HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribeiro Watch

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Ribeiro Watch

Now that it's getting close to crunch time for the Habs, and the team's got a tougher schedule coming up, it's time to seperate the players who are for real from the fluff perimeter players.

This is an important time for Ribeiro to step up; not only points-wise, but in terms of his overall play. It will be indicative of his play in the future playoffs, and overall abilities to step it up when it counts, in my opinion.

I'd like to keep this thread updated to see how he fares through the next portion of the season.

Please note that this thread isn't to degrade Ribeiro's abilities, or start any controversy. I've been harsh on him earlier this season, but I'm genuinely impressed with his progression and consistency. Now I'd like to see how you all feel he does over the next stretch, and be able to track it all in one thread.

So with all of the disclaimers out of the way, how do you feel he did against Philly? I've yet to watch the game, but I'm wondering how you feel he did in all three zones.

-Whether he could handle the Philly centers down low, or if he was run over.

-How he did in the transition game; both offensively and defensively

-Was he kept to the perimeter in the offensive zone?

Old
01-21-2004, 12:08 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
The playoffs race has began since the first game of the season... You know my opinion about Ribeiro... This summer I were saying that we were finnally going to have a decent second line center in Ribeiro and that would be a major improvement over Perreault (To me Perreault was the worst second line center in the entire league)...

Happy that you finnally open your eyes about him, this kid play a smart overall game, is involved in the play and is a terrific playmaker! He sure have some big flaws (lack of strenght and speed) but he play with a high level of determination, can fight for the puck along the board and is always well positionned on the ice!
I don't think its about opening ones eyes, its being cautiously optimistic. EVERYONE knew Ribeiro had the skills and potential, it was just prior to this year which is just half over, he had shown little of what you mentioned.

Mike8 is right, the stretch run and playoffs are what separates men from boys. Ribeiro has done an excellent job so far, but again, its only half a season.

I to look forward to see how he responds, I believe he might and give him the benefit of the doubt, but he still must prove his worth on a higher stage, first off which is the grueling stretch run.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:37 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Ribeiro was progressing very well at the end of last season when playing with Zednik and Hossa, he showed some grit and caractere and I was pretty sure that he was going to become a decent second line center for us!
I really didn't intend this thread to be about Ribeiro's future or history, or what some posters thought yadda yadda yadda...

I'm interested in focusing on Ribeiro's game over the next portion of the season, game-by-game, and seeing how he does in the fundamental parts of hockey.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:37 AM
HABitude

Ribeiro : so far, so good.
I give him the benefit of he doubt.
He did a nice job on the winning goal tonight, his passes are always tape to tape, he dekes like a high class player, he plays a clever game, trying new ways of scoring. His play is non-conventional, I like to watch him because I can see something I didn't expected, this kid is so smart.

Enough said, I think he will have the rest of the season like it started. When at the first game against Toronto he replied with his glove to the face of Domi (without hesitation), I knew this kid have guts and is determined.

Go Ribs Go !!

Old
01-21-2004, 12:40 AM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
And it's false to say that everyone knew that Ribeiro had what it takes to play at the level he actually do, most of posters here were saying exactly the opposite in fact!
You may have took it that way but that's not the case. I was one of them who used to run down Ribiero this summer. Why? Not because I didn't think he was skilled, but because, despite those offensive skills, he hadn't translated them into points.

In the middle all that running down Ribs I did this summer, I also picked him (along with Souray) as most likely to have a breakout season. So there you go.

I'm an enigma sometimes.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Habber

When I think of Ribs' play lately I can't help but think of Perrault last season: he scored a whack before Christmas and then slowly started disappearing until he was invisible by the end of the season. Iím not saying the same thing is going to happen with Ribeiro, but we do have to wait until the seasonís over before making any judgments.

As for your questions, Mike8:

-Whether he could handle the Philly centers down low, or if he was run over.
I thought he held his own. He always kept himself on the defensive side of the puck and planted himself fairly decently. He certainly didnít overpower guys but thatís to be expected. As long as he keeps himself in a strong position, heís fine. (Although he did have a glaring turnover right in front of the net. He owes Theo for that one.)

There wasnít a whole lot of offensive transition by any of the Habs tonight. As soon as we got up by that goal, we pretty much just chipped it out of the zone all night. So in that regard he did fine as he banked a few off the glass instead of trying to force a pass. Defensively, everyone was coming back hard, Ribs included.

-Was he kept to the perimeter in the offensive zone?
I donít think Ribs being on the perimeter is a bad thing, as long as he can find himself room there, which he did tonight. Zed was going to the net hard tonight so he didnít really need to. He was right in front of the net to feed Zedís first goal though.

Overall he had a strong game and showed that he can play at this level. The question is, can he play like that night after night. Heís the type of player that if his effort level drops, heís going to be invisible. If he can keep raising the level of his game for the next two months, heíll be great. If he decides his game is where it needs to be, and stops trying to improve it, he wonít cut it.

It'll be interesting seeing how he progresses.

(Sorry for the long post but I take lots of flak for cutting Ribs down. I just want to show I donít hate him I just donít want to judge a guy on 50 games.)

edit: had a double paragraph.

Last edited by Habber: 01-21-2004 at 01:16 AM.
Old
01-21-2004, 01:21 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Now that it's getting close to crunch time for the Habs, and the team's got a tougher schedule coming up, it's time to seperate the players who are for real from the fluff perimeter players.

This is an important time for Ribeiro to step up;it is important for all the players not only points-wise, but in terms of his overall play. It will be indicative of his play in the future playoffs, and overall abilities to step it up when it counts, in my opinion.

I'd like to keep this thread updated to see how he fares through the next portion of the season.

Please note that this thread isn't to degrade Ribeiro's abilities, or start any controversy.so why just doing that thread with him ? I've been harsh on him earlier this season, but I'm genuinely impressed with his progression and consistency.
i think that there is something false when you say that you don't want to degrade his abilities(''something'' don't mean ''all '') ;if it will be true , you wouln't have the idea to do this thread only about him ; why only him ?what about Ryder ,Dagenais,Koivu, Komi, Bouillon and all the other players ...because his bad defensive game ? Ribeiro is + 10 , , his line have the best plus/minus stats of the team .( I know, They are not playing againts the best opposite line ? so ?it's going to be the same for the next half season

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 01-21-2004 at 01:50 AM.
Old
01-21-2004, 01:35 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
and what about Ryder ,Koivu, Komi, Bouillon and all the other players ...

i think that there is something false when you say that you don't want to degrade his abilities ;if it will be true , you wouln't have the idea to do this thread
First off, Koivu has proven himself a million times over, so no need to question him.

True the same attention could go for Ryder, Komi and Bouillon, but Ribeiro is under much more pressure to perform.

Ryder wasn't even supposed to make the team, nor was Bouillon and I don't think Komi is going to have much a role down the stretch. But Ribeiro has been touted for the 2nd line centre position for years, and now is his time to show if he can do it, because if not you know that's what BG will be shopping for this summer.

That's why the thread on him.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:39 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
First off, Koivu has proven himself a million times over, so no need to question him.

True the same attention could go for Ryder, Komi and Bouillon, but Ribeiro is under much more pressure to perform.

Ryder wasn't even supposed to make the team, nor was Bouillon and I don't think Komi is going to have much a role down the stretch. But Ribeiro has been touted for the 2nd line centre position for years, and now is his time to show if he can do it, because if not you know that's what BG will be shopping for this summer.

That's why the thread on him.
he's +10 and he's 40 points / 47 games ? and it's time to show if he can do it ?

Old
01-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Guy!

Quote:
Honestly, this was his big weakness tonight.

He was caught deep a few times and was a little late in geting back. Fortunately, he was either covered by his wingers who did a decent job tonight, or by the defenders who were better at breaking up plays that usual. Also to be noted, Philly was fighting the puck which made it easier for Ribs to get back.

More importantly, the offensive transition was, at times, painful. A few times both he and his linemates were streaking out - straight down the ice, mind you - while the defenders were caught deep. Not smart play at all, and if the Flyers had been on the ball tonight, Ribs line would have paid for mistakes like these. He routinely didn't provide an easy outlet pass. Now, he's still getting better in that aspect, sure, but it's a key part of his game that he has to work on - playing the system and not his own game.

ACF

Old
01-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Habber

Quote:
he's +10 and he's 40 points / 47 games ? and it's time to show if he can do it ?
Yanic Perrault, first 47 games 02/03:
20 goals 17 points

Nuff said.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:57 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Absolutely! Don't get me wrong, he looks great so far, I am damn glad we have him. Playoff run is coming, pressure on him for his first full season as an actual part of the team, will the pressure crush him or can he stand tall? Non one can answer the question cause no one saw him in a 2nd line center role on a playoff team in the nhl. Will the bigger players play big and take him out and watch him more? Can he out play them with his skill? Lots of questions and only time will tell the answers.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Istvan

Quote:
EXACTLY!

Old
01-21-2004, 01:58 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
20 goals 17 points

Nuff said.
He did get injured and never ha da regular roster spot after that, so not really fair. Then again, might be the perfect comparison, I remember Maurice Richard Trophy talk about him around chirstmas in 2002.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:00 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
EXACTLY!
read habber's post, it should open your eyes.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:06 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
20 goals 17 points

Nuff said.
i think that 40 /47 is a way more consistent that 17 / 47 ,
but anyway ...i don't want to start a personal fight about that ...may be you're right and Ribs is only going to have 7 points in the second part of the season. who know ?

and may be Ryder is going to score only 2 goals and may be Hainsey is going to score ...0 goal ,

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 01-21-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Old
01-21-2004, 02:16 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
i think that 40 /47 is a way more consistent that 17 / 47 ,
but anyway ...i don't want to start a personal fight about that ...may be you're right and Ribs is only going to have 7 points in the second part of the season. who know ?
He made an obvious mistake, it's 20 goals and 17 assist, cause you can't have 17 points if you have 20 goals

Old
01-21-2004, 02:20 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
He made an obvious mistake, it's 20 goals and 17 assist, cause you can't have 17 points if you have 20 goals
well said , i didn't see it ! or may be it was 17 goals and 3 passes ?

Old
01-21-2004, 02:30 AM
Asgalus

Quote:
well said , i didn't see it ! or may be it was 17 goals and 3 passes ?

I was expecting Ribs to do 55 to 60 pts if he would keep his spot on the second line all season long. It isnt done yet...but it could easely be much better (70+)...and what would makes me laugh much more...is if he brakes Koivu's personnal best season (around 72pts) whitch is possible...but he is still a long way from there. What ever happens to him from now on, if we makes the playoffs, he would have been a major reason. Because without him (on the offence) we wouldnt be there at all.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:33 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I think he meant:

1- if he can do it over the course of an entire season

2- if he can do it, no matter the kind of opposition he faces (big forwards, talented teams, fast skaters, etc.).

I think you take this Ribeiro thing way too personal, writting and defending him in every thread about him. Ribeiro has the potential to be a great player for the Habs, but I think the concern for Mike8 and alot of other posters is can he be a strong enough 2nd line center to consider building around him (at least that 2nd line), to go all the way to the cup one day. Ribeiro should get the spotlight because he's an important part of our offense and has alot of weaknesses and strengths that are hard to gauge because he can look great one game and invisible the next. Ribeiro is a harder player to analyse because it's harder to predict into what he'll turn to or where he'll max out. He has bigger weaknesses than guys like Koivu (speed but especially strength) but on the other hand has some of the better pure skills on the team (hockey sense and playmaking abilities).

Ribeiro has not proved he could do it over the course of 82 games, but we'll let him the chance to prove he can (he's getting there so far and not only that but looks improved if you compare him to the season's debut, when it comes to his 2-way play). Ribeiro has not either proved he could overcome the size and speed handicap in the high intensity, physical and tight checking playoffs. This is something that will need to be looked at too.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:48 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
20 goals 17 points

Nuff said.
To be fair... Ribeiro creates his own offense, Perrault is more of a streak player.

Ribeiro has proven thus far that there still is room in the NHL for offensive creativity, and i think he might have found a home in Montreal

A POOR MAN'S DATSYUK I SAY!!!!

Old
01-21-2004, 03:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Well in tonights game I thought Ribs played good and bad. He was good on the PP, very good. Man can he ever move the puck. I was watching the play develop, and I saw Ribs with the puck, and an open Ryder and was thinking he's going to pass it Ryder, but he waited a second, which I thought would have thrown off the play, but instead he made a great pass which then made it a 2-1 of sorts and a PP goal thanks to Zednik.

But on the other hand, in his own end, he had one bad giveaway (which happens to all players) but the problem I had with him on the play, was that he seemed to give up on the play in the corner, which may be a lack of confidence (this may sound dumb, but I think Ribs has just recently learned what to do in his own end. In the past, he has looked lost or confused, but now he seems to understand where he should be, and also seems to have some understanding of body positioning as well)

Overall, not a bad game, just an area of concern, but for someone who not so long ago was really bad in his own end, I think he has come a long way. His lack of strength is still my biggest concern for him, but he's on fire right now. I know may on here like the Ribs/Dags combo, but I wonder how many points Ribs would have with Balej or Pleks on his wing instead. Just a thought

Old
01-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Darz

Ribiero's stats versus 'good' teams this season

09-Oct-03 Mtl Ott 1 0 1 0
11-Oct-03 Mtl Tor 1 0 1 +1
18-Oct-03 Mtl Tor 0 0 0 0
20-Oct-03 Mtl Det 0 1 1 +1
25-Oct-03 Mtl Ott 0 0 0 -1
27-Oct-03 Mtl Phi 0 0 0 -1
15-Nov-03 Mtl Ott 0 1 1 +1
18-Nov-03 Mtl Van 0 1 1 +1
20-Nov-03 Mtl Cgy 0 1 1 0
25-Nov-03 Mtl Van 0 0 0 -2
08-Dec-03 Mtl Phi 0 1 1 +2
20-Dec-03 Mtl Tor 1 0 1 -1
13-Jan-04 Mtl StL 1 1 2 +2
20-Jan-04 Mtl Phi 0 2 2 0

12 points in 14 games and +3. So far so good.
I agree with what I think is the original intent of Mike8 thead mind you. Ribeiro hasn't really gone through an NHL playoff drive and like most I hope he passes this test with flying colours.
But against good teams so far this season, he has done quite well especially versus previous years.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Habsaku

Ribeiro has a wealth of talent, I'm hoping he can get to Doug Gilmour speed and strength wise while having his defensive play. I'm not asking for Killers grit, determination or leadership because I think thats part of someones character but I really believe that if Ribeiro is to step into the next level and become a 1st line center, he'll need to get that strength. 170pounds is unacceptable IMO, not when your in the NHL playing a position as important as center.

His season is very good so far, especially in the last few games, but I still see much improvement to be made. He needs more implication, more determination, more strength, better defense and intensity. He's not that far and with hard work in the offseason and in practices he can probably do it.

I don't know why people keep bringing Perreault up, can we stop with it already? He's always been my most hated player on the team, Ribeiro makes his wingers better while Perreault needs his wingers or he won't do a damn thing. Whoever thought Perreault was going to get the 2nd line spot must like self inflicted pain.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Bob Bastards

Rib will never be a first line center, forget it. He can be, however, a hell of a good second line for us. Can he do it on the same pace for the rest of the season? I am waiting to see that but I am pretty sure he can. Can he do it in playoff agains, lets say, the Meaple Leaf? That another story and I am really eager to see that. If he can put the same number in playoff with a greater intensity level, the guy will become a fixture for the Habs.

Can we hired Pepe Lemieux to teach him how to play playoff hockey? That could be interesting...

Closed Thread