HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I think Gomez deserves an appreciation thread.

Old
12-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Turambar

vCash: 500
When Slats signed the two of them on July 1st, I was actually rather unhappy about the Gomez signing in particular, especially with the outrageous dollar amount. I was always of the opinion that they should've signed Drury to play on the second line with Shanny, and leave the first line intact by resigning Nylander, then trading him away once Jagr left. But now that we're almost halfway through the season, Gomez has easily become one of my favorites on this team, if not the favorite, and he's been by far this team's best forward all season long. He struggled a bit to start, but he's really picked it up lately, and it looks like him and Jags are finally starting to click, which is great. I think that by the end of his contract, we'll all absolutely love the guy, he'll be an achor of this team for the next seven years. Drury on the other hand, I'm very disappointed in (please ignore the dangling participle). While Gomez has risen to the challange of trying to play up to his $7mil/yr contract, Drury seems to be wilting under the pressure of such a contract. Hopefully he'll break out of it sooner rather than later, but if this continues for the majority of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up asking for a trade. He doesn't seem comfortable.

Lastly, I have to mention something about the "clutch" label given to Drury. I think he was able to be so clutch because teams weren't really all that wary of his performances in such situations, and now that he basically single-handedly knocked the Rangers out of last year's playoffs by scoring to tie the game with 7.7 seconds left in the 3rd, and then being signed by the Rangers who hyped him up as this clutch player, now teams are becoming more focused on him at those times. I think when Drury is nosing around the net at these critical times, now teams are paying that much more attention to him because of this label he's been stamped with. It's like "I'm Chris Drury, I'm Captain Clutch and I'm going to score a goal when it matters most, so watch out", and the opposition now actually is watching out, which is why he can't do it as often. Hopefully come playoff time we'll really see more of his value in this sense.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote