HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

RUMOR: NYR Petr Prucha to CBJ for ___________

Old
12-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Kostik

vCash: 500
Straka is going nowhere(atleast not for Vyborny) - he keeps Jagr going and happy.
And i think Sather is trying to get Jagr scoring, not to piss him

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 02:52 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
We need our picks, so I don't want them gone. We'll need our prospects as well. We don't really have enough depth anywhere throughout the system to be trading prospects.
I agree with that totally, and it's why I'm willing to now start thinking about deals involving Klesla. I don't think of him as a prospect anymore and it just seems to me like he's attained the level he's capable of. I totally agree that Voracek, Brass, Legein, et al (to include Brule, IMO) should be untouchable.

And while he's a bargain right now (I know it wasn't you who said that, Mac) that's only because we look at him and say "He's a #2 defenseman, but he's not making number 2 money". True enough, but is he a true #2? I think the growing concensus is that he's not; he's more like a 3 or 4 and if you look at it like that, he's not as much of a bargain (still a bargain, just not such a good one). Besides which, if we keep playing him like a #2, he'll want that kind of money in his next contract, even though he isn't a real #2. The only winning side to the CBJ keeping Rusty is if he takes another leap forward, similar to the one he took last year or the prior year, and I'm not convinced he's going to.

Further, I think a Klesla-style defenseman is the only place where we do have depth enought to consider a trade. You couldn't pry Brassard and Brule out of my hand with a crowbar and melted butter at this point, but when I look at the defensive side, I see Methot as a very servicable right-now replacement for Rusty. And Campbell, Plekhanov, Weber and a few others make me a lot more comfortable with the deal in the long view. Plus this year's first round is supposed to be heavy with defensive talent. So to me, if you have people saying "you can only have X if you give us Rusty", I'm tempted to take that deal simply because Rusty is not nearly as valuable/irreplaceable in the system as someone like Voracek would be.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebarrelman View Post
It's up now on the Blog

What happens if we trade Vybes or Klesla and suddenly they begin to have career seasons?
Ranger fans will have similar, well founded, fears about Prucha or Dawes.

Very hard to see either of those two go. Quite a gamble.

The scouts better be right

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Nordique

I think its funny/comical how both teams are so consumed by a desire to find the right guys to put on the ice with their superstars(Jagr and Nash) so as to get their superstars going.

We've tried about every faceoff capable forward as a Center for Nash, and NY appears ready to trade some young talent for the prospect of a Jagr complimentary Czech forward. Maybe it has less to do with who is on the ice with #68 and #61 and more to do with other factors, like health, defensive matchups, and fatigue.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
I agree with that totally, and it's why I'm willing to now start thinking about deals involving Klesla. I don't think of him as a prospect anymore and it just seems to me like he's attained the level he's capable of. I totally agree that Voracek, Brass, Legein, et al (to include Brule, IMO) should be untouchable.

And while he's a bargain right now (I know it wasn't you who said that, Mac) that's only because we look at him and say "He's a #2 defenseman, but he's not making number 2 money". True enough, but is he a true #2? I think the growing concensus is that he's not; he's more like a 3 or 4 and if you look at it like that, he's not as much of a bargain (still a bargain, just not such a good one). Besides which, if we keep playing him like a #2, he'll want that kind of money in his next contract, even though he isn't a real #2. The only winning side to the CBJ keeping Rusty is if he takes another leap forward, similar to the one he took last year or the prior year, and I'm not convinced he's going to.

Further, I think a Klesla-style defenseman is the only place where we do have depth enought to consider a trade. You couldn't pry Brassard and Brule out of my hand with a crowbar and melted butter at this point, but when I look at the defensive side, I see Methot as a very servicable right-now replacement for Rusty. And Campbell, Plekhanov, Weber and a few others make me a lot more comfortable with the deal in the long view. Plus this year's first round is supposed to be heavy with defensive talent. So to me, if you have people saying "you can only have X if you give us Rusty", I'm tempted to take that deal simply because Rusty is not nearly as valuable/irreplaceable in the system as someone like Voracek would be.
Great points Spoon.

While I'd personally like to keep Rusty, knowing that our first rounder will almost undoubtedly be a blue liner would make a trade involving Klesla easier to swallow.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 04:03 PM
CapnCornelius

I'm not opposed to trading Rusty, but if we're getting Mara back as his replacement, there's one big problem for next off-season: re-placing 4 UFA defensemen. That would be one heck of a task and could eat up a lot of the cap savings of the Foote and Fedorov contracts coming off the books. Hejda, Hainsey, Mara and Foote. That would leave Russell and OKT as the only part of our top 6 signed through next season. Even if you want to pen in Methot, that's 3 guys to re-sign or replace.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I'm not opposed to trading Rusty, but if we're getting Mara back as his replacement, there's one big problem for next off-season: re-placing 4 UFA defensemen. That would be one heck of a task and could eat up a lot of the cap savings of the Foote and Fedorov contracts coming off the books. Hejda, Hainsey, Mara and Foote. That would leave Russell and OKT as the only part of our top 6 signed through next season. Even if you want to pen in Methot, that's 3 guys to re-sign or replace.
Another good point.

Maybe the CBJ could get a dman back who is under contract? I have no doubt the NYR will guard Staal with their life, but they also have Tyutin and Girardi as young guys with some upside who'd still be under contract.
If not them, maybe they have a d propsect lurking in the wings that the CBJ could grab.

I'd be willing to throw Rusty in a deal with the NYR, if one of those guys were coming back.
It is hard to give him up though when Mara is only dman coming back.

Of course, maybe the CBJ brass have other irons in the fire too that could address this issue.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 04:19 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
I think you can pencil Hjeda in as a resign, probably even before the end of the season.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Another good point.

Maybe the CBJ could get a dman back who is under contract? I have no doubt the NYR will guard Staal with their life, but they also have Tyutin and Girardi as young guys with some upside who'd still be under contract.
If not them, maybe they have a d propsect lurking in the wings that the CBJ could grab.

I'd be willing to throw Rusty in a deal with the NYR, if one of those guys were coming back.

Of course, maybe the CBJ brass have other irons in the fire too that could address this issue.
I'd be shocked and appalled to see Tyutin or Girardi go anywhere. Some D prospects with NHL-upsides are Ivan Baranka or Michael Sauer. I'd hate to see Sauer traded though.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Renion

Klesla will have a career year if he ever learns how to play with an edge every game. It's when he's playing big and somewhat nasty that he looks dominant. We haven't seen that often.

Vyborny just needs someone who can handle his passes, on a team that understands there's more that goes into offensive opportunities than hard work--as I'm glad Hitch seems to finally be realizing.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 06:13 PM
123jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Another good point.

I like the concept of an "already under contract guy" coming back our way, but don't know if the economics would allow it. I'm reading that the Rangers are $2.2M under the cap, so if Vyborney and Klesla go their way (at, roughly, $3.675M) they'd want to send at least that much in salary back to the CBJ. Unless, of course, they have something else cooking with another team that gets them back under the cap. Who, or what, that might be I have no idea.

123jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 06:34 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123jp View Post
I like the concept of an "already under contract guy" coming back our way, but don't know if the economics would allow it. I'm reading that the Rangers are $2.2M under the cap, so if Vyborney and Klesla go their way (at, roughly, $3.675M) they'd want to send at least that much in salary back to the CBJ. Unless, of course, they have something else cooking with another team that gets them back under the cap. Who, or what, that might be I have no idea.
I'm not opposed to taking a contract like Mara or Malik in return. Columbus can afford that, but I'd want something more enticing coming back to Columbus with it.
For me, Prucha isn't that.

No way do I want to see Columbus trade Vyborny AND Klesla for the privledge of roling the dice with Prucha and taking on an overpriced short timer. I think the NYR get the two best players in that deal. Prucha might have the biggest upside, but I also think he has the biggest risk and, as I've said a few times here, count me among those who is pretty skeptical of Prucha's future.

Putting Dawes in there makes it more enticing, but not enough for me.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 06:52 PM
MFRONE

No reason to trade Klesla especially if he's not an UFA until 2010. Even if his play has plateaued, at his salary he would still make a decent 4/5/6 dman (and cost less then anyone to replace him).

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
CapnCornelius

Hey, if we want to trade, why not give Boston a call? If you believe the papers, Phil Kessel is available.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...y_drop/?page=2

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 07:48 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Let's take a look in the (not so) way back machine.

So, whose health were you talking about, exactly if not Modin? I've already ran through why the others are irrelevant. But keep wishing upon a star.

The guy gets to say yes or no. He doesn't get to pick who wants him. He can sit around like you and "hope" or he can take the opportunity that comes to him.

I'm not in love with this trade by a long shot. Prucha isn't any more productive than Vyborny. Another example of us taking someone else's garbage and hoping we can turn it into gold.
When is the last time we have had a healthy team? Malhotra is back out. Peca has been out. Modin has been out. Wescott as been out (a healthy, productive, Wescott could be very beneficial). Vyborny has been out, he's not even back to the sad level he was before he was injured.

This team has had a lot of key injuries. When you are losing a bunch of games by a single goal, you can tend to have hope that when we get the guys back we can put a string together....

Whatever dude...

Who cares about Prucha? I'm not for or against that move. There's worse players and I would give them Vybes in a minute for him. Not that I think he's a world beater, but at this point Vybes is almost useless... Like tonight.

Last edited by blahblah: 12-26-2007 at 07:54 PM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
There's worse players and I would give them Vybes in a minute for him. Not that I think he's a world beater, but at this point Vybes is almost useless... Like tonight.
You think he played bad tonight? You watch hockey much?

Old
12-26-2007, 08:52 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
You think he played bad tonight? You watch hockey much?
He was not good... He had one good pass, generated nothing offensively, and played some ok defense. He was not physical and didn't play strong on the boards, in the corners, or with the puck. He can barely skate better then Beech, right now.

Basically what I am used to from Vybes this year.

Old
12-26-2007, 09:06 PM
DJAnimosity
#BattleOn

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Trade rumors update: We've been told that no trade between the Blue Jackets and Rangers is in the works. The two teams have talked, but nothing has been agreed upon and nothing will be announced when the roster freeze is lifted.

About the roster freeze: turns out the freeze is in effect until midnight Thursday night, not tonight (Wednesday).

So rest easy, Blue Jackets fans. Nobody's going and nobody's coming ... at least for now.
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Nordique

Quote:
He was not good... He had one good pass, generated nothing offensively, and played some ok defense. He was not physical and didn't play strong on the boards, in the corners, or with the puck. He can barely skate better then Beech, right now.

Basically what I am used to from Vybes this year.
He was good, solid forechecking, worked very well with his linemates. That line was our best imo, and all three of them were on the ice 21+ minutes...thats insane ice time so the coach must have liked what he saw. Physically, I thought Vyborny looked healthy again.

Old
12-26-2007, 10:50 PM
blahblah

Quote:
He was good, solid forechecking, worked very well with his linemates. That line was our best imo, and all three of them were on the ice 21+ minutes...thats insane ice time so the coach must have liked what he saw. Physically, I thought Vyborny looked healthy again.
He had no forecheck.... He's linemates were far, far, far, better then he was. He was slow, very slow. He was along for the ride...

Old
12-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Cyborg Yzerman

i saw a game improvement from vibes, but nothing that stood out, and I looked for him tonight

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Nordique

Quote:
He had no forecheck.... He's linemates were far, far, far, better then he was. He was slow, very slow. He was along for the ride...
If he was "along for the ride" he'd have been bumped to the 4th line and gotten 5 minutes TOI. He had 2 hits on the books, 2nd only to Beech. You and I watched different games I guess.

Next you're going to tell me Fedorov didn't have a good game.

Last edited by Nordique: 12-26-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old
12-26-2007, 11:19 PM
blahblah

Quote:
If he was "along for the ride" he'd have been bumped to the 4th line and gotten 5 minutes TOI. He had 2 hits on the books, 2nd only to Beech. You and I watched different games I guess.

Next you're going to tell me Fedorov didn't have a good game.
Actually, I thought that was one of Feds better games.

What do 2 hits have to do with anything? His "hits" wouldn't hurt me. Hits are meaningless. A lot of hits aren't even recorded as hits.

The other 2 lines were playing well, there was little reason to switch it up. It's not like you were going to bump Shelly or Brule up there. We aren't exactly loaded on the RW.

Old
12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Actually, I thought that was one of Feds better games.

What do 2 hits have to do with anything? His "hits" wouldn't hurt me. Hits are meaningless. A lot of hits aren't even recorded as hits.

The other 2 lines were playing well, there was little reason to switch it up. It's not like you were going to bump Shelly or Brule up there. We aren't exactly loaded on the RW.
Brule was supposed to play RW on the first line till Nash was scratched. After that, he got his usual 5 minutes.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:35 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
Brule was supposed to play RW on the first line till Nash was scratched. After that, he got his usual 5 minutes.
Yep, we are hurting right now with Nash, Peca, and Malhotra out.

We've seen Brule get upper line minutes with very little speciality play and then as the game wears on his time get's reduced when we are trying to catch up or protect a lead. You can't leave Brule out there in either situation, right now. If Brule was doing anything right now, he could serioulsy eat into Vyborny's minutes.

Either way, the lines are all wacked out. Your gonna run Vybes into the ground because he's, at least, fairly responsible defensively. Beyond that, he offers nothing, right now, in the way of offense. I don't think I've seen anyone crash and burn like this in quite a while.

Too bad really.