HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is this the climax of the season

Old
12-18-2007, 10:15 PM
NHLhockey1234

vCash: 500
Is this the climax of the season

This is the team I longed to see. A nice high scoring game. A shutout. A fantastic first line with a +6 Rating (I don't like +/- in terms of predictability, but +6 is pretty darn high).

Dubinsky still is playing strong on the third line, and that's his strong point, he's just got to invigorate the other youths on his line to contribute, strong skating!

Dawes, couple of good chances, saw a side of him that I never saw before, he was fiesty and hitting people hard on the boards, even got Crosbinator a little rattled.

Drury and Gomer were worth their money today and I was waiting for this all along. If anyone even thinks about changing the first line they better watch out, because you'll get a flogging from me.

Defense=excellent.Staal made some good plays, Girardi, Strudwick, and Rosival was on his offensive and defensive game. 4th line was fiesty.

On top of it, Renney looked pissed and serious all along and gave some extra emotion tonight, all the way to the end, even though we were obliterating them. Please, please continue this in the long stretch.

Now I can rest in peace and study for my MCAT's and then watch them stroll quickly into the playoffs! Let's keep the momentum

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:35 PM
broadwayblue

Nice effort. Pittsburgh was apparently roughed up by the flu, but a very nice win nonetheless.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:39 PM
beastly115

Once Avery comes back the 2nd line will be much better. Right now it's lacking someone who can carry the puck and set up plays. Avery is perfect for that line.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:40 PM
ThirdEye

I don't think today was a very good test

If they can keep this up against Minnesota and Ottawa then we have something. This team has just been way too inconsistent this season for us to say anything definite right now

Sorry to be pessimistic. I'll be happy if we can maintain at least a .500 or better winning percentage until the all-star break.

Basically the potential is there, but we need to see a little more

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I don't think today was a very good test

If they can keep this up against Minnesota and Ottawa then we have something. This team has just been way too inconsistent this season for us to say anything definite right now

Sorry to be pessimistic. I'll be happy if we can maintain at least a .500 or better winning percentage until the all-star break.

Basically the potential is there, but we need to see a little more
Agreed, happy - but not convinced yet.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:46 PM
TheHotRock

its one game against a team that looked like total crap.

but we played well, it was a solid effort.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Once Avery comes back the 2nd line will be much better. Right now it's lacking someone who can carry the puck and set up plays. Avery is perfect for that line.
Maybe so...but I'm still not sold on Avery as a 2nd liner. To me he's a great 3rd, and a marginal 2nd.

Old
12-18-2007, 10:54 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I missed most of the game...

Gomez centered Straka and Jagr? The line that I've been calling for all year? Hopefully these guys develop some chemistry, and keep the momentum going. This is the line I've envisioned tearing up the league since July 1st.

I wanted to watch Rangers in 60... but I missed almost all of that as well...

Not a good night for me, all-around.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Maybe so...but I'm still not sold on Avery as a 2nd liner. To me he's a great 3rd, and a marginal 2nd.
Yeah, Hossa fits that spot much better.

Old
12-18-2007, 10:58 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It was against a team that wasn't at full strength. Sure they had Crosby, Staal, and Malkin, but they had an AHL goalie and lots of players who aren't regulars. I think the next two games will be the true judgement to see if they are finally waking up or if this was a fluke win.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 11:14 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Yeah, Hossa fits that spot much better.
I don't recall mentioning Hossa. And come to think of it, I don't believe Hossa was on the 2nd line tonight.

Old
12-18-2007, 11:50 PM
DimaNYR

Climax of the season I'd consider the final game of the finals... not a mid-season game that ended a losing streak (look at their record this month)... So, no - it is not the climax of anything.

Good game nonetheless.

LGR

DimaNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
I'm no Avery groupie, but the guy can play...he instantly makes that second line better. His puck possession, transition speed, physicality, with skill make an irreplaceable package.

He's one of those players who you just shouldn't say great x line, marginal x line.

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 12:16 AM
NYR Viper

i think these lines would make the team a lot better:

jagr-gomez-straka
avery-drury-shanahan
dawes-dubinsky-callahan
hossa-betts-prucha/hollweg

of course once we make the playoffs because we will need orr for the rest of the regular season

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 12:23 AM
NYR Viper

the rangers as a team are fighting the flu as well........so i would say its fair

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 12:36 AM
gilles lupien

i have to say... shanahan's not doing it for me. he doesn't have the legs. there were a few times tonite where he either had to double back cos he couldn't even try to beat the defence or a pass he couldn't get to, or a race for the puck where he'd give up...i respect him but he's getting old for the rangers style of play now. sure he's got experience but i think we need legs, power, do-or-die agressive play more than we need an experienced vet who's somewhat limited in all around ability.

gilles lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles lupien View Post
i have to say... shanahan's not doing it for me. he doesn't have the legs. there were a few times tonite where he either had to double back cos he couldn't even try to beat the defence or a pass he couldn't get to, or a race for the puck where he'd give up...i respect him but he's getting old for the rangers style of play now. sure he's got experience but i think we need legs, power, do-or-die agressive play more than we need an experienced vet who's somewhat limited in all around ability.
Totally disagree. Once we're in the offensive zone, Shanny is the best player on the team at getting to the right spot at the right time. He reads the game so so well. He's an above average penalty killer and his release and accuracy are still near the top of the league. He's not as fast as he once was, but he's not really slow. Malik is slow. There are much slower players all around the league. He can be trusted in all three zones and rarely turns the puck over without being forced. He's one of the guys I want out there when the game is on the line. Either winning by 1 or losing by 1, or tied, he's one of the 5 or 6 players I'd be putting out there in the final minute. Shanny is a proven big-game player.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 03:46 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
I love Avery but I'll agree with that.

In a perfect world, Avery would be on the 3rd line and he would be awesome. But worlds arent perfect, so...................

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

It's definitely not the Climax, and it wasn't that good of a game for Jagr, he set some things up obviously and was +2 but I'd say it was for average for the big man.

It seemed like he gave it away all the time and 75% of his shots went wide, but regardless....

I disagree about all this "Pens were dogging it" bullcrap, we simply outplayed them by a wide wide margin and I'm not convinced that we're back to our 10-2 streak of hockey, but I am definitely convinced that we absolutely dominated this game, and this would of been the same mindset had it been any other team, (except Detroit..)

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 07:38 AM
smetana

I definitely have to give props to the Rags last night for a well-played game.

One of the worst, most uninspired efforts I've seen recently from the Pens. Flu or no flu, our team needs to mail-order about 20 sets of testicles.

Bunch of flippin' Vaginas is putting it nicely.

BTW, what's up with Jags? He hasn't looked like himself at all from what I've seen this year.

smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 08:29 AM
beastly115

Quote:
I don't recall mentioning Hossa. And come to think of it, I don't believe Hossa was on the 2nd line tonight.
Hossa was on the 2nd line before Renney switched them up for last night. You're saying to keep Dawes on the 2nd and Hossa on the 3rd?

Old
12-19-2007, 08:31 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by smetana View Post
I definitely have to give props to the Rags last night for a well-played game.

One of the worst, most uninspired efforts I've seen recently from the Pens. Flu or no flu, our team needs to mail-order about 20 sets of testicles.

Bunch of flippin' Vaginas is putting it nicely.

BTW, what's up with Jags? He hasn't looked like himself at all from what I've seen this year.
Jagr has been slumping. He hasn't found chemistry with any of our centers and hasn't been able to get anything going for himself.

Old
12-20-2007, 09:17 PM
NHLhockey1234

I have bad karma. There isn't going to be a climax of a season +5 goals right now for Gaborik. I'm about to curl up and cry in my closet.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 09:26 PM
icehock288

jynx

yea seriously, talk about a jynx. What is the deal with this game, naturally gaborik is unbelievable, but please, where is the discipline and pk?

icehock288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 09:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

This team as of right now is an 8th place team at best. They better hope they get their **** together for the 2nd half. Need our boy Avery back, as sad as it sounds, he's the team.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote