HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Prospect Updates

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 01:13 PM
Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Prospect Updates

Vermette has 0 points in 3 GP and is a -3. Think he's upset about getting sent down and is in a mini-slump? Not that I'm worried about 3 measly games but after playing in the NHL, the AHL should seem much much easier.

Laich has only 11 points in 22 games. I stick to my original prediction of him eventually becoming our 4th line centre of the future. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if our 4th line ends up being Vermette-Laich-Neil.

Kaigorodov picked up his 3 assist of the season. I really hope he comes to NA soon so I can have some meaningful statistics.

Mirnov now whas 7 goals and 9 points in 27 games and is 5th in goals in the top league in Russia. He's easily outdoing Zherdev and Kastsitsyn. I loved the pick when they made it and I'm loving it more and more. He looks like a potential goal scoring LW that we've always wanted. He leads his draft class in scoring.

Karlsson still hasn't registered a point in the SEL. As an aside, Steen seems to have cooled off and only has 18 points in 25 games.

Bochenski is still tops in the NCAA in PPG with a line of 11-10-10-20. Pretty damn impressive IMO.

If Iced checks in and gives us a bingo update, it would make me very happy.

Old
12-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Volchenkov

A couple of more statistical tidbits:

-Johan Bjork scored his first SEL goal of his career.
-Tim Cook has 1 assist in 10 games for Michigan.
-Vitaliy Atyushov is 5th in defense scoring in the RSL.
-Sergei Gimayev is also in the RSL. Hasn't done much but at least he's playing in a quality league.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Patrick Eaves update:

Here's the lastest....

Eaves has been out of the BC lineup for several games due to a sprained knee. The good news is he could be skating again as early as today and could possibly be in the lineup for the tilt versus rival BU on Friday. Any new developments, I'll let you all know as soon as I know.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Here's the lastest....

Eaves has been out of the BC lineup for several games due to a sprained knee. The good news is he could be skating again as early as today and could possibly be in the lineup for the tilt versus rival BU on Friday. Any new developments, I'll let you all know as soon as I know.
Thanks. I guess the advantage of him being in the NCAA is that he has a very light schedule, thus injuries should be less of a problem in terms of development. On the flip side - if he's getting injured often in college hockey it doesn't bode well for professional hockey.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:31 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Vermette has 0 points in 3 GP and is a -3. Think he's upset about getting sent down and is in a mini-slump? Not that I'm worried about 3 measly games but after playing in the NHL, the AHL should seem much much easier.
Not So.
We get game by game updates on another forum from several Bingo posters and they have raved about his play, naming him one of the games best players in all 3. The stats here do not tell the story.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
DJ Spinoza

Thought I'd let you guys know that Patrick Eaves has two goals for BC tonight. The game's in the third.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Thought I'd let you guys know that Patrick Eaves has two goals for BC tonight. The game's in the third.
Great to know he's back to full health. Thanks for the update - its really appreciated.

Old
12-05-2003, 08:30 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing

...and what a night Patrick would have too! He was terrific tonight.

If you want to read all about how Patrick and the BC Eagles did tonight, please check out my Game Notes (12/5): Boston University vs. Boston College thread over on the NCAA board.

Old
12-05-2003, 10:23 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
That BU v BC game is going to be shown on the NHL Network at 1pm on Saturday.

Old
12-07-2003, 05:30 AM
StevieYdabest

Brian Elliott looks pretty good for a 9th round pick. Unfortunately he's not the starting goalie but in his 2 games he's 2-0 with a 0.99 GAA and a .960 SV%.

Old
12-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieYdabest
Brian Elliott looks pretty good for a 9th round pick. Unfortunately he's not the starting goalie but in his 2 games he's 2-0 with a 0.99 GAA and a .960 SV%.
Did you see the game? I caught the webcast of the game and from what I heard, he was very sharp much of the night. Granted, the game was only an exhibition game, but at least Elliott is getting in some playing time and according to the Badgers announcers, Elliott seems to be gaining more confidence and his adjustment to the college hockey is coming along quite well. He's still learning and will get more starts as the season progresses, but he's definitely looking like a bonafide Badgers starter in the future.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:35 AM
StevieYdabest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Did you see the game? I caught the webcast of the game and from what I heard, he was very sharp much of the night. Granted, the game was only an exhibition game, but at least Elliott is getting in some playing time and according to the Badgers announcers, Elliott seems to be gaining more confidence and his adjustment to the college hockey is coming along quite well. He's still learning and will get more starts as the season progresses, but he's definitely looking like a bonafide Badgers starter in the future.
I didn't actually. Where would i go to find the webcasts? I hope he does get more starts because at least stat wise it looks like he deserves some more ice time.

Old
12-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieYdabest
I didn't actually. Where would i go to find the webcasts? I hope he does get more starts because at least stat wise it looks like he deserves some more ice time.
Here you go:

http://www.uwbadgers.com/game_day/mh...formation.aspx

Old
12-13-2003, 07:09 AM
Iced

I just hope that once Ottawa gets their ship righted (which it appears that they have pretty much done so); they look to help us in Binghamton. Our young prospects are not getting the job done. They're not nearly as talented as the group that we had last season in Pothier, Spezza and Vermette. This season's class of Senators prospects in Binghamton can be given a resounding "F". Since we'll have to wait until next season to get a new class of rookies...to at least try to salvage our season, I hope that Ottawa is able to go out and get us a couple of veteran centermen and at least 2-3 defensemen.

As for Emery....last season, many thought he would be good, but I don't believe anyone thought he'd be THAT good...and he was. This season, he's proven that he's NOT ready for the NHL. His focus is just not there; he's letting in more soft goals so far this season that he did in the entire '02-03 season. Grant you, without ANY defense, he's getting twice the work and responsibility and he can't be expected to stop everything.

This season's group of Senators prospects (at least those in Binghamton) are a failure and the team should dump them and move on.

Last edited by Iced: 12-13-2003 at 07:39 AM.
Old
12-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced
I just hope that once Ottawa gets their ship righted (which it appears that they have pretty much done so); they look to help us in Binghamton. Our young prospects are not getting the job done. They're not nearly as talented as the group that we had last season in Pothier, Spezza and Vermette. This season's class of Senators prospects in Binghamton can be given a resounding "F". Since we'll have to wait until next season to get a new class of rookies...to at least try to salvage our season, I hope that Ottawa is able to go out and get us a couple of veteran centermen and at least 2-3 defensemen.

As for Emery....last season, many thought he would be good, but I don't believe anyone thought he'd be THAT good...and he was. This season, he's proven that he's NOT ready for the NHL. His focus is just not there; he's letting in more soft goals so far this season that he did in the entire '02-03 season. Grant you, without ANY defense, he's getting twice the work and responsibility and he can't be expected to stop everything.

This season's group of Senators prospects (at least those in Binghamton) are a failure and the team should dump them and move on.
The thing is, this year, the prospects weren't expected to carry the team. The guys who were supposed to lead this team were Langfeld, Hamel, Corso, Payer, Bancroft and Smrek, and aside from the first two guys, those players simply aren't doing enough right now.

Guys like Laich, Platil, Thompson (really the only first year bingo sens) weren't expected to be the go to guys.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

The Brian Elliott update:

Ok, here's the scoop on Elliot.

I saw him play in the Badger Showdown Finals vs. Ferris State during the NCAA tournament weekend (Dec. 27-29). He started both games for Wisconsin in the Showdown because starting netminder (and Flyers prospect) Bernd Bruckler was suspended for "unspecified team rules violations" by acting head coach Troy Ward (Head coach Mike Eaves, along with Badgers Ryan Suter, Jake Dowell and Jeff Likens were all at the WJC).

FSU ended up beating Wisconsin in the championship game....but not before things got ugly resulting in 6 players being ejected from the game.

Elliott got the win vs. Union College on the first night, but got sacked with the loss in the finals. He actually played quite well. In fact, he's been one of the pleasant surprises in the NCAA IMO this season. He's really adjusted to the pace of the college game well, and his attitude/work ethic has been nothing short of great. He's already begun to show some good work with the glove and his positioning when facing shooters has really improved. He's moving well, but he needs to come out and challenge shooters more often. He doesn't do that enough and it will be a problem for him down the road if it doesn't improve. He's getting better with the rebounds, but still another area where there's room for improvement.

Elliott is still very much a work in progress. However, I love what the Badgers coaching staff have done with him so far, and he's responding to the challenges quite well. Elliott will continue to get some work and should continue to get better in the process, but don't expect to see him in Ottawa or Binghamton anytime soon.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:19 PM
sensens

Quote:
Our young prospects are not getting the job done. They're not nearly as talented as the group that we had last season in Pothier, Spezza and Vermette.

No offense, but I'm very glad you're not making the calls on this matter.

As was cited earlier, "this season's group of Senators prospects" amounts to Brooks Laich, Greg Watson, Jan Platil & Billy Thompson. Of course they don't compare to Spezza, Vermette, Pothier & Emery - Spezza was an absolute world-class franchise-type prospect, Pothier was refered to last year as arguably the best defenceman not playing in the NHL (as a 25/26yo hand-picked prospect that they traded Shawn McEachern for I might add), Vermette was an outstanding blue chip prospect who'd just finished leading his team to a Memorial Cup appearance, and Emery had just named the OHL's top goaltender, and was considered one of the best goaltending prospects in all of hockey.

Do you realize how incredibly rare it is to have that much talent brought in? Teams rarely generate players like that with any regularity - and if they do they often don't spend a lot of time in the AHL. In fact, Binghamton was lucky to get any of them at all - Ottawa frequently makes room for its young players (none of Alfredsson, Bonk, Redden, Phillips, Hossa, Fisher, Havlat or Volchenkov played a single game in the AHL). Rachunek, Prusek and Neil are the only drafted players on the roster who've spent any time at all in their minor league system (other than Spezza & Vermette of course), and those three spent only a combined 4 years in the minors, while the Sens took heat for keeping Spezza there at all last year.

So what about this year's crop? Laich, who made the Canadian WJC team last season, currently has 12pts in 25GP, and is being groomed for a 3rd line checking position. Platil is a nasty, hard-hitting d-man with some hidden offensive skills (he was almost a ppg in the OHL last year), and is being groomed for a 5/6 spot. Thompson may not be Ray Emery*, but he's a rookie back-up goaltender in the AHL, and is likely going to be a career depth goaltender. Now Watson IS a bit of a loss (most people could see that coming from his decline in production at the junior level), but he's a team asset, and the team is going to give him a chance to demonstrate what he can do.

*(though your criticism of Emery was somewhat puzzling, in that Emery actually has a better GAA and S% this season, and he had yet another very successful NHL start... if you think his value has in any way, shape or form dropped within the organization I think you'll find you're very much mistaken)

It's clear that these aren't star players - everyone pretty much knew that a long time ago - every prospect can't be a star player. As for the comment about needing another veteran or two, well Muckler might do something about that (especially now that Corso has been dealt) - but I wouldn't necessarily expect anything to happen that will cost one of the prospects under contract a chance to have a full year of experience. Some players need some development, and that's far more important to the Sens management than whether Binghamton happens to win or lose.

Last edited by sensens: 01-06-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old
01-06-2004, 08:31 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
The guys who were supposed to lead this team were Langfeld, Hamel, Corso, Payer, Bancroft and Smrek, and aside from the first two guys, those players simply aren't doing enough right now
I have to defend Serge Payer. He's having a career year by his standards, and is among the team leaders in goals and points. For a player destined at best for 4th line NHL checking duty who never even had a ppg year in the OHL (in 5 years of play there), that's pretty good.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
I have to defend Serge Payer. He's having a career year by his standards, and is among the team leaders in goals and points. For a player destined at best for 4th line NHL checking duty who never even had a ppg year in the OHL (in 5 years of play there), that's pretty good.

agreed, I am actually somewhat surprised he wasnt called up when the Sens had some injuries and were struggling on the PK. He isnt a scorer, hes a smart player though that gets the job done

Old
01-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Some bad news on Patrick Eaves

He left tonight's game vs. BU late in the first period after blocking a shot that hit his upper chest area. He had to be taken to the hospital for Xrays and other tests to determine the extent of the injury. According to BC head coach Jerry York, Eaves suffered a "chest laceration and possibly some broken bones". I'll keep you all posted on Eaves' condition and how long he could be out for. Meanwhile, if you want to know how he did and what happened to him further, please check out my Game Notes (1/17): Boston College vs. Boston University over on the NCAA boards.

Old
01-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Iced

It's interesting to see that some have commented on my post regarding some of the Sens prospects playing in Binghamton and that much of what I said was disagreed with. Well, let's put this into perspective.....I made my post on 12/13/03 and alot has changed with the team since then.

Bonvie is gone, not that he was a prospect, but he was someone that could have been a call up to Ottawa. Emery has started to play the way he did last season. Hamel has begun to play the way he did the first few weeks of the season. Brooks Laich is playing much better. He's showing confidence and rather than standing there watching, he's started to become part of the action. Julien Vauclair has taken that next step....he's really improved. I have no doubt in my mind that next season, Ottawa will move some of the vet D men to make room for him; he's ready. Watson has actually shown some sign of life recently. I still won't call him a prospect, but he has finally started to take responsibility on the ice. I never considered Serge Payer a prospect...more of a AHL vet. But he has been playing very well. Is he someone that could get the call to Ottawa? Perhaps, but there would have to be a rash of injuries and other unexpected events for that to happen. Finally Josh Langfeld has been everything that we expected him to be...a hard worker, finisher and all around "work his butt off" type of guy. I can't begin to tell you how happy we are in Binghamton that he's done well on his recent call up to Ottawa. Personally, I hope that he finds a nitch and can stick. He's that good of a guy and deserves everything he's getting. He works hard and is a great asset to the club.

Old
01-19-2004, 12:16 PM
sensens

Quote:
It's interesting to see that some have commented on my post regarding some of the Sens prospects playing in Binghamton and that much of what I said was disagreed with. Well, let's put this into perspective.....I made my post on 12/13/03 and alot has changed with the team since then.
Fair enough - it's good to hear that some of the B-Sens are starting to come around, but that's why you have to give guys who are only 20-21 a chance to get adjusted to the professional game and demonstrate what they can do. A half a year of AHL play on a team with very little in terms of supporting talent just isn't enough to go on when declaring that this year's group of prospects are a failure, and should be dumped.

As for Langfeld, he's an intriguing player. He didn't win himself any friends with those sort of whiny comments, but he's started to let his game do the talking and I think he's the sort of player that this team shouldn't give up on. If he could make the transition to the LW, then I think there would be a job for him in Ottawa very soon.

As a side note, I think Serge Payer will take over the 4th line centre job in Ottawa next season.

Old
01-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Fair enough - it's good to hear that some of the B-Sens are starting to come around, but that's why you have to give guys who are only 20-21 a chance to get adjusted to the professional game and demonstrate what they can do. A half a year of AHL play on a team with very little in terms of supporting talent just isn't enough to go on when declaring that this year's group of prospects are a failure, and should be dumped.

As for Langfeld, he's an intriguing player. He didn't win himself any friends with those sort of whiny comments, but he's started to let his game do the talking and I think he's the sort of player that this team shouldn't give up on. If he could make the transition to the LW, then I think there would be a job for him in Ottawa very soon.

As a side note, I think Serge Payer will take over the 4th line centre job in Ottawa next season.
While I agree Payer could make the squad, I think Brad Tapper could defenitely make the team. I've always liked the guy a lot.

Old
01-19-2004, 04:30 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
While I agree Payer could make the squad, I think Brad Tapper could defenitely make the team. I've always liked the guy a lot.
I agree - Tapper is a very interesting pick-up for this team, and obviously I think everyone hopes that the change of scenery helps him get through what has clearly been a devastating year for him.

I really like Muckler's acquisitions of players like Hamel, Payer and Tapper - very solid depth with NHL experience, with possible 3rd/4th line upside down the road. I mentioned Payer by name simply because I think Van Allen is starting to come undone. He's been a tremendous player for us, but it's soon going to be time to think about replacing him, and Payer looks very good as a possible replacement - tenacious forechecking, lots of hustle, and PK ability.

Old
01-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
I really like Muckler's acquisitions of players like Hamel, Payer and Tapper - very solid depth with NHL experience, with possible 3rd/4th line upside down the road. I mentioned Payer by name simply because I think Van Allen is starting to come undone. He's been a tremendous player for us, but it's soon going to be time to think about replacing him, and Payer looks very good as a possible replacement - tenacious forechecking, lots of hustle, and PK ability.
Especially stealing Payer for a ninth. That was huge. Its good to have guys like him in our system that have overcome alot in their life. Shows a lot of heart and determination. Just what i like in 3/4 liners

Closed Thread