HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Will we ever see a player hang onto the puck on a pk?

Old
12-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Will we ever see a player hang onto the puck on a pk?

We all remember Orr as a guy who took the puck went behind the net with it and skated circles around the rink and his net with the puck killing a penalty. Will we ever see that again?

To be honest that's a smart strategy. Players dump the puck in so quickly nowadays and while there's nothing wrong with that I always want to see a defenseman take the puck behind his net and elude a forward before slapping it the length of the ice. Just to kill off more valuable seconds.

Maybe players are afraid its hot dogging? I dont think it is, if the other team cant catch you how can it be? Or is it that confidence is lost on some players? Would they be afraid of taking it behind the net and running away from an opponent only to lose it and havea goal scored against them. There's players that can hang onto the puck on a PK longer than they do it but are they afraid of being nailed to the bench if they screw up? I'd like to see it more

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 05:56 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

People forget that Espo liked to rag it also but nowadays,don't see it.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 07:27 PM
V-2 Schneider

Forsberg, Federov and Carbonneau all could rag it for 20- 30 seconds and then get a whistle in the other end after they collapsed from exhaustion.

Then were some pk muckers who worked the boards and dared two players to strip the puck off them while they chewed up the clock.Mike McPhee was a marvel at this tactic.So was Chelios.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:12 AM
Nalyd Psycho

The proliferation of dump and chase hurt this style, but it is still viable, but it is risky if you fail.

12-23-2007, 02:29 AM
MarkusNaslund19

There's a Youtube clip of Tim Connolly doing that against the Islanders ( I believe) from a couple of years ago. Other than that I can't think of many stand-out 'ragging the puck' PK shifts in the last five or so years. Fedorov used to be a beast with that though.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote