HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Defense in Surplus Around the League?

Old
12-22-2007, 09:45 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
Defense in Surplus Around the League?

I have noticed in most trade threads that nearly every team is in need of a scoring winger and wants to trade a mid level defenseman for them. Has the value for 3-6 defenseman gone down with a surplus of D-men? I know we have talked about making a trade of one of our D-men, but I question whether or not the return will be what we think. Any thoughts? In other words, we expect a 1st and a player/prospect for Jackman. (Just an example, I don't really want to trade him.) Is that still reasonable?

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 10:37 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

I think it has to do with most fans in the league are ready to give up a defenceman for a forward. Most fans want there team to roll 4 lines but its just not going to happen.

I do believe we are over valuing what we could get for Jackman though, this isn't the same man who won the Calder and this isn't the same league he won it in.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:40 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
I think it has to do with most fans in the league are ready to give up a defenceman for a forward. Most fans want there team to roll 4 lines but its just not going to happen.

I do believe we are over valuing what we could get for Jackman though, this isn't the same man who won the Calder and this isn't the same league he won it in.
I agree. Our hope is probably someone trading for reputation hoping he will turn the corner. I like Jackman, but he has been off for most of this year. It will be interesting to see how the Blues approach the deadline. Whether they make it or not, my hope is that they are still sellers.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:29 PM
General Veers

I think every team has a surplus of D-men that are trade-able because the defensive accountability and positional play of the average D-man has quadrupled in these past 10 years or so. Every team use to have a slug or two that nobody wanted, but now, even players with low talent defensively are so well coached that they can at least be solid most of the time. I guess my point is this, Matt Walker could have played on most of the Blues teams I saw as a kid, and now he can't even get in a game.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
StLooFrenchy

There is a D surplus: 5-8 level D. Always has been.

Jax has shown signs of finding his game in the last few. If he plays like he has the last two, I would perfer to keep him as opposed to trading for a pick that may never develop, or for a scoring forward that we may not need now, we do have Oshie (hopefully) available after ND's season is kaput.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote