HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: NYR Petr Prucha to CBJ for ___________

Old
12-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Choice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
No, actually, the Rangers don't need defense. They need scoring.
Yeah thats what makes me think Vyborny is one they are after. But they also need another defenseman to round out the top six.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
1.) Drury has a full NMC (No Movement Clause) which means he's a NYR for the life of the contract. He's also a life long Rangers fan and has wanted to come to NY for years.

2.) The Rangers didn't like what they saw from Peca's medical reports. By the looks of it, they guessed right. The guy has missed time on three seperate occassions already this season.

3.) Drury for Peca, not unless you add Brassard to that equation and I think we all know that's not going to happen. Even without the NMC, Drury is worth ALOT more than just Peca today.

4.) Even with Drury having such a bad season, he's still on pace to score approx. 54 points, which is 4 points short of his career annual average.

Drury was signed for a few reasons, he's an extremely tireless worker, comes to play every night and while some nights you won't see his name on the score sheet, he's more than likely affected the game in some fashion. He's a clutch player that scores goals in key moments and has done so throughout his career. He's a player our younger forwards can look up to and learn from in how to prepare yourself day in and day out.

Prucha, Malik and a 2nd for Klesla and Vyborny

for the record, I'm not a fan of this simply because I believe the Rangers need a more physical type forward on our top six, but I think that Sather believes that finding Jagr that 3rd component for his line with Straka (providing Jagr that comfort level again) is important for this teams success this season. The fact that Vyborny isn't a natural center is irrelevent in that the Czech system isn't designed for typical positional play rather it's designed more for a possession and constant cycling where knowing how to play in the offensive zone is more important than playing any one specific position.

I'm torn, on one hand I really like Vyborny, but I can't deny a shoot first type forward like Prucha would be a nice addition to this team. I think alot of folks here might jump at this deal based on the 28 games Vyborny has played this season. What I can't forget is what he did the 5 seasons leading up to this season, working his way up from the 4th line and 30 points to the top line the last 2 seasons and 60+ point production.

He would be good with Jagr, thats not speculation, but I still believe he's more valuable to us than a speculative gamble on a sophomore.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 08:59 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
I'm thinking this trade could be a four player deal. I'm sure the Rangers are looking to spring board off of Columbus a la Anaheim of last year. So how about....

Foote + Vyborny

for

Prucha + Mara

I think that New York has the cap space to make this deal if it's done right around mid-season.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 09:39 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Don't pretend to remotely know what a player is thinking. I can think of a couple of reasons why he might not waive his NTC.

1. He might want to finish what he started, and honor kind of thing.
2. He may, unlike you, believe we actually have a chance if we get healthy.
3. If I was going to waive my NTC, the NYR wouldn't be my first choice. They are struggling huge and they are hardly a "in" team to make the playoffs, never mind a run for the cup. There are 10 other teams I would choose before the Rangers, no offense to their fans.... They barely have a better record hanging out in the east.
Keep deluding yourself into believing that we're on equal footing with a team like the Rangers. Remind me, which team made the playoffs last year? And which team improved their team in the off-season.

The "struggling" Rangers are still 8th in the East and they play in what is probably the toughest division in the NHL. They are a team made up of guys who play up for the playoffs--Drury, Gomez and the much-maligned Jagr all play well when it counts. Some minor tinkering is all they need. Can you honestly say the same for our team?

As for the "when we get healthy" canard, when exactly will that be? We knew when we got Peca that he'd probably not make it through the season without injury problems--I don't see him staying healthier over the last hafl of the season than he did over the first. Vyborny is back in the lineup...for what its been worth. Malhotra hasn't been that good outside of the faceoff circle when healthy.

So, I suppose you are holding your breath that Modin will be our savior. Don't hold your breath too long. Modin's return doesn't change our defensive transition problems nor will it greatly change our power play woes.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 09:49 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Keep deluding yourself into believing that we're on equal footing with a team like the Rangers. Remind me, which team made the playoffs last year? And which team improved their team in the off-season.

The "struggling" Rangers are still 8th in the East and they play in what is probably the toughest division in the NHL. They are a team made up of guys who play up for the playoffs--Drury, Gomez and the much-maligned Jagr all play well when it counts. Some minor tinkering is all they need. Can you honestly say the same for our team?

As for the "when we get healthy" canard, when exactly will that be? We knew when we got Peca that he'd probably not make it through the season without injury problems--I don't see him staying healthier over the last hafl of the season than he did over the first. Vyborny is back in the lineup...for what its been worth. Malhotra hasn't been that good outside of the faceoff circle when healthy.

So, I suppose you are holding your breath that Modin will be our savior. Don't hold your breath too long. Modin's return doesn't change our defensive transition problems nor will it greatly change our power play woes.
Once again, you start chaging the subject... Where did I say anything about Modin being a savoir?

The Rangers have a better roster then us, on paper, which is completely and totally meaningless... Yes, they are holding onto the 8th spot, by a thread. Kind of like we were a week or two ago.

My point was there are numerous reasons why Foote might say no to the NYR. The only reason you can come up that he might is because they have a better roster on paper and are holding onto the 8th spot by a thread. If I had a NTC, I might wait until closer to the trade deadline and see where the team is at and what other teams might want me.

Enjoy the rest of your black and white day....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

I'd hate to see us make a move just to make a move. This isn't a smart move imo....assuming we are talking about Vyborny for Prucha basically.

Old
12-26-2007, 10:30 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I see where Vyborny makes sense for the Rangers, but count me in the camp with questions about Prucha.
There’s been plenty of talk this season about Hitch and his style and the players that play it and the players that don’t. Prucha strikes me a player who would not fit Hitch’s style.

In fact, if Vybes is on the outs for his inability to mesh with Hitch’s style, why would the CBJ replace him with someone who may be even less suited for the desired style of play here in Columbus?

If the CBJ are going to take a gamble on a guy who MIGHT start scoring or MAY return to previous glory, I think they’d gamble with someone more inline with Hitch’s sensibilities. At the very least, if that player can’t round into optimum form, they can fall back on the other parts of the game.

Do the NYR have any puck-moving dmen they’re willing to part with?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 12:33 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
The Fourth Period has the Rangers wanting Foote or Klesla (?!) and maybe Chimera or Vyborny for Prucha and maybe Marek or Mara. I'm not sure this is a good fit for the CBJ, but would be willing to trust Howson's judgement unless he deals Klesla. (I don't regard Klesla as untouchable, but I don't see anything of even approximately similar value mentioned as coming back.)

They also mention the Stoll rumors, and I'd rather hope that maybe the Rangers' interest will help get the Stoll deal back on track - he's a much better fit for our specific needs, IMNSHO

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Wease

This was just posted by Tom Reed on the CBJ Dispatch Blog:

"Also, within the hour Aaron Portzline will be blogging on possible trade talks heating up between the Blue Jackets and New York Rangers. One Czech could be saying hello, while another says goodbye."

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:11 PM
orangebarrelman

It's up now on the Blog

What happens if we trade Vybes or Klesla and suddenly they begin to have career seasons?

Just a bit gunshy after the season Modin has (or hasn't) had this year

orangebarrelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:14 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebarrelman View Post
It's up now on the Blog

What happens if we trade Vybes or Klesla and suddenly they begin to have career seasons?

Just a bit gunshy after the season Modin has (or hasn't) had this year
That's always the risk you take in a trade. I'd be willing to part with Vybes for Prucha (age and potential considerations). But Klesla is a no-go (IMO) in a trade with the Rangers unless we're getting someone like Tyutin.

I'm starting to take these rumors seriously now. Everything is aligning to see us make our first major move this year.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:20 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJF View Post
The Fourth Period has the Rangers wanting Foote or Klesla (?!) and maybe Chimera or Vyborny for Prucha and maybe Marek or Mara. I'm not sure this is a good fit for the CBJ, but would be willing to trust Howson's judgement unless he deals Klesla. (I don't regard Klesla as untouchable, but I don't see anything of even approximately similar value mentioned as coming back.)
As big a fan as I am of Rusty, I'm starting to think he is what he is. And if that's true - if this is as good as he's going to get - then I don't know that this is such a horrible deal. Granted, I don't think even for a second that Prucha is just what the doctor ordered, but it would at least be an attempt to fill both of the big holes we know we need to plug up: C and puck-moving D-man (Mara?), plus a steady if unspectacular (and aging) defenseman to take Rusty's place for a year or two. I don't like the idea of change-for-change's sake, and this has the feel of being that, but it's at least not an empty gesture of swapping crap for crap. There's a chance it would be a net gain for the team, and that's what I care about most at this point.

I guess what I'm saying is that if we have to move one of the draftees, Klesla is the most agreeable in my mind. And if we're looking to make a deal to try to address the issues, then this might be as good a trade as we can get for the pieces we're willing to part with.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Wease

You guys keep thinking Prucha. Has anyone thought about Martin Straka? He's a UFA, plays LW on the Rangers, but has played center before. He is a tireless worker and could fit well under Hitch's system, plus be the top center for the Jackets.

Per the blog:

Vyborny and Klesla for Prucha, Dawes and Paul Mara? Hmmm.

I'd like to think the Rangers are high on Dawes, he's been very good when he gets to play for them, and is tearing up the AHL. Here is what I came up with:

Straka
Prucha
Mara

for

Vyborny
Klesla
Chimera
A Pick

That might work for both teams, who knows. I'm a fan of both teams, so this is a crazy time right now...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Once again, you start chaging the subject... Where did I say anything about Modin being a savoir?
Let's take a look in the (not so) way back machine.

Quote:
2. He may, unlike you, believe we actually have a chance if we get healthy.
So, whose health were you talking about, exactly if not Modin? I've already ran through why the others are irrelevant. But keep wishing upon a star.

Quote:
My point was there are numerous reasons why Foote might say no to the NYR. The only reason you can come up that he might is because they have a better roster on paper and are holding onto the 8th spot by a thread.
The guy gets to say yes or no. He doesn't get to pick who wants him. He can sit around like you and "hope" or he can take the opportunity that comes to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I'd hate to see us make a move just to make a move. This isn't a smart move imo....assuming we are talking about Vyborny for Prucha basically.
I'm not in love with this trade by a long shot. Prucha isn't any more productive than Vyborny. Another example of us taking someone else's garbage and hoping we can turn it into gold.

Old
12-26-2007, 01:32 PM
FiveHole23

Rumor Heating up big time it seems.

Dawes into the mix now.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2007/12..._thawing.shtml

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:33 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
You guys keep thinking Prucha. Has anyone thought about Martin Straka? He's a UFA, plays LW on the Rangers, but has played center before. He is a tireless worker and could fit well under Hitch's system, plus be the top center for the Jackets.

Per the blog:

I'd like to think the Rangers are high on Dawes, he's been very good when he gets to play for them, and is tearing up the AHL. Here is what I came up with:

Straka
Prucha
Mara

for

Vyborny
Klesla
Chimera
A Pick

That might work for both teams, who knows. I'm a fan of both teams, so this is a crazy time right now...
If Straka is involved, then I'd be open to including Klesla in the deal. If the trade you propose above is what happens, and the pick involved is not a first-rounder, I'd be reasonably pleased.

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:34 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

Quote:

The Rangers have a better roster then us, on paper, which is completely and totally meaningless...
what? no. the better teams will perform better over a long period of time...like an 82 game schedule. we started out hot, good for us. our lack of skill and a few injuries have put us about where we belong.

and was it you who told me that modin's injuries weren't anything to worry about? that there was no reason to believe he wouldn't be 100% soon?

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:37 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
I don't like Portzline's proposal of Vyborny/Klesla for Prucha/Dawes/Mara at all. Seems like we should get a bit more out of Klesla than that (at least a draft pick) - otherwise, I wouldn't do the deal.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:40 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I’m at a point where I think I could live with a Klesla deal. Like Spoon said, I think the Klesla we’re seeing right now is the player he is going to be. That isn’t a bad thing, as he is a useful guy, but if a good opportunity knocks and Klesla is part of the price, I think I’d be okay with it.

I’ll say this though -- Prucha and Mara -- not the right price for me. I’d rather keep Vyborny and Klesla.

If Klesla is being talked about, I wonder if the Jackets might be doing any fishing for bigger fish. If they’re really talking Klesla and Vyborny in a deal for Prucha, why not slap Brule and 1st round pick (or other pieces) together too and see if they can’t catch something better?
Not saying it’ll work.

I could be wrong, but I think Klesla’s a decent trade chip. If they’re going to use him, I sure as hell hope they don’t use him for Prucha.

edit: I'm certainly open to the argument that I'm selling Prucha short, but I see a young guy moving in the wrong direction in the past 2.5 years at a time when he should improving. Plus, as I stated earlier, I'm skeptical he brings the defensive game Hitch wants -- then again, look at Nash and Zherdev and what they've done...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:44 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post

Per the blog:

Straka
Prucha
Mara

for

Vyborny
Klesla
Chimera
A Pick

To be honest, based on the rumors, I'd rather it was Straka, Dawes and Mara. Dawes is more intriguing to me than Prucha. For the folks who laughed at my half-serious mention of Avery, notice that Prucha has exactly one point more than Avery and doesn't have nearly the tenacity that Avery has. Not sure Chimera or a pick is necessary if we're giving them Vybes and Klesla (giving the Rangers some cap breathing room in the process).

I'm not super hot on Mara though he'd be an okay stop gap on defense. He's a UFA at season's end, he's overpaid for what he is and though TSN suggests he has power play skills, you wouldn't know it from his stats. But in deals of this type, you've got to look at he whole package and what's going the other way.

Old
12-26-2007, 01:46 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
edit: I'm certainly open to the argument that I'm selling Prucha short, but I see a young guy moving in the wrong direction in the past 2.5 years at a time when he should improving. Plus, as I stated earlier, I'm skeptical he brings the defensive game Hitch wants -- then again, look at Nash and Zherdev and what they've done...

I'm with you on this. Prucha is looking like damaged goods. Better be getting something significant in addition to him. And Mara, a UFA at season's end ain't enough.

Old
12-26-2007, 01:47 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Wow this trade talk is really heating up now... it almost sounds like something with the Rangers is going down for sure at midnight.

I would think with Dawes name being kicked around the Rangers are after Klesla for sure. In fact, Vyborny/Klesla is probably what they really want. I really don't want to see any of our young Czech players leave (especially Voracek). IMHO Vyborny + Klesla is an overpayment for Prucha + Mara.

Does Howson really want to move the last 2 original Blue Jackets in his first major GM trade? Maybe he wants to really clean house who knows?

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Nordique

If Vyborny's involved and the best thing coming in to town is Prucha....

Don't get desperate Scott, look beyond the last 28 games, at the true value of our assets. Vyborny would resign here at a discount, don't look that gift horse in the mouth. While his numbers this season have been a bad thing for the now, it can be a good thing for the future if it means he's willing to sign on for under 2 mill per.

As for Mara, if you think Berard was a nightmare in his own end, wait til you see Mara. Gretzky couldn't get rid of the guy fast enough.

Old
12-26-2007, 02:00 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
If Vyborny's involved and the best thing coming in to town is Prucha....

Don't get desperate Scott, look beyond the last 28 games, at the true value of our assets. Vyborny would resign here at a discount, don't look that gift horse in the mouth. While his numbers this season have been a bad thing for the now, it can be a good thing for the future if it means he's willing to sign on for under 2 mill per.

As for Mara, if you think Berard was a nightmare in his own end, wait til you see Mara. Gretzky couldn't get rid of the guy fast enough.
To me, Klesla is a bigger issue than Vyborny. In all honesty, David's days in the top 6 are numbered even if he re-signs this summer. And, again, David is free to come back here even if we trade him. Klesla may not be a true #1 defenseman, but what he is is a very reasonably priced top defenseman in a league where the price of defense isn't cheap.

Old
12-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Macster

I have a bad feeling about a potential trade. The reason being is that Marc Staal is the only player I'd want from them.

I liked Dawes when he was playing for the WJ team. I don't think I'd want him though. Mara? He isn't an upgrade over Klesla IMO. Veteran experience, nothing more. Prucha? Who knows maybe he can return to his 30 goal form.

Straka? Sure. I'd love that. He's a UFA at season's end so we wouldn't be on the hook with his contract.

I'm speaking purely as a fan here, throwing my hockey knowledge out the window, but I'd rather keep Vybes and Klesla than get guys I don't like from the Rags.

To summarize,

The guys I want: Staal, Straka

Guys I can live with leaving: Foote, Fedorov, Malholtra, Shelley, Westcott.

We need our picks, so I don't want them gone. We'll need our prospects as well. We don't really have enough depth anywhere throughout the system to be trading prospects.

So, I'll be pissed if guys who I haven't just listed are involved.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote