HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

current stats for deadline deal goalies

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
current stats for deadline deal goalies

There seems to be three names commonly mentioned as the goalies most likely to be moved at the deadline this year : Kabby, Burke, and Salo. I thought it would be interesting to see how they are doing lately as their performance in the first month of the season is virtually meaningless when a GM is planning a playoff run. Some guys are playing better, some worse. Here is their records for the last 10 games:

Burke - 3-5-2, 2.3gaa, 0.926 sv%
Kabby- 2-6-2, 2.6gaa, 0.898sv%
Salo - 5-4-1, 1.6gaa, 0.933sv%

As for their contract status, Burke has 1 year guarantteed at 4.25 mill, Kabby has 6.5 mill guarantteed for next year while the oilers have club options on salo for the next two years at 4.0 mill. Obviously, Salo has the most flexible contract as teams prepare for the consequences of the next cba.

Both Burke and Khabibulan have been delegated to back-up status on their teams while Salo has emerged from an early season slump (caused by a maritial issue that came to a head in September) to be the clear number one in Edmonton.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:29 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

You could probably throw Manny Fernandez's name into the mix also, if we don't start winning some games.

Old
01-20-2004, 11:44 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Fernandez is gone EVEN if we start winning. I don't know why but I feel like Fernandez isn't going to see another year as a Wild player.

Old
01-20-2004, 02:29 PM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Fernandez is gone EVEN if we start winning. I don't know why but I feel like Fernandez isn't going to see another year as a Wild player.

I think your right TSK. With Harding doing well, there is no need to have both Roli and Manny. I think Doug with wait a little while though for a desperate playoff team to make some outragous deal. I agree though that he'll be gone. Unless "Uncle Lemaire" pulls some strings and keeps him on the team. Which I doubt will happen...

Old
01-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Spiffy

vCash:
Who will take over in oiltown if Salo is dealt?

Old
01-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Cariboux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Who will take over in oiltown if Salo is dealt?
They already have Conklin and if the feel they don't have a shot for the playoffs, they'l consider than JDD is ready for next year

Old
01-20-2004, 02:58 PM
degroat*

Is 'Kabby' supposed to be the goaltender that's typically known as 'Khabby'?

Old
01-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Malefic74

If I'm loading up for the playoffs I'd take a pass on Salo. Playoff record is pretty poor and his tendency to let the occasional softie get by him would turn me off too.

Seems to me there are probably a few more names to add to your list though:

Marty Biron: Goalie logjam in Buffalo and he looks to be the odd man out.

Byron Dafoe: This is a little more tricky as Hurme still has a wonky back and Nurminen has been less than stellar, but for the right deal I think Dafoe could be had.

Roman Turek: Not sure when he's due back but it's pretty obvious he isn't needed in Calgary anymore. Big contract though.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Mr Sakich

degroat, 5000 posts and you are a grammer nazi, eek

as for biron, turek, and dafoe, I think they are the only 3 nhl goalies having a worse year than salo. Unlike tommy, they have not turned anything around.

As for tommy's weak playoff performances, the oilres always get the priveledge of playing a very strong Dallas Star team. Nobody blames our exits on Salo.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich

Both Burke and Khabibulan have been delegated to back-up status on their teams .
That is false.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:42 PM
ceber

Fernandez has a 2.05 GAA and save % of .929 in his last 10, I believe. Not sure how likely he is to be traded, but there's been talk about it from the fans and media. I think he'd make a pretty solid insurance goalie going into the playoffs. Not sure how much anyone wants to pay for an insurance goalie, though. He's on a 1 year deal worth 2.2 million.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Kabby has 6.5 mill guarantteed for next year
No, it's a club option

and like Degroat says, you need an H in there

Old
01-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Mr Sakich

it looks like kHabby will be a ufa next year if it takes 6.5 mill to retain him. In todays' NHL, that is way too much.

BTW, Salo got another shutout tonight and it lowers his gaa to 1.4 in the last 10 games. 2 years ago, the oilers were 2nd in the league in gaa despite having the 2nd youngest team. Salo was the reason as he played very well and many people thought he was a top 5 goalie. He may be returning to that form.

Kelly Hrudey has an interesting theory on Salo. He said that all great goalies (Roy, Belfor etc) struggled as they turned 30 because their reflexes slowed down. They had to re-learn their game to keep their status. They had to focus more on fundamentals and positioning. He said that Salo was going through this with goaltending coach Pete Peters and was emerging from his learning curve.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:56 PM
MoS*

khabibulin and salo have great value attached but burke imo is getting more worthless by the second, if you disequate the fact that deadline is approaching.

burke, as good as he is, is absolutely unproven in the playoffs. at his age, i don't see why teams would have him as a primary option. simply put, there are goalies who handle the heat well and those who don't. burke, may or may not, be a playoff star but at this point, at his age and expense, no team would gamble any value in investing in him

salo on the other hand is doing horribly so his current value is lower than his natural value. but among many of the so-called "avaialble" goalies on the market. i would take his world championship (olympics '94) experience over guys like burke or khabibulin or theodore or aebisher or cloutier or turco for that matter. experience is vital and i believe that salo can win someone a cup (note that only 3-4 active goalies right now in the league have won cups)

Old
01-21-2004, 12:12 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
it looks like kHabby will be a ufa next year if it takes 6.5 mill to retain him..
If Tampa makes it into the playoffs (which requires, IMO, retaining Khabi past the trade deadline), they're going to have to bite the bullet. Losing him for nothing would be the worst of all possible worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
i would take his world championship (olympics '94) experience over guys like burke or khabibulin or theodore or aebisher or cloutier or turco for that matter. experience is vital and i believe that salo can win someone a cup (note that only 3-4 active goalies right now in the league have won cups)
You are forgetting Khabi's stellar performance in the last Olympics? He was the best player on that team IMO. I'd think that counts for international experience.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:26 AM
MoS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
If Tampa makes it into the playoffs (which requires, IMO, retaining Khabi past the trade deadline), they're going to have to bite the bullet. Losing him for nothing would be the worst of all possible worlds.

You are forgetting Khabi's stellar performance in the last Olympics? He was the best player on that team IMO. I'd think that counts for international experience.
international experience is one thing but can his wins redress the fact that he didn't win the championship? can it silence the critics who will pick apart his imperfections? khabibulin is a top 3 goalie in the league but during the playoffs, when not a single min of a single game is to disposal, fundamentally, everyone would rather have a proven brodeur. i'm not being antagonistical towards khabibulin or anything. it is quite apparent he is an able goalie and will prove himself playoff worthy as the situation unfolds.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
international experience is one thing but can his wins redress the fact that he didn't win the championship? can it silence the critics who will pick apart his imperfections? khabibulin is a top 3 goalie in the league but during the playoffs, when not a single min of a single game is to disposal, fundamentally, everyone would rather have a proven brodeur. i'm not being antagonistical towards khabibulin or anything. it is quite apparent he is an able goalie and will prove himself playoff worthy as the situation unfolds.
Well, I think so too. Just thought I'd bring up his international experience since you mentioned it for Salo but not Khabi. I know which one was better in the more recent Olympics. Not to mention, the Russian team in front of Khabi didn't play all that well IMO, he carried them, it wasn't his fault he couldn't carry them all the way.

NOTHING silences people who want to criticize Khabibulin, or anyone else they really don't like, in my experience. If someone's looking for things to pick on, they'll always find something.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:31 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
salo on the other hand is doing horribly so his current value is lower than his natural value.
Well, I can be as hard on Salo as the next guy, but I fail to see how Salo is doing horribly.

Last six games:

.964 SP, .833 GAA, 3 SO

Old
01-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Mr Sakich

as of today, their last 10 looks like:

Burke - 3-5-2, 2.3gaa, 0.926 sv%
Kabby- 2-6-2, 2.6gaa, 0.898sv%
Salo - 6-3-1, 1.4gaa, 0.937sv%

Old
01-21-2004, 04:13 PM
MoS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Well, I can be as hard on Salo as the next guy, but I fail to see how Salo is doing horribly.

Last six games:

.964 SP, .833 GAA, 3 SO

he is doing horribly.

i have no idea why you think his last week encapsulates his present value

in 28 games. he has 11 wins, 12 losses and 4 ties.

his save percentage is 0.899 that is the 3rd WORST among all starters in the nhl this year, that is if you consider guys like leighton and caron starters. if you do, then salo would be the 3rd worst. if you don't, then salo would be the worst.

and his gaa of 2.46 is also in the lower echleon of the league.

i have no idea why you can't justify that from 1 week's play, he is suddenly a star goalie again

Old
01-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
he is doing horribly.

i have no idea why you think his last week encapsulates his present value

in 28 games. he has 11 wins, 12 losses and 4 ties.

his save percentage is 0.899 that is the 3rd WORST among all starters in the nhl this year, that is if you consider guys like leighton and caron starters. if you do, then salo would be the 3rd worst. if you don't, then salo would be the worst.

and his gaa of 2.46 is also in the lower echleon of the league.

i have no idea why you can't justify that from 1 week's play, he is suddenly a star goalie again

Wow, you're right, he's only played well for the last week...... I just wonder how they managed to play 16 games in 7 days.....

Salo struggled mightily, and then missed some time with a hip injury..... since he has returned he has been playing a whole lot better than the beginning of the season.

Since his return on Dec. 9, his save percentage has been .928 with a 1.81 GAA.

That's over 16 games in a month and a half.

If you're gonna make stupid comments, at least do ten seconds of research to make sure you're right.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:51 PM
MoS*

Quote:
Wow, you're right, he's only played well for the last week...... I just wonder how they managed to play 16 games in 7 days.....

Salo struggled mightily, and then missed some time with a hip injury..... since he has returned he has been playing a whole lot better than the beginning of the season.

Since his return on Dec. 9, his save percentage has been .928 with a 1.81 GAA.

That's over 16 games in a month and a half.

If you're gonna make stupid comments, at least do ten seconds of research to make sure you're right.
Quote:

Last six games:

.964 SP, .833 GAA, 3 SO

16 games or 6 games??

make you your dumb mind you maggot. first you state his stats from his last 6 games and now your trying to quote his success of of a month and a half from dec 9th. is it 6 games or dec 9?

and i have no idea what this argument is about anyways. i said salo was more valuable than burke and a better playoff option than khabibulin.

sure he has been hot, you can praise him all you want for this regular season feats. i don't care if he's been good in the lst 6 games or the last month. he has a 11-12-4 record and a 0.899 save percentage is the first-third worst in the league for starters depending on if people consider leighton and caron starters.

if you must insist on the last month as the basis of evaluation. then hey wtf not give souray the norris and lang the hart.

Old
01-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
16 games or 6 games??

make you your dumb mind you maggot. first you state his stats from his last 6 games and now your trying to quote his success of of a month and a half from dec 9th. is it 6 games or dec 9?

and i have no idea what this argument is about anyways. i said salo was more valuable than burke and a better playoff option than khabibulin.

sure he has been hot, you can praise him all you want for this regular season feats. i don't care if he's been good in the lst 6 games or the last month. he has a 11-12-4 record and a 0.899 save percentage is the first-third worst in the league for starters depending on if people consider leighton and caron starters.

if you must insist on the last month as the basis of evaluation. then hey wtf not give souray the norris and lang the hart.
Okay, MoS, I'll even type nice and slow for you.....

I gave you his stats for his last six games, as well as his last sixteen since returning from injury....

I'm saying that he has been top notch for the past six, as well as very good for the past sixteen..... What's wrong with posting both sets of stats???? Wouldn't you rather have more info with which to base your opinion on???

I know it's hard to concentrate on two things at once, but you should try it sometime. You said Salo has been playing horribly, so I gave you two pretty strong pieces of evidence that obviously showed that he has been in fact playing very well.

Your childish response proved you have no idea what's going on, you're just another trolling idiot.........

Closed Thread