HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Devils America's hockey team???

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Head
I remember the 1985 Habs having at least 9 or 10 Americans.
How ironic would that be, the Habs are the last team I would have thought to accomplished that, but as Lard_Lad and Doomsday Device have pointed out it might have happened as early as the 1930's.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Did you join these boards just to rip into players and teams you don't like? If you don't have anything usefull to say just don't say it.
No, the idea that the Devils are Americas team is laughable, they cant sell out their arena and there are more Flyer fans in NJ than Devil fans.
How does that make them Americas team?
If such a stupid thread wasnt posted Id have no need to point out this fact.
If NJ doesnt care about the Devils, what makes you think the rest of America does?

Old
01-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Dr Love

When you call a team "America's Team" you do not do so because of the number of Americans. You do so because they are favorite among Americans and the team that America cares about the most. It doesn't matter how you want to use the term, the reality is that it is for the team people care about. Don't get mad at others because you completely misused a phrase.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Kukla

Wings D when healthy is USA lead, Chelios, Schneider and Hatcher.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
When you call a team "America's Team" you do not do so because of the number of Americans. You do so because they are favorite among Americans and the team that America cares about the most. It doesn't matter how you want to use the term, the reality is that it is for the team people care about. Don't get mad at others because you completely misused a phrase.
Granted I might have misused the phrase but if one had read the thread from the top it should be clear that I'm being factious with the title and even recognized that I probaly should have phrase it differntly but not once in this whole thread did I mention any belief that they are "America's Team" but that they have a unsual amount of americans on it and I was wondering if it was accomplished before for if it was and it seems that it has been, how great that is for USA hockey. But instead you get commets like the post before you by Steve L who's more interested in putting words in my mouth and turning this thread into an ugly one.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Granted I might have misused the phrase but if one had read the thread from the top it should be clear that I'm being factious with the title and even recognized that I probaly should have phrase it differntly but not once in this whole thread did I mention any belief that they are "America's Team" but that they have a unsual amount of americans on it and I was wondering if it was accomplished before for if it was and it seems that it has been, how great that is for USA hockey. But instead you get commets like the post before you by Steve L who's more interested in putting words in my mouth and turning this thread into an ugly one.
You might want to put another period or some commas in that post.

No, you didn't say that you saw them as "America's Team," but don't get all hissy when people critisize you for it.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Ummm... no he didn't. Check his first post, it's all about the quantity of Americans on the team, nothing about the Devils being "America's Team."

Old
01-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Ummm... no he didn't. Check his first post, it's all about the quantity of Americans on the team, nothing about the Devils being "America's Team."
Read my first post, I already qualified my remarks by recognizing that.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
You might want to put another period or some commas in that post.

No, you didn't say that you saw them as "America's Team," but don't get all hissy when people critisize you for it.
I'm, not. getting, "hissy" I'm. cool, dude.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

Why don't you give it a rest? He can use the term anyway he wants to. He clearly explained what he was getting at in his original post, and instead of addressing that, people like yourself are spouting sematics. Why even bother posting in this thread? I swear the internet "community" is getting worse and worse every day.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
"americans team" has to have more americans then other nationalites?

i would say the Rags are "america's team"

Old
01-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Why don't you give it a rest? He can use the term anyway he wants to. He clearly explained what he was getting at in his original post, and instead of addressing that, people like yourself are spouting sematics. Why even bother posting in this thread? I swear the internet "community" is getting worse and worse every day.
Why don't you give it a rest. You go out of your way to critisize me for critisizing him? Are you the kettle or the pot? I'm not spouting semantics, I'm spouting how it is. Look at the responses on this post, a majority of people see the term "America's Team" the same way I stated. I never said what he did was wrong or dumb, just that what he did was percieved a certain way, why it was, and why he shouldn't get all *****y because the rest of the free world sees a statement differently than he does. He got hissy and moaned about it, and we had a dialouge. No need for you to waltz on in and try and teach me a lesson that isn't there.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Why don't you give it a rest. You go out of your way to critisize me for critisizing him? Are you the kettle or the pot? I'm not spouting semantics, I'm spouting how it is. Look at the responses on this post, a majority of people see the term "America's Team" the same way I stated. I never said what he did was wrong or dumb, just that what he did was percieved a certain way, why it was, and why he shouldn't get all *****y because the rest of the free world sees a statement differently than he does. He got hissy and moaned about it, and we had a dialouge. No need for you to waltz on in and try and teach me a lesson that isn't there.
I didn't get hissy maybe I moaned a little about it but I didn't get hissy, if anything I got frustrated and pissed off at uncalled for attacks on something I never said just like R&R pointed out.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
I didn't get hissy maybe I moaned a little about it but I didn't get hissy, if anything I got frustrated and pissed off at uncalled for attacks on something I never said just like R&R pointed out.
Getting frustrated and pissed off is getting hissy. Any more terms you want to mess up today?

Old
01-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Sotnos

Drop it already people.

Geez, you all are cranky today!

Old
01-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Drop it already people.

Geez, you all are cranky today!
I would say "hissy" :p

Okay, that's the last from me.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
i would say the Rags are "america's team"
Yikes...

Old
01-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
No, the idea that the Devils are Americas team is laughable, they cant sell out their arena and there are more Flyer fans in NJ than Devil fans.
How does that make them Americas team?
If such a stupid thread wasnt posted Id have no need to point out this fact.
If NJ doesnt care about the Devils, what makes you think the rest of America does?
Did you write in this thread just to bash the Devils? Because if so shut up. This thread isn't about that and it has been stated many times before.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Lambert Closse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
New Jersey doesnt even care about the Devils.. they're not "Americas team"

A team that holds its championship parade doesn't deserve to be call "Americas Team".

Old
01-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
A team that holds its championship parade doesn't deserve to be call "Americas Team".
Huh??? You forgot to put parking lot in there right?

Old
01-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Andre the Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
Well said.

Old
01-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Taylor21
HFBoards Sponsor

The 1937-38 Stanley Cup champion Black Hawks had an equal number of Canadians and Americans also. That 50% American lineup is the highest percentage of Americans on a Cup winner. As a side note this team managed to win the Cup despite a regular season record of 14-25-9 and being forced to use a minor league goaltender they found in a bar for Game 1 of the finals.[/QUOTE]

This team was coached by Paul Stewarts grandfather.

As for this thread being about who is America's team the initial thread clearly states where is was trying to go. As for the people complaining about the Devils being America's team is people who wish their team could have the success the Devils enjoy.

Old
01-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
Did you write in this thread just to bash the Devils? Because if so shut up. This thread isn't about that and it has been stated many times before.
The thread start obviously wanted to boast about the Devils, of course hes gonna get negative replies just as a Leaf fan would if he said they were Canandas team.
Other people seem to think they are not Americas team either.

Old
01-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

OMG, are you serious!? America's Team!? Christ...

Old
01-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
The thread start obviously wanted to boast about the Devils, of course hes gonna get negative replies just as a Leaf fan would if he said they were Canandas team.
Other people seem to think they are not Americas team either.
Hey moron point to any part of this thread where I did any boasting of the Devils. I'm more convinced the more I read what you post around here that you are looking to take shots at people rather than take part in any intelligent conversations. You are basing this on the title of the thread which I'm sure if I stated any different you'd still be acting like an ass in this thread just because it's about the Devils and started by a Devils fan who you have had disagreements with before. This hockey forum is not intented for this and but I really don't think you could give a **** and that my friend is sadder than any of your biased useless posts.

Closed Thread