HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYI/EDM/TB Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
NYI/EDM/TB Proposal

I just posted this suggestion on the Trade Boards forum. What do you guys think?

NYI Needs: I've read Alan Hahn's article about the NYI. Sounds like they need a tougher, grittier Dman and if they could get someone who could stand up to the NYR goon-types, that would be good too.

EDM Needs: PP quarterback. top two centreman.

TB Needs: PP quarterback. They can score goals, if they can get a #1/2 defenseman without giving up anyone on their roster...

NYI: Laraques, Smith
Big George provides the fighter the NYI needs and he's one of the few enforcers who can actually be counted on to play well and not embaress himself. Jason Smith gives that tough-as-nails

EDM: Svitov + (Niiniimaa OR Andreas Holmqvist)
Svitov gives the Oiler a possible #2 centre, who might not be able to play this year but certainly should do so next year. Having a 1-2 of York and Svitov isn't bad. But Svitov was sent down from TB because of poor play, which isn't good. Niiniimaa comes back as an impending RFA, with the hope that he could be signed for much less money. If KLowe doesn't like Janne, then perhaps a young defender like Holmqvist from TB could interest him.

TB: Roman Hamrlik
He's the man who TB wants in any case.

Thoughts?

Old
01-21-2004, 04:15 PM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
I just posted this suggestion on the Trade Boards forum. What do you guys think?

NYI Needs: I've read Alan Hahn's article about the NYI. Sounds like they need a tougher, grittier Dman and if they could get someone who could stand up to the NYR goon-types, that would be good too.

EDM Needs: PP quarterback. top two centreman.

TB Needs: PP quarterback. They can score goals, if they can get a #1/2 defenseman without giving up anyone on their roster...

NYI: Laraques, Smith
Big George provides the fighter the NYI needs and he's one of the few enforcers who can actually be counted on to play well and not embaress himself. Jason Smith gives that tough-as-nails

EDM: Svitov + (Niiniimaa OR Andreas Holmqvist)
Svitov gives the Oiler a possible #2 centre, who might not be able to play this year but certainly should do so next year. Having a 1-2 of York and Svitov isn't bad. But Svitov was sent down from TB because of poor play, which isn't good. Niiniimaa comes back as an impending RFA, with the hope that he could be signed for much less money. If KLowe doesn't like Janne, then perhaps a young defender like Holmqvist from TB could interest him.

TB: Roman Hamrlik
He's the man who TB wants in any case.

Thoughts?
From an oilers standpoint as I don't really think too much about the other teams, I would pass on that. I hate the idea of waiting and waiting and trading and trading for younger guys. Didn't Lowe say that Niinimaa and Carter were the last players that they will trade due to financial constrainst?

I'm sure Svitov is a good player and will be, but I like Smith and his veteran leadership. Laraque's iffy ...50/50..he's a hot commodity still...and he's like Isbister...when he's on top of his game..look out. We need all the grit we can...especially if we're going to make a run to the playoffs and thereafter a playoff run. Laraque and Smith are exceptional players. I think some of the attention was deflected off Laraque due to the Comrie situation. Laraque needs any attention to strive, whether it is critism or praise. I think the line with Stoll, Laraque and Torres looks great.

Plus, we already have tons of young centremens coming, with Niinimaki, Pouliot, Winchester. These are huge guys and I'm pretty sure at least one of them will pan out. I'm starting to have faith in our scoutings. I think we're fine the way we are.
If Brewer can man the point like he used, I don't think we would need Niinimaa. Niinimaa always drove me nutz on the power play...fake the shot and pass...fake another shot and pass..pass pass pass pass..shoot the darn thing already

Old
01-21-2004, 04:51 PM
barto

I wouldn't mind seeing Niinimaa back here at all, but I don't see Lowe taking a chance that he could re-sign him under a new CBA. He'd have to know that Janne would sign for less BEFORE trading for him, somehow...but I'd love to see Janne back here. Smith leaving would open a spot for him, but the two of them are pretty different players.

The deal doesn't really thrill me, I must say, as we get a guy (Svitov) who's been sent down to the minors but "has potential", and most likely we'd get some young unproven defenceman back as well, so I'd have to pass on that one.

Bart

Closed Thread