HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

GDT-Blues v Flames

Old
12-16-2007, 06:43 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
At least Walt will show up in the box score now.
I'm just glad he got Phaneuf off the ice. Hopefully, he'll chase him out of the penalty box for round two. Keeping Dion off the ice is a good job for Keith.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 06:48 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I'm just glad he got Phaneuf off the ice. Hopefully, he'll chase him out of the penalty box for round two. Keeping Dion off the ice is a good job for Keith.
It's good for him to step up w/o Kinger or Walker in the lineup. I just want him to show up on the scoresheet too! C'mon Walt, Gordie Howe hatrick time!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Checker*

Perron has played less than 4 minutes this game.

He's been more noticeable in those minutes than Rucinsky or Tkachuk (other than the fight) has all game. Yet after the game, we'll hear more from Murray on how you need to earn your minutes on this team...blah blah blah. The fact is, we all know Perron deserves better than what Murray has given him.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 06:58 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Hopefully, no one tries to answer the bell with Eric Godard. I was hoping him and King would have round II.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:07 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Can I ask you guys what line Andy Mac appears to be playing on?
Are you going Kariya-Macdonald-Boyes?

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:11 PM
lemieux32*

That was a ***** call. Had Kipper not slid out at the last second Tkachuk never touches him.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Can I ask you guys what line Andy Mac appears to be playing on?
Are you going Kariya-Macdonald-Boyes?
yep.

It's our first and only scoring line

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:17 PM
BlueNhockeytown

We need to tie this up and at least get to OT.

BlueNhockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:22 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
yep.

It's our first and only scoring line
It should be a good one though.

Cheers!

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:54 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Andy Mac!

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:58 PM
General Veers

Thanks to the stupid schedule, the team (and us) gets to stew on this until Thur. when we play the Wings. Tough sledding ahead guys. Let's man up and get ready to beat Detroit!

Old
12-16-2007, 08:11 PM
General Veers

Man, with the way Kerbs and Chase are ripping Backman, you'd think they are preparing us for his imminent departure.

Old
12-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Like I said this summer, there was a huge debate about whether or not to keep Backman and the final verdict was that this could be a breakout year for him and he'd finally step up and show what he could do.

Clearly, he hasn't.

12-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Lunatik*

the Blues look like they will be a great team in the near future... they are looking pretty good this season and will be better next... it looks to me like you will have $$ to spend to improve the team as well

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Like I said this summer, there was a huge debate about whether or not to keep Backman and the final verdict was that this could be a breakout year for him and he'd finally step up and show what he could do.

Clearly, he hasn't.
with a year left on his contract he will get time to show whether or not he can step up... i think he will personally but of course you see him much more than i do

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 11:04 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
Man, with the way Kerbs and Chase are ripping Backman, you'd think they are preparing us for his imminent departure.
I didn't get to see tonight's game, but he was awful against Colorado and was more than deserving of a scratch against Edmonton. No surprise that he replicated that performance tonight. Sadly, this is just a slump for multiple players during a bad time and against a couple fiesty opponents. The Blues will settle down and start winning again. And I think Backman's play once they have turned things around will be the deciding factor.

Even if Murray is hard on the rookies, with Weight out the door, we're firmly in the realm of "no vet's job is safe." Backes, as before, plays best with McClement and Stempniak. And Rucinsky isn't cutting it (and I think the management knows it by this point). So the Blues need another scoring winger for the top six. The question is whether or not they wait for youngsters next year or if it's worth making a deal this year. Damn difficult decision for me, and I'm sure it's heinous for Pleau, Jarmo, and JD. I think that unless an incredibly sweet deal comes around, they aren't going to overstock themselves at forward and block out more youngsters. But the performance of the defense, particularly Mr. Backman, will play a big number in that dance.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 02:38 AM
Bluester

I was at the game. What was Backman doing on the ice with Johnson....Am I the only person that thinks that was a bad pairing? Also tell me what salvador was doing letting Iginla camp in front of the net....seriously not once but twice! I know it was a PK for us but you don't let someone like him just stand there and wait for the shot cause he'll put it in most of the time if you do.
If I am correct I do believe Brewer was on the ice for all 4 off the goals. I don't count the EN. I could be wrong but either way it seems like since coming off stong in the first of the year our D has really been slipping or just plan sleeping during a majority of games here lately. Checker I do get your point on Perron but why does it have to be a mulitple rant...I got your point the first time. I can't wait till next year. I am really interested to see what a Stemp-Oshie-Perron line would look like. If not just for a few games to see if they can get any good chemistry.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 08:19 AM
HackandLube

I heard there was a live band instead of the regular music tonight. That was kind of wierd. Whenever the Flames scored I heard the Cantina Bar music from Star Wars!!!

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:21 AM
St.Louis sports fan

The game basically came down to special teams with Calgary being the better team in that area. This is the second time in the last week or so where one line destroyed the Blues. This game AM had the last change so why didn't he have his defensive line shadow their top line? Oh yeah, he was too busy putting Perron on that line for his whole 4:59 of icetime. Calgary's announcer called 20 penalties on different Blues for make believe calls and complained that Legace looked like he was shot when Iginla hit him, but yet nothing about Kipprusoff sliding infront of Tkachuk. I'm not defending the Blues' announcers for not being homers, but that guy is rediculous. Worst I've heard all year. Maybe he should stick to radio where the people he's broadcasting to can't actually see that he's making stuff up.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 11:34 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
I heard there was a live band instead of the regular music tonight. That was kind of wierd. Whenever the Flames scored I heard the Cantina Bar music from Star Wars!!!
The St. Louis University pep band made a guest appearance last night, and did a good job. It was a pretty dead crowd for long stretches of the game, and the band livened things up a bit.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

so how did MacD look? I know he had a goal and an assist...but was he noticeable aside from that?

how well did he click with Kariya and Boyes?

thanks

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 12:20 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post

Clearly, he hasn't.
Hey Irish, Dont suppose you could give us a hint as to who was pro and who was con on Backman. C'mon, just a hint.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

My thoughts on last nights game....
The band was an awesome addition, really infused some life into the crowd.
Andy Mac played really well on the first line last night. I would really like to see that line stick. Everytime these were on the ice they had a shot, if not a scoring chance. However, they had a hard time cycling the puck and played sloppy D.

The second line was pathetic. TK, Mayers, MR can not be your second line if you want to win.

Perron looked pretty good last night. Me and a few of my buddies were ticked that he was on the 4th line and recieve practically no playing time. He has to be put on the second line! I always support Andy, but come on.

The kid line was alright. They had some good chances. I think that Backes has more to offer this team and if he does that line could really improve.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Hey Irish, Dont suppose you could give us a hint as to who was pro and who was con on Backman. C'mon, just a hint.
Specifically, I don't have everything - a lot of it was self-evident, though. Is Backman really poised to have that break-through year before too long and become a top-flight NHL defenseman, or is he going to be more like Frantisek Kucera - a guy who looks great in Europe and in international competitions, but never translates that success to the NHL? He's got talent, but he's still not strong enough to play like a really good defenseman - which is what the Blues have wanted him to be.

IMO, the worse thing is that he has talent but doesn't use it. He shows flashes at times, but he doesn't seem to have that drive to want to be really good; it's like he's content with being OK. The team has asked him to step up his play, challenged him to become a leader on the blueline and on the team - instead, it's like he doesn't want to be the center of attention and struggles with it. Look at the Olympics - he wasn't the star player on the blueline and he exceled accordingly. If EJ had a Norris Trophy-caliber season next year, Backman would likely play better - because he has someone else taking the attention. That won't cut it here - he's one of the veterans, he needs to be stepping up and leading and setting the bar for others to shoot at.

Ultimately, the decision was made to keep him here for 2 reasons: (1) the belief that he'd start to have that breakthrough moment this year, and (2) the feeling that the blueline as a whole was better with him - in other words, if we dealt him and replaced him with a Woywitka, Wagner or Polak [or anyone else from within], our defense wouldn't be as good ... and we were better off having Polak and Woywitka in Peoria for one more year if at all possible.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Diggy

I am glad Andy Mac looked good out there. I hope the change in scenery helps him this year as he was struggling an Anaheim.

Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote