HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

TRADED: Doug Weight, Michal Birner, 7th in '08 for Andy McDonald

Old
12-15-2007, 02:01 AM
Blue Sur

vCash: 500
Ambivalent feelings conquer the mind. In light of the center issue, this acquisition should help the team, even if AndyMac hasn't racked up so many points thus far. On the other hand, Dougie - if his tone in the interview is indicative of anything - would have deserved better from the management after wearing the Bluenote and leading the offense for so many years. But then, it's a business where such loyalties and personal considerations may be brushed aside. I wish him all the best in the Californian warmth.

On a lighter note, I wonder if the Blues' have filled their Mac/Mc quota by now. (Not an endorsement of any product.)

Last edited by Blue Sur: 12-15-2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: punctuation precision
Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Bluester

Overall good Birthday present for me. To bad I was at work though when I heard.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:09 AM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Thanks for joining us all the way from 1999...

I just hope you're still able to post here after that Y2K thing happens...scary times
Someone had to say something on that.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 10:18 AM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend View Post
That sucks to read that he's leaving like this. Certainly, it must be tough for him in what it sounds like being forced out of town at this stage of his career and after having spent so many years here. The fact that he came back to the Blues after winning the cup in Carolina demonstrated his commitment to the franchise, especially since there was no assurance that this team would be successful.
I agree. He is one of my favorite players (auto'd authentic jersey and all). Even though I really hate to see the parting go like this, I still agree with the trade on a business level. This is a hard one all around.

I remember the first Blues soiree at Grants Farm after he arrived. I guess not many people knew who he was as Doug was standing by himself quite often waiting to sign autographs. I went up and chatted with him a couple of times. Class act. I hate to see it end like this.

TimothyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 11:23 AM
gallagt01

With Oshie playing with you guys next year (assumed from what has been said in this thread), does that make a winger (Stempniak) expendable? We'd love the hometown kid in Buffalo.

Grats on the steal.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 11:58 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Weight and Pronger back together again...oh my. I want to be a fly on the wall in that locker room.

It is very unfortunate that Doug feels poorly about the trade, I hope he realizes that it was business and that is all. I imagine when Anaheim rolls into town next he'll get a good tribute from the club and I hope for a damn long standing ovation for him when he is introduced. Say what you want about his play this year, Doug Weight has consistently been about the good of this franchise. Right down to agreeing to be traded the first time and then resigning with us.

I would hope the foul taste wears off and Doug is offered a front office job a few hours after he announces his retirement because Weight is exactly the kind of person I want being a face of this franchise. Hell, this might just net Dougie another Stanley Cup Ring.

Good trade for us, Mac is that transition center we were needing and he won't cost us $5Mil+ to get him. I wonder if this affects our ability either way to dabble in the UFA market this summer, besides the obvious hit to the cap space and budget?

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:00 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

completely off topic and simply coincidence but besides the first few years by Weight in NYR, it is strange that both Pronger and Weight have played pretty much for the same franchises (Edm, Stl, Car/Hfd, Ana)

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

I can understand why Weight would be a little POed. I mean, I would be a little angry too if I was traded a week and a half before christmas.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I can understand why Weight would be a little POed. I mean, I would be a little angry too if I was traded a week and a half before christmas.
I think there is more to this than meets the eye. I think Weight and Murray had some problems getting along.

Weight already did his bit for the team in being traded to Carolina, and then resigning. The Blues could have found another way to bolster the forward lines (i.e. trading a defenceman). I think that Murray sensed that Weight was not "cooperating" with his offensive system, and he also complained about Murray's training requirements.

Ordinarily JD wouldn't want to treat a longtime Blue veteran, who has given his all to the team in this manner, because he is an upright guy, and also because he wants The Blues' organisation to be thought of as a players' organisation, so free agents and draftees will want to sign with them.

But, I think that JD was forced to side with his coach on this one, as the trade helps the team in any case, and the President's relationship with the coach is more important than with one single player who wouldn't be with the team after the remainder of this season.

I just hope that Weight will retire after this season, keep his family in St. Louis, and welcome The Blues' organisation patching up this sticky situation, by offering him a great job after he retires.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:30 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Excellent, signed through '09 and hopefully fits AMs system. Thank you management for taking care of this specific need. Next year I want him with Perron and Oshie.

Still need to move a D-man but the true need was adressed and now we can maximize return at the deadline. We just bought the time to make the best deal.

God speed Dougie, thanks for everything.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior View Post
McDonald has been completely healthy the past few seasons. But he has a history of concussions.

He should work well with your team. But this year and next year are crucial years for his career. He makes 3.3 million next year. For a second line center to produce about .5 ppg at that amount of money...not good obviously.

But, motivation has never been an issue for him. Good guy. Good player. Wish him the best.
Yeah but Kariya has a history of concussions and has been concussion free for...many years now.

12-15-2007, 04:59 PM
BlueNhockeytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
With Oshie playing with you guys next year (assumed from what has been said in this thread), does that make a winger (Stempniak) expendable? We'd love the hometown kid in Buffalo.

Grats on the steal.
No I don't think so at alll. Berglund and Oshie are both possably in the plans, neither would affect Stemper though.

BlueNhockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman7191 View Post
Those aren't exactly the best linemates. Bertuzzi is definitly not the finisher he used to be. Marchant, Miller, and Kunitz are all decent. But When andy comes here he can be on a line with Perron, Stempy, Backes, or who knows maybe he will light a fire under Rucinsky's back side (dreaming). But all around good trade by JD.
The problem is none of those guys are really playing better than Kunitz or Bert. Andy McDonald would be GREAT with Kariya and it would be a joy too watch. McDonald is fast, not just kind of fast, but fast like one of the very fastest skaters in the entire NHL without a doubt. Tkachuck is a better stand alone player than McDonald, it would better serve the Blues to match McDonald with Kariya or else you might not get any more out of McDonald than the Ducks were getting. Tkachuck should at least continue to produce as a second line center.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Sharks14*

IMO it was a good trade for the Blues. I hate to see Dougy get traded to Anaheim, but Mcdonald brings leadership to this team. Glad to see Davidson make the right trade.

Go Blues!

Sharks14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Sear91

Great pickup for the blues, you guys have got a monster of a team on your hands...

Sear91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 11:24 PM
BluesDarb

“I rely heavily on my speed, but I classify myself as a play-maker,” said McDonald, who Wednesday played in his 276th consecutive game with the Ducks, a franchise record. “I also take a lot of pride in my defensive play.”

from stltoday.com

Just had to isolate that little bit....dude's an ironman! NICE!

I'm a happy little camper....cept for this friggin snow....cursed white crap that will probably prevent my hockey attendance!

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 03:34 PM
cantskate

Is Andy playing tonight (Sunday)?

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Wes McSnipes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantskate View Post
Is Andy playing tonight (Sunday)?
Yep, he's in the lineup tonight centering Paul Kariya and Brad Boyes on the 1st line.

I don't believe I've given my thoughts yet on this trade, so here they are...

I am very happy with this trade. Weight was one of my favorite players, but he will be turning 37 and McDonald just recently turned 30, and it's better to get younger. Weight didn't have much left in the tank, and he was showing it this year. McDonald on the other hand still has a lot left. Very fast, good offensively, and solid defensively. He's just a good player, and would be a #1 or #2 center on every team in this league.... we just REALLY upgraded at the center position going from Weight to McDonald. McDonald-Tkachuk isn't a bad 1-2 punch at C.

McDonald is a great player, so I'm very happy to get him. What a trade by JD and Larry Pleau!

He had success with Selanne in Anaheim, so I'm pretty sure he will do well here while playing with Kariya and Boyes. Both of them together are just as good - probably better - than Selanne by himself, so I'm not worried about Andy's slow start. He will come around and be a good player - better than Weight.

Sad to see Weight go, but happy to welcome McDonald. That's sports... you have to do what's best for the team, and trading Weight will make us better.

I'm excited to see Andy Mac play!

Wes McSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 05:57 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
lol he scored.. great trade for st louis!

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 06:01 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
lol he scored.. great trade for st louis!
I went to the Ducks board after Andy scored and looked for a "worst trade in Ducks history" thread, they hadn't started it yet.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:11 PM
CuSa_1

why are there so many darned games not on tv this year... boy I wish I had Center Ice.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 08:32 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
After Andy had a goal and an assist, Dougie responded with an assist of his own on a beauty pass in the first period.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Metallian*

Watch Dougie become an Hart candidate now

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 08:41 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Watch Dougie become an Hart candidate now
lol also before hand in an interview he seemed happy and joking around. I think its tough when you play alot of your career in a place and then leave. Its always going to be tough at first and I think he just kind of overreacted.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Weight's gone, and I'm fine with it. I'm honestly surprised he picked things up as much as he did - it seems to oddly coincide with about the time the team would have gone to him the first time asking him to waive his NTC. I don't know when they actually asked him originally, but he absolutely struggled for the first 20+ games and there was no excuse for him only being 0-3-3 through 16 games and 0-6-6 through 25 games.

He's playing better as of late. Great! Let's see how long he keeps it up, because I think what we're seeing at the moment is his last gasps of high-level play in his career and it won't continue over the final 48 games and the playoffs.