HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think Gomez deserves an appreciation thread.

Old
12-22-2007, 02:30 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
Yeah because it's his fault the team sucks.
Definitely is all his fault.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

scotty's been awesome..i got his jersey on opening night..i knew he'd quiet the naysayers..go scotty

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Bretzky*

Yup, this guy is the real deal. He plays with more emotion than I originally thought, as well. Great guy to have.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 03:45 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

First off, great thread!

Gomez has been fantastic thus far. Initially I was psyched about Drury and wary about Gomez, but my expectations should have been the other way around. Scotty has been awesome and I'm very happy that the Rangers signed him - keep it up 19.

HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 04:32 PM
dynamoovechkin

Yeah, pleasantly surprised by his offence. FINALLY, on the first line, where he should be. Nice to see his offence blossom unshackled by the Devils defense first system.

He has got to be the best at carrying the puck up ice from the defensive zone in the league. (Strangely, Straka- who's job it was last year, is slightly less effective because of it- in my opinion. Still love Marty tho).

Jagr was right too, he is impossible to hit. Definitely our best forward so far this year, nifty little player- made Sather look good in giving him the huge contract. Now if someone would just awaken Drury...

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Been telling you guys this since March.

You aint seen nothing yet. He's been waiting his whole life to win a cup in NYC.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 04:48 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Big deal. He's doing everything a hockey player is supposed to do (play hard, etc). Gomez brought in to make the whole team better and take the organization to the next level. When he does that, it will be time to give him an appreciation thread.
Gomez was brought in to take the team to a whole new level?

I think you were grossly overrating him then.

He was brought in to help us score more goals/points...but to bring the team to a whole new level? Only an elite superstar can do that on his own.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 05:56 PM
gmanwrx

gomez and drury are worth every penny...

long term wise, rangers team is going to be based around those two next few season.

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 07:00 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
Been telling you guys this since March.

You aint seen nothing yet. He's been waiting his whole life to win a cup in NYC.

The way things look as of now he might be waiting a while. All in all though I've been very happy with his play and I thought he was the better of the signings--first become he's still relatively young and second because it weakened a major rival in our own division. I also thought he and Jagr would make a good line and I guess we'll see what round two brings but the first round wasn't so good.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 07:42 PM
slackerracker

Gomez is doing exactly what he did with the devils besides his worth ethic which has been better. But there are teams that know how to beat him like Ottawa. He's very good at taking the puck through the neutral zone but once he gets into the opposing teams zone he seems to get lost on that entry then either dump it or turn it over(and once in a while actually get it to the winger). He's still got to become a consistant scorer as his shot is far from consistent but that was never his strong suit.

To the person saying that he's finally out of NJ's defensive system - Come on your team is playing a defensive system as well the only difference is Gomez is making a tremendous effort with NY that he didnt' always do with NJ. It's something about being on a NY team and playing at MSG that brings outs his full effort.

slackerracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerracker View Post
Gomez is doing exactly what he did with the devils besides his worth ethic which has been better. But there are teams that know how to beat him like Ottawa. He's very good at taking the puck through the neutral zone but once he gets into the opposing teams zone he seems to get lost on that entry then either dump it or turn it over(and once in a while actually get it to the winger). He's still got to become a consistant scorer as his shot is far from consistent but that was never his strong suit.

To the person saying that he's finally out of NJ's defensive system - Come on your team is playing a defensive system as well the only difference is Gomez is making a tremendous effort with NY that he didnt' always do with NJ. It's something about being on a NY team and playing at MSG that brings outs his full effort.
We may play a careful, defensive-minded game, but we don't trap. Jersey trapped. The trap starts pressure in the neutral zone. We forecheck just fine when we're on our game. Argument over.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 08:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Hey they just shut down the Gomez is awesome thread on the main board.....

I think he's better as a Ranger.

Just one guys opinion looking for some other opinions

dayyyum

12-22-2007, 08:17 PM
slackerracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
We may play a careful, defensive-minded game, but we don't trap. Jersey trapped. The trap starts pressure in the neutral zone. We forecheck just fine when we're on our game. Argument over.
idk why you even brought up the trap as i said nothing of the sort although i do feel you guys play a version of the trap which is how it appears to me. Gomez is now playing as he should of as a Devil, and honestly he wasn't strong defensively with the Devils and sometimes wouldn't skate hard to get back to cover the trailer. ending this short as i have a really bad charlie horse in my calf and it hurts like hell i'll continue it later....

ok now that i'm over that for now, still hurts but my muscle isn't as tight. I don't really remember my point here as i had that slight side track so i'll just say that although i don't think he's better as a Rangers, but so far he's playing like he did in his rookie year which was when he seemed to be very motivated.

Last edited by slackerracker: 12-22-2007 at 08:27 PM.
slackerracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Gomez was brought in to take the team to a whole new level?

I think you were grossly overrating him then.

He was brought in to help us score more goals/points...but to bring the team to a whole new level? Only an elite superstar can do that on his own.
Really? Gomez is certainly paid like he's an elite player and he was brought it as an upgrade over a player who scored over 175 points the last two years. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it usually is a duck.

I'm not complaining about him, just suggesting that he really hasn't done enough to be singled out as something special.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerracker View Post
Honestly from a Devils fan(not going to bash): He didn't play like this with us, it seems that New York has changed him, he def is playing alot harder shift to shift now, i haven't seen him take shifts off(well there was one game but it was only one), he just seems to be overall trying alot harder now then he did with the Devils. I still wouldn't of minded having him back in Jersey but not with the contract he got. Luckily for you guys, although it's a high contract, he seems to be producing pretty well. Well although i want to say i'm glad he's working out... i can't because well you're our rivals.
I like this post...

I like a good rival and a good rivalry... I live in TX where that **** doesnt exist except for college teams... you know, the Texans and Cowboys aint rivals... hahah.

Anyways, I was trying to explain to people how rivalries are great.. and how you can love and hate other teams and their fans for their intensity also...

I respect a good rival.. one who knows his shizz and who respects the adversary in return... its like an old code of honor.. its weird, but, thats how I feel.

So slacker..I ****ing hate you and your team.. but you're ok in my book!

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 10:49 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I was impressed by Gomez the first time I saw him excelerate up ice on Opening Night. The guy is a great skater, a consistent point-scorer and a very hard worker.

I think so far that he has clearly outplayed Drury although that's no knock against Drury. I think that at times he is trying too hard to earn his money and in turn, makes some mistakes - especially on defense.

While it wound up costing alot of money, and even though the team is currently struggling badly, these two guys are going to be worth the money and we are going to see that more and more as the season goes down the stretch.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:10 PM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The man has been playing lights out since about mid-October. He's been, by FAR, our best forward all year long.

Best pick-up the Rangers have had in a long, long time, in my honest opinion. I've never seen a guy hustle all game like he does on our team on the top lines outside of Marty Straka. It never seems like Gomez takes a break for a shift and flat out gives it his all each and every time he's on the ice. It's actually refreshing to see a player like that in the Rangers uniform since we're so used to the lazy ******* cast-aways that we signed in the past.

Gomez, if you keep playing like this every Rangers fan will love you. And I'll even buy your damn jersey.
SO agree... if u hook up "MOVE the puck" in wikipedia it should be a picture of him.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:32 AM
2Leetch_94
Skapski + Picks + CS

My only problem was that he always tried to force a pass and ended up turning it over to the other team with a pass....right to them. He's gotten much better as the season has gone on and since October....he's only failed to score a point in three games in November and December. He's obviously gaining more confidence as the season wears on and if he keeps shooting as well as passing, he'll be that much harder to defend off the rush since it's not an automatic "omgz, where's muh winger, I better pass it pass it!!!" - onto the stick blade of the opponent heading up ice.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 06:27 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
It's uncanny how Gomez cuts through defensemen like crazy, there's no blueline he can't swoop through. The only problem is someone needs to tag along every now and then to work some magic out of his fantastic skating. Doesn't happen often enough.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 09:15 PM
WheresBarnaby

As a avid Gomez hater while he was on the Devils, (not because he wasn't good, just cause he was good against my team) I've officially just changed my tune, with a gift certificate I recieved for Christmas...

http://shop.nhl.com/largeImage/index...p3881055dt.jpg

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Nice thread.. its been due for a while now.. he looks like he has found his comfort level... and things with Jagr seem to be gelling as well..

Still not a fan of the 7 Mill... but he is playing very well....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Karan

Easily the best forward this month and probably all season on the team. Way to go Gomer, for all the great effort and now finally getting rewarded for it with the consistent results.

Karan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 04:12 AM
TheZherdev

hes only been held pointless 3 times in the last 22 games. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 05:13 AM
redfzn

Can't forget Avery, as he is a forward as well..

BUT YES, Gomer has def been our most consistent producer this season.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 08:37 AM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
I don't think the contract is too bad for these reasons....

We now have a 1st line center to build around in the post-Jagr era, whether that comes next year or the year after remains to be seen.

Also, because of the length, I think toward the middle of the contract he won't really be that overpaid. The cap seems to be rising exponentially so perhaps by the 4th year he'll be at normal market value.

Last, given the new economic structure of the league, 1st line centers are going to be signed by teams long before their contracts actually expire. For example, I'd be surprised if Vinny wasn't locked up before it is time for him to test the open-market. Since we don't have any bluechip center in our farm, I think signing Gomez is the right move.

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote