HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report #23-Marty Turco on parade

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 02:50 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
It doesn't prove anything. Players who aren't playing don't have high value, especially when they pick and choose the teams they want to go to.
and Philly lost three dman in a short time. Clarke admitted he didn't want to trade Williams but the situation FORCED him to do so. Even if Lowe would have waited, Comrie wasn't going to turn into a dman.

So I agree with this poster, it doesn't prove a thing.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:55 PM
hockeyaddict101

Have to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
Scott Ferguson had absolutely no business poaching in for the goal he scored. Its a scoreless game being played tight to the vest and he got the bounce of all bounces which will encourage him to do it some more and perhaps cost you a playoff spot. Horcoff got 19 minutes tonite but that had much more to do with York's absence. Much needed two points for the oil , Dallas did not feel like fighting thru their checks and made it fairly easy.
It is not always wrong to pinch in a 0-0 tie. It depends on the situation and if anyone is covering for you.

In this situation Ferguson made the correct read. Dallas was not in the position to intercept the puck which hit the post and start an odd man rush and there were players back to cover for Ferguson.

It was a good pinch as is pretty obvious by the result.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:00 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
This board seems to pick on Ferguson more than anyone else on the Oil .I cant figure out why ..i think he does a good job at what he is a 6th or 7th D-man ...i for one was glad to see him score .I hardly would lay the Oilers position in the standings on Fergie , and i think he has been consistent for what he is . If Scott Ferguson decides the Oils playoff fate ..then this team is in SERIOUS trouble .
I agree. He should be graded on the expecations for a sixth dman. He does fine and I disagree with the assessment that he was out of position a lot in any game. He is a guy that I rarely notice out of position and a guy that most of the time makes the simple play.

He doesn't play fancy but he does his job.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Whitenoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I agree. He should be graded on the expecations for a sixth dman. He does fine and I disagree with the assessment that he was out of position a lot in any game. He is a guy that I rarely notice out of position and a guy that most of the time makes the simple play.

He doesn't play fancy but he does his job.
He's the perfect 7th defenseman, in my opinion. A guy with experience but just enough talent to stay in the NHL and no aspirations of moving up. He can sit in the pressbox instead of some young guy who could be getting top minutes in the A. It was just a little frustrating early in the season watching him play instead of Semenov, but that's not his fault, it's the coach's.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:45 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitenoise
He's the perfect 7th defenseman, in my opinion. A guy with experience but just enough talent to stay in the NHL and no aspirations of moving up. He can sit in the pressbox instead of some young guy who could be getting top minutes in the A. It was just a little frustrating early in the season watching him play instead of Semenov, but that's not his fault, it's the coach's.
I agree that he's the perfect 7th defenseman - he's low maintenance, can sit for extended periods and then play decently, plays tough.

The Oilers problem is that he isn't being used as the 7th defenseman but rather as the 6th. The fact that he has played 44 games this year shows how shallow the Oilers are on defense. Things may be better next year, assuming there is a next year, with Lynch getting his chance. However, I see MacT being very reluctant to give any rookie many minutes.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:18 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
And I seriously believe, if the situation had been handled right, foregoing Comrie still being here, but handling the trade predicament correctly (with regards to things like training camp, press, etc.) Lowe could've gotten a guy like Simon Gagne in w/e Comrie deal he decided to make. Not saying he wouldn't add a little, but am saying it could've/should've been done.
Please define what "handled right" means, and while you are at it, do you want to let the rest of us Oiler fans in on the full story, as you seem to know it.

There is a huge difference between the Comrie and Markov trades. One was dictated by a want, the other was dictated by a need. The Flyers didn't need Comrie, they just felt he would be a nice addition to their team. The Flyers needed Markov.

Old
01-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Calnes

back to turd for a second

he has been jumping up in the plays more and more as the season has gone on. he doesn't normally rush the puck, but joins the rush and if there isn't a play, returns to his post pretty quick, like on the goal, he was starting to retreat when he got the puck.

i agree that he is the perfect 7th dman for us, but i think he could play and be of more value to a lot of other teams out there, i doubt we could get any return tho, he would probly have to be an add-on to a deal (so i think we keep him)

Old
01-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
I agree that he's the perfect 7th defenseman - he's low maintenance, can sit for extended periods and then play decently, plays tough.

The Oilers problem is that he isn't being used as the 7th defenseman but rather as the 6th. The fact that he has played 44 games this year shows how shallow the Oilers are on defense. Things may be better next year, assuming there is a next year, with Lynch getting his chance. However, I see MacT being very reluctant to give any rookie many minutes.
I disagree. I think MacT has given ample time to the rookies. Those who take the opportunity, and become reliable NHL quality players run with it. Examples include Hemsky, Semenov, Torres, Stoll, Pisani, Conklin. Then there are those who make critical mistakes and are slow to learn and hence are sitting the doghouse or are returned to the RoadRunners: Chimera, Bergeron, Sarno. I think Tony Salmeleinen is a case of someone who played well, but was sent down due to the numbers of Right Wingers we have here.

Closed Thread