HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are your thoughts on playoff positioning?

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Habs

vCash: 500
What are your thoughts on playoff positioning?

1. * Toronto 47 59
2. * Philadelphia 47 59
3. * Tampa Bay 45 50
4. Ottawa 46 58
5. Boston 47 56
6. New Jersey 44 55
7. Montreal 47 54
8. NY Islanders 46 49
9. NY Rangers 46 47
10. Atlanta 47 46
11. Florida 47 43
12. Buffalo 47 42
13. Carolina 46 41
14. Washington 47 35
15. Pittsburgh 47 30

I've never liked the fact that if you win your division, you get a playoff spot regardless.

Teams with less points make the playoffs, and take a playoff spot from clubs who are better statistically. The Southeast division drives me nuts.

You like the format?

Also, would you like to see the league go back to the old system, where the top 16 teams make the playoffs, and play from that format? No East vs West Champion, but rather a 1vs 16 battle?

Would it be refreshing to see different clubs play each other in the playoffs for you?

Old
01-21-2004, 05:52 AM
Marksman

I wish they would stop giving divisional winners automatic 1-2-3 seeds, which is bit unfair imo. If Tampa/Atlanta made it to the post season with fewest points, it would be only fair them to battle vs Senators or Devils, without getting breaks in easier matchup playing 6th seeded team.

Just take three division winners, and top 5 of the rest and arrange them in points order. 8th team might still have less points than first team out... but I guess there should be hockey played everywhere not just North Eastern parts.

BTW. This way we might see Leafs-Habs series on the 1st round.

Old
01-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Everyone keeps talking about the Southeast divison. Give it a couple years and watch that division, you won't be complaining about it, Florida and Atlanta are two teams threatening to break out.

Old
01-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Everyone keeps talking about the Southeast divison. Give it a couple years and watch that division, you won't be complaining about it, Florida and Atlanta are two teams threatening to break out.
Your right when you say teams like Tampa Atlanta and Florida are emerging but teams like Montreal Boston Carolina Ottawa NYR NYI are only getting better.

Old
01-21-2004, 08:14 AM
habsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
good point, but they still dont deserve a top 3 playoff spot just because they win the divison, TB should be in 8th in the conference, not third. You should have to earn your spot... otherwise the team that finishs 6th in the conference has a better chance to move onto the next round then the team that finishs 5th or 4th

Old
01-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
I've never liked the fact that if you win your division, you get a playoff spot regardless.

Teams with less points make the playoffs, and take a playoff spot from clubs who are better statistically. The Southeast division drives me nuts.

You like the format?

Also, would you like to see the league go back to the old system, where the top 16 teams make the playoffs, and play from that format? No East vs West Champion, but rather a 1vs 16 battle?

Would it be refreshing to see different clubs play each other in the playoffs for you?
I agree, I don't like the fact that a division winner automatically gets a top 3 playoff spot. It's stupid. Right now the Southeast is the problem, but it's a problem that will continually arise. I would rather see just the top eigth period.

I've often thought if they should go to top 16 in the entire league but then they would have to go to a balanced schedule (I guess they wouldn't have to but it wouldn't make much sense to have a regular season where you play inside your confrence more often than not and then a post season that doesn't take confrence play into consideration.) and that would cost teams alot more in travel, so......

Old
01-21-2004, 09:31 AM
gohabsgo

Send a message via ICQ to gohabsgo Send a message via MSN to gohabsgo Send a message via Yahoo to gohabsgo
I dunno, I think I'm gonna have to disagree. Personally, I like the fact that some of the lesser teams are getting playoff experience. If a team plays hard enough throughout an 82-game season to win a division from 4 other teams, I think they deserve a spot in the playoffs.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Habber

I agree and will take it a step further.

I wish they'd go back to the playoff format of having to play out of your own division. The rivalries it created were intense. Wouldn't you love it if we played the B's or the Leafs almost every year? The best rivalry in playoff hockey right now is Edmonton-Dallas simply because they play each other year after year. Now you rarely play a team more than once or twice in the playoffs.

Sure some years things will be unfair, just like Calgary got screwed over playing the Oilers every year in the 80's even though they were probably the 2nd best team in the league, but it will balance out in the long run.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I agree, I don't like the fact that a division winner automatically gets a top 3 playoff spot. It's stupid. Right now the Southeast is the problem, but it's a problem that will continually arise. I would rather see just the top eigth period.
Exactly. The argument about the southeast getting better is irrelevant IMO. Other divisions could get worse in the future and the problem would just be moved to another division.

If you're not good enough to be in the playoffs then you shouldn't make it based on stupid things like hockey markets. It's a disguised (or not) attempt at marketing the NHL everywhere into the states. They don't care anyway why should we change the rankings because of people who don't give a damn about our sport. It sickens me.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
1. * Toronto 47 59
2. * Philadelphia 47 59
3. * Tampa Bay 45 50
4. Ottawa 46 58
5. Boston 47 56
6. New Jersey 44 55
7. Montreal 47 54
8. NY Islanders 46 49
9. NY Rangers 46 47
10. Atlanta 47 46
11. Florida 47 43
12. Buffalo 47 42
13. Carolina 46 41
14. Washington 47 35
15. Pittsburgh 47 30

You like the format?

Not at all. There's a practical reason for this setup. It cuts down on the wear and tear and expense of travel. How would you like to see the Habs play a best of seven with Los Angeles in the first round, with several transcontinental flights, and then face the winner of a Rangers-Islanders series, in which the teams travel by bus? It would certainly not be refreshing for the affected teams.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Not at all. There's a practical reason for this setup. It cuts down on the wear and tear and expense of travel. How would you like to see the Habs play a best of seven with Los Angeles in the first round, with several transcontinental flights, and then face the winner of a Rangers-Islanders series, in which the teams travel by bus? It would certainly not be refreshing for the affected teams.
I understand the financial reasons behind the East vs West... and how the travel can cause problems with the players. However... it would be refreshing.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I agree and will take it a step further.

I wish they'd go back to the playoff format of having to play out of your own division. The rivalries it created were intense. Wouldn't you love it if we played the B's or the Leafs almost every year? The best rivalry in playoff hockey right now is Edmonton-Dallas simply because they play each other year after year. Now you rarely play a team more than once or twice in the playoffs.

Sure some years things will be unfair, just like Calgary got screwed over playing the Oilers every year in the 80's even though they were probably the 2nd best team in the league, but it will balance out in the long run.
I agree COMPLETELY. I loved the old Addams Division rivalries. That's always when the real season began for me. They couldn't do it now, though. Too many teams (and thus too many crappy teams that would get a free ride into the playoffs). In the 21-team NHL, I rarely remember a truly deserving team getting bumped from the playoffs because of the format.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I agree COMPLETELY. I loved the old Addams Division rivalries. That's always when the real season began for me. They couldn't do it now, though. Too many teams (and thus too many crappy teams that would get a free ride into the playoffs). In the 21-team NHL, I rarely remember a truly deserving team getting bumped from the playoffs because of the format.
Then again in the 21 team league, 16 made the playoffs. All the deserving teams made it, usually with a handful of teams that didn't deserve to be there.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Then again in the 21 team league, 16 made the playoffs. All the deserving teams made it, usually with a handful of teams that didn't deserve to be there.
So the solution is for the NHL to increase the playoff to the top 9 or 10 teams in each conference.

Agree?

Old
01-21-2004, 04:43 PM
eddy

I never liked the system where the divisional leader places at atleast 3rd place, regardless of how many points they have.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:55 PM
chicpea*

I am an advocate of Conference cross-over in the Semis only. That way, if there is a "travel factor" it is shared by all four teams. Even intra-conference semis can be bad though - recall Minnesota vs Anaheim.

Closed Thread