HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rumor/Proposal: Marian Hossa Available

Old
12-17-2007, 04:09 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Hossa is gonna run us 7-8 million himself at the very least if we sign him.
Agreed and I can live with that if Jagr is not on the team. Straka, Shanny and Malik are off of the books next year. It could work, despite resigning Henrik, Toots and Avery.

Quote:
Doan on the Yotes is producing like a 2nd line player. Who knows what types of numbers he puts up on a team that sports Gomez or Drury as his centers.
...and you stated that I was using FLAWED LOGIC when I wondered if Hossa would have better chemistry with Gomez, and then you make a similar claim??? Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Quote:
Historically who have been Doan's centers that he should have put up better numbers than he has?
I would have to look it up, but he's not a 1st line scorer. That much I know. When he's represented Canada, he's always been a 2nd or 3rd liner.

Quote:
And while he may not be the scorer that Hossa is (few are I agree) he's also better defensively, more physical and is that physical element that we do not have on our forward corps.
Agreed. I can't dispute that at all. I just prefer for this team to have a natural scorer somewhere in the top 6 and if you eliminate Shanny and Jagr next year, we will not have a legitimate one.

Quote:
I agree that Prucha and Callahan drive to the net, but neither are big enough to actually get there on a regular basis. Both are easily guided off tot eh sides and neither create the havoc needed for our other forwards to take advantage of.
Another viable point, however if Doan is on this team that is still their weakness as players. That's not going to magically change if Doan comes here (unless they're part of the deal, of course.)

Quote:
I'm not saying I don't want Hossa, I just think that if we are going to part with assets, we should be looking to change the look, feel and dynamics of the team. Hossa is just another perimeter scoring threat, I want muscle, drive and determination. Hossa is none of those.
No, but Doan is not a point per game player and once Shanny and Jagr are off of the team, there will be no such threat. I'm all for everyone contributing and getting balanced scoring from every line, but you also need a guy who can be counted on to put up points. It changes the way a coach juggles lines and matches up and can affect the outcome of the game. That and scoring ability equals gamebreakers. There are so few of those in the league. Doan is not among that group.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:10 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Everyone should ask themselves before they suggest a trade whether or not they might even consider the reverse. If it's a no go for you it's a no go for the other guys too.
Excellent advice, but this has been addressed by numerous people already. Please read through the entire thread before making the same point in a different way than other people have already made.

Old
12-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
While I've been against Hossa for a while, if he's available we need to pull the trigger now. Our offense needs help.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

A lot of these proposals are ignoring this key quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
"Marian Hossa... will be traded only if players come back who can help the team win this year, not prospects or picks."

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:41 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

No Brainer....

Hossa 4 Jagr... Sure... As long as we re-sign him to a multi year deal. Jagr is an old man who dosen't look like he cares any more. I know he does, but he dosen't look like it.
Then send or trade C. Drury to free up some $$$ to re sign Hossa.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
Hossa 4 Jagr... Sure... As long as we re-sign him to a multi year deal. Jagr is an old man who dosen't look like he cares any more. I know he does, but he dosen't look like it.
Then send or trade C. Drury to free up some $$$ to re sign Hossa.
Nobody will take his contract and we don't want him to go anywhere. Jagr would take off 4,3m if your deal was correct and we'd have to dump others such as Prucha/Malik/Mara, not Chris Drury.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Drury has a NMC on his deal, I believe. Doubt he waives it.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:50 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Drury has a NMC on his deal, I believe. Doubt he waives it.
me too, I don't think Drury is the prolbem.

This team is built though Jagr, its so strange, I mean there is no one stepping up right now, I think if thr PP lines where changed up we would click, adding Hossa isn't going to do anything.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 07:41 PM
DontStaal

the Thrashers would never do Jagr straight for Hossa.

We'd probably have to include a pick or some prospect to get a deal like that done. Jagr is old and will probably play 1 more year (he might even retire after this year).

Either way, i'd sign up for that right away. If Jagr doesn't pick up his play and his attitude, his days with the Rangers will be over soon i'd say.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Bretzky*

If Atlanta wanted to do Hossa for Jagr straight up, I don't think we can afford to pass it up.

Shanahan Gomez Hossa
Avery Drury Straka
Callahan Dubinsky Hossa
Orr Betts Prucha

Our line options increase because we don't have Jagr throwing off all the lines because our top 2 centers aren't allowed to be top 2 with Jagr here refusing to adapt to anyone else / the team's gameplan. It also allows Straka to get off the 1st line (he's clearly not a 1st line player anymore. (He can be if Jagr's on his game, but without that, he's purely a 2nd liner)

This is without a doubt, the best deal we could get for Jagr straight up. It's more than a good chance that Marian would re-sign here with Marcel on the team and a very strong core and great goaltender.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:00 PM
gmanwrx

minus jagr, think hossa would fit it our line up well.

dont think atlanta would do it.

trade jagr and malik for hossa and exelby...

just think the rangers could do withour jagr...

call me a hater, but jagr just isnt work out.

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwrx View Post
minus jagr, think hossa would fit it our line up well.

dont think atlanta would do it.

trade jagr and malik for hossa and exelby...

just think the rangers could do withour jagr...

call me a hater, but jagr just isnt work out.
I'll stop being a Ranger fan the day he's in our sweater.

Old
12-17-2007, 10:15 PM
gmanwrx

u say that now, i bet u would have said the same thing about gomez coming to the rangers also...

its about what will help the rangers as a team, not on how jagr to tell jagr to tuck in his panties cause i cant play with this one or that one.. come on...

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:19 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't see why the Thrashers would want Jagr.
For starters Jagr torched them in the playoffs last year while Hossa managed 1 assist the whole series. They are looking to trade Hossa because he hasn't proven much in the playoffs - I think it's safe to say that Jagr is an upgrade there.

I'm a split decision on this one - this team's chemistry just aint right at the moment and doing this may make sense.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD View Post
For starters Jagr torched them in the playoffs last year while Hossa managed 1 assist the whole series. They are looking to trade Hossa because he hasn't proven much in the playoffs - I think it's safe to say that Jagr is an upgrade there.

I'm a split decision on this one - this team's chemistry just aint right at the moment and doing this may make sense.
I think it was more of our entire team dominating their team, not so much Hossa being invisible. Kovalchuk didn't do anything in those four games either except take penalties on Avery, and he's still a top 5 player in the league.

In response to the previous post about Exelby, I'd take him in a heartbeat if we could get him for a reasonable price.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:32 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Agreed and I can live with that if Jagr is not on the team. Straka, Shanny and Malik are off of the books next year. It could work, despite resigning Henrik, Toots and Avery.

...and you stated that I was using FLAWED LOGIC when I wondered if Hossa would have better chemistry with Gomez, and then you make a similar claim??? Seems a little hypocritical to me.

I would have to look it up, but he's not a 1st line scorer. That much I know. When he's represented Canada, he's always been a 2nd or 3rd liner.

Agreed. I can't dispute that at all. I just prefer for this team to have a natural scorer somewhere in the top 6 and if you eliminate Shanny and Jagr next year, we will not have a legitimate one.

Another viable point, however if Doan is on this team that is still their weakness as players. That's not going to magically change if Doan comes here (unless they're part of the deal, of course.)

No, but Doan is not a point per game player and once Shanny and Jagr are off of the team, there will be no such threat. I'm all for everyone contributing and getting balanced scoring from every line, but you also need a guy who can be counted on to put up points. It changes the way a coach juggles lines and matches up and can affect the outcome of the game. That and scoring ability equals gamebreakers. There are so few of those in the league. Doan is not among that group.
Avery is right, Doan is overrated. I would not want doan. Most id offer is Malik and that is it. Id rather trade for Boynton or Morris than Doan. Avery and Doan has alot of bad blood in the past.

Rangers get Morris
Yotes get Prucha, Malik and 2ed in 08

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:58 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Unless Waddel changes his mind and doesn't want just players that will help his team this season, I don't see there being a match between the Rangers and Atlanta for a trade. Atlanta will not want any of the Rangers older players (Jagr/Straka/Shanny) or more expensive players (Drury/Gomez). If they were willing to take a more expensive player, why wouldn't they just re-sign Hossa at that amount that Drury and Gomez make?

The first player Atlanta would ask for in return is Staal. The Rangers, ofcoarse, would be retarded to give him up. Trade talks break down right there between the Rangers and Atlanta regarding Hossa. Unless Waddel changes his trade demands, there just isn't a match for a trade between the Rangers and Atlanta.

If Waddel did change his mind and would take prospects in return, he will more than likely want to start the trade discussions with Chereponov and build on top of him.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:32 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

I dont want him to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Nobody will take his contract and we don't want him to go anywhere. Jagr would take off 4,3m if your deal was correct and we'd have to dump others such as Prucha/Malik/Mara, not Chris Drury.
I want him here 2, after this December not 2 remember we will ride the Jagr wave right into the playoffs! I hope!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:41 AM
dynamoovechkin

Don't see how Hossa solves our lineup chemistry problem. Also, in case you haven't noticed, Atlanta ain't dead yet.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 06:23 AM
chosen

Quote:
Excellent advice, but this has been addressed by numerous people already. Please read through the entire thread before making the same point in a different way than other people have already made.
Yes, I must take advice from someone whose logic runs along the lines of 'Jagr was good two years ago so he has something in the tank'.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwrx View Post

u say that now, i bet u would have said the same thing about gomez coming to the rangers also...

its about what will help the rangers as a team, not on how jagr to tell jagr to tuck in his panties cause i cant play with this one or that one.. come on...
No. I never said that about Gomez, infact I barely followed Gomez's career at all, so when I found out that he was a Ranger, I did a background check on him.

Exelby...however, is someone that you will not want to see in a Ranger sweater, he's a dirty player, (and not just for the times we've played Atlanta this season) he's someone you can really say is a cowardly and not to mention, bad defenseman, who hits dirty.

Old
12-18-2007, 08:44 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
No. I never said that about Gomez, infact I barely followed Gomez's career at all, so when I found out that he was a Ranger, I did a background check on him.

Exelby...however, is someone that you will not want to see in a Ranger sweater, he's a dirty player, (and not just for the times we've played Atlanta this season) he's someone you can really say is a cowardly and not to mention, bad defenseman, who hits dirty.
Fans will accept any player previously deemed dirty when he arrives. Avery is the most hated man in the game yet when he came here he switched from being dirty to colorful. It's just the way it works.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 08:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD View Post

So because Jagr played well against them they will want to trade for him? What about the fact he is a month away from being 36? What about the fact that he is having a bad season? What about the fact that he seemingly can only play with one center in the NHL? So they will trade a guy who right now is better than Jagr for Jagr? When there is also the chance that Jagr might be a UFA at the end of THIS season as well?

12-18-2007, 08:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
A lot of these proposals are ignoring this key quote.
I get that quote. But doesn't Hossa give them a better chance at success this season than Jagr?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Yes, I must take advice from someone whose logic runs along the lines of 'Jagr was good two years ago so he has something in the tank'.
Jeez... So, clearly you decide to pick on the easiest comment to try and needle me into an argument. First and foremost, those were not my words. Don't try to use your peabrain to come up with your own conclusions on what I said. I'll elaborate on my point for you...

Jaromir Jagr is so good that he can be having an awful season, yet still post 22 points in 30 games. He had 14 more points than games played last season and it was considered a down year. The guy can flat out play, even at 35. He's struggled to find chemistry this season with the new additions at center and he's had a 22 year old (Dubinsky) who averaged a little over a half a point per game in the AHL last season as his center and Marcel Hossa as his left wing for 15 games.

If he's so good, then why do I want to get rid of him? I don't necessarily. I just think the team chemistry is off with the new centers and we need to get away from having the power play go through him for 90 seconds at a clip. If Hossa is being moved and Atlanta wants help for now, there is potential for a fit.

I forgot how assinine people are on message boards, so from now on I'll write long winded answers to avoid having clowns like this try to pick apart a benign comment and form their own inaccurate conclusions.