HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any Chance Selanne sign in St. Louis now?

Old
12-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Halifax Hellfish

vCash: 500
Any Chance Selanne sign in St. Louis now?

Any chance Selanne will sign in St. Louis now that his buddies Karyia and McDonald are there?

Halifax Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Blueski

I seriously doubt it.

A. He has his cup so that motivating factor is gone.

B. He lives in Anaheim where he and his wife just had a baby, so that is a motivation to stay close to home.

C. He has stated before that if he comes back, it would only be to Anaheim.

Now, I can only think of one reason he would want to sign here to play this year and that is to enjoy playing one last season with Kariya. They are still quite close from all accounts and if I had accomplished everything I wanted to at the pinnacle of my career, I would want the last hurrah (so to speak) to be on my terms with the people I wanted around me. That would be the only reason to sign here this season.

But I think there is a better chance of IB lacing them up for us this season that Selanne...lol

Blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:03 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueski View Post
I seriously doubt it.

A. He has his cup so that motivating factor is gone.

B. He lives in Anaheim where he and his wife just had a baby, so that is a motivation to stay close to home.

C. He has stated before that if he comes back, it would only be to Anaheim.

Now, I can only think of one reason he would want to sign here to play this year and that is to enjoy playing one last season with Kariya. They are still quite close from all accounts and if I had accomplished everything I wanted to at the pinnacle of my career, I would want the last hurrah (so to speak) to be on my terms with the people I wanted around me. That would be the only reason to sign here this season.

But I think there is a better chance of IB lacing them up for us this season that Selanne...lol
are you insinuating that IB can't even tie up his own shoes anymore? He could go velcro, right?

they still make velcro, right?

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Blueski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
are you insinuating that IB can't even tie up his own shoes anymore? He could go velcro, right?

they still make velcro, right?
You have obviously never seen how "coordinated" our venerable moderator is...lol

Blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:05 PM
BluesDarb

Please don't toy with my emotions...

I'd need a change of pants if Selanne came to the Blues.

What a Christmas gift that would be, eh?

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Robb_K

I really doubt that he will sign with The Blues. But now that there won't be enough cap room for him, and MacDonald is gone, too, he is a lot less likely to sign with The Ducks. And THAT was the ONLY team he said he'd come out of retirement for.

So, ... now that The Blues have BOTH Kariya AND MacDonald,-and they are making a playoff push.... MAYBE Selanne will get the urge to play again for just a 1/2 season and the playoffs. Paying him $1 million for just a playoff run and the playoffs this season, would NOT ruin The Blues long term youth movement and rebuilding.

I would welcome him to The Blues, just to help go further in the playoffs, so The Blues' youth could know what it's like to play winning hockey in The NHL. That would help carry them until E.J., Perron, Wagner,Oshie, Berglund, Polak, Eller, and the rest of the young players can carry the team.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:29 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I really doubt that he will sign with The Blues. But now that there won't be enough cap room for him, and MacDonald is gone, too, he is a lot less likely to sign with The Ducks. And THAT was the ONLY team he said he'd come out of retirement for.

So, ... now that The Blues have BOTH Kariya AND MacDonald,-and they are making a playoff push.... MAYBE Selanne will get the urge to play again for just a 1/2 season and the playoffs. Paying him $1 million for just a playoff run and the playoffs this season, would NOT ruin The Blues long term youth movement and rebuilding.

I would welcome him to The Blues, just to help go further in the playoffs, so The Blues' youth could know what it's like to play winning hockey in The NHL. That would help carry them until E.J., Perron, Wagner,Oshie, Berglund, Polak, Eller, and the rest of the young players can carry the team.
Ok, now my emotions have officially been toyed with....thanks a lot!

Old
12-15-2007, 04:44 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

From what little I've heard about Teemu this season the on thing I thought I read was that he hasn't even been skating this season. I, for one, don't want Selanne because I feel he truly is done. His fire for the game is out.

Save the space and $$$ for the next GM put into a tough spot who absolutely needs to make a deal. We're still shopping at the 2nd hand stores people...but we are inching closer to the big retail outlets.

Old
12-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
There is no way he is moving from Coto de Caza and his 13 little Teemus for Andy Mac. The Blues are a good team, but I think they'd have to be the best team in the league to even get him to think about it.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 06:49 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

ericnut, the same guy who first called the Weight trade (one day before Strickland) said that Teemu was coming back with the Ducks...

You can forget him...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Sharks14*

Selanne won't sign with the Blues. He needs to make up his mind.

Sharks14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
From what little I've heard about Teemu this season the on thing I thought I read was that he hasn't even been skating this season. I, for one, don't want Selanne because I feel he truly is done. His fire for the game is out.
Strickland mentioned in his last buzz report that he's been working out since training camp on his own, and that the Blues are aware of this.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 12:34 AM
BluesDarb

If Selanne comes to the Blues I'm really gonna lose it.....for Strickland to bring it up lends a bit of credibility to all this chatter....but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Will explode if it comes to pass....

Anticipation.....anticipation......

Old
12-16-2007, 01:55 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05 View Post
Strickland mentioned in his last buzz report that he's been working out since training camp on his own, and that the Blues are aware of this.
I still don't want him.

Old
12-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post

You forgot about the part where Anaheim has nearly $3 million in cap room. If St.Louis offers him a $1 million contract, Anaheim can easily double it. There are no cap issues for this year in Anaheim, almost the exact opposite(but not quite).

Also, Strickland's blog talked about how the Blues would be interested. Well, every team in the league probably has a bit of interest, but that isn't going to make Selanne leave his newborn.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Wes McSnipes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
You forgot about the part where Anaheim has nearly $3 million in cap room. If St.Louis offers him a $1 million contract, Anaheim can easily double it. There are no cap issues for this year in Anaheim, almost the exact opposite(but not quite).
You act like all we have is $1 million. We have more cap room than the Ducks, so if Anaheim offers him a 2 or 3 million dollar deal, the Blues can easily match it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Also, Strickland's blog talked about how the Blues would be interested. Well, every team in the league probably has a bit of interest, but that isn't going to make Selanne leave his newborn.
Oh, and he IS going to leave his newborn for Anaheim?

Wes McSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes McSnipes View Post

Oh, and he IS going to leave his newborn for Anaheim?
Well his newborn is in Anaheim so he wouldn't really be leaving her now would he?

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 11:48 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Well his newborn is in Anaheim so he wouldn't really be leaving her now would he?
Cuz the Ducks don't have road games, huh?

Coming back to ANY team will mean less time with family. It's zero sum.

Old
12-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Metallian*

I would love for him to play for the Blues

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Ashe

I think it's either the ducks; or no one. He could go to the blues; But with his kid and stuff; I doubt he will. Then again..I'd love a Kariya Selanne line again...Especially since Kariya seems to have stopped worrying about crossing middle ice finally

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Gman7191

Quote:
I think it's either the ducks; or no one. He could go to the blues; But with his kid and stuff; I doubt he will. Then again..I'd love a Kariya Selanne line again...Especially since Kariya seems to have stopped worrying about crossing middle ice finally
That would be due to the fact that Scott Stevens is retired and in the Hall.

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 90
I would be SHOCKED and I mean absolutley shocked if he signed for a team other than Anaheim.

Leaving his family and the place he has lived at for so long...for one season? I don't see it.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Rabid platypus
Vegas Blues

Selanne has stated that if he didnt sign with the ducks, St Louis would be one of the places he would consider.

Rabid platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post
I would be SHOCKED and I mean absolutley shocked if he signed for a team other than Anaheim.

Leaving his family and the place he has lived at for so long...for one season? I don't see it.
he did it for colorado

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Blue Sur

Wouldn't this pretty much contradict the Blues' "policy" of infusing youth into the line-up, just echoed by JD ("need to get younger") in connection with the Weight trade? (don't have the link here, but possibly in the recent online article by JR)

Another aspect to consider: how would the young, "homegrown" forwards react if the team hauled in another established veteran? While some might say that would send a message, indeed, it would. We (i.e. the management) don't trust our young guys to take over scoring roles. Hasn't the team already skated - and stumbled - down that path to mediocrity?

Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote