HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ruff must go thread...

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

vCash: 500
The Official Ruff must go thread...

I am sorry, I have been a Ruff apologist for years. But...that is over. This team is lost and sinking fast.

I never was a firm believer in the 'losing the room' theory, but I think Ruff's treatment of Satan and non-treatment of Curtis Brown(what does this guy have to NOT do to find a spot in the pressbox) has had more of an impact on this team than any strategic decision he may have made.

While we are at it, it is time to eliminate alot of the old 'leadership' core of this team. I mean eliminating guys like Brown, Mckee maybe even Satan and if the deals right Zhitnik.

I might even advocate dumping the season for a shot at Alex O.

Maybe this is frustration talking, but .......Fire Ruff now.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:00 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

The only reason I'm not all over firing Ruff is that if he is fired tomorrow I expect his replacement would be Brian McCutcheon, Scott Arniel, Randy Cunneyworth, or Darcy Regier.

And I don't see any of those guys making a difference with this roster.

It's too bad that they were ownerless when Bob Hartley came on the market last year........

Old
01-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
The only reason I'm not all over firing Ruff is that if he is fired tomorrow I expect his replacement would be Brian McCutcheon, Scott Arniel, Randy Cunneyworth, or Darcy Regier.

And I don't see any of those guys making a difference with this roster.

It's too bad that they were ownerless when Bob Hartley came on the market last year........

I can agree with you on that point. Would a guy like Craig Ramsey be a difference maker?

Old
01-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Bill Stewart is a terrific coach, and a former Sabre to boot. Is he allowed back in the US yet?

Old
01-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Dale Hunter
I can agree with you on that point. Would a guy like Craig Ramsey be a difference maker?
He's definitely a guy to look at, but you'd have to wait until the offseason.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Kruschiki

Give the guy something to work with. Has anyone else noticed that while other teams get better, the sabres just tred water.

We have the early 90's Islander team on our hands...

Old
01-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Kruschiki

OK, how can you have respect for a guy that can't take responsibility for the loss last night:

Quote:

"Marginal tough calls when we were controlling the game," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "We tried to battle through that, but it caught up to us.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...21/1027832.asp

Old
01-21-2004, 11:13 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
The Lightning wouldn't let Craig go to replace Keenan in Florida. I doubt they'd let him go to come here.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:16 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

NO MORE EX-SABRES!!!!!!

Enough of that already.....Hire some winners not retreads!!!!!!

Old
01-21-2004, 11:16 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
OK, how can you have respect for a guy that can't take responsibility for the loss last night
I think the players might actually like a day off from having their coach calling them out in the media..........

It's a fine line to walk for a coach. If they call out players they can lose the room.

And they can also lose control of the team by being too lax.

Personally, I think the players respect Ruff, but he's been here too long and he doesn't fit well with the players that Regier has given him to work with.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:55 AM
djhn579

I've been thinking it was time for Ruff to go since before the start of the season, and while he has done somethings that I like in calling out players a bit more often, it's too little, too late. The unfortunate thing is that even if you get rid of Ruff, there are a lot of players that have been here under the laid back atmosphere that has existed the last several years. Ruff will need to go and then you will need to trade a large number of the players that have been here and underperforming. That's the only way to really change the lack of passion that we see today.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Yeah, I think it's time for Ruff to go, even though Regier saddled him with a sub-par defensive corps, IMO. Regardless of that and the very young goaltending this team has, it's simply too talented, especially up front, to be performing like this.

Maybe there is indeed some creedence to the stories of Ruff mishandling players like Woolley and McKee...

Old
01-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Takeo

WHY EXACTLY WERE WE SUCCESSFUL UNDER RUFF IN 1999?? AND WHAT'S CHANGED??

Old
01-21-2004, 01:05 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
I am sorry, I have been a Ruff apologist for years. But...that is over. This team is lost and sinking fast.

I never was a firm believer in the 'losing the room' theory, but I think Ruff's treatment of Satan and non-treatment of Curtis Brown(what does this guy have to NOT do to find a spot in the pressbox) has had more of an impact on this team than any strategic decision he may have made.

While we are at it, it is time to eliminate alot of the old 'leadership' core of this team. I mean eliminating guys like Brown, Mckee maybe even Satan and if the deals right Zhitnik.

I might even advocate dumping the season for a shot at Alex O.

Maybe this is frustration talking, but .......Fire Ruff now.
It is frustration talking. You could see good coaching last night, in that it was Ruff's breakdown of film that led the Sabres to be aggressive on the PK, and they got a few good scoring chances because of Kovalchuk having to play defense.

How can you on the one hand say Ruff should go, and then straight on to blaming the core of the team?

Old
01-21-2004, 01:08 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Yeah, I think it's time for Ruff to go, even though Regier saddled him with a sub-par defensive corps, IMO. Regardless of that and the very young goaltending this team has, it's simply too talented, especially up front, to be performing like this.

Maybe there is indeed some creedence to the stories of Ruff mishandling players like Woolley and McKee...
Too talented up front? Kotalik, Peters, Boulton, Botterill and Taylor were top 10 picks, right?

Ruff mishandling McKee? McKee's only other NHL coach was Nolan. McKee was in the pressbox under Nolan. He did nothing under Nolan. Ruff helped him develop.

Woolley? His career was resurrected by Ruff after coming over from Pittsburgh. His comments were nothing but sour grapes.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:11 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
WHY EXACTLY WERE WE SUCCESSFUL UNDER RUFF IN 1999?? AND WHAT'S CHANGED??
The goaltending. But that's not it entirely.

We actually had a defense. And our defense had 3 LD and 3 RD.

We had more team speed.

We had more team toughness.

Old
01-21-2004, 05:01 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Fire Ruff! Fire Rieger!

Old
01-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Tra La La

To late now. should have been done two years ago. This season is lost, there won't be an 04-05 season. Time to write it off and think Bills for the next 2 years.

Old
01-21-2004, 08:31 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Ruff is just so unmotivating it's sick. He just stands there. Does nothing. Makes bad line combonations, doesn't run a decent power play, and he won't take the heat for losses. I used to be a fan of him for a little while, but I'm so sick of watching him stand there and not do anything. I would love for someone with Mike Keenan's passion come in here.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
Time to write it off and think Bills for the next 2 years.
Is that supposed to comfort me??

I don't know which is worse!! :p

Old
01-22-2004, 06:41 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
Ruff is just so unmotivating it's sick. He just stands there. Does nothing.
I see Ruff yelling and screaming a lot. I don't know what your watching.

Quote:
Makes bad line combonations,
With this roster, coming up with good line combinations is easier said than done. At least he's kept the Hecht-Briere-Dumont line together than practically any unit since he's been here......

Quote:
doesn't run a decent power play
That has a lot more to do with the players he's been given, IMO. This team hasn't had a real PP QB defenseman since Ruff has been here. And rarely have they had a guy that was willing to go tot he front of the net and the talent to do something once he's there.

Quote:
and he won't take the heat for losses.
How many coaches come out after a loss and say that they were the reason the team lost?

Quote:
I used to be a fan of him for a little while, but I'm so sick of watching him stand there and not do anything.
If anything, I see a coach that is at his wit's end with the players he's been dealt. Ruff has been practically begging for guys like Satan and Pyatt to get traded for guys that will actually work hard.

Maybe Ruff should get put out of his misery here. But, I don't see making a change behind the bench helping that much.

Quote:
I would love for someone with Mike Keenan's passion come in here.
I think Keenan might help out a guy like Pyatt, but overall, I don't think Mike is the right fit for this team.

A guy like Marc Crawford or Bob Hartley would be a much better fit, IMO.

Old
01-22-2004, 10:05 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Ruff is just so unmotivating it's sick. He just stands there. Does nothing. Makes bad line combonations, doesn't run a decent power play, and he won't take the heat for losses. I used to be a fan of him for a little while, but I'm so sick of watching him stand there and not do anything. I would love for someone with Mike Keenan's passion come in here.
Mike Keenan's passion has led to ZERO winning seasons since 1995.

Every coach just stands there. Does nothing? Who told the Sabres to attack Kovalchuk when the Thrashers used him as a PP QB? Ruff.

Sabres special teams have been a net positive in Ruff's tenure - every year, except this one.

Bad line combinations? Like Hecht/Briere/Dumont?

The problem isn't the coach, it's the GM. Firing the coach will just delay the decision on what really needs fixing.

Old
01-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
What would you do if you were Golisano?

I'll try to look at this from an owners perspective, rather than as a fan.

If I fire Ruff and/or Regier, I'll still have to pay him and his replacement during the lockout. Therefore I'd want someone cheap and it's likely to be someone we already have under contract. Is this going to have that much of an impact with less than half a season to go? I really don't think so.

Is there a better man to represent the Sabres during the upcoming CBA negotiations than Darcy Regier? I don't know anyone who understands the CBA and it's impact on small market teams better than Regier.

Is there a better man to get fair value for assets than Regier at the trade deadline? Darcy may not be succeeding at building a team, but he may the best man for the job of tearing one apart and getting the best value for the pieces. There's going to be a salary cap, or there won't be a Buffalo Sabres. There's also going to be a lot of affordable free agents available in 2005 due to the cap. The fans are unhappy with this team. I want Regier to trim at least $10 million from the payroll at the trade deadline so we can be a player in the free agent market and bring in players the fans can get excited about. Say goodbye to Zhitnik, Satan, Biron and a lot of others.

A shakeup of management is in order, but the timing just isn't right for it. I hope Ruff and Regier can take advantage of the reprieve.

Old
01-22-2004, 10:25 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
A shakeup of management is in order, but the timing just isn't right for it. I hope Ruff and Regier can take advantage of the reprieve.
The right time to let them go was last offseason.

At least Ruff wouldn't have cost anything extra to replace then..........

Old
01-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I want Regier to trim at least $10 million from the payroll at the trade deadline so we can be a player in the free agent market and bring in players the fans can get excited about. Say goodbye to Zhitnik, Satan, Biron and a lot of others.
That sounds too good to be true. But Regier did steer in that direction last year and acquired some decent returns for Barnes, Gratton, and Varada...

Closed Thread