HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Frozen Feet

Old
12-16-2007, 06:34 PM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
Frozen Feet

Anyone have a problem with their feet being ice cubes after playing?

I only notice at this one rink I play at that my toes get so cold that it becomes painful afterwards. I've tried wearing 2 layers of socks and it helps some. I know I am not tying my skates too tight because the other 3 rinks I play at my feet are fine. Is this one rink too cold or something, do I just need to wear thermal socks?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
I've never had this problem, but a buddy of mine did. I never told him this, but I suspected it could have been that he wasn't moving his feet enough (he was still learning to skate). Are you fairly stationary a lot of the time? Cuz I would think moving a lot would generate enough heat.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 08:19 PM
EmptyNetter

Don't rule out tight laces. You need to make sure you're getting enough circulation to your feet. Maybe you're getting just enough for the warmer rinks but it's a problem in colder rinks? Like the last poster mentioned, make sure you keep your feet moving on the ice and stay hydrated. Hands and feet are hardest to keep warm in the cold because they're furthest from the heart. The more your legs move the more blood you get to your feet and the warmer they'll be.

What are you wearing for socks? I'm guessing cotton tube socks since you're doubling them up. Try a single layer of nylon stocking instead. Cotton, when wet, gets cold and holds that cold close to your skin. In addition to the cold it can lead to blisters. Nylon retains some heat and wicks the moisture away from your skin.

Lastly, consider getting a nylon cap to wear under your helmet. You tend to lose a lot of body heat from the top of your head. The cap will help retain some of that heat. Funny, I'm always trying to keep cool and have tried pouring water through the top of my helmet.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 09:02 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
I'm not sure about skating, but this is problem is more common in skiing and snowboarding. So you'll want to do the same thing a skiier does to keep the toes warm, I'm pretty sure the answer though is thermal socks.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Waltah*

ill tell you one thing, my feet have been sore as hell (although im a newbie)....i guess there is a certain way to lace and put on your skate. i just popped em on and tied em up. never thought of it.

/rant

p.s. - B Ranford

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:41 AM
OilerNut*

Heh could be im just not skating hard enough out there. The group is full of hotdogs and I have just about had it with them, usually end up watching the play as they try to deak out 4 guys on the other team. Played tonight at a different rink, had no problem. Thanks for the tips!

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 03:01 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

If you want to try a different sock then do so, but don't double up on socks since it'll just make your skate fit poorly. I'm told it also tends to trap moisture, which ultimately makes your feet colder.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:54 AM
leftofcenter

It happens all the time for different reasons. I used to play in really cold place where the arena wasn't heated at all (natural ice). My feet were always like that - sometimes so cold it reminded me of being a kid during those outdoor games where you had to go in the shack and take off your skates to warm your feet up between periods (does anyone remember this as a kid?). Nothing like frozen feet unthawing - ow

Anyway, I still get the cold feet - I'm playing at a pretty cold German arena in Osnabrueck and same old problem. One thing is that my feet are always sweating (even in shoes) so the moisture in my skate boots is probably contributing to it. I just grin and bear it - you're playing hockey aren't you?

leftofcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Semper Sens

Some people swear by putting baby powder on your feet, under your socks, to keep your feet from getting wet.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Jeffw-13

Our rink is brutally cold and after a practice (I'm coach) my toes are borderline frostbitten. I've had good luck using toe warmers that stick on the bottom of your sock under your toes. They have a chemical in them that gets warm when exposed to air. I get them in the hunting dept at Wal Mart.

I've used them in games but don't usually have the cold toes problem because I'm skating more. The sweat doesn't seem to have any adverse affect on them.

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here's another approach: Do you dry out your skates before wearing them? How about the socks?

Back when I first stated playing, I only played outside. I would leave my skates in the car all the time and they never dried out or warmed up. So my feet would get very cold.

When I started playing indoors, I would bring my skates inside after playing to dry them out. Only time I had an issue was if I had socks that were slightly wet.

Now I wear dry socks and use dry, warm skates, and have no issues.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Anyone have a problem with their feet being ice cubes after playing?

I only notice at this one rink I play at that my toes get so cold that it becomes painful afterwards. I've tried wearing 2 layers of socks and it helps some. I know I am not tying my skates too tight because the other 3 rinks I play at my feet are fine. Is this one rink too cold or something, do I just need to wear thermal socks?

Back in 1977, we took a team from Houston, TX to play in Chicago, IL in a tournament during the dead of winter. All the kids feet hurt because they were so cold, that they couldn't play there game the way they were use too.

The other team just kicked our a**. After the game, we asked them how do we over come the pain in our feet with such cold. It felt like needles on our feet.

They told us...baby powder! This keeps your feet from sweating, which keeps your feet dry, which keeps them from getting cold. It's worked ever since. Go figure!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 11:31 PM
XweekendwarriorX

just put a foot warmer in the front of your skate if you get to cold i did a few times when i was a kid.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 04:42 AM
Gallick

Cotton socks are the death knoll for warm feet because they get soaked so easily. Go with nylon socks if you can. Also, make sure your skates are totally dry before the game--take them inside and flip them upside down on the heat register if you can.

Apparently baby powder is a miracle solution as well though I've never used it myself.

Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote