HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Red Wings @ Blues 12/20/07

Old
12-20-2007, 09:13 PM
BlueNhockeytown

vCash: 500
Wow Gaborik has 5 goals tonight!

BlueNhockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 09:16 PM
fcpremix88

Lines:

Kariya - MacDonald - Boyes
Stempniak - Tkachuk - Perron
M. Johnson - McClement - Hinote
Mayers - R. Johnson - Backes

Backman - Jackman
McKee - EJ
Salvador - Brewer

It's looking very good, especially those first 2 lines. The powerplay is also impressing me tonight.

If they hustle and take the body in the 3rd, they'll win

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 09:20 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNhockeytown View Post
Wow Gaborik has 5 goals tonight!
What?!?!? Last I heard it was 4 goals and 1 assist!!!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 09:36 PM
BlueNhockeytown

ALRIGHT

Old
12-20-2007, 09:45 PM
General Veers

Nice face shield Dally.

Old
12-20-2007, 09:50 PM
BlueNhockeytown

Great game, love the hitting.

Old
12-20-2007, 10:02 PM
General Veers

Kariya Mac Perron NICE LINE!

Old
12-20-2007, 10:03 PM
BlueNhockeytown

Brewer

Almost blew it again.

Old
12-20-2007, 10:05 PM
General Veers

If Zetterberg thinks he's Kocur, let's knock his friggin' block off.

Old
12-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Irish Blues

4-on-4, Detroit will get Osgood off ASAP. I hate putting the Wings in a spot like this.

12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
zackisonfire*

If that was Homer that would've been in front of Legace...

zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
BlueNhockeytown

Good physical game, wish they played like that all the time.

Old
12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Guy Legend

Great game to watch. Watching Mayers and Drake fight was a nice bonus....

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNhockeytown View Post
Brewer

Almost blew it again.
Brewer and JAckman both had strong games. They're both at their best when physical.

Sorry haters

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 12:20 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Brewer and JAckman both had strong games. They're both at their best when physical.

Sorry haters
Agreed, except...#4 did fill his quota of "one bad mistake that ends up at the back of our net" this particular evening. Manny should've stopped Samuelsson's goal...but then again, Brew should have never let his wing get a step or two on him like that. That's just basic defense.

I wish I didn't have to write the above, because I was very impressed with Brewer's game the rest of the evening. This one just happened to be an inexplicable, almost inevitable, completely predictable...Brewer gaffe.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 12:28 AM
CuSa_1

This game had an awesome aura around it, felt like a playoff game in person. Was great.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
Agreed, except...#4 did fill his quota of "one bad mistake that ends up at the back of our net" this particular evening. Manny should've stopped Samuelsson's goal...but then again, Brew should have never let his wing get a step or two on him like that. That's just basic defense.

I wish I didn't have to write the above, because I was very impressed with Brewer's game the rest of the evening. This one just happened to be an inexplicable, almost inevitable, completely predictable...Brewer gaffe.
The thing is I have less of a probem with Brewer's play on that than his other mistakes.

1. It was a physical error more than a mental error. He was positioned well I thought and had his man to the outside. The problem was, he was slow to react and didn't recover and take his man well enough. However, I can live with physical mistakes my defenders from time to time especially when you consider...

2. It took a pretty great outlet pass to set up that play. Brewer's slow reaction could be due to the fact that the outlet pass on that play was a thing of beauty. Luckily, most defenders can't make that pass in most cases.

3. And that's a shot Legace saves 90-95 percent of the time. While Brewer should have done a better job wrapping up his man, he did slow him enough to give Legace a fair chance. Legace didn't come up big, but luckily he played a strong game other than this play.

The big mistake I saw Brewer make was playing the puck to the middle in his own end and almost getting burnt on it. I thought that was worse than his play on the goal. Outside of these two instances though, he did what he needs to do to be successful. He picked his spots to be aggressive in the offensive end, played physical, and didn't try to do too much. As good as he was, I thought Jackman was better and will almost certainly be playing with a target on his back in our next two games against Detroit. He was Jackman at his *hole best and got under Detroit's skin.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 03:47 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Excerpt from an NHL Holiday card:
Quote:
Merry Christmas, Dally! How's the weather up there? Best wishes to the family!

Your pal,
Jammer

PS - Next time you fight me with a girly visor on, I'll bodyslam you.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 04:27 AM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

jax

wow before reading the detroit GDT i never really knew how much jackman gets under other team's skins

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 04:56 AM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
The thing is I have less of a probem with Brewer's play on that than his other mistakes.

1. It was a physical error more than a mental error. He was positioned well I thought and had his man to the outside. The problem was, he was slow to react and didn't recover and take his man well enough. However, I can live with physical mistakes my defenders from time to time especially when you consider...

2. It took a pretty great outlet pass to set up that play. Brewer's slow reaction could be due to the fact that the outlet pass on that play was a thing of beauty. Luckily, most defenders can't make that pass in most cases.3. And that's a shot Legace saves 90-95 percent of the time. While Brewer should have done a better job wrapping up his man, he did slow him enough to give Legace a fair chance. Legace didn't come up big, but luckily he played a strong game other than this play.

The big mistake I saw Brewer make was playing the puck to the middle in his own end and almost getting burnt on it. I thought that was worse than his play on the goal. Outside of these two instances though, he did what he needs to do to be successful. He picked his spots to be aggressive in the offensive end, played physical, and didn't try to do too much. As good as he was, I thought Jackman was better and will almost certainly be playing with a target on his back in our next two games against Detroit. He was Jackman at his *hole best and got under Detroit's skin.
Exactly. This is the #1 team in the NHL for a reason, Brews wouldn't be the first D-man to be victimized by them.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Blue Sur

Looking through inch-thick red lenses, the Blues won this only because a) they played like their lives depended on it, b) they cross-checked and brutally beat the red-white visitors and c) the refs handed the game to them. That must be the only way to triumph over the invincible GM fleet. And the outrage of scoring with traffic in front of the goalie...

To coin a phrase, sour grapes.

Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 08:58 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Not to mention Brewers set up in front of the net he couldn't bury on that power play. Nor his weak shot after shot after shot from the point that was blocked by the Wings time after time.

Checker, I love how you say Brewer had a "strong game" and than a point is brought up on his goal he helped allow and than you say "The big mistake I saw Brewer make was playing the puck to the middle in his own end and almost getting burnt on it. I thought that was worse than his play on the goal. Outside of these two instances though, he did what he needs to do to be successful."

To say that was a "strong game" from a top 2 defensemen is nonsense.

Brewer played ok...to say "Strong" is overstating it. Sorry Brewer lover.

Anyway, Jackman played well.

I really like Stempniak with Perron and Tkachuck.

1st line looks good as well.

A few more games to jell should do wonders for these 6.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 12-21-2007 at 09:32 AM.
TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Sniper
It's learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
Not to mention Brewers set up in front of the net he couldn't bury on that power play. Nor his weak shot after shot after shot from the point that was blocked by the Wings time after time.

Checker, I love how you say Brewer had a "strong game" and than a point is brought up on his goal he helped allow and than you say "The big mistake I saw Brewer make was playing the puck to the middle in his own end and almost getting burnt on it. I thought that was worse than his play on the goal. Outside of these two instances though, he did what he needs to do to be successful."

To say that was a "strong game" from a top 2 defensemen is nonsense.

Brewer played ok...to say "Strong" is overstating it. Sorry Brewer lover.

Anyway, Jackman played well.

I really like Stempniak with Perron and Tkachuck.

1st line looks good as well.

A few more games to jell should do wonders for these 6.
I think that Brewer played strong, but that depends on who you compare him to. Did he play strong as compared to Pronger/Chopper? No. Did he play strong as compared to his past 4-6 games? Absolutely.

I also think that Perron played a strong game, but he also put his team in a tough position by taking 2 minor penalties against the #1 PP in the league.

Overall it was a great, intense game that hopefully we see more of.

Oh, and lets all hope that Andy Mac's injury wasn't serious and won't keep him out any/too many games.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 10:50 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I think that Brewer played strong, but that depends on who you compare him to. Did he play strong as compared to Pronger/Chopper? No. Did he play strong as compared to his past 4-6 games? Absolutely.
Who is comparing MacInnis and Pronger to Brewer???

Brewer had 2 big mistakes last night...not to mention losing the puck several times on blocked shots on the power play.

A 9th year vet who is suppose to be our go to guy on the power play as well as being paid as a top 2 defensemen does not have a strong game after making 2 possible game turning mistakes a game.

If this was Wagner or EJ we were talking about it would be a different story.

Saying he played strong compared to his last subpar 4-6 games doesn't mean he is playing "Strong" now...it just means he didn't play like Sh(t last night.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Sniper
It's learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
Who is comparing MacInnis and Pronger to Brewer???

Brewer had 2 big mistakes last night...not to mention losing the puck several times on blocked shots on the power play.

A 9th year vet who is suppose to be our go to guy on the power play as well as being paid as a top 2 defensemen does not have a strong game after making 2 possible game turning mistakes a game.

If this was Wagner or EJ we were talking about it would be a different story.

Saying he played strong compared to his last subpar 4-6 games doesn't mean he is playing "Strong" now...it just means he didn't play like Sh(t last night.
I was doing the comparison to try and see where you were coming from. I suppose we can change "strong" to "stronger" and be happy. Yes Brewer made some mistakes last night, but you could probably say the same thing about most players on most nights. "They had a good game except for those 1-2 mistakes."

Disclaimer: Please disregard the fact that Brewer's mistakes usually result in a goal.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote