HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any interest in Ryder?

Old
12-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Blue Sur

vCash: 500
What do stats indicate in Ryder's case? (Some) Habs fans may describe him as a 30-goal scorer, given his numbers from past seasons. This year, however, he is nowhere near (lucky to pass the ten-goal mark at this rate). So which one is it? A constant scoring threat or a slumping, prospective UFA? The wannabe GMs put a positive spin on him and shop him around as the real deal. Yet the reality, light years from the fantasyland of a hockey fan, gives a much different (and bleaker) view on his current ability.

Should the Blues go shopping Jackman, they should find something more beneficial (and valuable) than the three-goal wonder from Hab Island.

Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 07:44 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
T'ain't necessarily so, Zaph.

Stats are not the be-all and end-all to player evaluation, but you can infer some of a player's attributes from his stats, especially when taken in the context of the other players on his team.

For example, if you have a defenseman who has few goals but a lot of assists, and you note that he plays on the power play a lot (easy to get that stat nowadays), and you note that the other guys on his team who play roughly the same amount of time on the PP have a lot of goals, you can make a pretty reasonable inference that said defenseman probably has a good, hard, accurate shot that gets through for tip-ins and rebounds.

That's one example of inferring attributes from stats, right off the top of my head. I'm sure our knowledgeable poster base can come up wth a few more.

P_B

or he was playing for the 1986 Edmonton Oilers. All I am saying is that stats are subjective and we can assume or infer certain attributes to a player but without using that data to get visual confirmation of how a player plays, what the situations are...especially when it comes to defencement...its all just assumption and inference and not proof.

I suppose stats can be helpful in deduction but to use them as reference or proof of something is asinine and fantasy hockey crap. I am certain coaches, GMs, scouts and such "utilize" stats but more to help them know what to look for and not as proof of a players worth.

only lawyers and agents utilize stats to deduce a players worth and that tends to occur in contract negotiation and arbitration.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 05:08 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Here are my offers:

Ryder and 3rd for Jackman

Ryder and Ben Maxwell for Backman

Thoughts? Offers?
I would do Ryder and Maxwell for Backman in a heartbeat if we were GM's