HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Birner

Old
12-14-2007, 07:40 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 80
Birner

I'm sure you knew this thread was coming. Where a Ducks fan asks you "who the heck is Birner?"

I'm curious if anyone can provide some insight into what kind of player he is? What style of game does he play, what's strengths and weaknesses? What's the upside and downside? Beyond the obvious hockeysfuture profile on him. And finally, the Blues HF writer, Kyle McMahon, how good are his HF ratings (do they tend to be conservative or optimistic)? Because a 7.0C is probably better than I would expect. But that may be because the Ducks writer tends to be pretty conservative in his ratings (there's only like 8 7.0C's or higher in the entire system.)

Good luck with Andy, I think he's going to tear it up with Kariya. He's essentially a (lesser) Kariya clone, before Kariya got injured and became a perimeter floater. I believe he wears the same visor as Kariya, and has a very similar hunched skating style. Andy has sucked this year because he has a) linemates ill-suited for his game and b) no confidence.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 06:59 AM
kimzey59

vCash: 500
Birner is a very good 2-way prospect.
He has good speed, a very good wrister, plays with some grit and plays all 3 forward positions.

If I had to compare him to a current NHl'er, think a slightly more aggressive Mike Johnson.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
I'm sure you knew this thread was coming. Where a Ducks fan asks you "who the heck is Birner?"

I'm curious if anyone can provide some insight into what kind of player he is? What style of game does he play, what's strengths and weaknesses? What's the upside and downside? Beyond the obvious hockeysfuture profile on him. And finally, the Blues HF writer, Kyle McMahon, how good are his HF ratings (do they tend to be conservative or optimistic)? Because a 7.0C is probably better than I would expect. But that may be because the Ducks writer tends to be pretty conservative in his ratings (there's only like 8 7.0C's or higher in the entire system.)

Good luck with Andy, I think he's going to tear it up with Kariya. He's essentially a (lesser) Kariya clone, before Kariya got injured and became a perimeter floater. I believe he wears the same visor as Kariya, and has a very similar hunched skating style. Andy has sucked this year because he has a) linemates ill-suited for his game and b) no confidence.
You are looking at a guy who is at best a 3rd liner. He has some limited scoring ability and plays very well defensively. I think he was a very expendable player for the Blues - he has already been passed by Drazenovic and Lemy in the AHL. I am not sure he will get a chance to make the Ducks for the next year or two unless you have a ton of injuries.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Robb_K

Kimzey hit it on the nose. Birner will be a good 2-way NHL 3rd-liner, with more scoring potential (due to his nice wrist shot), and he can pass decently too, and with grit. If he shows he can score enough on The NHL level, he could be a "high class" 3rd line winger (sort of Michael Peca is to the 3rd line centre position). As such, he is hardly irreplaceable on The Blues' roster. He might make The Ducks' NHL roster in 2009-10, depending upon the competition, and how he develops.

His inclusion in the trade will provide a little insurance, to take the "sting" out of the deal, in case Weight doesn't have much left (as he looked all season, before his recent 3-game revival).

Weight will be worth the trade to The Ducks with just a decent playoff performance, combined with his contract, which ends this season, clearing cap space for Niedemayier and/or Perry to be signed next year.

Weight played well in the playoffs for Carolina after a not-so-great season, and also had such a situation for The Blues, in their last playoff season. He has generally risen to the occaision in the playoffs during his old age, after having to parcel out his "energy" during the long season.

I think both teams will be happy with their results from this trade. I just hope AM can find the most effective line combinations.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote