HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Draft day: Crosby or Lindros?

View Poll Results: Draft day: Crosby vs. Lindros
Crosby 27 32.53%
Lindros 56 67.47%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Draft day: Crosby or Lindros?

Okay lets forget that Lindros is a borderline Hall of Famer and that his career didnt live up to expectations. Think back to 1991. Some people hated him already but a lot liked him and no one denied his talent and dominance. Crosby was the same way. In 2005 he was like Lindros head and shoulders above the rest of the draft class. No one denied he was a franchise player either. So imagine if you are a GM and you can pick one of them. Ignore Lindros' meddling parents and his attitude and base it just on their play. Who was more dominant in their last seasons of Junior. Who would you have picked?

Crosby - 62games 66g-102a-168 points
Lindros - 57games 71g-78a-149 points

Offensively you give Crosby the edge slightly. He averaged 2.70 PPG while Lindros had 2.61 PPG. Lindros scored more goals, hit more and was more physical. Both won Gold at the WJC that year and both were big players on their team although Lindros may have been more dominant. Who was better?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 12:07 PM
John Flyers Fan

Just based on play on the ice, I'll take Lindros.

Offense nearly identical, and Lindros brings the added physical element.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Grave77digger

This cant turn out well

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Fighter
Welcome back Hampus!

vCash: 865
It's unfair we know how it ended for Lindros while Crosby has the future ahead of me, but I take Lindros no matter what: you can't match his physical dominance and set of skills.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Wrigley
Proud father

vCash: 50
I'll take the guy who put up these numbers.

1977-78 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHA 64 70 112 182 14

Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 12:52 PM
cbj21

Lindros

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:30 PM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post

Ha...way to dodge the question.

I'll take Lindros by the way.

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:41 PM
FissionFire

Lindros easily. Both were great players in juniors but Eric brought a level of dominance and intimidation that Crosby can't match.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 05:04 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

if you only saw them as teenagers, you'd be crazy not to take lindros.

the real question: if you were quebec in '91 and both crosby and lindros were available, who would you take? would you call lindros's bluff? would you take the kid out of the Q? would you take lindros and then trade him to the team with the second overall pick?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 05:12 PM
cupcrazyman
Chex Lemeneux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post

did that player ever go one & play professionally ?

to answer your question,Sidney Crosby .

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Northern Dancer

Based on Junior careers only (not what we know now) it would be Lindros over Crosby, Lindros over Gretzky, Lindros over Lemieux. Cannot think of any player who would come close to Lindros.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
It's unfair we know how it ended for Lindros while Crosby has the future ahead of me, but I take Lindros no matter what: you can't match his physical dominance and set of skills.
Its not unfair, the question has NOTHING to do with what they did in the NHL.

Old
12-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Its not unfair, the question has NOTHING to do with what they did in the NHL.
yes, but people will not be able to simply let that slip from their mind.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Based on Junior careers only (not what we know now) it would be Lindros over Crosby, Lindros over Gretzky, Lindros over Lemieux. Cannot think of any player who would come close to Lindros.
Wow those last two are a stretch. Gretzky had 182 points as a 16 year old. I can only assume if he stayed in the OHL that the number would be in the neighbourhood of 250 points. And Lemieux? 282 points? You'd take Lindros over him? Lindros wasnt even in the same universe as Lemieux. Hey look physical play or not, Lindros' other skills cant make up for that many points lost. Lemieux had 133 goals in his draft year alone, almost as many points as Lindros had. I agree with the Crosby thing but Lemieux?

Old
12-23-2007, 06:39 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
if you only saw them as teenagers, you'd be crazy not to take lindros.

the real question: if you were quebec in '91 and both crosby and lindros were available, who would you take? would you call lindros's bluff? would you take the kid out of the Q? would you take lindros and then trade him to the team with the second overall pick?
Another good question... Do you draft...
- Something that nets you Forsberg, Hextall, Huffman, Duschene, and al...
- Crosby.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 06:41 PM
MXD

And... Crosby. The dude was very popular in Quebec... Could have been the face of the franchise, and could have meant the team was saved.... who knows?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Wow those last two are a stretch. Gretzky had 182 points as a 16 year old. I can only assume if he stayed in the OHL that the number would be in the neighbourhood of 250 points. And Lemieux? 282 points? You'd take Lindros over him? Lindros wasnt even in the same universe as Lemieux. Hey look physical play or not, Lindros' other skills cant make up for that many points lost. Lemieux had 133 goals in his draft year alone, almost as many points as Lindros had. I agree with the Crosby thing but Lemieux?
Well if you went on points alone then Bruce Boudreau would have been a Hall of Famer.

Lindros was the most dominent player in the 1991 Canada Cup as an 18 year old who had NOT even played one NHL game up until then. He scored three goals and two assists. He knocked both Ulf Samuelsson and Martin Rucinsky out of the tournament with broken collarbones on crushing hits.

I stand by my comment that based on junior careers alone, based on watching each of them play that without a shadow of a doubt Lindros would be ahead of ANY other player.

Old
12-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Death of a Martian

I can't see how Lindros wouldn't run away with this poll.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Based on how good they looked as 17/18 year olds, I'd take Lindros over Gretzky, Lemieux or Crosby. Damn, he looked incredible. The absolute total package.

But again, that's why I'm not an NHL GM

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 09:51 AM
04' hockey

lindros

How can you not pick a guy who had his own Hockey News publication/edition.

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Well if you went on points alone then Bruce Boudreau would have been a Hall of Famer.

Lindros was the most dominent player in the 1991 Canada Cup as an 18 year old who had NOT even played one NHL game up until then. He scored three goals and two assists. He knocked both Ulf Samuelsson and Martin Rucinsky out of the tournament with broken collarbones on crushing hits.

I stand by my comment that based on junior careers alone, based on watching each of them play that without a shadow of a doubt Lindros would be ahead of ANY other player.
Yeah but almost 140 points difference? We arent talking 20-30 points. Lindros brought a lot to the table I'll admit as a junior but not THAT much that he made up for Lemieux's numbers. Mario would kill you just alone with his offense. What was it a 57 game point streak he had in the QMJHL? That's just unreal. Averaging 4 points a game. Think about that on an average game he was in on 4 of his team's goals. Lindros didnt have that dominance. Great yes, but definitely a notch below Mario. Plus when the 1984 Canada Cup roster was announced it was later discovered that Eagleson regretted not putting Mario on that team

Old
12-24-2007, 12:55 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Yeah but almost 140 points difference? We arent talking 20-30 points. Lindros brought a lot to the table I'll admit as a junior but not THAT much that he made up for Lemieux's numbers. Mario would kill you just alone with his offense. What was it a 57 game point streak he had in the QMJHL? That's just unreal. Averaging 4 points a game. Think about that on an average game he was in on 4 of his team's goals. Lindros didnt have that dominance. Great yes, but definitely a notch below Mario. Plus when the 1984 Canada Cup roster was announced it was later discovered that Eagleson regretted not putting Mario on that team
Don't forget how much higher scoring the Q was back then. From Lemieux's draft year to Lindros's, the QMJHL point leader averaged 197 points, while the OHL's leading scorer averaged 146.

It's still a big edge offensively for Lemieux, but I think it's something that could be mitigated by a better all-around game. What really works for Lemieux is that he was a big strong kid on top of all his skill. Then again, Lindros was so physically dominant that it had teams drooling over the possibilites. I could see both Lindros and Lemieux being drafted ahead of Gretzky.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Lindros would have been drafted over every single 18 year old player since the draft began except perhaps Mario Lemieux. People forget how freaking huge and hyped he was. 30 of 30 GMs would go for Lindros over Crosby. Mario... well some GMs would have gone with him but many would have still taken Lindros.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Passchendaele

How many scoring championships did Lindros win?

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 02:43 PM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
How many scoring championships did Lindros win?
He won 1, in 90-91. That's one less than Crosby, who won it back to back years in the Q. However, Lindros was spending time playing on real best on best national teams and dominating.

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote