HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens/Thrashers Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 09:05 PM
DJ Spinoza

vCash: 500
Pens/Thrashers Proposal

Pens get: Karl Stewart and a conditional pick

Thrashers get: Dick Tarnstrom

I think Tarnstrom could fit in well with Atlanta. In return, the Pens save some salary and get a guy who I think could fit into the type of system Edzo is attempting to put in - even if he didn't step in right away.

Seems like a pretty reasonable deal from both sides.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
What is a Karl Stewart?

The Pens can certainly do better than that.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
01-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing

I think Tarnstrom could fit in well with Atlanta. In return, the Pens save some salary and get a guy who I think could fit into the type of system Edzo is attempting to put in - even if he didn't step in right away.

I don't like it. Stewart is small and has limited goal scoring ability. I don't see where he fits in at an NHL level. He's a worthless return.

Besides, Tarnstrom is too important to this team. At this point, he's the only guy who makes the powerplay watchable. He shouldn't be moved unless it's for a young guy who can eventually be a top 6 forward, a checking line center, or a top 4 d-man.

S L

Old
01-21-2004, 09:25 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
I don't like it. Stewart is small and has limited goal scoring ability. I don't see where he fits in at an NHL level. He's a worthless return.

Besides, Tarnstrom is too important to this team. At this point, he's the only guy who makes the powerplay watchable. He shouldn't be moved unless it's for a young guy who can eventually be a top 6 forward, a checking line center, or a top 4 d-man.

S L
Didn't see the size when I was skimming through Atlanta's list. It seemed like a reasonable trade based on the stuff I read about him.

Nix this one, thanks especially to the excellent opinion of spence___.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:28 PM
spence___

Quote:
Didn't see the size when I was skimming through Atlanta's list. It seemed like a reasonable trade based on the stuff I read about him.

Nix this one, thanks especially to the excellent opinion of spence___.
Rereading it I guess it was a little too harsh. Sorry about that.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Ok, I don't think this is that bad. And come on, Mr. is one of the better posters on the Pens board. Karl Stewart can be a checking line forward, not a center but a checking line forward with some offensive punch. If you really want a d-man, how about.....

To Atlanta:
Dick Tarnstrom

To Pittsburgh:
Libor Ustrnul/Kurtis Foster
Conditional Pick

A big deal might be where this conditional pick falls.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:32 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence___
Rereading it I guess it was a little too harsh. Sorry about that.
No problem.

Atlanta seems like a good fit for a place to send Tarnstrom, I just wasn't thourough enough in looking for a return. How about replacing Stewart with Slater?

..Although it doesn't look like Atlanta has much the Pens could use that wouldn't be untouchable from their standpoint.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
No problem.

Atlanta seems like a good fit for a place to send Tarnstrom, I just wasn't thourough enough in looking for a return. How about replacing Stewart with Slater?

..Although it doesn't look like Atlanta has much the Pens could use that wouldn't be untouchable from their standpoint.
I think we'd have to throw in a prospect or a draft pick for Slater. A third rounder? Sivek?

S L

Old
01-21-2004, 09:49 PM
DJ Spinoza

I guess it depends on both teams opinions about what they're getting.

One downside to the Tarnstrom trade talk is that I don't see many teams that might be interested. He is serving the Pens pretty well as a makeshift top d-man, but I think if a good trade can be had, you have to go for it.

How about Slater for Tarnstrom straight up, or did you mean that it would have to be Tarnstrom plus something just for Slater?

Old
01-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
I guess it depends on both teams opinions about what they're getting.

One downside to the Tarnstrom trade talk is that I don't see many teams that might be interested. He is serving the Pens pretty well as a makeshift top d-man, but I think if a good trade can be had, you have to go for it.

How about Slater for Tarnstrom straight up, or did you mean that it would have to be Tarnstrom plus something just for Slater?
Slater is having a pretty big season in college. I don't know if Tarnstrom alone would cut it. I think we'd need to throw in a marginal prospect or a pick, which I'd be down for. I'm not sure what kind of future Sivek has with this organization. I'd toss him in with Tarnstrom for Slater. But, does Atlanta make this deal?

S L

Old
01-21-2004, 10:18 PM
DJ Spinoza

Don't know, I guess it depends on how much they think Tarnstrom could help them make a good run this year. No playoff experience to my knowledge.

He's not old, though, but that's also a plus to keeping him.

Old
01-22-2004, 05:04 AM
cws
...in the drink

From every indication, Atlanta isn't interested in trading Slater. The front office likes the way this kid competes, and they love his attitude towards the game. He has skills offensively, but his hard work shift by shift is likely what Atlanta likes the most. MSU fans can attest to this, this guy never stops working on both sides of the ice.

He might be excellent in the NHL, he might turn out to be a bust. No way for anyone to know right now. But Atlanta will definitely give him the chance. Only chance he'll be included in a trade is for a long-time impact player, relatively young. And even that is probably a long shot to happen.

Thrashers are looking more towards a defenseman who is very solid in his own and has decent-to-good puck moving skills. The way Hartley runs the team, the Dmen just need to move the puck; be aggressive on the attack but smart about when and where that attack should be. Tarnstrom may fit into that, but it's better for us to go after a warrior in the defensive zone. But the deadline is still some weeks away, we'll see.

Old
01-22-2004, 06:04 AM
Safir*

Quote:

Deal! The conditional pick should be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Closed Thread