HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Questions

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 01:53 PM
smnhppu

vCash: 500
Playoff Questions

Let's face it, we're all thinking playoffs right now. If you look at the picture as it's shaping up right now, I think there are 4 major contenders in the East

Ottawa
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Toronto

either of which could end up atop the conference, and then you have to figure on the top team in the Southeast Division (either Atlanta or T-Bay). After that, The two other (major) possible contenders are Boston and Montreal, before a tight race for 8th.

Now, I'm a huge Habs fan, and loved the result of yesterday's game, but I have a few questions to throw out there - should the Habs and Bruins be included with those 4 major contenders? Can the Habs win best of seven series against each of these team?

Old
01-21-2004, 02:07 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnhppu
Let's face it, we're all thinking playoffs right now. If you look at the picture as it's shaping up right now, I think there are 4 major contenders in the East

Ottawa
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Toronto

either of which could end up atop the conference, and then you have to figure on the top team in the Southeast Division (either Atlanta or T-Bay). After that, The two other (major) possible contenders are Boston and Montreal, before a tight race for 8th.

Now, I'm a huge Habs fan, and loved the result of yesterday's game, but I have a few questions to throw out there - should the Habs and Bruins be included with those 4 major contenders? Can the Habs win best of seven series against each of these team?
It's the playoffs, anything can happen. Theo is good enough to carry the team all the way by himself if he gets hot...

Old
01-21-2004, 02:28 PM
8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
It's the playoffs, anything can happen. Theo is good enough to carry the team all the way by himself if he gets hot...
Theo have done huge things 2 years ago carying the team in playoff alone and did very well this season too but this year he is not alone. The system seems to be better, defense and attack have improved, some rookies got more experiences. The habs are bigger-better-stronger as the coaching staff and direction staff.

And in playoff everything may happen, that`s true...

Go habs Go, grab #25!!

Old
01-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnhppu
We're still not in the same class as Jersey, Ottawa, Jersey (TO I'm not so sure about) and I don't think we should be considered a major contender. We still haven't sealed a playoff spot, and I think most around here would still consider the season a success if we squeaked in for 8th.

But can we win in the playoffs? Definately. The team we have right now is a good candidate for a playoff run. We play solid team defence, the special teams are great, and have arguably the best tender in the league. That's how both Minny and espeically Anaheim won last year and how Jersey does it every year.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Honestly, the only two teams I fear meeting in the East are Ottawa and New Jersey. Ottawa because of their overall depth and Jersey because of Brodeur. I think with a hot goalie in the playoffs, anything's possible. Does that mean I think we can beat all these teams 10/10 times? Hell no. But we only have to beat them 4 out of 7

Old
01-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Habfansincebirth

Any year the Habs make the playoffs, you must give them stronger consideration for the cup than their record indicates simply because they are the Montreal Canadiens. They have done it many times before when they were the underdog. 1993, 1986 and 1971 we won when we were not supposed to.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:49 PM
smnhppu

What I like most is our depth: while teams like T.O., Philly and even NJ flounder with key injuries, we have guys that can step up in every role. Koivu falls, Ribs and Perreault step up. Juneau goes down, Begin comes in. Markov has a rough time, every other D steps up, and Koivu pitches in on the PP.

Our depth used to be our weakness, now it's turned into a strength. Granted, those other teams have suffered greater losses than we have, but the point remains, we have overcome.

On the other hand what bothers me is how we do when we fall behind in a game. A strong team must be able to come back from behind, do we have that?

Old
01-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Netro

The way I look at, the Devils and Sens are still the class of the East. I anticipate that by season's end the Eastern Conference will look like:

1. Ottawa
2. Devils
3. TB (due to div leader)
4. Flyers
5. Leafs
6. Bruins
7. Habs
8. Isles

Anything can happen in a 7 game series, especially with a hot goalie, but I still think you will see a rematch of the Devils vs. Sens for the right to play for the cup. These are the 2 major contenders with the Flyers a notch below the Sens/Devils and then the Leafs a notch below the Flyers. The rest of the teams are then pretty much the same level.

Let's hope the Habs find a way to finish in position #6....

Old
01-21-2004, 03:00 PM
habsfan19

anything can happen is right, just look what Theo did against the Bruins a few years ago, so #8 could upset #1,etc....
I like the Habs' chance this year as long as they keep playing like they've been playing since Christmas or even before that

Theo has that capability of stealing games so that's a bonus for us

As for the major contenders in the east, Ottawa and the Devils
Devils always keep winning doing it quietly(we don't hear about them too much)
The Sens are playing better and will only get better
Leafs have a shot I suppose (don't like their D though)
as for the Flyers, I say if they don't get a goalie, it will kill them once again

Old
01-21-2004, 03:10 PM
BlueBlood17

This is my first time venturing into "enemy territory" on these boards, but I just thought that this thread was interesting.

I have really been surprised by the Habs play of late, and want to thank you guys for taking care of those Flyers for us last night, cuz lord knows we can't do it.

Anyway, you guys would be best off to hover around the 6th spot and hope for a matchup with the Southeast "champ" (if they even deserve a title). Like most people said, the only gap in the east is just after the "big four" in TO, Philly, Jersey and the Sens. That's not to say you guys couldn't beat any of the top 4, but thanks to the retarted seeding, 2 of the top 4 will have to beat each other up in Round 1.

I think you guys match up well against Philly. Whereas the biggest knock on your forwards is lack of size, the Philly defence is somewhat "immobile", and speedier forwards can cause them problems. It's the same reason the Leafs don't match up well with the Flyers....we have a soft D and rugged forwards, where as they have rugged D AND rugged forwards, creating a mismatch. With you guys, your speedier forwards can cause their D problems while it will be up to your D and Theo to contain their forwards.

Ultimate scenario in my opinion for the Habs (even though my ultimate scenario would be for you guys to miss the playoffs --hehe sorry), would be:

1. Philadelphia
2. Toronto
3. Tampa Bay
4. Ottawa
5. New Jersey
6. Montreal
7. Boston
8. Isles/Rangers?

Anyway, you guys could get by Tampa, and barring any other lower seeds winning, play the Flyers (whom will probably face a tough rival in that 8 spot) whom I think you guys could beat, with a huge advantage in goal. If the Leafs take care of their end, then the stars may be aligned for a dream Conference Final.......Leafs/Habs..heheh OK I'll stop before I get too excited...it is only January for pete's sake. That would be fantastic for hockey.

Geez, I wrote a whole lot more than I intended to...but anyway, maybe I'll come in here more often.

Closed Thread