HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing While being Sick

Old
12-20-2007, 10:43 AM
NJDevs430

vCash: 500
Playing While being Sick

I think I'm coming down with a cold but I got a game tonight.
}:-(>
Has anyone ever played sick? What did you do before or during the game if you did? Were you worried about getting the other guys sick?

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:20 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430 View Post
I think I'm coming down with a cold but I got a game tonight.
}:-(>
Has anyone ever played sick? What did you do before or during the game if you did? Were you worried about getting the other guys sick?
Simply put, suck it up and get out there. It's a just a cold and you are only just coming down with it.

It's just a cold. If the guys on your team get it, oh well...it's just a cold.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Bruins420

red bull, an airborne and a lot of fluids

Bruins420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 01:05 PM
SSM12

Advil, then I went out there, not that hard to do actually. Plus, it allows you to "sweat it out" Just dress warm afterwards

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 01:38 PM
BigBearnier

5 hour energy drink. and lots of water, and you'll be fine

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Brunomics

tough it out you *****

j/k drink plenty of water during the game and just try to bulldog through it. No use worrying about being sick so you might as well try to ignore it and just play your game.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I played sick quite a few times. After the game I felt better.

Just sweat it out.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I always played some awesome games when I was sick. And afterwards you feel alot better. It gets the cold out of your system.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 06:38 PM
OilerNut*

My team use to always give me crap for playing with a cold, being too worried about catching it.

One guy even gave me **** saying that if he got sick and then his wife got sick, that his wife would kill him.

You are more exposed in your workplace.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Diamond Joe

I actually find that if you're stuffed up (congestion) that the smell of the zamboni and the rick actually clears you up. Just go out there and deal with it after. But ya dress warmly or else you could get into trouble, you should always dress warm after a game as it is.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 06:44 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
I actually find that if you're stuffed up (congestion) that the smell of the zamboni and the rick actually clears you up. Just go out there and deal with it after. But ya dress warmly or else you could get into trouble, you should always dress warm after a game as it is.
I think it's the adrenaline that kinda clears you up for the game.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 11:27 PM
lotus

I played once with a lingering bronchitis cough a few weeks ago. Well I played like 3 times cause that **** never goes away. I still have it a little. It was dumb of me to play with such a contagious illness in hindsight, but I was perfectly fine whenever I was moving around. Once I sat down on the bench, I would cough like a chain smoker.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 12:12 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
My team use to always give me crap for playing with a cold, being too worried about catching it.

One guy even gave me **** saying that if he got sick and then his wife got sick, that his wife would kill him.

You are more exposed in your workplace.
Well if your going to play sick...I wouldn't go around telling everyone your sick before the game

Ive played sick a few times...no way will I miss a game unless I really am so sick that I have no energy or strength. I'll do whatever it takes to feel a bit better...even if means taking a sick day off work so I can rest and take a nap.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Islesny91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I think it's the adrenaline that kinda clears you up for the game.
its definately the adrenaline. Whenever i felt sick on game days, i would always show up to school late just so i could play that day and during the game i felt just fine. I've always thought that when i was skated, my blood started to flow more and thats always what made me feel better. just eat like a bowl of oatmeal a few hours before drop of the puck and you'll be fine.

Islesny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 08:49 AM
koh19

IMO, a cold is fine but when you've got the flu, it's almost impossible to play. I went to practise last night with the flu and almost died on the ice. I'm also gonna skip my 2 games this weekend.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

I found that back during my high school years, i was pretty much sick all the time, so if i didn't play sick, i would never play. the combination of the winter months, the late nights, and being on the ice 5 nights a week can really do a number on your immune system. Once I played just a few days after i was dignosed with walking pneumonia. it was the playoffs, otherwise i would not have been playing. logged a ton of minutes too, i always felt fine during play, but could barely stand between whistles...

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
IMO, a cold is fine but when you've got the flu, it's almost impossible to play. I went to practise last night with the flu and almost died on the ice. I'm also gonna skip my 2 games this weekend.
My last year of high school I got the flu right at the start of our winter break. Luckily our league took a break then too. I missed two practices and a three game holiday tournament. At the tail end of me having the flu, about 2 weeks in, we had a league game so I had to play. When I play I usually don't feel anything at all, pulled my groin playing in college and stayed in the game bad idea only made it worse, but that game I was literally laying on the ice after I made saves. We were down 2-1 with about 4 minutes to play when our coach called a time out. I stayed in the crease, took off my mask, and yaked in the net. That was the worst I have ever been sick in my entire life, it was like I was in a coma for the first three days. Now I get the flu shot every year and haven't gotten it in four years.

Superman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 10:14 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRoad View Post
I played sick quite a few times. After the game I felt better.

Just sweat it out.
During and right after you feel great, but like an hour later you feel like you're going to die.

I eat a lot. It helps IMO.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 10:21 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

hopefully you have your own water bottle

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
You can, but since you're physically weakened you're also more prone to get injured. Keep that in mind if you're the type to easily suffer injuries.

That said, you shouldn't have too many problems, just keep your own water bottle.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 12:22 PM
NJDevs430

Thank you all for your advice.
I did buy some Airborne, and it worked rather well...but I wouldn't drink Red Bull if you paid me.
I did decent last night - although my legs kinda ground down toawrds the end. I did sweat - I had to wring my shirt out - but I still have the cold; though I do feel better now than I did yesterday.
}:-)>

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Titan124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
I don't reccomend smelling The Rick. With the amount of work he does night in and night out, he can wind up smelling quite nasty. In addition, to not put food in or onto The Rick, or tap on The Rick's glass.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Hank Chinaski

vCash: 50
Playing with strepthroat was pretty brutal...had lots of trouble breathing, felt pretty lightheaded and unfocused in the first period, and I ended up almost pulling a Belfour, playing a loose puck I had no business playing about 40 feet out of my net, nearly gave buddy a wide-open net.

I managed to bear down in the 2nd period though, and got the shutout. Looking back...I should have played sick more often.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 02:30 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
If you're just coming down with the cold just drink a lot of water and keep yourself well hydrated. If you're really sick I do not recommend playing, I played sick and ended up throwing up and feeling miserable, plus didn't have all that much energy.

So...if you're not really all that sick, go play, sweat it out. If you're deathly ill...just don't.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 02:43 PM
stick9

Hey just think what it will be like when you are sick as a dog and you have to get up and go to work.

Sorry man, I don't mean to dig on you. That's not how I want to come off. I just think all things considered playing ice hockey with a touch a cold is pretty low on the list of things to worry about. You just go out and do what you gotta do.

Good to hear you toughed it out and decided to play.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote