HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Thornton - out 1/19 vs. Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2004, 08:45 PM
mwshapi

vCash: 500
Joe Thornton - out 1/19 vs. Rangers

Joe Thornton sustained a facial laceration and a small fracture to his cheekbone during a fight in the second period. According to General Manager Mike O'Connell, Thornton will be re-evaluated on Tuesday morning. Thornton will miss tomorrow's game and will be listed as day-to-day afterwards.

www.bostonbruins.com

Old
01-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Barnaby

Finally!! A glimpse of the old E-Train!!!

Old
01-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I hate to see a great player injured but thornton reminds me of the first guy you had to beat in mike tysons punch out. Oh what was his name?

Old
01-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Fletch

That's too bad...

and Thornton's one tough cookie. One less excuse for the Rangers. Hopefully he'll come back soon - I actually enjoy watching him play when it ain't against the Rangers.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:15 PM
shmekel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
I hate to see a great player injured but thornton reminds me of the first guy you had to beat in mike tysons punch out. Oh what was his name?
LOL, "Glass Joe"?

Old
01-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
anybody got a link or a video of the fight??

Old
01-19-2004, 10:26 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
anybody got a link or a video of the fight??
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=240119001

Old
01-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and Thornton's one tough cookie. One less excuse for the Rangers. Hopefully he'll come back soon - I actually enjoy watching him play when it ain't against the Rangers.

I hear ya Fletch....Thornton is a guy I like to watch as well as he's one tough hombre and very skilled as well.

-Maxie

Old
01-19-2004, 10:41 PM
shmekel

By the way, tomorrow they're going to be gunning for Lindros. That doesn't make me altogether comfortable with them going after his melon all game.

Old
01-19-2004, 11:02 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmekel
By the way, tomorrow they're going to be gunning for Lindros. That doesn't make me altogether comfortable with them going after his melon all game.

I don't think so...The B's had a chance (half a game) on their home ice and didn't do anything...Joe got nailed in a fair fight,,,,case closed...I'm sure the players realize that...maybe except for Doull...I'd get him out of there quick if I were you guys...

Old
01-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmekel
LOL, "Glass Joe"?

Old
01-20-2004, 06:56 AM
allrevvedup25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable

LOL, that is classic!!!

Old
01-20-2004, 06:57 AM
allrevvedup25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
does anyone else have a different video clip, I can't watch, just listen. I seen the fight on Sportscentre and want to see it again.

Old
01-20-2004, 07:39 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Go to the Flyers board. I just post it.

BTW, great fight from Barnabunny! Poor boy! He was destroyed, as usual, by Gill!

Old
01-20-2004, 08:02 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
BTW, great fight from Barnabunny! Poor boy! He was destroyed, as usual, by Gill!
Little mismatch in size, no? As I said elsewhere, fighting Matty is about Gill's speed. In his other endevours, whenever he tangled w/ someone bigger than Barnaby-size, the results were very much in reverse. Gill only seems to be physical when it comes to players that are a foot shorter.
BTW, when did "punching bag" get added to Lapointe's resume? Simon just treated him like his own personal toilet bowl and s... all over him.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
Go to the Flyers board. I just post it.

When was the last time Barnaby went into a fight thinking he could actually win it. It is the action that counts not the result.

01-20-2004, 09:19 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Little mismatch in size, no? As I said elsewhere, fighting Matty is about Gill's speed. In his other endevours, whenever he tangled w/ someone bigger than Barnaby-size, the results were very much in reverse. Gill only seems to be physical when it comes to players that are a foot shorter.
BTW, when did "punching bag" get added to Lapointe's resume? Simon just treated him like his own personal toilet bowl and s... all over him.
How come size doesn't matter when it comes to Simon kicking Lapointe's arse?

As usual in Ranger land, nothing going on as far as winning hockey, so we'll do this..

Old
01-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8

As usual in Ranger land, nothing going on as far as winning hockey, so we'll do this..

You could sort of tell that Simon really didn't want to pummel Lapointe and Lapointe really didn't want to go at it with Simon but he did as he took the beating for the team. Barnaby did the same thing with Gill as he knew he had no chance.

Now, you have to admit WhamCam....no way Gill would have taken on Simon in the same situation as he was in with Barnaby....even you have to admit that.

-Max

Old
01-20-2004, 12:32 PM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus915
You could sort of tell that Simon really didn't want to pummel Lapointe and Lapointe really didn't want to go at it with Simon but he did as he took the beating for the team. Barnaby did the same thing with Gill as he knew he had no chance.

Now, you have to admit WhamCam....no way Gill would have taken on Simon in the same situation as he was in with Barnaby....even you have to admit that.

-Max
Gill would have fought Simon..I mean he fought Chara who is actually bigger than he is...He got his butt handed to him as well...I think the guy is finally realizing that he is tougher and stronger than he thought...which is what us bruins fans have been trying to get out of him for years...

Old
01-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB
Gill would have fought Simon..I mean he fought Chara who is actually bigger than he is...He got his butt handed to him as well...I think the guy is finally realizing that he is tougher and stronger than he thought...which is what us bruins fans have been trying to get out of him for years...

I have my doubts Bigbad one as Gill likely will get his head handed to him if he squared off against Simon. But, we'll see and I do believe Gill will get the opportunity cause Simon for sure, will be looking for him. We'll see if Gill responds.

-Max

Old
01-20-2004, 01:08 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Yeah Gill would have gone with Simon, he wouldn't have won or anything but he would have been willing to go. Like you said he has fought Chara this year as well as Jody Shelley and has also had an altercation with Keith Primeau, who are all pretty tough guys in the league. So it's not like Gill is going around picking on little guys, everyone here knows Barnaby is willing to go at it with anyone, it's not like Gill went looking for him.

Old
01-20-2004, 02:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8

Poor, "little" Marty Lapointe. All 215 lbs (5' 11")of him. Now I now that MAtty (6')towers over him by 1 inches, but the 25 lbs that Lapointe has on him more than evens that, don't you think? Heck, Simon is listed at 232lbs. That's 17 more than Lapointe. As opposed to Gill, who is 6'7", 250 lbs. Now you moan about Lapointe being outweighed by 17 pounds and yet bemoan Matty who gives away 7 friggin' inches and 60 lbs? Come on.
Matty has a history to not backing down to ANYONE. Whereas Gill has a history of being a punching bag to those that anywhere near his size. Like I said, fighting Matty is about Gill's speed. Notice that he'll never tangle w/ the likes of Purinton or Simon.

Old
01-20-2004, 02:46 PM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Poor, "little" Marty Lapointe. All 215 lbs (5' 11")of him. Now I now that MAtty (6')towers over him by 1 inches, but the 25 lbs that Lapointe has on him more than evens that, don't you think? Heck, Simon is listed at 232lbs. That's 17 more than Lapointe. As opposed to Gill, who is 6'7", 250 lbs. Now you moan about Lapointe being outweighed by 17 pounds and yet bemoan Matty who gives away 7 friggin' inches and 60 lbs? Come on.
Matty has a history to not backing down to ANYONE. Whereas Gill has a history of being a punching bag to those that anywhere near his size. Like I said, fighting Matty is about Gill's speed. Notice that he'll never tangle w/ the likes of Purinton or Simon.

Again Gill would fight anyone..but if anyone is close to his size he will lose...he is like Barnaby, will fight anyone..usually fares well against people his size and smaller, but would get his butt handed to him against better and bigger fighters...

Old
01-20-2004, 02:52 PM
True Blue

Quote:
but would get his butt handed to him against better and bigger fighters...
Not for nothing, but how much bigger can opponents get? Besides Chara, that is. Gill is 6'7" and 250 lbs. Can't get much bigger than that.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:19 PM
-Andy

Heh. Gill is one of the biggest pansies on the B's. He turns down people left and right, and when he does fight usually looks scared and gets beat on. The only reason he did okay with Barnaby is that they locked up in a scrum while trying to break up Lindros and Thorton and he got a decent grab. Gill got 4-5 shots to the back of Barnaby's head and then was holding on for life at the end, initiating the takedown to avoid more punches.

I do have to say someone put something in Gill's breakfast the last couple of weeks cause he has showed up feisty lately. Probably will get some attention tonight.

Closed Thread