HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

so...who's for calling Downie up for tomorrow nights game?

Old
12-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Lab Monkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
I watched Steve Downie play for Team Canada and this guy is a winner. He screwed up. He wanted to really paste (McCammond I believe) and left his feet for a dangerous hit. He got suspended, sent down. and now he will learn from it all and be better next time. he will have a long career, his first bit of NHL experience shouldn't be how he is viewed from now on.

he can only help a hockey team and should be given another chance with the big club.
i totally agree, if Steve can play as well as he did for the Flyers as he did for Team Canada he will likely have an amazing career. I would love to see Downie playing with Richards down the road if Steve finds some self control

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 10:45 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Yeah, if physical hockey makes you can't stand one of our players, you shouldn't be following this team.

He beat the **** out of someone tonight, too.
I dont mind physical hockey at all, but when Downie comes on its like he cant help himself and needs to hit someone before he leaves the ice. It would be ok for me if a veteran type player did that, but he needs to learn his place first before he starts doing that kinda stuff. HOwever, the hit on McAmmond was nice.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTavares09 View Post
I dont mind physical hockey at all, but when Downie comes on its like he cant help himself and needs to hit someone before he leaves the ice. It would be ok for me if a veteran type player did that, but he needs to learn his place first before he starts doing that kinda stuff. HOwever, the hit on McAmmond was nice.
ah the hypocrisy of age v. youth... ever fun. okay for one, not okay for another.

Downie needs to get himself under control at times, but being a physical pest out there is fine regardless of age as long as it's within the limits.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:08 AM
decadentia

Can someone give me some information about Downie, i'll admit I don't know as much as I should.

Correct me if im wrong ( I hope you do, for information sake ), but this kid seems like he has so much talent that he just wastes. I don't understand why a kid with that much talent focuses on being an agitator when he could be out there producing a lot of points.

Anyone have any speculation on him? I just feel like he's wasting what talent he has.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:16 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Can someone give me some information about Downie, i'll admit I don't know as much as I should.

Correct me if im wrong ( I hope you do, for information sake ), but this kid seems like he has so much talent that he just wastes. I don't understand why a kid with that much talent focuses on being an agitator when he could be out there producing a lot of points.

Anyone have any speculation on him? I just feel like he's wasting what talent he has.
Not really. Agitating is like Downie rocket fuel. It's what makes him go... if he was wasting it, then why would he be highly regarded as a member and leader of Canada's gold team, or put up the numbers that he did in Junior?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Jester

Quote:

not sure if he's wasting his talent... he's an aggressive, physical player who crosses the line a bit too much... and now he has a rep. he's put up 13 pts in 17 games in the AHL thus far (his 104 PIMs are amazing... and need to be lowered). he always produced in junior as well... he needs to find the golden mean of his play to stay on edge, but not cross over the line so often.

he's going to produce offense.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:20 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Not really. Agitating is like Downie rocket fuel. It's what makes him go... if he was wasting it, then why would he be highly regarded as a member and leader of Canada's gold team, or put up the numbers that he did in Junior?
I don't think you quite understood where im coming from. What im saying is that he's letting it get the best of him, which is now becoming detrimental to his scoring potential. I know he's always been rowdy, however to me it seems like he's becoming his own worst enemy by letting it takeover.

There's strategic agitating and then there's need for anger management and sitting in the penalty box/suspended.

Old
12-22-2007, 11:22 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
not sure if he's wasting his talent... he's an aggressive, physical player who crosses the line a bit too much... and now he has a rep. he's put up 13 pts in 17 games in the AHL thus far (his 104 PIMs are amazing... and need to be lowered). he always produced in junior as well... he needs to find the golden mean of his play to stay on edge, but not cross over the line so often.

he's going to produce offense.
Perhaps I should have worded it differently. When I said wasted, I meant that he's becoming somewhat of a liability to himself and thus stunting his point production. I just think he could do a lot more if he'd put himself in check more, at least by taking less penalties.

Old
12-22-2007, 11:22 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
I don't think you quite understood where im coming from. What im saying is that he's letting it get the best of him, which is now becoming detrimental to his scoring potential. I know he's always been rowdy, however to me it seems like he's becoming his own worst enemy by letting it takeover.

There's strategic agitating and then there's need for anger management and sitting in the penalty box/suspended.
And what evidence do you have that its getting the best of him? 13 pts in 16 or so games in the AHL are good numbers. Are you watching the games and noticing something? Downie's the same as he's always been, not worse. He does need to learn more to pick his spots, but wheres the evidence that he's losing control now?

Old
12-22-2007, 11:28 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
And what evidence do you have that its getting the best of him? 13 pts in 16 or so games in the AHL are good numbers. Are you watching the games and noticing something? Downie's the same as he's always been, not worse. He does need to learn more to pick his spots, but wheres the evidence that he's losing control now?
I don't have some portfolio of evidence, unless we're talking PIMs so far this season, but he's always had that issue. It's simply what ive seen of him this year in comparison to scouting reports. I just developed an opinion from watching him.

Old
12-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Viller

If Downie can play at the same level he played for Team Canada, he'd be a major part of this team. Who cares if hes a target, any agitator are targets. The ones that do their job well anyway.

He's a tank, he can take it. Stevens just need to take his head out of his ass and play him more than 5 minutes to be effective though.

The way this team is going, It can't hurt.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:52 AM
PodesforPrez

Based on the video from last night, I think it's highly respectable what he did there. One of his teammates got boarded, and he went right after the guy who was responsible. Not sure if there was going to be a penalty called on the play already, but if Downie can keep himself in check for some situations when his actions aren't called for, having him there for something like this would definitely give a little extra punch in the Flyers lineup.

personally, I like him most of the time, and at this point I think it's worth giving him another shot and see what he can do.

PodesforPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Can anyone give me the link to the fight? I can't seem to see it on the boards, and I can't find it on youtube.

Yertle The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Lab Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downie Kills Puppies View Post
Can anyone give me the link to the fight? I can't seem to see it on the boards, and I can't find it on youtube.
its on the first page of this thread, but ya heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KOBy...ums/showthread

Old
12-22-2007, 01:26 PM
lancer247

at this point downey and potulny should get an extended look...downey is a better playmaker then i thought...i wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot on carters line w/ knuble...

let tolopeko & downey push each other for time...they are both guys that can be effective on the 4th line, as well as, moved up if they are going good one night...

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Lab Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
at this point downey and potulny should get an extended look...downey is a better playmaker then i thought...i wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot on carters line w/ knuble...

let tolopeko & downey push each other for time...they are both guys that can be effective on the 4th line, as well as, moved up if they are going good one night...
only problem with that is the coach would have to notice that they are playing well. evidence would suggest Stevens is far to stupid to notice (just look at how he used Lupul against the Canes late in the game)

Old
12-22-2007, 02:31 PM
kbarbdamnit

Send a message via ICQ to kbarbdamnit Send a message via AIM to kbarbdamnit
http://stats.theahl.com/hm/transacti...&f_team_id=313

The transactions page on theahl.com shows Jesse Boulerice called up. I didn't think they'd bother calling him up since they have Cote on the roster.

kbarbdamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 03:19 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarbdamnit View Post
http://stats.theahl.com/hm/transacti...&f_team_id=313

The transactions page on theahl.com shows Jesse Boulerice called up. I didn't think they'd bother calling him up since they have Cote on the roster.
working off the suspension

Old
12-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Flyersguru

Sure, call him up and when he takes a 5 minute major penalty for something stupid and cost us the game, then what?

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Is it just me, cause I can't see how this helps Flyers...? Downie is a disgrase, and for fans to see him as an answer for this team.... wont even say it...

He's no disgrace, he's a throwback, old school type player. I'm not so sure he makes a huge difference getting 5-7 minutes per night but the kid's a player and as others have stated before...a winner. He's also excellent along the walls and very skilled in case you haven't seen much of him.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 05:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
i would just like to say its DOWNIE, not DOWNEY, OR DOWNY. Christ people spell his name right. one typo is fine, but more then that is just friggin annoying.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 05:26 PM
DjsIzzy

Send a message via AIM to DjsIzzy
Granted, I haven't seen him play much in Juniors or for the phantoms, so I don't know what his "normal style" of play is in the way of being agressive.

But it might be possible that he is trying so hard to show that he can play the role of an agitator on top of being a "points getter" so that he is more likely to get the call up, as a utility player if nothing else.

I would love to see him get called up for tonights game, its going to be physical and if he throws a decent hit or two (and doesn't do something stupid) then he could be a game changer.

DjsIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote