HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report #23-Marty Turco on parade

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 11:45 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #23-Marty Turco on parade

One of the most overrated goalies in the league paraded into town tonight, and was sent packing with what he deserved. Marty Turco is certainly not the goalie many have made him out to be, he never has been, and this year it's showing. Nice 'save' on Raffi's top-corner pass.......errrrr.......wrister, from the wing there superstar! One note to fans however, the TURRRRRRCCCOOOOOOOO thing is okay in the playoffs, but in the regular season, it's pretty lame.

After games like this I'm really conflicted, do I allow myself to get slightly excited about this hockey team's prospects again? Or do I just sit and wait for the stinker against the likes of Columbus, Nashville, or Washington? I really don't know.

The Dallas Stars were due for a fall this year. Most people still had them at the top of the West, which was quite the folly. Hatcher-gone, Sydor-traded for Numminen, all their geezers-that much older. This is not the same team as before, and some people saw that coming into the year......

Very solid game from nearly everyone tonight. One of my old pals really stunk the joint out though, and one of em bailed himself out for a change and earned a rare, albeit grudgingly, positive grade.

Coaching Report:

Fairly solid scheming tonight, although we're still struggling a bit with PP lines. Simpson being on the bench seems to make a difference. Chimera and Stoll were both put in good spots for them to flourish, which was nice to see. On the negative side, I don't think Cory Cross had any business dressing for tonight's game, he just didn't look comfortable. But who knows, without him in, important things may not have happened.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Player Reports:

Rear-ended

-Shawn Horcoff
WELCOME BACK ANCHOR! Both your linemates played fairly well tonight, despite some indecisiveness by Ethan, but you continued your tradition of earning the ire of this here fan. At the NHL level, you're not supposed to miss passes, direct tips into corners, or fan on every shooting chance you get, and from prime scoring territory. HURRY BACK MARTY!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------
Middle of the Road

-Cory Cross
Probably shouldn't have dressed, not comfortable with that shield it looked like either. Admire him for gutting it out and playing, but just don't think he was too with it tonight. That eye looked really bad when they showed him on the big screen.

-Scott Ferguson Part A
Didn't play all that well, was getting caught out of position and overskating pucks again. Just not fast enough.

-Alex Semenov
Alex looked a little iffy tonight, not the same guy we've seen in the past few games, but nothing to really worry about. Just not quite as crisp out there as we've grown used to seeing, got a lil lost on coverage a couple times.

---------------------------------
Ahead of the curve

-Steve Staios
Stevey! Welcome back. Solid reliable game, did his job well.

-Eric Brewer
Bout time he started showing up consistantly. Still hitting, still rushing the puck, nothing wrong with his game right now really.

-Igor Ulanov
Solid minutes, less rubber on the net, good puck mover, shoulda scored tonight as well.

-Scott Ferguson Part B
After he scored, Ferguson actually played like a decent NHL defenceman, it was rather shocking.

-Georges Laraque
Didn't do anything spectacular, but was a force all night, which really helped out his linemates, who were both outstanding.

-Adam Oates
Good game, still not really sure why he isn't taking D-zone faceoffs, or why he is getting setup for shots instead of doing the setting, but oh well, he provided balance tonight.

-Ryan Smyth
Still not himself, but played fairly well. Working alot harder on the puck.

-Jason Chimera
THIS is the way Jason Chimera can play given the right opportunity and motivation. Banging players all night, using his speed to generate chances, very nice game. Really should've potted one.

-Chad Isbister
Although he has once again earned himself that moniker from me, he played a rather forceful game tonight. Still can't hit a net to save his life, gotta fix that Chad, but at least be a force out there.

-Radek Dvorak
Was sort of a decoy tonight, but that's alright. Brought a very solid effort once again, and was fairly good away from the puck. Needed to be given a few more passes tonight.

-Ales Hemsky
Very close to a couple really nice goals. Creating plenty of chances, too bad Marty isn't there to bury them. Like the way him and Moreau work together, and once again was excellent defensively. Almost always the first forward back.

-Ethan Moreau
Workhorse, pushing the play. One negative was his pass to Horcoff on a 3-on-2 with a clear shooting lane and Marty Turco cheating pass.

-Tommy Salo
That's 3. Tommy did his job again tonight, taking advantage of an excellent D effort by his team. Little shaky on a couple shots, but otherwise actually solid positionally and anticipation-wise.

----------------------------------

Flying out front

-Jarret Stoll
Continues his exceedingly strong play. Made his line go tonight. Sees the play very well, makes solid decisions, has an offensive element to his game while being absolutely exceptional positionally. Our future captain/2nd line center.

-Raffi Torres
Uh huh. Rushing down the wing for both goals, going to the net like he meant it and simply burying the biscuit. I was a little worried when he missed 3 excellent chances in a row early, but thankfully, he made up for it. Excellent in the role he was given tonight, hope he sees that role more often.

-Mike York
We'd be outta the playoffs without him by now.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, well, at least for 2 days, I'm sure optimism will abound around these parts. Keep it mild people.

NOTE: All 3 goals tonight scored off the rush using speed. IT'S HOW WE SCORE! Every game essentially where we use our speed and push the puck, WE WIN. Said it at the beginning of the year and it is amazingly true. Teams cannot stop us when we do it because you can't trap skating. The trap only works against us when we use slow methodical passing gameplans and play defensively. LEARN MACTAVISH!

Igor Ulanov makes an invisible difference on this team. Inivisible anywhere but his shins that is. A bag of ice for the shot-blockin Russian!

NHL players in full face shields look so wrong.

What was with the glass tonight? Kept having problems.

Not as many people in their seats as usual for a Dallas game, rather surprising.

A slightly optimistic, yet still very guarded LMHF#1 is OUT!...........

Old
01-21-2004, 12:07 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

found a very funny stat last night..when we outshoot the opposition...we win less that 30% of the time...it is from nhl.com and we outshot tonight and won..kinda weird and just thought i should bring it up...the boys played very well, i like the torres-stoll-laraque line too!! congrats tommy on getting your first goose egg against the stars...finally..

Old
01-21-2004, 12:37 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Slow night, really proves my point about having to be downright inflammatory to get responses to a game report

Williams traded for Markov: Proof positive Kevin wasn't selling MC that well around the league.

Don't Shoot/Shut Up people: Ahhhh! some fans are finally coming around!

Outright shock: The reaction of nearly everyone in the crowd when Scott Ferguson actually hit twine.

Shoot it! In the Dallas net! Behind Turco!: My slightly mistaken comment, as #2 calmly pointed out, "what if they pull him?"

Celebrity Guest of the evening: Ferguson's cousin once again!

Oiler parking lot encounter: Marty Reasoner pulling in in his SUV talking to the parking attendant. Looked depressed, hope you're back soon Marty!

Featured food of the evening: Tex Mex Crispers. Cooked potato chips covered in seasoning. The most overpriced hockey food item ever at almost $5.

Moment(s) of the night: Being asked 3 times on the way home whose stick I was carrying (it was my Synergy).

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 01-21-2004 at 12:42 AM.
Old
01-21-2004, 12:44 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Williams traded for Markov: Proof positive Kevin wasn't selling MC that well around the league.
It doesn't prove anything. Players who aren't playing don't have high value, especially when they pick and choose the teams they want to go to.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:48 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
It doesn't prove anything. Players who aren't playing don't have high value, especially when they pick and choose the teams they want to go to.
Unless you're an excellent seller! Of course if KL was an excellent seller, the situation never woulda dragged on that long and blah blah blah.

Knew my additional post would work at least a lil :p

Old
01-21-2004, 12:52 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Clarke didn't have to move a Williams. There was no real pressure on him. Williams was playing fine and was happy in Philly. Such a huge difference in situations, I can't believe somebody who think as highly of himself as you do would compare them. Also, I'm a big fan of Markov, I like the way he plays, but he's SERIOUSLY overpaid at 2.7million. He's not a big steal.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:53 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Unless you're an excellent seller! Of course if KL was an excellent seller, the situation never woulda dragged on that long and blah blah blah.

Knew my additional post would work at least a lil :p
This ain't big Kev's used car lot. Selling has little to do with it. GMs are intelligent and pragmantic. Their view of a player isn't going to be changed by a good or bad sell. They are going to evaluate the player on their own and ignore any BS. I knew you were hankering for some arguing (where's scopalojerk?), and I felt happy to oblige .

Old
01-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Walsher

Quote:
I agree. That deal was made strictly out of desperation with the loss of Seidenberg and Desjardins. The Cormie addition was a want not a need. The Flyers were in the bad position in the Williams deal like the Oilers were in with the Comrie deal. IMO that didn't say much about Lowe's actions earlier.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:55 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Clarke didn't have to move a Williams. There was no real pressure on him. Williams was playing fine and was happy in Philly. Such a huge difference in situations, I can't believe somebody who think as highly of himself as you do would compare them. Also, I'm a big fan of Markov, I like the way he plays, but he's SERIOUSLY overpaid at 2.7million. He's not a big steal.
Oh not comparing, just saying we could've/should've gotten more out of Clarke if that's all it took to get Williams. I woulda been goin for Gagne myself, as they seem to have been down on him..........unitl he started playin with MC that is.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:57 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
This ain't big Kev's used car lot. Selling has little to do with it. GMs are intelligent and pragmantic. Their view of a player isn't going to be changed by a good or bad sell. They are going to evaluate the player on their own and ignore any BS. I knew you were hankering for some arguing (where's scopalojerk?), and I felt happy to oblige .
I think you see alot of selling on the GM front in the NHL, it's just alot harder to notice and detect.

And thank you for obliging, I get all flustered when no one berates my posts, means I'm doin something wrong probably!

Old
01-21-2004, 01:03 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

lol, you may have went after Gange, but I can promise you, you would have failed. As mentioned before, GM approach can only work one way - to the negative. Kevin hasn't done that.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:06 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
lol, you may have went after Gange, but I can promise you, you would have failed. As mentioned before, GM approach can only work one way - to the negative. Kevin hasn't done that.
I think it coulda been done. Gagne in a deal for Comrie.

Need some clarification on your last statement Thome, not sure what you mean.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:07 AM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Scott Ferguson had absolutely no business poaching in for the goal he scored. Its a scoreless game being played tight to the vest and he got the bounce of all bounces which will encourage him to do it some more and perhaps cost you a playoff spot. Horcoff got 19 minutes tonite but that had much more to do with York's absence. Much needed two points for the oil , Dallas did not feel like fighting thru their checks and made it fairly easy.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:12 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

ya, guess I didn't make much sense there. What I ment was that GMs can only effect their players trade value and sell players worse then what they should be. DW isn't a genius for trading Zanuilin(sp?) for Savard. Button is an idiot. Dealing with a decent GM who is understands the game and isn't a push over (Clarke - even though I hate his guts) like Button, then all you can do is get what he has determined is his price. Lowe isn't an idiot like Button, and undoubtably got the best return he could have got for a small, complaining, hold out.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:16 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
ya, guess I didn't make much sense there. What I ment was that GMs can only effect their players trade value and sell players worse then what they should be. DW isn't a genius for trading Zanuilin(sp?) for Savard. Button is an idiot. Dealing with a decent GM who is understands the game and isn't a push over (Clarke - even though I hate his guts) like Button, then all you can do is get what he has determined is his price. Lowe isn't an idiot like Button, and undoubtably got the best return he could have got for a small, complaining, hold out.
Well we could get into a long philosophical argument about that, but I think it's fairly clear I would disagree with you, and we'd be here for several hours bogged down in symantics, so we'll just say one of us is right, and move on (each person gets to decide who that is).

Old
01-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
Scott Ferguson had absolutely no business poaching in for the goal he scored. Its a scoreless game being played tight to the vest and he got the bounce of all bounces which will encourage him to do it some more and perhaps cost you a playoff spot.
I'm going to go out on a massive limb and make the claim that Scott Ferguson scoring his goal on a pinch is not going to cost the Oilers a playoff spot..

Old
01-21-2004, 01:21 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well we could get into a long philosophical argument about that, but I think it's fairly clear I would disagree with you, and we'd be here for several hours bogged down in symantics, so we'll just say one of us is right, and move on (each person gets to decide who that is).
I'm just not sure what you don't agree on:
a) you think Gange could/should have been had for Comrie
or
b) decent GMs won't be sold to give up more then they think they should.

I hope it's A - otherwise I'd seriously wonder.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:35 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
I'm just not sure what you don't agree on:
a) you think Gange could/should have been had for Comrie
or
b) decent GMs won't be sold to give up more then they think they should.

I hope it's A - otherwise I'd seriously wonder.
Decent GMs will not be sold to give up more than what they think they should, but what they think they should give up can be changed. It's not like these guys sit there with player values carved in stone. It's all scouting, advice, rumors, hunches, gambles, opinions, etc. This is not an exact science.

And I seriously believe, if the situation had been handled right, foregoing Comrie still being here, but handling the trade predicament correctly (with regards to things like training camp, press, etc.) Lowe could've gotten a guy like Simon Gagne in w/e Comrie deal he decided to make. Not saying he wouldn't add a little, but am saying it could've/should've been done.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Decent GMs will not be sold to give up more than what they think they should, but what they think they should give up can be changed. It's not like these guys sit there with player values carved in stone. It's all scouting, advice, rumors, hunches, gambles, opinions, etc. This is not an exact science.

And I seriously believe, if the situation had been handled right, foregoing Comrie still being here, but handling the trade predicament correctly (with regards to things like training camp, press, etc.) Lowe could've gotten a guy like Simon Gagne in w/e Comrie deal he decided to make. Not saying he wouldn't add a little, but am saying it could've/should've been done.
'Mouth, you may seriously believe this and wish it so doesn't make it so. This is pure speculation that Gagne might have been attainable. Other recent trade results for smallish centres include prospects (for Marc Savard), Chris Gratton (for Daniel Briere). Tough market compounded by some questions about character, a hardball agent, and impudent mandate to dicate where and to whom he is traded.

I have no doubt you could have brokered a better deal. After all, I've voted you in the past to become the future face and 'Mouth of the Oilers.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:46 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
'Mouth, you may seriously believe this and wish it so doesn't make it so. This is pure speculation that Gagne might have been attainable. Other recent trade results for smallish centres include prospects (for Marc Savard), Chris Gratton (for Daniel Briere). Tough market compounded by some questions about character, a hardball agent, and impudent mandate to dicate where and to whom he is traded.

I have no doubt you could have brokered a better deal. After all, I've voted you in the past to become the future face and 'Mouth of the Oilers.
Absolutely agree, astonishing isn't it?

Slight clarification: A guy like Gagne, not 100% necessarily him.

I think a rant may be coming from Boondock, I'm intrigued....

Old
01-21-2004, 01:53 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Oh not comparing, just saying we could've/should've gotten more out of Clarke if that's all it took to get Williams. I woulda been goin for Gagne myself, as they seem to have been down on him..........unitl he started playin with MC that is.
Oh really??? We could've gotten more for Comrie??? So, how would you have expected KLo to get more out of Clarke after his offer of Woywitka, a 1st and a 3rd?? Some threats of physical violence?? Poke fun at the size of his genitalia??

The fact of the matter is that Comrie was a holdout, and KLo was forced to deal from a position of weakness. And no amount of smooth talking or shopping around could have changed that.

And secondly, I think that you are seriously underrating Markov. He is a very good two-way defenseman who's just coming into the prime of his career; he's gritty, skilled and solid defensively.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Absolutely agree, astonishing isn't it?

Slight clarification: A guy like Gagne, not 100% necessarily him.

I think a rant may be coming from Boondock, I'm intrigued....
Hahahaha, that's funny 'cause I originally had a REALLY long rant typed up, but erased it because I think it might have been more harsh than the situation called for.......

Old
01-21-2004, 01:56 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Hahahaha, that's funny 'cause I originally had a REALLY long rant typed up, but erased it because I think it might have been more harsh than the situation called for.......
Yeah, you had my hopes up there!

All this is just MO, so ya know it isn't gonna change, and someone needs to say it. Might as well be the future GM of the team right?

And if I ever use the poking fun at the size of someone's junk tactic, I'll credit you!

Old
01-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Hydroponic Harold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
Scott Ferguson had absolutely no business poaching in for the goal he scored. Its a scoreless game being played tight to the vest and he got the bounce of all bounces which will encourage him to do it some more and perhaps cost you a playoff spot. Horcoff got 19 minutes tonite but that had much more to do with York's absence. Much needed two points for the oil , Dallas did not feel like fighting thru their checks and made it fairly easy.
This board seems to pick on Ferguson more than anyone else on the Oil .I cant figure out why ..i think he does a good job at what he is a 6th or 7th D-man ...i for one was glad to see him score .I hardly would lay the Oilers position in the standings on Fergie , and i think he has been consistent for what he is . If Scott Ferguson decides the Oils playoff fate ..then this team is in SERIOUS trouble .

Old
01-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
This board seems to pick on Ferguson more than anyone else on the Oil .I cant figure out why ..i think he does a good job at what he is a 6th or 7th D-man ...i for one was glad to see him score .I hardly would lay the Oilers position in the standings on Fergie , and i think he has been consistent for what he is . If Scott Ferguson decides the Oils playoff fate ..then this team is in SERIOUS trouble .
Its probably because Fergie doesn't score enough...

Closed Thread