HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr looks "downright unhappy" with Gomez on his line, Valiquette could start v. Pens

Old
12-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the statement should be that Prucha has been useless. If you're going to get few points from a third liner, you'd hope to get something else, perhaps maybe a physical presence, a cycling presence, or something.
Yep. Semi-physical presence, but when your hit just as much by not paying attention, it doesn't help much.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 07:44 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
CALL MONTOYA UP for christ's sake
Done:

12/17/2007 Al Montoya (G) Hartford DEL Recalled from loan by NY Rangers (NHL)

http://stats.theahl.com/hm/transacti...&f_team_id=307

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
squishy

And for the record, this is another thread with a totally misleading headline. Nothing in Sam's, Zipay's or Dellapina's stories suggests Jagr's "downright unhappy" about having Gomez on his line, which is what the subject line suggests. In fact, the quote "downright unhappy" isn't even a correct quote.

Old
12-17-2007, 07:56 PM
mrv52

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
And for the record, this is another thread with a totally misleading headline. Nothing in Sam's, Zipay's or Dellapina's stories suggests Jagr's "downright unhappy" about having Gomez on his line, which is what the subject line suggests. In fact, the quote "downright unhappy" isn't even a correct quote.
disconsolate \dis-KON-suh-lut\, adjective:
1. Being beyond consolation; deeply dejected and dispirited; hopelessly sad; filled with grief; as, "a bereaved and disconsolate parent."
2. Inspiring dejection; saddening; cheerless; as, "the disconsolate darkness of the winter nights."

mrv52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 08:31 PM
gregk

Drury, Drury, Drury

I'm a Sabres fan and I have been following Chris Drury as a Ranger and maybe I can shed some light on what is going on after watching him for two+ years. I feel compelled to say something after reading this thread, so I hope you guys won't see this as an invasion, but as more info for a good discussion.

Chris Drury is very good at being in the right place at the right time, but the right time was always created for him in Buffalo by physical wingers that could keep the puck down low and get it into the area in front of the net. Think Zubrus, Gaustad, Kotalik, guys that play physical down low and can control the puck along the boards and in the corners. IIRC, so many of his goals were from swatting in a rebound as it bounced around in the slot. Also, 20 of his 37 goals last year were on special teams (17PP, 3SH), again banging in a lot of rebounds (Remember game 5).

He's not a playmaker, only had 32 asissts last year. Chris was a great fit in Buffalo and he did very well there not because of his skills, but because the people around him complemented him and they looked to him as a leader, someone to show the way and keep things on track in the locker room. When Gaustad and Kotalik were hurt last year, Chris struggled a bit. When Zubrus showed up and played with him, Chris really picked up.

I don't see the situation in NY with the Rangers as being one that fits his profile, at least with the current players on the roster, just like Calgary wasn't. Calgary traded him to Buffalo because he just didn't fit in and underachieved. Unfortunately, I think that both Chris Drury and Glen Sather started believing the myth of Chris Drury that was created in the media. He's not a franchise guy like Crosby, Lecavalier or Patrick Kane are, he doesn't have the talent. I wasn't shocked that he left town, but I was shocked that he signed with the NYR, as guys like Jagr are antithesis to what Chris is about. Remember, Chris was the guy that ran Miro Satan out of town for taking shifts off and generally having a whiny, poor and lazy attitiude.

Anyway, carry on.

gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 08:40 PM
TheHotRock

greg, you want him back? I'll take a 4th rounder. Thanks

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 08:47 PM
gregk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
greg, you want him back? I'll take a 4th rounder. Thanks
No thanks, not at $7 Million. After a slow start we're doing just fine without him.

gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 08:57 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv52 View Post
disconsolate \dis-KON-suh-lut\, adjective:
1. Being beyond consolation; deeply dejected and dispirited; hopelessly sad; filled with grief; as, "a bereaved and disconsolate parent."
2. Inspiring dejection; saddening; cheerless; as, "the disconsolate darkness of the winter nights."
I know what the word means, thanks. I also know what quotation marks mean, and "downright unhappy" is not a direct quote and therefore should not appear in quotes.

Old
12-17-2007, 09:12 PM
mrv52

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I know what the word means, thanks. I also know what quotation marks mean, and "downright unhappy" is not a direct quote and therefore should not appear in quotes.

It is a blog. Take it for what it's worth.

That said, it is an opinion based on Jagr's personality.

mrv52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 09:53 PM
gmanwrx

just tried of hearing about jagr..

jagr can make one ass. in a game and that is all u hear about, how great jagr is

but yet gomez, shanny or drury will play awesome but all u hear about is jagr..

time to realize it's not about jagr.. Its about the rangers.....

Trading jagr is not the worst thing to do....

or is it just me or is jagrs line is need to be changed.

if he wants to be talked about put up some # in the score sheets.. instead of whinning...

Last edited by gmanwrx: 12-17-2007 at 10:10 PM.
gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 03:32 AM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwrx View Post

jagr can make one ass. in a game and that is all u hear about, how great jagr is

if he wants to be talked about put up some # in the score sheets.. instead of whinning...
Post of the year.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm ready to unload Jagr for a physical forward.

Let's do it.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 01:54 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwrx View Post

Gomez and Shanahan have been so-so, Drury has been FAR from awesome... actually, Matt Cullen did a better job than he has so far... why trade Jagr, to get a soft borderline top six player (NO ONE would pay more) and have Jagr suddenly resurrect with a different team -- which would probably happen? Who can we switch on his line? Dubinsky is who he looked better, and they were comically inadequate, as opposed to unspeakably atrocious (like he and Gomez were).

Maybe Jagr isn't giving his all... he said something to the affect of, "I hope fans understand that I will put up less points now that we have Gomez and Drury." That was during training camp. To me, that's almost like saying, "I'm not going to try as hard this season."

I think we've allowed our lineup to get too young too fast... we need a 30-year-old top-six guy who can shoot and adapt. It's a shame it has to be that way; I have never heard of any perrson(s) so knowledgeable and prolific in their professions that they can't work with others... I know I'd get fired if I said something like that. "Oh, it's a chemistry issue," gimme a break. If Jagr, Shanahan, Gomez, Drury and Straka are motivated, they'll find a way to co-operate. Avery doesn't have trouble doing it. Staal has been very solid despite having had 3 different partners already.

If this team doesn't make a miraculous 180 in their attitude, we'll fall out of playoff contention fast.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:08 PM
pruuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
I'm ready to unload Jagr for a physical forward.

Let's do it.
Good thing we dont have a bearing on the team. In a few weeks all the players we are looking at saying they suck will be playing better and all the trades people wish for will be forgotten....I hope

pruuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruuu View Post
Good thing we dont have a bearing on the team. In a few weeks all the players we are looking at saying they suck will be playing better and all the trades people wish for will be forgotten....I hope
I agree that a few wins will help this team and it's morale. That said, it has to be a concern that seemingly our superstar wing can't find anyone on this team he can play with.

12-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I agree that a few wins will help this team and it's morale. That said, it has to be a concern that seemingly our superstar wing can't find anyone on this team he can play with.
Just a little bit of a problem that our European Superstar, Captain, and most productive Euro, doesn't like to play with anyone but Straka.

But all the trade Jagr proposals are out of line...

I really don't see how they're out of line, I'm all for having things work themselves out with time and not trading Jagr, but if the right proposal came up, like I said before.... there I go.......

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:33 PM
gmanwrx

I really don't see how they're out of line, I'm all for having things work themselves out with time and not trading Jagr, but if the right proposal came up, like I said before.... there I go.......[/QUOTE]

i'm just tried of all the BS that is always around jagr....i know he is the captain, then lets set sail and get to the top of our game, instead of all this whinning, i cant play with this one or that one...

even if we traded jagr with still have how many all-stars or shall i say super-star...

somebody is being the bad seed..

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:37 PM
TheHotRock

i dont know about you guys, but i really feel that by having jags on this team in its current incarnation, its preventing us from finding our true identity as a team. does that make sense to anyone else?

jagr/straka to chicago for seabrook? would they do it? any capologists wanna help me out here?

Old
12-18-2007, 03:07 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
You don't need to be an expert, think about it... the immediate value of that deal would favor Chicago by a mile.

BUT...

Jagr and Straka are both 35, while Seabrook is, what, 23? They MIGHT consider it at the trade deadline if they were like 5th in the West and Jagr and Straka each had 80 pts (not gonna happen).

And why do we want Seabrook? Staal is a more talented version of him, Tyutin and Girardi have tremendous potential... then there's Sauer, Sanguinetti, Potter... to a lesser extent Baranka and Liffiton. If you ask me, I'd rather be a team that wins 6-5, not 2-1.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
You don't need to be an expert, think about it... the immediate value of that deal would favor Chicago by a mile.

BUT...

Jagr and Straka are both 35, while Seabrook is, what, 23? They MIGHT consider it at the trade deadline if they were like 5th in the West and Jagr and Straka each had 80 pts (not gonna happen).

And why do we want Seabrook? Staal is a more talented version of him, Tyutin and Girardi have tremendous potential... then there's Sauer, Sanguinetti, Potter... to a lesser extent Baranka and Liffiton. If you ask me, I'd rather be a team that wins 6-5, not 2-1.
we like dmen whose names start w/ an S. There really is not point in that trade.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 03:20 PM
TheHotRock

I'd rather be the team that wins 2-1, that team usually does better in the playoffs.

If it was up to me, I'd build this team around young stud defensemen and our superstar Goalie. We wouldn't be letting up a lot of goals if Staal, Seabrook, Toots and Girardi are in front of Henrik for the next 10 years.

Old
12-18-2007, 03:27 PM
dre2112

Jagr needs to grow the f--- up and play hockey like the way he knows how. He doesn't like his linemates, fine, but that's no excuse to dog it. Jagr has enough talent to make his linemates better.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
I'd rather be the team that wins 2-1, that team usually does better in the playoffs.

If it was up to me, I'd build this team around young stud defensemen and our superstar Goalie. We wouldn't be letting up a lot of goals if Staal, Seabrook, Toots and Girardi are in front of Henrik for the next 10 years.
And I don't agree that the team that wins 2-1 does better in the playoffs. Look at Detroit during their cup years, Colorado their cup year, Anaheim last year. Teams that win about 4-2 usually. Heck Buffalo was doing great until they met up w/ Ottawa who could score also alot and play just a tad bit better defensively. You need a good balance of offense and defense to be succesful. Look no further than the wild or even the devils recent playoffs. They can't score and never advance as far as they like.

You already have Staal, Toots, Girardi, Sangs, Sauer and maybe even Baranka. Where would you like Seabrook to play. Plus they will be hitting RFA/UFA at the same time. If we trade Jagr we need to get some forwards who can score. You aren't going to win games 2-1 all the time.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 04:23 PM
TheHotRock

sauer and baranka project to be third pairing guys. toots and girardi dont look like they will ever devlop into top pairing guys...but seabrook, he has a good chance to do that. plus, we get a nice building block and open up cap space that we can use to find gomez a linemate who can skate with him (huselius, anyone?), and maybe we can package sangs for another guy who could play with gomez (cheechoo anyone?).

don't mean to go all mad scientist on y'all, but this season is not the one that concerns me, i've kinda given up on it as i don't believe we have a chance in hell of getting out of the 2nd round.

Old
12-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Fletch

Greg...

thanks for the insight...in other words, pair him with Shanny and Avery or Hossa and he would be successful in NY. Makes perfect sense. Perhaps Renney should be watching tapes of Buffalo to see what made Drury successful; see how many minutes he played, in what situations, with whom and in what roles. Sounds simple, but it seems as though certain coaches don't play these guys in roles in which they were successful prior to coming to New York.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote