HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alzner and Doughty?

Old
12-17-2007, 01:06 PM
hyperboy

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to hyperboy
Alzner and Doughty?

just outta curiousty would you guys draft Doughty over stamkos cause then you'd have 2 great D prospects with great chemistry together that can "make magic"?

hyperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboy View Post
just outta curiousty would you guys draft Doughty over stamkos cause then you'd have 2 great D prospects with great chemistry together that can "make magic"?
I don't think we'll finish bottom 5 at the end of the year. But hopefully we could pull another magical ball out of the hat and move up.

My personal wish is for either Stamkos or Beach. We have many D prospects and our elite forward prospects are non-existent and our good forward prospects are dwindling over time.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Too many damn top picks spent on D already. Bring on the gritty forward, Beach.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
CapGoodie

Personally no. Alzner should be just as terrific a fit with Mike Green in the future as he is with Doughty. Green and Doughty have a lot of similarities to their game, and the Caps could really use one more impact, sure-fire top line player up front.

Not that I'd have a problem drafting Doughty, he's an incredible prospect and any team would be foolish not to draft who they see as the BPA, but I personally would take Stamkos over him if I had the choice. This is one rare occassion when the Caps could be swayed a little by organizational needs and not just go blindly on the BPA - even though all things being equal I personally prefer Stamkos over Doughty as prospect anyway.

Alzner-Green are going to be one incredible d-pairing one day.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking

vCash: 50
Agree with CapGoodie's thoughts. Green brings many similar qualities as Doughty and there's no need to bypass taking the BPA just because of their chemistry in international junior tournaments (which may not necessarily carry over to play at the NHL level).

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:26 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
i don't think it's a bad idea. we could always trade off other d prospects to get some top forward prospects and a tandem of Alzner and Doughty would be pretty incredible to have i'd be all for the opportunity to seize both.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:37 PM
The Viking Fury

Beach!

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:40 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
BPA always. The caps D prospect is really high atm so with the D heavy top 10 in this 2008 draft I'm personally all that excited about being in the top 5 unless the caps somehow ended up with the first pick and could land Stamkos. Beach would be great also..he might slide into the 6-10 range. The WJCs should help see the quality of some of the 08 prospects.

12-17-2007, 01:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
BPA always. The caps D prospect is really high atm so with the D heavy top 10 in this 2008 draft I'm personally all that excited about being in the top 5 unless the caps somehow ended up with the first pick and could land Stamkos. Beach would be great also..he might slide into the 6-10 range. The WJCs should help see the quality of some of the 08 prospects.

Agreed...BPA is ALWAYS the way to go. Start drafting for positional needs and you're playing with fire.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Gumby

We're overloaded with offensive d-men. If we went with a D-man in this draft it should be a gritty stay-at-home type (though watching Doughty at the super series I was pretty much blown away).

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:59 PM
PSUhockey34

outside of Green and Alzner, Doughty is still better then any D prospect we have in the system so I'd take him...but like others have said, BPA is the way to go

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 12:43 PM
hyperboy

Send a message via MSN to hyperboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
outside of Green and Alzner, Doughty is still better then any D prospect we have in the system so I'd take him
yea and not offense here but your weak d core coulduse guys like Doughty, Alzner, Green because in the past couple of years it has been realatively weak

hyperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Jasper17

I am for taking another defensman high in this draft if the Caps get the chance. The Caps have taken a lot of defensman over the years in the 1st rd, but only one (Alzner) did they use a real high pick on.

I think the Caps can use another top D prospect. Then they can use all those 2nd rd picks they have to start building the forward depth.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Foy

I'm hoping that none of the guys you are talking about are available by the time we draft.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 01:26 PM
txpd

I wonder why so many think the Caps D core is weak? The play doesnt back that up.
The team is currently tied for 12th in shots against and the PK ranks 3rd in the league since the coaching change.

The goals against can be attributed to a 13% drop in save percentage and have still dropped nearly a goal from last season's GAA.

The Caps have the youngest defense in the NHL. They have three recent first round draft choices dressing every night. Green 27:23, Morrisonn 22:25, and Schultz 17:23 vs Detroit last night. In addition they have a first round pick on the scratch sheet each night(Eminger), A first round pick in Hershey(Pokulok) and in Jr.(Alzner).
They also have Lepisto and McNeill who could be expected to play in the NHL.

I just dont get why people think the Caps are hurting on Defense.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Trade up and get Stamkos.

Who needs 8 billion picks, 8 billion prospects. Get the stud.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I wonder why so many think the Caps D core is weak? The play doesnt back that up.
Name recognition. Conventional wisdom.

Its performance over the past few years is pretty irrelevant. Half of the D over that span are either sitting in the press box or no longer on the team. Right now, they're primarily a young group which should only continue to improve. Green and Morrisonn are being heavily relied upon under Boudreau. Schultz is playing on the PK and seems to be making some modest strides, though he's still a bit of a project. Alzner will be coming along soon enough. Toss in Poti and Pothier to the mix and the biggest need going forward is likely a big shot-blocking stay-at-home guy. Maybe Schultz can develop into that type of defenseman but he's going to have to get quicker and more agile. Perhaps Finley or Ruth in due time.

From the '08 draft, Schenn or Teubert would fill that role. Pietrangelo seems to be a little closer to that style of defenseman, albeit with a strong offensive game as well. For that reason I'd probably take Pietrangelo over Doughty at this point, though there are valid arguments for both of them. Doughty is more of an electric player but Pietrangelo is very steady. He's similar to Alzner in terms of his maturity and poise, though with a bit more offense and physicality thrown in.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The team is currently tied for 12th in shots against and the PK ranks 3rd in the league since the coaching change.

The goals against can be attributed to a 13% drop in save percentage and have still dropped nearly a goal from last season's GAA.

The Caps have the youngest defense in the NHL. They have three recent first round draft choices dressing every night. Green 27:23, Morrisonn 22:25, and Schultz 17:23 vs Detroit last night. In addition they have a first round pick on the scratch sheet each night(Eminger), A first round pick in Hershey(Pokulok) and in Jr.(Alzner).
They also have Lepisto and McNeill who could be expected to play in the NHL.

I just dont get why people think the Caps are hurting on Defense.

People don't follow the Caps except for Ovechkin. The only d-men we have that other people recognize are Poti and Pothier. Pothier was a 6 before coming here, and Poti was considered a defensive liability in Manhattan and Edmonton. NYI fans didn't get a big chance to know him. "I don't know who any of those guys is, therefore they suck." It's the same type of thinking that leads people to call this a team of "Ovechkin and a bunch of AHLers."

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:26 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
December ISS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11183&hubname=

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
i've noticed we don't have enough russian forwards on this team. Filatov FTW!

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 08:28 AM
dbui72

Yes, enough D prospects.

We are going to need some legit top line talent offensive, because we cannot keep AO, Semin, Backstrom, and all the other 1st rounders.

I think if we are a deep talented team then we will go further than a few highly skilled forward with a bunch of above average or mediocre players.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote