HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Floor Hockey goalie advice

Old
01-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Leif

vCash: 500
Floor Hockey goalie advice

Me and my friends always play on a floor hockey team in our college intramerals and this season our goalie has quite. So I'm a avid hockey fan and have talked to goalies about techniques and volunteered to play goal. After the first game I got lit up for 17, mostly to the lower 90's I am in desprite need of help/instruction. I can't drop in the butterfly, but im willing to do the appropriate scretchs i'm very flexible for a guy (can do the bridge and foot behind my head), and have no previous goalie experience. So all advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am a lean 5'10(155lbs) if that effects which style I should play

Leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:02 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Big key to playing ball hockey goalie is positioning, the ball dips and dives all over the place. Your best bet is to just get to where you think it's going, and make yourself big until you get a good feel for how the ball moves.

I play mostly a butterfly when I play ball hockey and it seems to work for me. Make sure you're controlling your rebounds as well.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Leif

Assume I know nothing, so how do I work on playing the butterfly? how do I control rebounds? I'm willing to work at it just need to know explicitly what to do, I appreciate the input but more would be really appreciated. And My size has been seen as a problem playing floor hockey since I can't move once I go down.

Old
01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goaltender#Butterfly_style

The key to it is making sure you've got your legs fanned as much as possible without leaving the 5 hole open. Also, cover as much of the upper net as possible with your chest and gloves.

What type of pads are you using?

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Leif

I can't seem to bend my legs to get into the butterfly which is my problem with it.

For pads the college gives out standard pads, so some really old and heavy cooper leg pads, a freakin' baseball glove and a TPS street hockey blocker. The shoulder pads are pretty tiny too, just some crappy street hockey types.

Old
01-31-2007, 08:01 AM
MikeD

http:www.hawksice.com/tips.html

Download and read. Most of it transitions well to floor hickey. You just dont have skates so take into consideration shuffles become side steps, LOTS of small side steps. Wide stance for floor hockey isnt good. Keep it narrowed at about shoulder width or just slightly more. T-push on floor is much the same except you dont glide to your point, pivot and stop. The lead foot still turns, you lead with the stick and gloves to the point you want to get to....

one of the easiest things to do is get caught watching, forgeting to side step to follow the ball location. Butterfly is not the floor hockey goalies best friend. Most shots are lifted and playing a stand up, narrowed stance will often give best results.

Tips....there are players who can and will shoot from the blue line, letting go of a hell of a shot that will curve out and come back in. It will look to be going wide and cut back in and go in just inside the post. When you encounter that, the tendancy is to push out to cover more angle. Its the wrong choice. When you push out you put yourself at a point where the curve has the ball farthest it can get from you. Your playing into the shooters trap. Those you learn to retreat. Example...player has ball at the point to your left side and is a left handed shooter. Player who can control that curve will shoot it, looking to go wide to your right side. Retreat slightly back and over slightly to your right post to make the save.....thats not to say retreat all the way to the goal line but for those with the wickedest shot speed and control of curve you just might need to.

Tips....Running in, a player wil many times let a shot off in stride. Can catch you off guard to score a goal you never even make a move on. The left handed shooter..be aware of each time that right foot lands in their stride. Right handed shooter...left foot landing. This will help you be more prepared for the shot on those who use that tactic.

Have fun and start to learn the shooters....it will help, alot.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:54 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Practice dropping down to Tretiak (one knee down to the ground, the other pad doing the work). Practice the timing alot with this...

Before you learn to best control rebounds, make crazy saves to block the puck, dive onto it, attack the forwards, etc.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:28 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
attack the forwards, etc.
You meant challenge the forwards? Cause attack means to start fighting them and while that may prevent a goal, I doubt the goalie would stay in the game.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 04:24 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra View Post
You meant challenge the forwards? Cause attack means to start fighting them and while that may prevent a goal, I doubt the goalie would stay in the game.
yeah... I meant challenge them... But in breakaway situations I'd attack the forwards and make it look like I am going after the puck

going low and trying to erase any angle the forward could hold his stick in and shoot against the goal, while slightly tackling their legs with my pads ^^

Old
02-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Leif

The one thing I am good at is that attacking the shooter move, did it at least 5 times last game and only got burned once and no one fights in floor hockey so taking out the forward seems kosher. Thanks alot for all the advice.

Old
02-08-2007, 10:22 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
The one thing I am good at is that attacking the shooter move, did it at least 5 times last game and only got burned once and no one fights in floor hockey so taking out the forward seems kosher. Thanks alot for all the advice.
Practice the Tretiak to perfection and you'll be fine without the butterfly to make those saves

Old
02-08-2007, 10:30 AM
McNasty

In ball hockey the thing you have to fear is a quick shot, when i play i look to shoot when the goalie lifts a foot to move backward. A quick release burns you as a goalie with a ball, so your best bet is too do your best on cutting angles down, because with a ball picking a corner isn't too bad unless of course you can't see it.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 12:48 AM
FinnishCanucksFan

Yes, in ball hockey I use more of a stand up stance and it has yet to burn me, on my high school team we haven't been scored on yet this season (of course the team in front of me is amazing so that helps ALOT). When I first started I used to have the tendency of not getting my body in front of the ball, but rather throwing out an arm or a leg to try and make an easy save look spectacular. I recommend against this, as it was a rather sad deboccle. Now I stay square to the shooter and glance at where they are looking, whether they are going to pass or shoot, this is very important. And to the person who said there is no fighting in floor hockey, you should come to our side league that we play in our recreation center, at least 3 a game

FinnishCanucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote