HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Highsticking change?

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 08:33 AM
balddog66

vCash: 500
NHL Highsticking change?

A biased leaf fan here, and I'm not saying that the leafs don't highstick opponents but this season the leafs have gotten more dangerous highsticks than I can remember in the past 20 years!
4-5 highsticks last night, one potentially serious one to Tucker, who, say what you will managed to get up and go after Blake...who did apologize after the game...clearly the stick missed Tuckers eye by less than half an inch...and he had to go to the hospital...
Obviously Nolans injury comes to mind and maybe leaf fans see it more because of what happened to Berard...but the NHL should do something about the lack of respect out there...I remember Jason Ward getting atleast 3 in one game against the leafs...one is an accident, two maybe but 3??? You're not playing the game the way you should...

Should the NHL give out and automatic 5 minute penalty for highsticks from the neck up? I think they should...this would elimate the discretion call of "accidents" and the stupid rule that if the player is bleeding it's 5 minutes, it could be a flesh wound and it's 5 minutes, or a broken jaw with no blood, 4 minutes....

Any other suggestions for keeping the sticks down???
Has anyone else noticed an increase in careless stick work?

Old
01-21-2004, 09:11 AM
bb_fan

how about one for a stick from the shoulder up?

How about 2 minutes for any time you hack slash whack or hook a guy with your stick?

Something needs to be done, the stick has gone from a tool to score goals to an extension of ones body.

If you cant keep up with the guy, just put your stick on him, around the waist, hip, and arm, what ever.

its ridicoulous.

Hal Gill's for a few games was using his stick when he got beat trying to pinch someone on the boards, instead of throwning a check, the forward is about to squeeze between him and the boards, so what did he do, put his stick on the boards and the player keeping him from going by, but not actually makin body contact.

And i have seen many other defensemen doing this.

When its gonna end and people are going to actually be forced to skate and check and work hard to win?

Old
01-21-2004, 09:28 AM
TheBigBadB

My theory is the fact that sticks are too light now, they get swung around rather easily...its becoming a problem..

I have noticed at least two to three high sticks a game now, and no penalties called..unless the guy goes down like he was shot with a gun..This needs to stop before someone gets seriously injuried...the players share blame in this and need to start watching thier sticks..because this is the worst of have seen high sticks in many years...

Old
01-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Mithras

1) All high sticking penalties (above the shoulders) should be a full 4 minutes regardless if the other team scores 1 goal, 5 goals, or no goals.

2) If player A is abreast of, or behind player B (who must be in forward motion) and lays the inside curve of the blade of his stick on any part of player B, at any time, that should be hooking and a two minute minor penalty.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
I would like to see the maximum fine giving out for $1000 for every high sticking penalty a player gets. You can argue that they won't care because they make to much already but when those add up in a season they way some of these morons are swinging there sticks they'll think about it a lot more before swinging the sticks around like a axes all damn game!

Old
01-21-2004, 11:14 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB
My theory is the fact that sticks are too light now, they get swung around rather easily...its becoming a problem..
Yeah I agree with this. Just in the past 3 years or so sticks have become so light that they barely feel like they have any weight at all, it's very easy to get careless with them.

If Im the NHL I seriously look at just outright banning the new composite sticks until the manufacturers can significantly improve the design. Perhaps a bit of an extreme response, but right there you've just solved three problems:

1. The massive increase in high-sticking
2. Sticks constantly shattering
3. The increase in the amount of injuries from blocked shots

Not only that but you diffuse the complaints from goaltenders about the amount of padding they require due to the velocity of most shooters in the game today, opening the door for stricter constraints on goalie equiptment.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Yotes03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithras

2) If player A is abreast of, or behind player B (who must be in forward motion) and lays the inside curve of the blade of his stick on any part of player B, at any time, that should be hooking and a two minute minor penalty.
This is seriously a great idea. Forget all of that obstruction crap. Just actually call a hook every single time one occurs. Not just when it takes them off their feet or during a scoring chance. This would, without a doubt, open it up more than any other rule change.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB
My theory is the fact that sticks are too light now, they get swung around rather easily...its becoming a problem.
I hadn't thought of that, but you're probably right. I'm a little tired of seeing guys getting broken orbital bones (which is painful as hell judging from the reaction of players it's happened to) and more serious injuries just from pure carelessness. Most of it is just carelessness IMO, as opposed to really trying to injure someone.

They had an interview with Jean Beliveau on here during the intermission of the Bolts-Habs game a few weeks ago, and when asked the first thing he'd change about the NHL now, he said that guys need to keep their sticks on the ice, he felt that using them to hook and getting them up high is causing a lot of unecessary injuries. Interesting that high sticks was the first thing that came up above any other problem.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
ban compisite sticks.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
1) All high sticking penalties (above the shoulders) should be a full 4 minutes regardless if the other team scores 1 goal, 5 goals, or no goals.
My idea was to make it a major 5 minute penalty, that way you dont have to create a new double minor where the player stays in the box.
Quote:
Isnt that whats supposed to be called now? Its just another example of the rules not being called as they should.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Slats432

I just thought of something.....when was the last time you saw Hooking called? Maybe I am missing something but it doesn't seem to be called very often.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Mithras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Isnt that whats supposed to be called now? Its just another example of the rules not being called as they should.
From the NHL Rule Book:

Hooking is the act of using the stick in a manner that enables a player to restrain an opponent.

(NOTE) When a player is checking another in such a way that there is only stick-to-stick contact, such action is not to be penalized as hooking.

(a) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who impedes the progress of an opponent by "hooking" with his stick.

(b) A major penalty and a game misconduct shall be imposed on any player who injures an opponent by "hooking." A player who has been assessed a major penalty and a game misconduct under this Rule shall be automatically fined one hundred dollars ($100).

"Hooking is the act of using the stick in a manner that enables a player to restrain an opponent." -- That's pretty vauge and useless terminology if you ask me. A player can hold you with his stick, interfere with you with his stick. Are these interference and holding penalties or Hooking?

I like mine better

"1) If player A is abreast of, or behind player B (who must be in forward motion) and lays the inside curve of the blade of his stick on any part of player B, at any time, it will be concidered Hooking and a two minute minor penalty will be given.

2) If player A lays his stick upon any part of player B's body or equipment and in doing so impedes the ability of player B to move upon the ice surface, it will be concidered Obstruction Hooking and a two minute minor penalty will be given."

Old
01-21-2004, 01:49 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
How about penalties called if you put the stick on the player or have your stick in the air regardless of outcome.

If you tug at an opposing player.........that's hooking. If you "ride" an opposing player...that's hooking. If you neutralize the opponents stick....that's not hooking.

Is there ever a need to have your stick in the air?

If the league would allow the offense to be the offense they wouldn't have to make stupid changes like 3 points for a win etc. You can't manufacture offense, but you can stifle it and that is what is happening.

If all the interference/obstruction is let go, why can't the offense kick the puck in or hand pass?

Old
01-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Troy McClure

The rules are in place now to stop this. But like the interference issues, the refs would have to call many, many penalties to make a point. High sticking, hooking, and slashing are already illegal. They just don't get called as frequently as they happen.

And I'm not blaming the refs, Van. I'm just saying they have the tools to make this a priority.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:32 PM
BruinsGirl

I agree with more harsh penalties for highstickers but....

what if a player (wishing to get 4-5 minute major PP) will lift stick of opposing team player on purpose? (kinda like hooking/diving)

Old
01-21-2004, 04:04 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
www.tsn.ca

Darcy Tucker had to have eye surgery. He is out indefinately due to a high stick, the second Leaf this season to have it happen to him. It's a joke, something has to be done, starting with the players.

Closed Thread