HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would Zhamnov look as an Oiler?

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 04:19 PM
oilersotaki

vCash: 500
How would Zhamnov look as an Oiler?

What do you Oilers experts think of having Zhamnov as a an Oiler? What do you think we would need to trade to get him?

Old
01-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Slats432

The Oilers will not trade for an expensive UFA. The Oilers wouldn't trade anything for him.

AND....WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!!!!!!

Old
01-21-2004, 04:28 PM
barto

Well, the Oilers *might* trade someone like, say, SALO for the last couple of weeks of Zhamnov, *perhaps*. Still highly unlikely, I would think, but there's always that hope for a 'rent-a-player'. Esp. if Oates really is gone by the deadline as many speculated at the time of the signing.

Bart

Old
01-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

How would Zhamnov look as an Oiler?, My guess is the same he looked as a Black Hawk, he'd just change his jersey and helmet probably.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
How would Zhamnov look as an Oiler?, My guess is the same he looked as a Black Hawk, he'd just change his jersey and helmet probably.
That was just bad...plain old bad.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:39 PM
oilersotaki

A UFA who we could sign after the new CBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
The Oilers will not trade for an expensive UFA. The Oilers wouldn't trade anything for him.

AND....WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, he will be an UFA, but one that could be signed after our supposed new CBA. As well we would only be paying his salary for the remainder of the season. Reasoner is taking longer to get rehabilited. Oates has not been the savior we thought he might have been. Horcoff is only doing OK. We need talented center man now and the ones that will be coming up are still prospects and will not be stars even after a couple years.

But even if is not a likely reality, I was wondering how his style of play would work with the Oilers.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Otaki
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, he will be an UFA, but one that could be signed after our supposed new CBA. As well we would only be paying his salary for the remainder of the season. Reasoner is taking longer to get rehabilited. Oates has not been the savior we thought he might have been. Horcoff is only doing OK. We need talented center man now and the ones that will be coming up are still prospects and will not be stars even after a couple years.

But even if is not a likely reality, I was wondering how his style of play would work with the Oilers.
A great skilled pivot like Zhamnov would always look good in Oiler's silks. But realistically there is ZERO chance that he would come here, nor resign him. On top of it UFA would be July 1st which is before the CBA expires, and on top of that, even in a new CBA world he would still be a $3-5 million dollar player. Not going to happen.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:51 PM
elphy101

If the Oilers were prepared to shell out the 4 Million for Zhamnov, I would much rather see them acquire Jeff O'Neill.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:56 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
If the Oilers were prepared to shell out the 4 Million for Zhamnov, I would much rather see them acquire Jeff O'Neill.
**THREAD HIJACK ALERT**

That reminds me - I think it was Matheson who mentioned something about O'Neill and that it would take $3.7M or something to 'keep his rights beyond this season'. Does that mean that the Oilers could just use him as a rent-a-player for the rest of the year and then not be on the hook for his big salary next year? Is it some kind of option-year thing, or was that just phrased poorly and he's got another year or two remaining at big bucks?

Bart

Old
01-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
**THREAD HIJACK ALERT**

That reminds me - I think it was Matheson who mentioned something about O'Neill and that it would take $3.7M or something to 'keep his rights beyond this season'. Does that mean that the Oilers could just use him as a rent-a-player for the rest of the year and then not be on the hook for his big salary next year? Is it some kind of option-year thing, or was that just phrased poorly and he's got another year or two remaining at big bucks?

Bart
Jeff O'Neil would be a RFA after this season, it would take something like the contract Smyth signed to resign O'Neil i bet

and for the first post Zhamnov would look crappy as an oiler

Old
01-21-2004, 05:04 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
Jeff O'Neil would be a RFA after this season, it would take something like the contract Smyth signed to resign O'Neil i bet

and for the first post Zhamnov would look crappy as an oiler
Thanks for that - so we could actually trade for him now, then trade his rights away over the summer or at the draft rather than resign him to some other contract...? I guess I was just looking for an angle on him somehow that would still work in the short term.

Bart

Old
01-21-2004, 09:08 PM
CanmoreMike

Zhamnov as an Oiler? Doesn't do much for me.

That said - what is it with people shooting down UFA's? The money we would actually pay a UFA would be small and if we could actually get a couple of more gates out of having a future UFA on our team, why not?

I actually like the idea of losing players for nothing. Especially if you put that money towards something. Right now I count 2 million from Oates and another 3.5-4 million from Salo coming off the books. I like that because it gives us 5.5 million to play with. With guys like Salo, Byron Dafoe and others on the market, not to mention the dozen or so goalie dumps that are always floating around, 2 million of that 5.5 million would be spent on a goalie. If we spent a million of that giving Jason Smith an offer he can't refuse (ie. Staois $) we still have 2.5 million to spend elsewhere. That's a lot of flexibility.

It's a problem when that financial flexibility isn't used. CuJo left and it seems he took the cash he was paid by the Oilers with him. What the hell did we spend it on? Not on raises for Smyth and Weight because both had to miss training camp to get their contracts. Not on other UFAs. Seems the money just disappeared into thin air.

Personally, if the Oilers found a UFA that they could use now I would totally be in favour of them making that deal.

Just so that we're clear though, Zhamnov is NOT that UFA.

Closed Thread