HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Very greatful and special thanks to the Flyers

Old
12-17-2007, 09:23 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Very greatful and special thanks to the Flyers

Ok, it has been a real rough week for me and I have been very inactive on HF so I am glad I am back. Here is the story. Well I am 18 years and have followed the Flyers since the Lindros days. I live about 5 minutes from the Skate Zone so I have seen my fair share of Flyers practices and such. On December 7th, I came down with some really bad neck pain and excrutiating headaches, so my mom rushed me to Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia. I was shivering and holding my head in the emergency part of the hospital and finally a doctor saw me. Soon enough I would go through hell in the first few hours I was there. The doctor told me I would need to do a spinal tap, and for those of you who have had it or know what it is, it is not very pleasant and I wouldnt recommend it. Turns out my white blood count was really high so they immediately admitted me into the hospital and found out I came down with meningitis. The first 2 days I spent almost all my time knocked out, sleeping so I cant really say how I felt at that time. The next couple days I came in and out of consciousness but I was feeling much better except for a few headaches, and also I threw up for the first time in 10 years, not like you guys care but just thought I would share. Well the day the Flyers played the Penguins, I didnt realize we had signal in the hospital for the game so I would tell me sister, who is also a huge Flyers fan and a Sidney Crosby fan, to go into the other room where the computer was to check the score every so often. Good thing it turned out to be an 8-2 win which I was really happy about because I hate the Penguins. The next day, the hospitals teacher came in to go over Hamlet with me but it was no use because I really dont like Shakespeare. However, it was a good thing that she came in because my mom left the room and just so happened to see 5 guys in Flyers uniforms and told the guy who runs everything if they could stop by my room. She signed a paper, and then they started walking to my room. They opened the door and I was just shocked. It may not have been the players I wanted to see but they were Flyers players nonetheless. The first guy that came in was Knuble then Hatcher, then Kapanen, then Smith, then Coburn, then a bunch of news cameras that I really didnt care for. But I am sure my face was priceless. They started to introduce themselves in that order and when it got to Dan Smith, I just told them, there is no need to introduce yourselves because I already know all of you. I was just shocked to see them. They gave me a blanket, a Briere bobblehead, and some little kids activity book that they all signed. We got into some small talk and I told them I was glad they kicked the crap outta the Penguins. Coburn was the only guy who was wondering why I was reading Hamlet as a senior in highschool which I thought was kinda amusing in a way. I wanted to tell them so much more, for example, to Sami I wanted to say when Forsberg was here that he shouldve been captain instead. To Smith I wanted to say he was a good choice for captain. To KNuble I wanted to say I love the way he plays hard. To Coburn I wanted to say I was glad that he signed for 2 years because I see a lot of talent coming outta him. And to Hatcher I wanted to say, Hatcher, I hate you, you suck ass and we shouldve traded you whenever we could. (Not what I really wouldve said, but what I wanted to). But talk was short and they had to go to other rooms so we wrapped it up and I was greatful. I stayed in the hospital a few more days and every night I was thinking about writing a letter to either Ed Snider of Paul Holmgren to thank them for letting the players come in and I lost a lot of sleep wondering how I should write the letter. Right now I am even surprised how I wrote all this because my eyes start to hurt and I get headaches when I am in front of the computer for a while, but I think this needs to be said so thats why I am writing it. I finally got home today and I thought this would be a great story to tell you guys and I really cant thank the hospital care and the Flyers enough for making me feel at home. I will probably take another week off to recover to full potential so I can hang out with people over Christmas break. I plan to start writing a letter to the Flyers real soon and I was wondering if any of you knew the address that I could send it to that would give the best chance that either Holmgren or Snider would read it. If anyone knows, that would be greatly appreciated and you can feel free to PM whenever you would like. So this is a very very very big THANK YOU to the Flyers organization for surprising the crap outta me and taking the time to make a kids dream come true to see some Flyers players and getting a chance to talk to them. So to the flyers THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 09:36 PM
vtec5600*

Great story, makes you happy to be a hockey fan (not that other sports players don't do this type of thing), but my mom has worked in hospitals for years now and i constantly have heard about the flyers going and doing these exact types of things now for kids and its always great to hear.
Hope you recover well in time for the holidays too

vtec5600* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Hockey players always seem to be the best to their fans. I'm glad you got to see them, even though it wasn't under the best circumstances.

Hang in there, my hubby had meningitis when he was a kid and pulled through it fine. It sounds like the worst is behind you -- at least I hope so.

Get better soon!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:13 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Thanks for sharing your story, JT.

I'm sure the players get a lot out of visiting hospitals, but writing to the Flyers to let them know how much it meant to you is a terrific idea. My best guess is to address the letter to the director of public relations with the Flyers.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Take care of yourself, and get well soon!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Lab Monkey

As a fellow survivor of meningitis I can only wish you the best. Stay strong.

LOL Wish i got to meet some Flyers when i had it... mind u i was 2

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:28 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
I love these feelgood stories. I'm pretty sure I posted one a while back in regards to what ex-Phillies player Gary Maddox did for me when I was like 7 years old. One of the most memorable nights of my life. You'll remember it forever JT. 20 years later I still do.

EDIT: I found the story. When I wrote it I completely butchered his name. I had spelled it Gary Maddux when it should have been Garry Maddox. Type in the first spelling into google and it's the 2nd link down the page. An old blog I created on a fantasy sports site I used to be part of. JT, read it and tell me if it equates to how you felt.

Last edited by markzab: 12-17-2007 at 10:39 PM.
markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:53 PM
keybumpsnbigdumps*

nice story.

cheers, mate. get well. write that letter to homer.

Philadelphia Flyers
3601 South Broad St.
Philadelphia, PA 19148

keybumpsnbigdumps* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 11:41 PM
flyersfan97

Aw, John, I have tears in my mind. First and foremost for your health--these stories are always crappy especially this time of year. I hope you continue to improve. And as a teacher, I feel it is my responsibility to tell you to tell your teacher to nix the Shakespeare. Unless you are going to be an English teacher/professor, there is no need for it in the real world.

Second, what a great story about the Flyers. I think you should write a letter to the Flyers. You did a fabulous job here because you spoke from the heart. Just do the same and I'm sure the end result will be perfect.

GodSpeed John. Get well soon and keep us posted on how you are making out.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 11:45 PM
ki11joy

Ouch, you got a lumbar puncture, eh? Guessing the spinal fluid came out cloudy. Meningitis isn't the type of disease I'd choose for meeting the Flyers either.

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 12:36 AM
flyguy1234*

Great story, man....wish you the best....and don't make fun of Derian! He's a penalty killing machine...

Last edited by flyguy1234*: 12-18-2007 at 12:50 AM.
flyguy1234* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 12:45 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 436
Most importantly, all the best luck to you. Be grateful to have supportive people in your life. I wish you nothing but the best.

Most definitely, contact the Flyers. The Flyers have a rich history of community service and a legacy that rivals any highlighted by the Flyers' Wives Charities.

I am sure the organization receives many letters such as the one you posted here but the members of the team's executive staff and those who directly work with team personnel and players would be delighted to know they cheered a person like you.

If you write the Flyers, address the envelope to COMMUNITY RELATIONS because that is my assumption as to whom would be in charge of such activities. Writing Ed Snider or even Homer is a good start, too.

The positive energy you exude will defeat anything that gets in your way.

As far as Shakespeare, a better race horse than writer (a joke to GKJ).

12-18-2007, 02:08 AM
CantSeeColors

It's late and I'm a little out of it right now, so I'm going to keep it short, but it's nice to hear you're pulling through it. Good luck with the rest of the healing process.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Raffl House

Good luck, man. I spent a few days in the hospital a few months ago myself, so I know its not fun at all...at least you got some Flyers coming around to visit...all I got were lots of doctors and old nurses

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 03:53 AM
Yoshimitsu

but teh flyerz r evil!!!111

Nice story, good that you're doing better.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Great story.
Get well!

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 01:10 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I love these feelgood stories. I'm pretty sure I posted one a while back in regards to what ex-Phillies player Gary Maddox did for me when I was like 7 years old. One of the most memorable nights of my life. You'll remember it forever JT. 20 years later I still do.

EDIT: I found the story. When I wrote it I completely butchered his name. I had spelled it Gary Maddux when it should have been Garry Maddox. Type in the first spelling into google and it's the 2nd link down the page. An old blog I created on a fantasy sports site I used to be part of. JT, read it and tell me if it equates to how you felt.
For some reason I think I have heard that story before but in terms of how I felt, it was almost exactly like that. I think I heard it on 610WIP if I remember correctly and I think Glen Macnow either read it or talked about it. So I think I will probably start writing it today, but unfortunately my guidance counselor has asked for all my teachers to come to my house to tutor me on what I missed so that may take some time outta the letter process. Thanks for wishing me the best of luck and I should come out of it just fine. I didnt want to make this a "feel bad for me" story and more of the "make you feel good story" and I think thats what I did. Makes me feel good that people are taking it that way.

Old
12-18-2007, 01:49 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

nice story.
hope you are feeling better.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
PodesforPrez

So glad to hear you are doing well. And thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTavares09 View Post
And to Hatcher I wanted to say, Hatcher, I hate you, you suck ass and we shouldve traded you whenever we could. (Not what I really wouldve said, but what I wanted to).
And it's great to see that your sense of humor is still intact!

PodesforPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Whynks

Steve Downie sent them.

Whynks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
markzab

Quote:
For some reason I think I have heard that story before but in terms of how I felt, it was almost exactly like that. I think I heard it on 610WIP if I remember correctly and I think Glen Macnow either read it or talked about it. So I think I will probably start writing it today, but unfortunately my guidance counselor has asked for all my teachers to come to my house to tutor me on what I missed so that may take some time outta the letter process. Thanks for wishing me the best of luck and I should come out of it just fine. I didnt want to make this a "feel bad for me" story and more of the "make you feel good story" and I think thats what I did. Makes me feel good that people are taking it that way.
He talked about my story???

Or the Flyers visiting you?

Old
12-18-2007, 08:03 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
He talked about my story???

Or the Flyers visiting you?
Now that I think about it, I remember clearly him telling the story on the air. I used to be a huge Macnow fan and I am almost positive he told the story on the air because I remember hearing this same story before.

Old
12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
markzab

Quote:
Now that I think about it, I remember clearly him telling the story on the air. I used to be a huge Macnow fan and I am almost positive he told the story on the air because I remember hearing this same story before.
Wow, that's friggin cool. I never knew. I always hoped that Maddox would somehow get to read that story. Maybe he did.

Old
12-18-2007, 08:38 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Awesome story dude.

Get well soon.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
mongolman

That's great that they would take time out to do something like that. Good story. Hope you're feeling better soon.

mongolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 01:06 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Great story. Everyone before me has said pretty much what I would say. Hope you're back on your feet soon. Happy Holidays.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote