HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

From .897 to .899

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 01:58 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

vCash: 500
From .897 to .899

...that's where Salo's save % is at after the SO tonight. Little by little, inch by excruciating inch...it crawls towards the league average.

C'mon Tommy, can you at least get to that level for 3.9M? Pretty please?

Old
01-21-2004, 07:12 AM
Tendencyman

vCash: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
...that's where Salo's save % is at after the SO tonight. Little by little, inch by excruciating inch...it crawls towards the league average.

C'mon Tommy, can you at least get to that level for 3.9M? Pretty please?

That is a good sign. At least oilers can trade him at trade deadline if right deal comes.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:04 AM
McJadeddog

even though salo is getting close to the league average in GAA he isnt really anywhere NEAR the average in save%..... in fact he would basically need to have a .950-.960 save percentage for the rest of the season to bring it up to the league average, and that aint gonna happen..... im not saying that he hasnt played great the last little bit, but rather that he just played SOOOOOO terribly at the beginning of the year that he'll have to stand on his head for the rest of the seaosn for his stats to look respectable at the end of the season

Old
01-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
even though salo is getting close to the league average in GAA he isnt really anywhere NEAR the average in save%..... in fact he would basically need to have a .950-.960 save percentage for the rest of the season to bring it up to the league average, and that aint gonna happen..... im not saying that he hasnt played great the last little bit, but rather that he just played SOOOOOO terribly at the beginning of the year that he'll have to stand on his head for the rest of the seaosn for his stats to look respectable at the end of the season
Ive been hard on Salo, but he deserves credit for pulling his game together. I don't think getting to the league average concerns me as much as him continuing to play solid, confident, clutch goaltending.

Cheers to Tommy!

Old
01-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwass11
Ive been hard on Salo, but he deserves credit for pulling his game together. I don't think getting to the league average concerns me as much as him continuing to play solid, confident, clutch goaltending.

Cheers to Tommy!
And at this point in the season, it doesn't really matter how he played at the beginning. If he can have a great second half, the Oilkers should make the playoffs which is what matters.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:05 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwass11

Cheers to Tommy!
Yep in this case stats are for losers. We all know he struggled and his save percentage is not going to reach league average.

I could care less, he is playing excellent right now and if he continues that play that is now what matters.

He can't change the past but the future is his to control.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Don't get me wrong...

This wasn't meant to be a shot on Salo, I WANT him to keep going like he is, IMO we have a better chance of making the playoffs riding him than Conklin. I just wish he hadn't struggled so badly early in the year, if he had played even OK we might not be in the life or death struggle that is the Oilers' current residence now.

As far as I'm concerned, if he gets his sv% to league average we're in the playoffs because he'll have stood on his head the rest of the year to accomplish it, and that's what we'll need.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:51 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Yep in this case stats are for losers. We all know he struggled and his save percentage is not going to reach league average.

I could care less, he is playing excellent right now and if he continues that play that is now what matters.

He can't change the past but the future is his to control.
you have to wonder what his future is. Suppose he continues on for the rest of the year playing the way he has for the last month.

Do the Oilers pick up his option @ $3.9M or do they take a chance and try to sign him for less? Do you wait for the trade deadline when his value is likey at its maximum and do a trade? Just how valuable is being 8th and playing detroit, is it worth keeping Salo for the rest of the year?

Old
01-21-2004, 04:12 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
The only way I see the Oilers picking up the option for Salo is if the Oilers win a playoff series, or at the very least Tommy does everything humanly possible goaltending wise to give the Oilers any kind of shot at winning said playoff series.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:44 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Something needs to be done...there is absolutly no way that any team should be 4th in the west for GF and be tied for 10th in the west...

Old
01-21-2004, 09:09 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
you have to wonder what his future is. Suppose he continues on for the rest of the year playing the way he has for the last month.

Do the Oilers pick up his option @ $3.9M or do they take a chance and try to sign him for less? Do you wait for the trade deadline when his value is likey at its maximum and do a trade? Just how valuable is being 8th and playing detroit, is it worth keeping Salo for the rest of the year?
Yeah, good point. I really don't think he is worth the 3.9 million to pick up his option. Questions aplenty. Do we trade him? my Ans: Maybe but I am not confident that Conklin is ready to be a number one goalie so we then need to trade for another goalie.

Would Salo be willing to renegotiate his contract? my Ans: Worth a try but I doubt it.

The answers all depend on his second half, there are a few teams looking for goaltenders, if the Oileres are not in the playoff hunt in March and Salo his regained his form of a few years ago there may be some teams willing to overpay for him. If we are in the hunt I say stick with Salo and see what kind of deal we can get in the offseason for a goaltender and possibly trade Salo.

I can't see the Oilers picking up his option.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:10 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Would Salo be willing to renegotiate his contract? my Ans: Worth a try but I doubt it.
I think he would. He looks like a type a guy that sticks to one place. Besides, there is no guarantee that he'd get any offers on the open market. How many teams need a goalie now? Not many. Philly perhaps, but they'll go for Bulin or Burke most likely. If Salo was offered about 2.5 with bonuses he'd take it probably.

Old
01-22-2004, 02:00 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Ya, it wouldn't suprise me at all to see Tommy take a cut to stay in Edmonton. When he renagotiated his last contract people were so happy because he didn't sign for as much as he could have demanded at the time.

Old
01-22-2004, 02:51 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Ya, it wouldn't suprise me at all to see Tommy take a cut to stay in Edmonton. When he renagotiated his last contract people were so happy because he didn't sign for as much as he could have demanded at the time.
The reason I mention this is there was talk once this contract expired that he may go back to Sweden.

Old
01-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
The reason I mention this is there was talk once this contract expired that he may go back to Sweden.
Hmm... that might be the only other legitimate threat. I think Tommy knows that the Oil have treated him well, and rescued him from Mad Mike on the Isle. I think he's also a humble enough a guy to know that the Oil deserved better this past 2 years. Here's to hoping at least... I'm not convinced that the other goalies out there are noticeably any better than Salo at a reduced contract. Hackett can't hack it for a Hitchcock oriented defensive scheme, how could he do it here where its more open? Biron might be available but he's not a UFA, so we would have to move a body. Jani Hurme is recovering from some sort of long term injury or surgery. Cujo costs as much as one quarter of the team. Byron Dafoe isn't beating Pasi Nurminen for a job in Atlanta, which tells me that Dafoe isn't Da Man. Would you want Roman Turek from Calgary (assuming Calgary turfs Turek out of the threesome there)? I don't think "Large" is necessarily better. Hmm... Maybe NYR. They have Dunham, Markannen and Blackburn. One of the three maybe.

Closed Thread