HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roenick UNLOADS on Bettman

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2004, 07:40 AM
  #1
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Roenick UNLOADS on Bettman

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...comments_x.htm

"All I know is 10 years ago this league was pretty damn good. When did he come into term?"

"Our sport still is great," he said Thursday. "It's just ruled by Neanderthal people, that's all. Our sport is awesome, it's the best sport. We just have to learn how to run it right.""

"Roenick reiterated that referees should be reprimanded for allowing players to dictate penalty calls by falling to the ice in mock pain. And that players should be held just as accountable for their cowardly acts.

"You know what drives me crazy?" he said. "How the referees allow the sound of a hit to make a call. If the hit's too loud, they're going to make a call. It's almost like they don't want it to be physical. It's like somebody upstairs is telling them we have to watch out for the fierceness of our game to help protect people that are watching it. We don't want it to be a violent sport for the people watching."

True Blue is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 07:51 AM
  #2
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...comments_x.htm

"All I know is 10 years ago this league was pretty damn good. When did he come into term?"

"Our sport still is great," he said Thursday. "It's just ruled by Neanderthal people, that's all. Our sport is awesome, it's the best sport. We just have to learn how to run it right.""

"Roenick reiterated that referees should be reprimanded for allowing players to dictate penalty calls by falling to the ice in mock pain. And that players should be held just as accountable for their cowardly acts.

"You know what drives me crazy?" he said. "How the referees allow the sound of a hit to make a call. If the hit's too loud, they're going to make a call. It's almost like they don't want it to be physical. It's like somebody upstairs is telling them we have to watch out for the fierceness of our game to help protect people that are watching it. We don't want it to be a violent sport for the people watching."
What he is really mad at is losing $91,000 by being suspended. hey who can blame him? His views on the game are right on. These are the dark ages. The only way to open up the game now is to go 4 on 4 or make the ice surface bigger. Making the ice surface bigger isn't going to happen. The league has so many problems right now. Between the CBA, the refs, ticket prices, the horrible tv contract with abc/espn. This is all on Bettman. But really what can be done about all this? Bettman isn't going anywhere. The Refs should be held accountable for awful calls. The first thing they should do is get rid of the two ref system. It is clearly not working. Some of the best ideas don't work. The two ref system was a great idea and worth a try but it has clearly caused games to be called unevenly

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 07:59 AM
  #3
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
The only way to open up the game now is to go 4 on 4 or make the ice surface bigger.
That has 3 problems:
1. The NHL Players Union will never allow for so many jobs to be eliminated.
2. Playing 4 on 4 ALL THE TIME is not really NHL hockey, now is it?
3. The owners will never support anything that would REQUIRE them to shell out $$$ to expand the ice surface.

And JR is angry at more than the fine. He is angry, and rightfully so, that refs penalize players for hits that, while completely clean, are seen as "too hard". He is also angry that there is non-stop diving that the refs seem to buy into every time.

True Blue is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 08:13 AM
  #4
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
That has 3 problems:
1. The NHL Players Union will never allow for so many jobs to be eliminated.
2. Playing 4 on 4 ALL THE TIME is not really NHL hockey, now is it?
3. The owners will never support anything that would REQUIRE them to shell out $$$ to expand the ice surface.

And JR is angry at more than the fine. He is angry, and rightfully so, that refs penalize players for hits that, while completely clean, are seen as "too hard". He is also angry that there is non-stop diving that the refs seem to buy into every time.
Awesome! i didnt say it was going to to happen. I said it would make sense to do either things. Playing 4 on 4 in overtime is nhl hockey, now isnt it? I said in my post which i truly believe you didn't read expanding the ice surface would not happen. Talk of going 4 on 4 has been around now for years. Do i think it will happen? Yes maybe not for 15 years but yes eventually the nhl will go 4 on 4. it will be the best thing for the game.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 08:32 AM
  #5
Kodiak
Registered User
 
Kodiak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ranger fan in Philly
Posts: 2,185
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
The league has so many problems right now. Between the CBA, the refs, ticket prices, the horrible tv contract with abc/espn. This is all on Bettman.
I don't see how all of this is on Bettman. The refs are handled by Van Hellemond and the NHLOA. The ticket prices are set by each individual team. That horrible TV contract was the best that a sport that severely lacked popularity (as evidenced by the atrocious ratings) could get. As for the CBA, it takes two for this one, and Goodenow is not doing anything to ensure that there is NHL hockey next year either.

I'm no fan of Bettman, but more often than not he's just a scapegoat for something that he has no real power over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
2. Playing 4 on 4 ALL THE TIME is not really NHL hockey, now is it?
Hockey started out as a 9-on-9 game. Then it was dropped to 7-on-7, and 6-on-6 (I believe that even the early NHL employed the "rover") until it was whittled down to the 5-on-5 game we see today. I'm not saying that we should go to 4-on-4 all the time, but it's not something that's been a hard and fast rule for the history of the game.

Kodiak is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 08:32 AM
  #6
Bure9*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
Awesome! i didnt say it was going to to happen. I said it would make sense to do either things. Playing 4 on 4 in overtime is nhl hockey, now isnt it? I said in my post which i truly believe you didn't read expanding the ice surface would not happen. Talk of going 4 on 4 has been around now for years. Do i think it will happen? Yes maybe not for 15 years but yes eventually the nhl will go 4 on 4. it will be the best thing for the game.
I think it will eventually happen, as well. The difference between 5 on 5 and 4 on 4 is night and day. At the very least they should look into making power plays full two minutes so more 4 on 4 can be played.

Bure9* is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 10:41 AM
  #7
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
What he is really mad at is losing $91,000 by being suspended.
i completely disagree...first off $91,000 isn't that much $$ for him. he makes $7.5 mil/year, he isn't going to cry for days over $91,000...

second and more important, the reason roenick was suspended and lost that $$ was because he flipped out over a non-call. so how can you say that he is mad about being suspended, when the tirades are what led to a suspension??

he is pissed because he got high sticked in the face like 5 times in a week and none of them got called and he lost it...

this picture of roenick's face that show the results of those uncalled high sticks tells why he is so pissed at the refs and the league:


NYR469 is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 11:10 AM
  #8
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
i completely disagree...first off $91,000 isn't that much $$ for him. he makes $7.5 mil/year, he isn't going to cry for days over $91,000...

second and more important, the reason roenick was suspended and lost that $$ was because he flipped out over a non-call. so how can you say that he is mad about being suspended, when the tirades are what led to a suspension??

he is pissed because he got high sticked in the face like 5 times in a week and none of them got called and he lost it...

this picture of roenick's face that show the results of those uncalled high sticks tells why he is so pissed at the refs and the league:

Following the announcement of his suspension Wednesday, which cost him $91,463.41 US in salary, Roenick said: ``There seems to be no feeling for the player, only for the referees. ... I'm the one who gets punished and has money taken out of his pocket. Not Blaine Angus, but me, because they refused to do their job correctly.''
this is a quote from roenick after he found out about the suspension.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 11:26 AM
  #9
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500



the players know the league is dieing, the front office does but there is a lot of pride in a situation. if betteman comes out and says he messed up then he will NEVER work again, not as a consultant nothing. it's all politics.

as for the game, i agree with what messier said the other day. the reason scoring is down is that the refs simply arent doing their jobs. when you call penalties you open the ice up one way or the other. it's either open because people arent pulling stuff or its open because they pulled it, got penalized and are off the ice.

4 on 4 just seems too weird and there is no reason why after 75 years of people being able to score just fine that we need to reinvent the game now.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 04:53 PM
  #10
King Nothing*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
I agree 100% with Roenick's comments. Finally, someone with some balls to come out and give him hell! He is the worst Comissioner that any game has ever had! What in the world does he know about hockey? He has ruined the game for the players and the fans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...comments_x.htm

"All I know is 10 years ago this league was pretty damn good. When did he come into term?"

"Our sport still is great," he said Thursday. "It's just ruled by Neanderthal people, that's all. Our sport is awesome, it's the best sport. We just have to learn how to run it right.""

"Roenick reiterated that referees should be reprimanded for allowing players to dictate penalty calls by falling to the ice in mock pain. And that players should be held just as accountable for their cowardly acts.

"You know what drives me crazy?" he said. "How the referees allow the sound of a hit to make a call. If the hit's too loud, they're going to make a call. It's almost like they don't want it to be physical. It's like somebody upstairs is telling them we have to watch out for the fierceness of our game to help protect people that are watching it. We don't want it to be a violent sport for the people watching."

King Nothing* is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 05:56 PM
  #11
Skroob*
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
i was actually a little mad to hear Sam and JD rip into JR tonight. I mean, they see whats going on every night. They should see the reality better than most, but i guess keeping their jobs is more important to them, which is understandable.

Skroob* is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 08:37 PM
  #12
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
JD likes getting his checks as hockey's top color guy, no way he says anything out of line.

Besides when was the last time JD took a stand on anything, he's gotta be the most tip-toed politically correct "I'm everyone's friend" commentator in hockey.

Roenick and Hull have big mouths but 85% of the time what they are saying is valid.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-18-2004, 08:14 AM
  #13
RANGER#11
Registered User
 
RANGER#11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Norfolk, New York
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
i was actually a little mad to hear Sam and JD rip into JR tonight. I mean, they see whats going on every night. They should see the reality better than most, but i guess keeping their jobs is more important to them, which is understandable.
Ya I think JD would of went on longer if Sam would not of changed the subject.

RANGER#11 is offline  
Old
01-19-2004, 04:28 AM
  #14
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
i was actually a little mad to hear Sam and JD rip into JR tonight.
Mad, but not surprised. Although, about a week ago JD really went off on the officials himself. I can't remember which game it was that prompted his tirade, but it just goes to show how sever he offficiating problem is when even Mr. Politcally correct feels compelled to chime in.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
01-19-2004, 06:07 AM
  #15
kazo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
I wish JR's comments were only the tip of the iceberg and there was more to come from other people in the league. But sadly, I'm afraid nobody else has the balls to say how they really feel about the game and especially about this sad sack commissioner. Gary Bettman is not everything that's wrong with the league but he sure is a big part of it. Just getting rid of him would improve the quality of the game by a huge margin.

kazo is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 09:16 PM
  #16
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
He's the michael eisner of the NHL, he had the ideas and he started to raise the games and then he single handedly blew everything to kingdom come.

at this point they need fresh ideas and fresh faces in that office.

the best thing that someone can do right now for the NHL is embrace the fact that it is a niche sport and use that to it's advantage, kind of like the anti-hero approach.

Sometimes by not being "mainstream" a product ends up gaining popularity and exposure because it comes off as rogue or exciting.

It drives me nuts. I graduated with a bachelors in communications, a minor in marketing and i have two MBA's in marketing systems and finance. The NHL is sitting on a gold mine but betteman doesnt know what to do with his product. he is draining all the life out of it in an effort to make it user friendly and in the process he is turning EVERYONE off.

You have to know the market for your product, you can't put it out there and hope everyone likes the taste of it. That is what is killing the NHL, it lacks direction and EVERYTHING that you see is a result of it. From the officiating to the finances, everyone's hands are tires because they are trying to pass the league off as something it isn't.

it's lost it's oldtimers but it hasnt replaces them with new fans. the first thing i'd do if my client was the NHL? i'd give the product a soul. right now it has zero. it's bland, it's so fearful of being politically correct that it has no life.

Wanna know why pro wrestling {for better or worse} has been around for 50 years and will be around for 50 more? Because it accepts its core audience and though it makes mistakes, it at least makes an effort to steal your attention. hockey needs to understand its place in society and develop from there, not try to change everything on the fly.

From a marketing, advertising, pr and sales perspective that is killing them. they are trying to reinvent themselves but the problem is that no one knows who they are in the first place.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-21-2004, 11:33 AM
  #17
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,736
vCash: 500
I always thought it would be cool if a player or coach showed up to a post game press conference with a blank check, slammed it down on table, said here's a check fine me all you want...... and then go off on a tirade about the terrible officiating that the players, fans and coaches put up with every game.

sarge88 is offline  
Old
01-21-2004, 01:33 PM
  #18
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,017
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
i was actually a little mad to hear Sam and JD rip into JR tonight. I mean, they see whats going on every night. They should see the reality better than most, but i guess keeping their jobs is more important to them, which is understandable.
If JR was a Ranger and made those comments JD would back him 100%. JD is smart he wants his job. cant go with the arch rival Flyers on anything. i dont blame him at all. but everyone who i have talked to totally agrees with JR. he has the balls to say what is on his mind. its too bad we dont have more players like him to speak their mind, JR and Hull thats about it.

GoneFullHextall is online now  
Old
01-21-2004, 03:41 PM
  #19
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
He's the michael eisner of the NHL, he had the ideas and he started to raise the games and then he single handedly blew everything to kingdom come.

at this point they need fresh ideas and fresh faces in that office.

the best thing that someone can do right now for the NHL is embrace the fact that it is a niche sport and use that to it's advantage, kind of like the anti-hero approach.

Sometimes by not being "mainstream" a product ends up gaining popularity and exposure because it comes off as rogue or exciting.

It drives me nuts. I graduated with a bachelors in communications, a minor in marketing and i have two MBA's in marketing systems and finance. The NHL is sitting on a gold mine but betteman doesnt know what to do with his product. he is draining all the life out of it in an effort to make it user friendly and in the process he is turning EVERYONE off.

You have to know the market for your product, you can't put it out there and hope everyone likes the taste of it. That is what is killing the NHL, it lacks direction and EVERYTHING that you see is a result of it. From the officiating to the finances, everyone's hands are tires because they are trying to pass the league off as something it isn't.

it's lost it's oldtimers but it hasnt replaces them with new fans. the first thing i'd do if my client was the NHL? i'd give the product a soul. right now it has zero. it's bland, it's so fearful of being politically correct that it has no life.

Wanna know why pro wrestling {for better or worse} has been around for 50 years and will be around for 50 more? Because it accepts its core audience and though it makes mistakes, it at least makes an effort to steal your attention. hockey needs to understand its place in society and develop from there, not try to change everything on the fly.

From a marketing, advertising, pr and sales perspective that is killing them. they are trying to reinvent themselves but the problem is that no one knows who they are in the first place.
Agreed. 100%. It absolutely BLOWS my mind that no one at the head office has recognized that the NHL should be marketed as an xtreme-type, high adrenaline, aggressive, physical sport.
I don't know how it is down there in the States, but up here the music and video footage they use to promote the NHL makes it look like a slow, sanitized sport for hillbillies.
All they need to do is collect highlights from any week of action, get some cutting edge videoproducers, put an intense soundtrack behind it and VOILA! A deadly marketing tool
Imagine if they restricted the air a pro skateboarder could get off the pipe or the number of rotations a BMX'er could make in the air?

Marconius is offline  
Old
01-22-2004, 12:17 PM
  #20
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
one only needs to look at some of the sports that have become popular due in part to espn and some "extreme" marketing.

the nhl has a better product then any of those. heck look at how popular and high selling hockey computer and video games usually are. people want THAT kind of product and the NHL could give it if they werent so dang afraid of making decisions.

hockey needs to find its middle ground somwhere between the good ol boy network that they had and the MBA's who know nothing about hockey that they have.

honestly i dont think hockey is a hard sell per say, i just think that the powers that be don't know how to sell it.

the potential is there, but i dont see it coming to a fruition unless changes in the game take place. and those changes need to happen at the top.

the game survived 75 years before the people who were "gonna make it better" started whirling their magic wand.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-22-2004, 01:19 PM
  #21
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Slightly off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
i completely disagree...first off $91,000 isn't that much $$ for him. he makes $7.5 mil/year, he isn't going to cry for days over $91,000...

second and more important, the reason roenick was suspended and lost that $$ was because he flipped out over a non-call. so how can you say that he is mad about being suspended, when the tirades are what led to a suspension??

he is pissed because he got high sticked in the face like 5 times in a week and none of them got called and he lost it...

this picture of roenick's face that show the results of those uncalled high sticks tells why he is so pissed at the refs and the league:

But the Hockey News has a section called "separated at birth" and it has JR with this picture and a picture of Edward Scissorhands. It was classic!

Jackson Ranger is offline  
Old
01-22-2004, 03:24 PM
  #22
Terrier
Registered User
 
Terrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 2,577
vCash: 500
Good For Him!!

I'm happy as hell that someone like J.R. has decided to take Bettman to task. Roenick is right. The NHL was great until about 1996(I'll pick that year because it was a great playoff spring, i.e., Pens-Caps 4-OT classic), then all these podunk expansion teams like Nashville started to sprout. Cam Neely himself, on a recent Bruins post-game show, described hockey as "a regional sport". I live in a region(Greater Boston) where rinks are commonplace and every college and high school has a hockey team(we even have more than Minnesota), but it's different almost everywhere else. I'm fed up with Bettman trying to NBA-ize hockey. The results speak for themselves.


P.S. We highly recommend the weekly New England Hockey Journal radio show on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon. A good listen for any fan, especially in the East. Tune in online at http://www.1510thezone.com/

http://hockeyjournal.com/


Last edited by Terrier: 01-22-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Terrier is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.