HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I wish Renney wasn't so stubborn....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2007, 08:42 AM
  #1
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,318
vCash: 500
I wish Renney wasn't so stubborn....

...because he really has done a lot of good things for this team and the organization. However, the following glaring weaknesses will prevent this current team from winning the Stanley Cup, whoch we all know at season's beginning was a legitimate goal for the franchise.

1) His dedication to the 4th line: I love Blair Betts..He's the prototypical 4th liner..He's good at faceoffs, blocks shots, great in the corners and even musters a scoring chance every now and then. Unfortunately, his linemates are TERRIBLE!!!!!!! No excuse whatsoever, to put players like Orr and Hollweg on the ice immediately after the Rangers score a goal. The experiment has failed miserably...And I hate it when MSG goes on and on about how "good" the 4th line has played and that Colton Orr is "trying to be more than a fighter" ??????????????????????? Are you kidding me? If this were 1991, pre-expansion, guys like Orr and Hollweg wouldn't even be in the ECHL!!!!!! More like the UHL or the WPHL!!!

My solution is move Prucha and Callahan to the fourth line..It'll have speed, tenacity, solid grinders and all three have no problem throwing the body. Give them all PK time and they should get around 11-13 mins a game. Even though Prucha and Callahan have shown they are capable of scoring goals in bunches, the rangers are so deep at forward that it makes sense to move them down.

so:

Straka-Drury-Jagr -- I love Dubinky's game, but by the time the playoffs roll around, this line should have great chemistry

Avery-Gomez-Shanhan -- Money line. Literally and figureatively. No need for changes.

Dawes-Dubinsky-Hossa -- I know about the Isles game where Hossa gaffed, but seriously, he hjas become reliable defensively. Dawes is a bonafide sniper and Dubinsky has proven he knows how to get the puck to people, even if those people who wear #68 REFUSE TO SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jagr's struggles are a whole new thread. Stay tuned

Prucha-Betts-Callahan -- It'll work...trust me.

2) Renney has no game plan for when the Rangers have the lead late in games. Did you know that the Rangers' defense leads the NHL is shots allowed from the slot???? The late-game odd man rushes are totally inexcusable. The coverage down low is as good as it was in 2001, and don't get me started on the decision-making with outlet passes. The Rangers never press, and even in the Ottawa game, they were back on their heels the whole 3rd pd..Oh, did I mention that the 4th line got a regular shift that game...IN THE THIRD PERIOD!!!!!!!!

3) The power play is terrible because they simply don't shooot the puck. watch any other team in the top 15 operate on the PP...They gun it at the net...lots of one-timers from the point and high slot during 5-on-3's...Buffalo, Detroit and MTL do this a lot and it works. The Rangers draw a lot of penalties, so you know the effort is there, but they have to make opponents pay for slowing down their game. Get Roszival off the 1st unit...It should be Staal and Girardi because both have great offensive instincts around the net, and Staal has a gun from the blue line.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 09:31 AM
  #2
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Those lines are terrible. Hollweg and Orr are not here to provide offense. They provide toughness. When that idiot Brashear starts running our players who do you think is going to step up to him?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 10:23 AM
  #3
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,012
vCash: 500
I think Renney should try Jagr-Straka-Prucha, Prucha loves to play with Jagr, maybe it gets both of them going.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 04:55 PM
  #4
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Those lines are terrible. Hollweg and Orr are not here to provide offense. They provide toughness. When that idiot Brashear starts running our players who do you think is going to step up to him?
Tougness?????? Where has that been with Orr and Hollweg and what has it done for the team? So by your rationale, getting your clock cleaned and having the puck breaking into a zillion pieces every time you touch it during the 7 mins you play a game is paramount to having multiple skills or facets to a forwards game. That's rediculous. Shanahan, Avery, Callahan, Drury (if you've followed his career, you'd know) Dubinsky, Staal are all tough players who won't back down to anybody. Hollweg and Orr have been liabilities since they put that miserable line together, and I can understand at least either Orr or Hollweg on the line, but definitely not both at the same time.

Hollweg and Orr disgust me as a Rangers fan, I have no loyalty to them, and I will not support Renney's decision to play them ever. Look at all the rangers' enforcers from when the team was winning (recent memory)...King, Mallete, Domi, Barnaby, Simon, McCarthy, Beukeboom, heck even Mark Janssens had more skill in his sweaty glove than Orr and Hollweg combined.

But just an opinion.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 05:15 PM
  #5
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,549
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm getting ready to start with the "fire Renney" mentality soon.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 05:57 PM
  #6
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Prucha-Betts-Callahan 4th line

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
...because he really has done a lot of good things for this team and the organization. However, the following glaring weaknesses will prevent this current team from winning the Stanley Cup, whoch we all know at season's beginning was a legitimate goal for the franchise.

1) His dedication to the 4th line: I love Blair Betts..He's the prototypical 4th liner..He's good at faceoffs, blocks shots, great in the corners and even musters a scoring chance every now and then. Unfortunately, his linemates are TERRIBLE!!!!!!! No excuse whatsoever, to put players like Orr and Hollweg on the ice immediately after the Rangers score a goal. The experiment has failed miserably...And I hate it when MSG goes on and on about how "good" the 4th line has played and that Colton Orr is "trying to be more than a fighter" ??????????????????????? Are you kidding me? If this were 1991, pre-expansion, guys like Orr and Hollweg wouldn't even be in the ECHL!!!!!! More like the UHL or the WPHL!!!

My solution is move Prucha and Callahan to the fourth line..It'll have speed, tenacity, solid grinders and all three have no problem throwing the body. Give them all PK time and they should get around 11-13 mins a game. Even though Prucha and Callahan have shown they are capable of scoring goals in bunches, the rangers are so deep at forward that it makes sense to move them down.

so:

Straka-Drury-Jagr -- I love Dubinky's game, but by the time the playoffs roll around, this line should have great chemistry

Avery-Gomez-Shanhan -- Money line. Literally and figureatively. No need for changes.

Dawes-Dubinsky-Hossa -- I know about the Isles game where Hossa gaffed, but seriously, he hjas become reliable defensively. Dawes is a bonafide sniper and Dubinsky has proven he knows how to get the puck to people, even if those people who wear #68 REFUSE TO SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jagr's struggles are a whole new thread. Stay tuned

Prucha-Betts-Callahan -- It'll work...trust me.

2) Renney has no game plan for when the Rangers have the lead late in games. Did you know that the Rangers' defense leads the NHL is shots allowed from the slot???? The late-game odd man rushes are totally inexcusable. The coverage down low is as good as it was in 2001, and don't get me started on the decision-making with outlet passes. The Rangers never press, and even in the Ottawa game, they were back on their heels the whole 3rd pd..Oh, did I mention that the 4th line got a regular shift that game...IN THE THIRD PERIOD!!!!!!!!

3) The power play is terrible because they simply don't shooot the puck. watch any other team in the top 15 operate on the PP...They gun it at the net...lots of one-timers from the point and high slot during 5-on-3's...Buffalo, Detroit and MTL do this a lot and it works. The Rangers draw a lot of penalties, so you know the effort is there, but they have to make opponents pay for slowing down their game. Get Roszival off the 1st unit...It should be Staal and Girardi because both have great offensive instincts around the net, and Staal has a gun from the blue line.
Prucha-Betts-Callahan 4th line... I like that... TRY it Tom...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:07 PM
  #7
Bretzky*
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Those lines are terrible. Hollweg and Orr are not here to provide offense. They provide toughness. When that idiot Brashear starts running our players who do you think is going to step up to him?
Wake up. Orr and Hollweg aren't deterring anyone from running our players. If a Brashear is going to run our players, he's going to do it regardless of who's in the lineup. Brashear isn't scared of anyone in this league, and most other guys in that mold aren't either. Hollweg hasn't provided toughness this year at all. He should not be on this roster. Orr is slow, but has improved. He's good enough / valuable as a heavyweight fighter to be in the lineup for about 50% of the games, but not all of them.

Nobody's expecting Orr and Hollweg to provide offense. But they haven't been hitting or forechecking or "shutting down" any of their opposing lines like they seemed to be doing a few weeks ago. (I think this may have been more of our team-play dictating the game and the 4th line playing solid enough to get by unscathed)


Malik is total trash. Renney benches him. Malik whines to the press. Renney rewards him by putting him on the top pair? He's a dumb, doofy, crappy player who is NOT NHL-caliber. End of the ****ing story. I don't care if he can make break-out passes. I know 10-year-olds who have better awareness in their own zone. And all of them could beat Malik in a foot-race.

Strudwick on the 4th line isn't an upgrade over Hollweg. He's a 6th or 7th defenseman. Don't try to make him something else.

Dubinsky needs to be on the 3rd line. I guarantee he will start producing on a line with less expectations.

Drury needs to be in the top 6. No way around it. He has to be in the top 6. We don't have 6 other players who are better than him. There's no reason why he should still be on the 3rd line. The Dubinsky experiment is OVER. We have to stop catering to Jagr. It's not the formula for this team to win. We've seen the formula. It starts with Henrik. It involves 5 men in the frame and SHOOTING the puck. Basically, the game Pheonix played tonight. Jagr is Jagr. He will come around eventually regardless of who he is playing with. Stop sacrificing the rest of the lineup just to keep Dubinsky on the 1st line so Jagr is happy. Enough. I'd try a 1b line of Drury-Gomez-Shanahan. This line should ensure at least 8 shots on goal per game. Since Avery has been great with every line he's played on and really sparked his teammates, why not try him opposite Jagr with Straka in the middle? 3rd line of Dawes-Dubi-Hoss is a nice mix of speed, size, defensive prowess, and finesse.
Hollweg has to be gone. Moore looked okay. I'd give him a few more games to see how he responds in different situations (and in games in which we aren't trailing 5-0 in the 2nd). Orr should be in against Isles, Devils, Flyers, etc. There's really no room for Prucha on this team when everyone is healthy. He doesn't contribute enough if he's not scoring, and I feel bad for him, but he just can't buy one. Include him in a package deal. Dawes seems to have more offense and can create on his own, and is no less a defensive liability than Prucha is at this point.

Avery Straka Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan
Dawes Dubinsky Hossa
Moore Betts Orr/Callahan

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:14 PM
  #8
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
when Avery's ready to go this

Straka Drury Jagr
Avery Gomez Shanny
Prucha Dubinsky Dawes
Moore Betts Callahan

until then

Prucha Straka Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanny
Dawes Dubinsky Hossa
Moore Betts Callahan, but probably Orr or Hollweg since Cally was sent down

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:40 PM
  #9
mstraka82
 
mstraka82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
I totally agree with what your saying, i wish Renney would stop and put Dru with Jagr, cause i dont think Dubi is ready to handle Jags right now, and if you want to make the playoffs u put the best offense out there.....

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:46 PM
  #10
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm getting ready to start with the "fire Renney" mentality soon.
there's always room for ya.

i deeply appreciate renney for what's he's done with this organization.

but with bigger expectations comes bigger responsibility. and he simply can't handle it anymore in my eyes.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:49 PM
  #11
AXN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
I would put Hossa with Straka and Jagr for now.
Why scratch Hollweg now?

Hossa Straka Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan
Dawes Dubinsky Prucha
Hollweg Betts Orr

These are my lines right now.
Just replace Hossa with Avery on the top two lines.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
  #12
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
I would put Hossa with Straka and Jagr for now.
Why? He has barely more production than Betts, Hollweg or Orr. To keep putting a 4th liner on the top two lines is not going to help solve the problems with the offense.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 07:30 AM
  #13
NHLhockey1234
 
NHLhockey1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Why wasn't Avery cursing off the other team on the bench? He's got to stop being in the seats up at MSG and enjoying the high life. We could at least take his barking voice over the baby cries of Renney.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 07:03 PM
  #14
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Why would anyone want to have Renney fired? He is the best thing thats happened to this team in a long time.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 07:31 PM
  #15
Bretzky*
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Why would anyone want to have Renney fired? He is the best thing thats happened to this team in a long time.
But you can't be blinded by the fact that he's had success with our teams the last two years. I'll always love Renney for being ONE piece of many (Lundqvist, Jagr come to mind) that finally got us back into the playoffs. That's not going to change. But, you have to continue to question every facet of a team on a regular basis or you won't make progress. The question is, "Is Renney the right coach (or best available coach) for THIS team, THIS year?" That's what you have to ask yourself. I question a lot of Renney's decisions, but so far THIS YEAR, his plan, when executed has been stellar and has resulted in wins. When the Rangers start deviating from the plan, things get messy and the game can go either way. So far, he's done his job and while we're all perfectly reasonable to question and complain about some of his lineup combinations and in-game decisions, we're still winning, despite our lack of offensive consistency. He hasn't done anything to warrant a firing, YET. There's still a lot of the season left to be played, and a lot more difficult decisions for Renney to make. Questioning is healthy.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 08:33 PM
  #16
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
But you can't be blinded by the fact that he's had success with our teams the last two years. I'll always love Renney for being ONE piece of many (Lundqvist, Jagr come to mind) that finally got us back into the playoffs. That's not going to change. But, you have to continue to question every facet of a team on a regular basis or you won't make progress. The question is, "Is Renney the right coach (or best available coach) for THIS team, THIS year?" That's what you have to ask yourself. I question a lot of Renney's decisions, but so far THIS YEAR, his plan, when executed has been stellar and has resulted in wins. When the Rangers start deviating from the plan, things get messy and the game can go either way. So far, he's done his job and while we're all perfectly reasonable to question and complain about some of his lineup combinations and in-game decisions, we're still winning, despite our lack of offensive consistency. He hasn't done anything to warrant a firing, YET. There's still a lot of the season left to be played, and a lot more difficult decisions for Renney to make. Questioning is healthy.
But why not ask the question of is it the players on the ice thats the problem instead? I mean I don't think anyone on the team has a problem with the coach (maybe Malik but thats sour grapes). I didn't like the idea of signing Gomez for a few reasons, not just because signing ex-debbies in the past has been a disaster, but also the chemistry reason. Nylander worked with JJ very well and I think they brought out the best in each other. Gomez I hope can find that chemistry but hasn't really been given the chance. I thought the team would go after one center and hold onto Nylander but they decided to go another route that may just be a mistake. I think signing Drury alone would have been enough but thats just my opinion.

Anyway the Rangers play a good system under Renney and I just like the whole coaching staff right now, not just Renney. I do disagree with some of his decisions like playing Dubinsky on the top line and dressing Orr all the time with Hollweg but what other options are out there right now? Cally seems to have lost a step from last season, Prucha is having a terrible start and Drury is also getting used to the team. I think time will make things better and Renney will get some lines to click eventually. Also having Avery injured so much hasn't helped with the lines much either.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 08:43 PM
  #17
Bretzky*
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
But why not ask the question of is it the players on the ice thats the problem instead? I mean I don't think anyone on the team has a problem with the coach (maybe Malik but thats sour grapes). I didn't like the idea of signing Gomez for a few reasons, not just because signing ex-debbies in the past has been a disaster, but also the chemistry reason. Nylander worked with JJ very well and I think they brought out the best in each other. Gomez I hope can find that chemistry but hasn't really been given the chance. I thought the team would go after one center and hold onto Nylander but they decided to go another route that may just be a mistake. I think signing Drury alone would have been enough but thats just my opinion.

Anyway the Rangers play a good system under Renney and I just like the whole coaching staff right now, not just Renney. I do disagree with some of his decisions like playing Dubinsky on the top line and dressing Orr all the time with Hollweg but what other options are out there right now? Cally seems to have lost a step from last season, Prucha is having a terrible start and Drury is also getting used to the team. I think time will make things better and Renney will get some lines to click eventually. Also having Avery injured so much hasn't helped with the lines much either.
Don't ask that question instead. Ask that question also. I think most of the threads here discuss which players we think fit where and which players give us reason to think they don't belong on the team. This is always discussed. All I was saying is that we shouldn't be blinded by the past. Don't stop asking if Renney is the right coach just because he was the right coach the last two years. The same way you shouldn't let Prucha's sub-par performance THIS YEAR off the hook because he scored 50+ goals in his first two.

As far as nobody on the team seeming to have a problem with the coach, I think you can't really know that. First of all, most players will say they love their coach, regardless of whether they actually do or not. Secondly, a coach may be loved by all of his players and still be the wrong coach for the team. It takes a mix of all the right ingredients: the right players, the right coach, the right decisions, the right gameplan, and a little bit of luck to win the Stanley Cup.

You have to keep your focus on the present and the future; never the past. Looking into the past may show you a player's statistics or performance, but he must be the right player for NOW and/or the future. The same applies to GMs and coaches.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 08:51 PM
  #18
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Don't ask that question instead. Ask that question also. I think most of the threads here discuss which players we think fit where and which players give us reason to think they don't belong on the team. This is always discussed. All I was saying is that we shouldn't be blinded by the past. Don't stop asking if Renney is the right coach just because he was the right coach the last two years. The same way you shouldn't let Prucha's sub-par performance THIS YEAR off the hook because he scored 50+ goals in his first two.

As far as nobody on the team seeming to have a problem with the coach, I think you can't really know that. First of all, most players will say they love their coach, regardless of whether they actually do or not. Secondly, a coach may be loved by all of his players and still be the wrong coach for the team. It takes a mix of all the right ingredients: the right players, the right coach, the right decisions, the right gameplan, and a little bit of luck to win the Stanley Cup.

You have to keep your focus on the present and the future; never the past. Looking into the past may show you a player's statistics or performance, but he must be the right player for NOW and/or the future. The same applies to GMs and coaches.
Untill Renney does something so stupid, so bad, so glaringly dumb I will support him. The Rangers went a long time with a string of bad coaches and Renney is a smart hockey guy. He has taken the team the next step last season and we have to give him that chance this year to do it again. The only way he gets fired is if he loses the locker room which I just dont see happening. He has given this team it's identity. The saluting the fans, the song in the dressing room, the whole team concept, bringing respictibility and responsibility on the ice, all Renney.

I get what ur saying about not letting his past decide his future, but at the same time his success has been greater than his failures to this point and that is why he isn't going to be fired.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 09:51 PM
  #19
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,318
vCash: 500
Just for the record, the 4th line drew two penalties (or at least were on the ice for tehm) and took three penalties, with Orr, Hollweg and Betts each getting hit with a minor. Also Orr logged more ice time than Callahan and Dawes, almost combined. i was at the game last night and I watched Orr away from the puck. He's slow to react, plays matador defense, and was constantly bailed out by Betts and the d-pairings in the d-zone. I just don't get Renney's infatuation with him. It's like Dolan with Marbury or Torre with Farnsworth. I just don't get it. The fourth line can still be an "energy line" with Callahan on it once Avery comes back. I'm sick of Renney, more so than I am of Roszival REFUSING to shoot the puck. Regardless of the 4-0 domination of the Pens last night. This team has glaring holes. Luckilly we have Henrik to make them seem small.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 10:22 PM
  #20
Bretzky*
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
Just for the record, the 4th line drew two penalties (or at least were on the ice for tehm) and took three penalties, with Orr, Hollweg and Betts each getting hit with a minor. Also Orr logged more ice time than Callahan and Dawes, almost combined. i was at the game last night and I watched Orr away from the puck. He's slow to react, plays matador defense, and was constantly bailed out by Betts and the d-pairings in the d-zone. I just don't get Renney's infatuation with him. It's like Dolan with Marbury or Torre with Farnsworth. I just don't get it. The fourth line can still be an "energy line" with Callahan on it once Avery comes back. I'm sick of Renney, more so than I am of Roszival REFUSING to shoot the puck. Regardless of the 4-0 domination of the Pens last night. This team has glaring holes. Luckilly we have Henrik to make them seem small.
Marbury is a bad comparison. He's a guy with an amazing skill set who has Allan Houston-syndrome and can't be the go-to guy that everyone expects him to be. He has trouble elevating his game to that next level.

Farnsworth on the other hand is a perfect comparison. Farnsworth can throw fast. That is it. He's not a real pitcher.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:40 AM
  #21
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 9,801
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Wake up. Orr and Hollweg aren't deterring anyone from running our players. If a Brashear is going to run our players, he's going to do it regardless of who's in the lineup. Brashear isn't scared of anyone in this league, and most other guys in that mold aren't either. Hollweg hasn't provided toughness this year at all. He should not be on this roster. Orr is slow, but has improved. He's good enough / valuable as a heavyweight fighter to be in the lineup for about 50% of the games, but not all of them.

Nobody's expecting Orr and Hollweg to provide offense. But they haven't been hitting or forechecking or "shutting down" any of their opposing lines like they seemed to be doing a few weeks ago. (I think this may have been more of our team-play dictating the game and the 4th line playing solid enough to get by unscathed)


Malik is total trash. Renney benches him. Malik whines to the press. Renney rewards him by putting him on the top pair? He's a dumb, doofy, crappy player who is NOT NHL-caliber. End of the ****ing story. I don't care if he can make break-out passes. I know 10-year-olds who have better awareness in their own zone. And all of them could beat Malik in a foot-race.

Strudwick on the 4th line isn't an upgrade over Hollweg. He's a 6th or 7th defenseman. Don't try to make him something else.

Dubinsky needs to be on the 3rd line. I guarantee he will start producing on a line with less expectations.

Drury needs to be in the top 6. No way around it. He has to be in the top 6. We don't have 6 other players who are better than him. There's no reason why he should still be on the 3rd line. The Dubinsky experiment is OVER. We have to stop catering to Jagr. It's not the formula for this team to win. We've seen the formula. It starts with Henrik. It involves 5 men in the frame and SHOOTING the puck. Basically, the game Pheonix played tonight. Jagr is Jagr. He will come around eventually regardless of who he is playing with. Stop sacrificing the rest of the lineup just to keep Dubinsky on the 1st line so Jagr is happy. Enough. I'd try a 1b line of Drury-Gomez-Shanahan. This line should ensure at least 8 shots on goal per game. Since Avery has been great with every line he's played on and really sparked his teammates, why not try him opposite Jagr with Straka in the middle? 3rd line of Dawes-Dubi-Hoss is a nice mix of speed, size, defensive prowess, and finesse.
Hollweg has to be gone. Moore looked okay. I'd give him a few more games to see how he responds in different situations (and in games in which we aren't trailing 5-0 in the 2nd). Orr should be in against Isles, Devils, Flyers, etc. There's really no room for Prucha on this team when everyone is healthy. He doesn't contribute enough if he's not scoring, and I feel bad for him, but he just can't buy one. Include him in a package deal. Dawes seems to have more offense and can create on his own, and is no less a defensive liability than Prucha is at this point.

Avery Straka Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan
Dawes Dubinsky Hossa
Moore Betts Orr/Callahan


Malik is a hockey version of Cosmo Kramer

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:50 AM
  #22
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
UUntill Renney does something so stupid, so bad, so glaringly dumb I will support him. The Rangers went a long time with a string of bad coaches and Renney is a smart hockey guy. He has taken the team the next step last season and we have to give him that chance this year to do it again. The only way he gets fired is if he loses the locker room which I just dont see happening. He has given this team it's identity. The saluting the fans, the song in the dressing room, the whole team concept, bringing responsibility on the ice, all Renney.

I get what ur saying about not letting his past decide his future, but at the same time his success has been greater than his failures to this point and that is why he isn't going to be fired.
Sorry but that is silly IMO.

So he has a complete pass on the teams lack of offense?

Blame all the players for the lack of offense this season but don't blame the coaching?

When is it time to say "hey wait? maybe its not the players but that coaching that is the cause we cant score?"

Sorry, but its very silly IMO. The entire team can't score but some just blame the whole team but the coaching gets a free pass not to be included??

Why do they get a pass? Is it because Jagr dominated the NHL the past 2 season and helped get us easy wins, or Lundqvist dominating almost every game to help get us easy wins?

Really? What is it? Because when Jagr and Lundqvist are not dominating, we lose almost every one of those games.

Please, explain to me how Renney gets a free pass all the time when the "entire" team can't score and when we don't get "elite" goaltending from Lundqvist and we lose. But the players get blamed but never the coaching?

No Jagr, No Lundqivst = Loss, and the coaching staff has no idea what the hell to do to fix it.

Im so tired of it. Renney will never win this team a cup and we will waste the last year or two left we have of Jagr.


Last edited by FLYLine24*: 12-20-2007 at 12:55 AM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 06:41 AM
  #23
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Marbury is a bad comparison. He's a guy with an amazing skill set who has Allan Houston-syndrome and can't be the go-to guy that everyone expects him to be. He has trouble elevating his game to that next level.

Farnsworth on the other hand is a perfect comparison. Farnsworth can throw fast. That is it. He's not a real pitcher.
I was just stating how a coach's or GM's personal feelings towards somebody on or off the playing feeling can cloud their judgement. Orr never had any "promise" or expectations like Farnsworth or Marbury, but the coach seems to think he does and I think it hurts the team

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 06:52 AM
  #24
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Im so tired of it. Renney will never win this team a cup and we will waste the last year or two left we have of Jagr.
He's done the right thing now, IMO.

Jagr with Dubinsky will suffice for the playoffs, with Lundqvist the beast that he is.

But Jagr-Gomez can win you the Cup. It's make or break, but you have to aim for higher goals... And while they might struggle here and there, Jagr's line will have to be the best it can be come playoff time for the Rangers to win it all.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 08:25 AM
  #25
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
The entire team can't score but some just blame the whole team but the coaching gets a free pass not to be included??
You know, thats just not entirely true.

Scott Gomez is on pace to score 67 pts. He scores 60 pts last season... He also got a point per game the last 25 games or so after starting very slow for a new team.

Chris Drury is on pace to score 57 pts. He have never been over 70 pts in a season. He had 53 pts both in 03' and 04'.

Brendan Shanahan is on pace to score 27 goals and 60 pts, not bad for a 38 y/o...

Rozsival is on pace for 60 pts, 50% more then he ever have scored before...

Avery is on pace to get around 50, career high by a wide margin.

The only players who haven't score are the ones who have made out our 1st line for big parts of the season, Straka/Hossa-Dubinsky-Jagr, along with Prucha and Callahan.

The entire blueline are on their way to score career high by wide marigins, with the exception of Paul Mara who got solid numbers from seasons where he was the clearcut go to guy on the blueline.

I think a big problem is that management and fans really overrated the new guys we got. Its nothing wrong with them IMO, but Nylander and Cullen wheren't too shabby either. In retrospective a reasonable expectation on this team should defenitly have been that they should have scored less in the early parts in of this season. Instead everyone, me included, expected us to be a better offensive team, which just wasn't reasonable. Thoose expectations have hurt the team.

I think this teams lack of scoreing origns in certain very destinctive flaws as units on the ice. Drury is forced to spend allot of time to chase the puck all over the ice, his line have not been able to get the puck into the attacking zone enough. Gomez have not had much puck support when he have entered the zone. And Jagr have just been under the ice, in combination the fact that Hossa& Dubinsky just aren't up for the challenge to go up against the best checkunits in the east night after night, and produce while dooing so.

We need to overcome thoose structual flaws. But I have a really hard time seeing another coach who would have had the ability to come in and correct them right away. Especially considering that we are aiming high, and even if we might have had better results early in the season playing a more simple gameplan, we would have had zero potential with that style down the road.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.