HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

nash and Kovalchuk

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
nash and Kovalchuk

that is the complete list of nhl players who are younger than Raffi Torres and have more goals than him so far this season. I think that is pretty good company.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
that is the complete list of nhl players who are younger than Raffi Torres and have more goals than him so far this season. I think that is pretty good company.

Really? Whoa.

It goes to show what not being afraid to shoot the puck or go to the net can do for a young player, even if his talent level isn't among the elite.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:31 PM
barto

I was just thinking about this the other day - coming into this season, Lowe and MacT were saying that Torres has some offensive skills and could surprise people with his goal-scoring potential. I'm not sure either of them expected him to do this well in his first season here, but obviously we're happy he has or we'd be in even more trouble!

thumbs up to Lowe for making the deal. Niinimaa was just about my favorite player, but now I understand (or appreciate) more what Lowe was doing on this one. And hey, Izzy's playing fairly well lately, too, which doesn't hurt.

Bart

Old
01-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

that's ok i guess. He can do better still. Still two guys on that list...

What did Lowe know about Torres?

Old
01-21-2004, 04:12 PM
oilswell

Quote:

I just had a glance at the goal scoring leaders. What a weird season.
Code:
G   RNK  NAME
20    9  Nagy
19   15  Draper
14   52  Petrovicky
13   63  Messier
11   77  Thornton
11   78  Bertuzzi
11   94  Fata
10  100  Forsberg
10  101  Kovalev
10  110  Hemsky
10  115  Daigle
 9  150  Carter (snicker)
 9  151  Moreau
 9  154  Modano
I can tell you I wouldn't have predicted Messier to be scoring more goals than Thornton or Bertuzzi at this stage of the season. Yeah, Thornton's doing well on the assists but that guy should be scoring some goals, don't ya think? There's some interesting characters in Fata and Daigle there. And somehow it just seems funny that at the halfway point Moreau is sitting at the same number of goals as Carter and Modano.

I'm not sure what explains it. Certainly the defensive systems styles are hurting goal scoring. And some guys like Draper are having career seasons while other guys like Modano are struggling. In past seasons people suggested that because of the way the league refuses to call interference only the guys who can fight through traffic and the guys who can avoid traffic will score. Looking down the list, it seems like a pretty decent theory, but it doesn't really explain why Bertuzzi and Modano are so low and others like Draper are so high.

It seems a little out of the ordinary to me, although I don't really watch this stuff. Could someone who watches this stuff (poolies?) comment?

Old
01-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Mr Sakich

Mad Mike Strikes Again

despite playing hurt, in 11 fewer games, Brad Isbister has more even strength goals than Todd Bertuzzi. Without Naslund setting him up on the powerplay, Todd isn't as big a goal scorer as the Mighty Brad. Overall, Brad is only 4 goals behind Todd.

Old
01-21-2004, 06:12 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Mad Mike Strikes Again

despite playing hurt, in 11 fewer games, Brad Isbister has more even strength goals than Todd Bertuzzi. Without Naslund setting him up on the powerplay, Todd isn't as big a goal scorer as the Mighty Brad. Overall, Brad is only 4 goals behind Todd.
and bert is being shipped off to the all star game. he's turned from phat last year to just fat this year; why is going to the all star game again?

Old
01-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Mr Sakich

I would bet that burke would do an izzy for bert trade right about now. Lowe, pick up the phone.

Closed Thread