HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Brewer stepping up

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 11:35 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Eric Brewer stepping up

Brewer is finally looking like a bonafide #1 defensemen. He has been simply dominant of late. I am really drooling over the Oilers future defense. It might just be the best in the league(One of Alberta teams will have the best defense anyway). Brewer, Semenov, Lynch, Wowitka, Greene, and Bergeron will be an awesome grouping for years to come.

Here's one recent comment by MacT that really caught my eye about Brewer who seems to thrive with more ice time.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040120/col_jones-sun.html

"He's playing like he's never played before," said MacTavish. "In the last four games Eric Brewer has been our most dominant player by far."

Old
01-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Lowetide

He's playing huge minutes, too, massive minutes. It's like night and day from the beginning of the year, and a huge turnaround from even ten games ago.

The thing about Brewer is that he won't be 25 until April. He'll have played about 400 NHL games by then, way ahead of other highly ranked dmen from his draft year (Paul Mara, Nick Boynton, Brad Ference, Scott Hannan).

He's been around for so long we think he's as old as Tom Poti. Fact is, he's two years younger.

Old
01-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Hemsky01

Brewer has been awesome. I think this extra ice-time with Smith out has been great for him. I wouldn't trade him for Lecalvier. Big D-men like that are just impossible to find.

Old
01-20-2004, 11:49 PM
jadeddog

i have to agree that with brewer, semenov and possibly wowitka the oilers look like they will have some pretty good pairings for the future.... im not sold on lynch or MAB yet (though lynch looks to have some real promise)...... if they can keep staios here for the length of his new contract, they could be good for a while yet..... semenov and brewer really look like the number 1 and 2 of the future right now though, they have both been unbelievable as of late...... if wowitka turns out to be what some people think he could be (a solid 3-4 dman) and if lynch could turn out to be a good 5-6 man, they really could be setup nicely

Old
01-20-2004, 11:55 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i have to agree that with brewer, semenov and possibly wowitka the oilers look like they will have some pretty good pairings for the future.... im not sold on lynch or MAB yet (though lynch looks to have some real promise)...... if they can keep staios here for the length of his new contract, they could be good for a while yet..... semenov and brewer really look like the number 1 and 2 of the future right now though, they have both been unbelievable as of late...... if wowitka turns out to be what some people think he could be (a solid 3-4 dman) and if lynch could turn out to be a good 5-6 man, they really could be setup nicely
I Think Lynch or Greene will make it as a really good number 4 defenceman does anybody know how Jan Horacek is doing? i love this kids physical abilitys

Old
01-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Oi'll say!

If Brewer really was on the blocks in recent weeks as so many rumours have suggested, hopefully his recent play has driven his price to untouchable status where it should have been all along.

It's really nice to see an Oiler youth live up to his potential, hopefully it's the start of a trend.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Mr Sakich

I am not a mact basher, but I wish he would find a pairing for eric and stick to it. The worst thing that ever happened to eric was Tom Poti. It set him back 2 years.

Last year, every 2nd shift eric had was with a rookie (semenov). Keep eric with staois for a couple of years and watch him grow.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
Brewer has been awesome. I think this extra ice-time with Smith out has been great for him. I wouldn't trade him for Lecalvier. Big D-men like that are just impossible to find.
How bout today's D-fense? Brewer, Smith, ulanov, Staois, Semenov, Cross & Fergie as a #7 dman (where he belongs)

Wow.

Good Job Mr. Lowe

Old
01-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
does anybody know how Jan Horacek is doing? i love this kids physical abilitys
For the life of me I can't remember why (shoulder or maybe knee, I think), but he's been out of the lineup for a long time. He's only played 8 games, and the numbers aren't good - no goals, 1 assist, 16 PIM, and -9.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Digger12

This is the best Brewer's looked in over 2 years. He finally looks like he's got his strength back, last year forwards were knocking him off the puck and pressuring him into making dumb decisions...this year, Brewer's doing the pushing and responding to the pressure better and *gasp* USING his fellow dman to help him out instead of trying to do everything himself in his own end.

The offense is nothing spectacular, but keep playing like this and I really won't give a damn.

You want a key hint that he's playing well? I can't remember the last time he dropped an f-bomb loud enough for me to hear it from Elk Point...last year I could hear it two to three times a home game.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:47 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
He's playing huge minutes, too, massive minutes. It's like night and day from the beginning of the year, and a huge turnaround from even ten games ago.

The thing about Brewer is that he won't be 25 until April. He'll have played about 400 NHL games by then, way ahead of other highly ranked dmen from his draft year (Paul Mara, Nick Boynton, Brad Ference, Scott Hannan).

He's been around for so long we think he's as old as Tom Poti. Fact is, he's two years younger.
I think a lot of people forget how young he still is. I have felt for a long time though that the way to get the most out of Brewer is to ride him and give him those big minutes. Semenov is not quite ready but he is another one that should be in the 25-30 minute range as he starts to hit his stride in the next year. Those big guys who can skate just always seem to get stronger the more you play them.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:00 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
About him droping an F-bomb - that's SOOO true, lol. That was always one of my arguements when people try to say that he doesn't care enough out there because he is really shy and doesn't get to excited in celebrating. But you KNOW the emotion, desire, and caring is there when he screws up!!! It's sad, but he's the one guy I don't overly mind seeing make a goof, cause for some reason it's SO funny to see a guy as shy as him yell that magic four letter word so that you could hear it while sitting up in the terrace wearing ear muffs!

But ya, he's really coming around. I knew he would. He's improved each and every year IMO. And although he only has 11 points right now, I wouldn't be suprised if this is his first year he that he breaks teh 30 point mark. I know that that is probably optimistic, but I really think that he'll flirt with that number.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:09 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
If Brewer really was on the blocks in recent weeks as so many rumours have suggested, hopefully his recent play has driven his price to untouchable status where it should have been all along.

It's really nice to see an Oiler youth live up to his potential, hopefully it's the start of a trend.
Let's revisit this...if Brewer could be traded for Lecavalier straight across right now, would you do it?

It'd be tough, but I keep Brewer...barely.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:15 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
For Vinny? jeez.... I dunno. If it was to start a franchise - I'd pick Vinny. But for the Oilers, I'd def. keep Brewer. Two of our top four prospects are centers and with Stoll and York up in the bigs that will be around for a good many years I'd def. keep Brewer who, IMO, has the greatest potential on the Oilers blueline and may challenge for a Norris some day (don't blast me before you recognize the "may")

Old
01-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Cerebral

Brewer has been fantastic the past month or so.. nice to see him string together a lot of good games in a row!

Old
01-21-2004, 02:41 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Let's revisit this...if Brewer could be traded for Lecavalier straight across right now, would you do it?
Yes, Vinny-type players are the rarer and more valuable commodity. Not to mention exactly the kind of player we need in the future to make this team go. I'd rather get him w/o giving up Brew, but if that offer came across the desk, and I couldn't substitute a package involving Smith, Horcoff, Laraque, Isbister, Rita or whomever, then yes, I'd go straight up with that.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Originally posted by mr sakichLast year, every 2nd shift eric had was with a rookie (semenov). Keep eric with staois for a couple of years and watch him grow.
I couldn't agree with this more. Over the last few games, I've really, really liked the Staios-Brewer pairing. In many ways, Brewer's style is alot like Jovanovski's; he skates a ton each shift and likes to gamble either offensively or in looking for a big hit. A no-panic, defensive stalwart like Staios is the perfect fit, and he seems to have given Brewer the confidence to try some big things (would he have attempted that 'two-pin' hip-check he threw against the Blue Jackets a few months ago?).

If Brewer could just bump up his offense, he'd be a Norris contender. Offensively, he seems to me like the defensive version of Brad Isbister; great skill set, great moves, but he always seems to lack that fine motor coordination around the net.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Marconius

sounds like there is going to be an awful lot of backpedaling on Brewer's ability..... :p

Old
01-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I am not a mact basher, but I wish he would find a pairing for eric and stick to it. The worst thing that ever happened to eric was Tom Poti. It set him back 2 years.

Last year, every 2nd shift eric had was with a rookie (semenov). Keep eric with staois for a couple of years and watch him grow.

You know what Mr. Sakich? I think you've just hit on the biggest secret of Brewer's transformation! I don't think its the improved minutes. I think you're right, MacT changed Brewer's partner from Cross to Staios (because Smith went down) and that's been the big Change for Eric. Similarly, Semenov has improved since his partner has been Ulanov. Trend? Vets to help the young D out!

As for Vinny, nah, I don't like the rumors I hear about his feuding with Torterella and his sub par production. Thornton would be the franchise centre in my mind.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:30 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
As for Vinny, nah, I don't like the rumors I hear about his feuding with Torterella and his sub par production. Thornton would be the franchise centre in my mind.
Surprisingly, I'd probably take Vinny over Thornton(not because of ability though).

Thornton is already priced out of Edmonton and is in the last year of his contract which pays him 6 Million per year. As well Thornton is really starting to suffer from chronic back pain. Unfortunately, I'm scared Thornton will follow in the footsteps of all other Boston Superstars(Bobby Orr, Cam Neely) and be forced to retire early as a result of injuries.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Brewer is finally looking like a bonafide #1 defensemen. He has been simply dominant of late. I am really drooling over the Oilers future defense. It might just be the best in the league(One of Alberta teams will have the best defense anyway). Brewer, Semenov, Lynch, Wowitka, Greene, and Bergeron will be an awesome grouping for years to come.

Here's one recent comment by MacT that really caught my eye about Brewer who seems to thrive with more ice time.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040120/col_jones-sun.html

"He's playing like he's never played before," said MacTavish. "In the last four games Eric Brewer has been our most dominant player by far."

Brewer really started to turn his game around when he got paired up with Jason Smith and yet he's still playing extremely well with Staios. It's really encouraging how well he's playing without Gator and with the "A" on his chest. Our defence will be very strong when Gator returns.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:34 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis
Brewer really started to turn his game around when he got paired up with Jason Smith and yet he's still playing extremely well with Staios. It's really encouraging how well he's playing without Gator and with the "A" on his chest. Our defence will be very strong when Gator returns.
You're right, and hats off to Lowe for not panicking & shipping off Brewer for a not-so-great return earlier in the season.

But that brings up another question - when Smith comes back, who gets bumped down to the 3rd pairing? I'm actually wondering if they'll do something like Brewer-Smith, Staios-Cross, and then Ulanov-Semenov...yet I like to see Ulanov in the top-4, but how do you break up the OV blueline when they play so well together? Does you (gasp) move Staios onto the 3rd pairing with Cross??? Wow. Some reasonably tough decisions.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
You're right, and hats off to Lowe for not panicking & shipping off Brewer for a not-so-great return earlier in the season.

But that brings up another question - when Smith comes back, who gets bumped down to the 3rd pairing? I'm actually wondering if they'll do something like Brewer-Smith, Staios-Cross, and then Ulanov-Semenov...yet I like to see Ulanov in the top-4, but how do you break up the OV blueline when they play so well together? Does you (gasp) move Staios onto the 3rd pairing with Cross??? Wow. Some reasonably tough decisions.
What I find funny is how quickly the tune has changed from the start of the season...I thought our D was supposed to be decimated with the loss of Niinimaa, Brewer overpaid and stagnating, and no real dman prospects in the system other than Lynch and Greene down the road?

Shift to the present, and look what's happened:

-Brewer seems to have found his '01 form again.

-Semenov is showing more confidence after a sluggish start.

-Ulanov is an Oiler again (who predicted that?) and playing like he never left. It can't be overstated how important it's been to Semenov, even if only to have a fellow Russian to talk to.

-Lowe obtains Jeff Woywitka, Lynch's former dman parter in junior.

-Lynch is having an excellent rookie AHL campaign, 2nd in scoring among rookie dmen...and the guy ahead of him is over 3 years older. And let me add, has outperformed the (IMO) overhyped Carlo Colaiacovo.

-Bergeron, despite some recent setbacks, has shown a plus skillset and enough physical play to allay some of the fears that he's too small for the NHL game.

-Luoma gave a decent showing in his brief callup.

All in all, a very interesting mix and Lowe has at least done some good work in replenishing the Oilers' dman depth, even if he hasn't gotten someone of Niinimaa's quality at this point in time.

Last edited by Digger12: 01-21-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old
01-21-2004, 06:11 PM
CanmoreMike

I still think that the guy to move for a franchise player is Smyth. I think Smyth has a much more loyal following in this town than Brewer, but Smyth is replaceable and Brewer isn't.

Lecavalier brings the skill that Smyth doesn't and I would love to see us make that deal. Our top four left wings would be Isbister, Torres, Moreau and Chimera. We'd still have some grit and skill on the wings. Minus Brewer and we lose A LOT!

Old
01-21-2004, 06:28 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
-Ulanov is an Oiler again (who predicted that?)
I did

Closed Thread