).

Old
12-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Actually no,only Guillemin
And some other unbiased supporters of other teams.

... prob only me around here though

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote