HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Big rumour involving Washington, Dallas & Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Benji Frank

vCash: 500
Big rumour involving Washington, Dallas & Toronto?

Yonkman may be headed to Dallas in a rumoured, three-way trade between Washington, Dallas and Toronto, says a pre-game report on Toronto radio station MOJO640. Dallas loves big defensemen, and Yonkman fits the bill. He's a 6'6", 235 lb., stay-at-home monster with an enormous reach who had been working on developing a nasty streak before being sidelined by a knee injury in October. Dallas has struggled without big Derian Hatcher, and while Yonkman is a long way from being like Hatcher, perhaps the Stars see that kind of potential. The rest of the trade is complicated, with Sergei Gonchar going to Toronto, Nik Antropov and Aki Berg of Toronto joining Yonkman in Dallas, and Steve Ott and Antti Miettinenn going to Washington. Draft picks are also involved. We'll let you know if it comes to pass, but you may want to file Yonkman's name away as a potential keeper if he gets to a better defensive team like the Stars.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:46 PM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank
Yonkman may be headed to Dallas in a rumoured, three-way trade between Washington, Dallas and Toronto, says a pre-game report on Toronto radio station MOJO640. Dallas loves big defensemen, and Yonkman fits the bill. He's a 6'6", 235 lb., stay-at-home monster with an enormous reach who had been working on developing a nasty streak before being sidelined by a knee injury in October. Dallas has struggled without big Derian Hatcher, and while Yonkman is a long way from being like Hatcher, perhaps the Stars see that kind of potential. The rest of the trade is complicated, with Sergei Gonchar going to Toronto, Nik Antropov and Aki Berg of Toronto joining Yonkman in Dallas, and Steve Ott and Antti Miettinenn going to Washington. Draft picks are also involved. We'll let you know if it comes to pass, but you may want to file Yonkman's name away as a potential keeper if he gets to a better defensive team like the Stars.
Hmmm, thats an interesting trade, I like Gonchar, I think I'd have to see the picks involved to see if the other teams would do the trades.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:48 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
This makes little sense. Washington would be giving up the most (Gonchar) while getting the least return (Ott and Miettinenn).

Old
01-20-2004, 10:48 PM
MoS*

wait, so let me get this straight.

Toronto gives up nik antropov and aki berg but they get sergei gonchar?
they better be three to four 1st rounders involved from toronto's perspective. i also noticed dallas is giving up ott and miettinen.

shiz, the canucks have a log jam at d, but i bet burke'd easily match or beat that.

not attacking you personally but no way would gonchar be that cheap to fetch in a trade. even if he was terrible defensively (which he certainly certainly is not), he is the best offensive defenseman in the league as of right now. and he doesn't carry the injury problems or the heavy salary liability to boot.

and i am a bit befuddled by the fact dallas would give up ott and miettinenn for yonkman as the "appeal". sure draft picks'd be involved. but either of those dallas players are more valuable than yonkman, who would easily be had, despite washington's weakness, for draft picks

Old
01-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Peter Griffin

So Dallas trades Miettinen and Ott, and receives Antropov, Berg, and Yonkman. Washington trades Gonchar and Yonkman, and gets Miettinen and Ott. Why would they do this?

Old
01-20-2004, 10:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

This makes no sense for the Caps

We get two left wings for arguably our most promising (although injury prone) defenseman, and our best NHL defenseman??

I just dont see this happening. Caps get the worst of this deal big time.

Old
01-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Benji Frank

The Washington part didn't make much sense to me either. meittenin is highly touted and all, but to move Gonchar for him and a energizer 3rd/4th liner doesn't seem to add up. I've heard good things about yonkman, but like antropov, he seems to have a bit of an injury cloud following him......

I don't normally post rumours, but figured it couldn't hurt to post this and maybe someone who was listening to the broadcast or is close to Toronto could expand on what was actually discussed.....

We'll see what happens I guess!

Old
01-20-2004, 11:04 PM
RE-HABS

A rumor with that much detail involving 3 teams is simply a load of BS. This the same radio station which Bill Watters said O'neill would be dealt in 48 hours, well less than 24 to go on that one and I think the latest is the worse yet.

How does every rumor involving Toronto get them the best player without having to give up too much in return? Toronto media is aweful, and it starts with Strachan and keeps going.

Old
01-20-2004, 11:19 PM
MoS*

i don't see why washington would want to trade gonchar, who is a ray of hope in that excuse of a roster they call of a defense. they have a few forward prospects with bright potential so i think lang (leading scorer) and jagr (heating up) would be gone before washington even ponders about any deal involving gonchar. if gonchar were to be moved, toronto or dallas or whatever team whatever day of week it is, would have to knock their socks off and a defenseman would indefinitely be something washington would have to receive in such a transaction

Old
01-20-2004, 11:21 PM
officeglen

Quote:
We'll let you know if it comes to pass
Who is the we? If it comes to pass wouldn't TSN etc. cover it just a bit? Wouldn't the trade talk crash this board?

Did anybody else hear this on the radio? Did the thread poster actually hear this on the radio, or is this from one of those sites that don't mind bogus trade talk?

Old
01-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
Did anybody else hear this on the radio?
That's what I'm wondering. Radio rumors have to be backed up by another poster to be considered legit.

Old
01-20-2004, 11:49 PM
MoS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
That's what I'm wondering. Radio rumors have to be backed up by another poster to be considered legit.
i don't know man.... to me, benji frank has more legitimacy and credibility than these toronto radio stations. today its MOJO 640, yesterday it was bill watters, tommorrow it might be................. you get my drift

Old
01-21-2004, 12:07 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
This rumour is bull**** in my opinion. I bet you the dudes at mojo got it from wowhockey.com where it probably originated.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:08 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
I suppose there is a chance that the Caps would toss the season, which trading Gonchar this early would certainly do. If each of Toronto and Dallas was sending a high pick, even firsts, to Washington as well as Ott and Miettenen, then the value would definitely be there. The team is high on Yonkman, if concerned about his injury, and Gonchar's worth is well documented. That's good value they would be giving up, from their weakest position.

It just makes very little sense for the Caps to be trading away their top defenseman on the roster and one of their top three blueline prospects when they are so thin there right now, unless it is a conscious drive to try and outsuck Pittsburgh in order to draft Ovechkin. A top six of Witt, Kwiatkowski, Eminger, Doig, Gruden, and Berry would lose a lot of games, but the team probably does need to start leaning on youth, and draft a franchise player this summer.

Shrug. In all likelihood this is a radio broadcaster's fanciful imaginings, but I suppose it could happen. Hard to fathom from the Caps, though.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:16 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Yes, I heard it. But I don't believe it, like I said.

For the record, here's the deal as outlined on "wowhockey.com"

Quote:
To Dallas: Nolan Yonkman, Aki Berg and option for Toronto to swap 1st round draft picks for 2004.

To Washington: Teppo Numminen(who is a UFA at seasons end), Steve Ott, Nik Antropov, and Trevor Daley.

To Toronto: Sergei Gonchar, an option to switch 1st round draft picks with the Dallas Stars and future considerations from the Washington Capitals(depending on a games played option with Nik Antropov).

Also reported, is that if the deal falls through, the Leafs John Ferguson is said to have a 1,2,3 list of defensemen which the Leafs would like to acquire before the deadline.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:35 AM
leafaholix*

Complete manure.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:52 AM
Sotnos

I agree, it does sound like a bogus rumor. I'll go ahead and close it, one of the trade mods can re-open it in the morning if they want.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:58 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
I agree, it does sound like a bogus rumor. I'll go ahead and close it, one of the trade mods can re-open it in the morning if they want.
i believe think.blue has coraborated the rumors sotnos...so i'll open this thread again.

01-21-2004, 01:23 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
So Dallas trades Miettinen and Ott, and receives Antropov, Berg, and Yonkman. Washington trades Gonchar and Yonkman, and gets Miettinen and Ott. Why would they do this?
Stars are getting hosted, we do no need Yonkman, we have Erskine as a simular player while Nickerson and Jancevski can provide the same contributions in the near future. Yet we give up our 2 best prospects for an injury prone, top 9, potential top 6 center, who would compete with Niko Kapanen for icetime..

Horrible, not sure who made this up, but somehow I think its a Leafs fan..

Old
01-21-2004, 01:29 AM
leafaholix*

Top 9, top 6 centre...

?

Old
01-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Top 9, top 6 centre...

?
Oh yeah, he hasn't proven to be a consistant top 6 center yet, one solid season doesn't cut it. His potential is that of a top 6 center though, but IMO, he isn't there yet..

Old
01-21-2004, 01:42 AM
leafaholix*

There are 4 centre's on a team.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
There are 4 centre's on a team.
Top 6/9, as in a top 6/9 forward..

Old
01-21-2004, 01:52 AM
leafaholix*

Ok.

IMO, he's a top 6 forward right now. The guy has no major flaws in his game aside from his skating. Makes passes Mats Sundin could never make.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:56 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Ok.

IMO, he's a top 6 forward right now. The guy has no major flaws in his game aside from his skating. Makes passes Mats Sundin could never make.
He could be, but the fact remains that he is too unproven to be labelled a legit or bonafide top 6 forward. I think he has to finish this season in an impressive way to become one.. He has all the tools, I just don't think one season of 45 points makes you a top 2 center/top 6 forward..

Closed Thread