HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury

Old
12-23-2007, 01:01 PM
nyr489

vCash: 500
Chris Drury

Does anyone else think signing Drury was a mistake? Even when they just signed him and Gomez I knew Gomez would be much better and Drury is definitely not a 7+ mil/yr player. I think the Rangers bought into how clutch he is and how he is a "winner". This may be true of Drury, but the bottom line is he is just not very talented and is not a good skater. He is solid in front of the net and is great on the defensive side of the puck, as well as the penalty kill. But his skill set does not warrant the contract which he got. He is going to get paid more than true #1 centers like Spezza, Getzlaf, and Jokinen. I realize that these players were not signed to their contracts as UFA, but Drury does not come close to them as far as production or talent goes. I like Drury as an above average center, but he is just not worth what he got, and this will bite us in the future. Thoughts?

nyr489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 01:05 PM
broadwayblue

I don't think there is one person on this board who thought Drury was a 7m player. That said, he is a talented player, so I don't agree with your assessment there. Drury himself is not happy with his performance...and I don't think we've seen anything close to his best play yet.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 01:06 PM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
I don't think the signing itself was a mistake, but the contract was. He is being overpaid, I think. But he is indeed a "winner" (whatever that truly means), and I think his presence will definitely be felt in the future.

However it's just not panning out right now for whatever reason. I think it amounts to a new enviornment where he's brought in as a leader, but the leadership roles on the team seem to be filled. I think Drury is best in an on and off the ice leadership roles, and he strives from that. With Jagr, Straka, and Shanny having been on the team previous to him, I'm sure he's finding trouble stepping in, and therefore perhaps not fitting in which is why he's struggling on the ice.

With all that said, he has a lengthy contract and I think if we don't see him starting to come out of this funk come playoff time, he will most definitely rise out of it at the beginning of next year. He seems like an intelligent guy, and I think his struggle lies all in his mind right now. We all saw what he could do last year in our series against the Sabres, and I'm not just talking about that 7.7 seconds left goal. Personally I think he'll snap out of it, it'll just amount to the right linemates, and perhaps a change in our playstyle as a team, which I feel is coming in the near future if we don't start winning games.

Yes, he is being overpaid, but sometimes thats just what you have to do as a GM to get players who you think will have the impact on a team that you want.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 01:07 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I dont know how but the guy has scored 30 goals in more then one season, so there must be a side of this guy we have yet seen. I think he plays his best hockey with speedier players around him, like afinogenov/vanek and briere etc. So to me, Drury alongside Gomez would work pretty well.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 01:13 PM
TheHotRock

^agreed. I think that eventually Drury and Gomez will be linemates....probably next season, and they'll look really nice together. Drury doesn't really create his own offense....Gomez, Drury and a guy like Raffi Torres would be a very effective line.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Choice

Hell yeah I think it was a mistake. They could have signed someone for $2 mil to do what Drury is doing now. At least he'll have plenty of time in NY to try and turn it around...

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 01:25 PM
gmanwrx

think about it this way, hockey is the only sport that isnt get the big bucks.
now that they are starting too, u expect so much out of those players.
they are playing for nyc...... look how much players getting playing for nyc teams in other sports.

drury in my book is worth every penny.

drury, gomez , avery, henrik are who the rangers are going to be built around in the future..

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Alcoolique*

7millions is wayyy too much for a player ala Drury.

Maybe... 5.5millions would make sense.. But.. He was on the UFa market. So... Sather had to bid him(Pretty sure Dean Lombardi was offering him the same or more than the Rangers were offering to Chris,.)

The Rags were in need of two centers, now they've got them. Except,they're not playing up to their talent(Gomez is playing good.. But , like the whole Ranger team, he should play better,) Drury isn't playing up to his talent neither to his contract.

The best thing to do is.. Wait.

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 01:51 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I wanna see what everyone says about Drury when the year start winding down.

Yes, he was expensive, but thats the market. Drury has had a BAD year and he still is on pace for around 60-70 points. This guy is a winner, he'll turn it around, you can bet on that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I wanna see what everyone says about Drury when the year start winding down.

Yes, he was expensive, but thats the market. Drury has had a BAD year and he still is on pace for around 60-70 points. This guy is a winner, he'll turn it around, you can bet on that.
You could say that about Gomez. He was expensive but we need him and that's what the market was. I don't think we really need Drury.

Old
12-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Drury will shine in the playoffs.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersIn2008 View Post
Does anyone else think signing Drury was a mistake? Even when they just signed him and Gomez I knew Gomez would be much better and Drury is definitely not a 7+ mil/yr player. I think the Rangers bought into how clutch he is and how he is a "winner". This may be true of Drury, but the bottom line is he is just not very talented and is not a good skater. He is solid in front of the net and is great on the defensive side of the puck, as well as the penalty kill. But his skill set does not warrant the contract which he got. He is going to get paid more than true #1 centers like Spezza, Getzlaf, and Jokinen. I realize that these players were not signed to their contracts as UFA, but Drury does not come close to them as far as production or talent goes. I like Drury as an above average center, but he is just not worth what he got, and this will bite us in the future. Thoughts?
Yea, sure you did.

I'm not even talking about production. We've got this year and 4 more of Drury, and 6 more of Gomez. Way too early to start saying it was a mistake.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

signing NO

contract REMAINS TO BE SEEN

Chris Drury will, or won't, earn his $$$ in the playoffs.

As long as he gets those BIG goals in the playoffs thats really all that matters

Not to say he can **** the bed for 82 games, but he'll be proven a good or bad signing by what happens in the playoffs

12-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

vCash: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
I think Drury will shine in the playoffs.
What makes you so sure were even getting that far?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hplaya94 View Post
What makes you so sure were even getting that far?
You don't think we'll make it even once during the next 5 years?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

if they dont make the playoffs, Chris Drury is the least of their problems

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:26 PM
AXN

I don't know why Drury is on the third line most of the year. He did well with Dawes and Prucha until Dawes got sent down and Callahan replaced him. I like to see him with Avery and Shanahan. Maybe let Avery play center.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
if the hockey season ended in March, there is no way that Drury would have gotten even close to $7 million

that being said, he's been very bad so far

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You don't think we'll make it even once during the next 5 years?
Haha. Five years out of the playoffs? Unthinkable.

Old
12-23-2007, 03:36 PM
severian

Drury is on pace for 57 points this season. Thats right around his career numbers. The guy has never scored 70 points in a season in the NHL and just throwing $7 million a season at him isn't going to change that. That being said, the guy has gotten a lot of huge goals in the playoffs with the Avs and the Sabres, and the reasoning for bringing him to the Rangers was to get a gritty playoff performer. You can't judge Drury's contract based on 35 games in the regular season. If he scored 35 points this year and has a miserable playoff I can understand you guys getting on him. Until then, I think you have t wait and see before passing judgment.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:37 PM
isles20*

Drury is a talented player but more like a 4-5M guy. His stats were inflated by that great Buffalo team last year.

isles20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:40 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
If he plays like this during the post-all-star to playoffs period, I'd have to agree but if you look at his numbers, he's on pace for around his usually production. Renney just needs to use him up front more on the PP where he was quite successful in Buffalo. But we're talking about the guy who wouldn't use Matt Cullen on the points here.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyelias View Post
Drury is on pace for 57 points this season. Thats right around his career numbers. The guy has never scored 70 points in a season in the NHL and just throwing $7 million a season at him isn't going to change that. That being said, the guy has gotten a lot of huge goals in the playoffs with the Avs and the Sabres, and the reasoning for bringing him to the Rangers was to get a gritty playoff performer. You can't judge Drury's contract based on 35 games in the regular season. If he scored 35 points this year and has a miserable playoff I can understand you guys getting on him. Until then, I think you have t wait and see before passing judgment.
Sounds like an unbiased opinion to me. From a Devil-headed level fan no less.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:58 PM
nyr489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Yea, sure you did.

I'm not even talking about production. We've got this year and 4 more of Drury, and 6 more of Gomez. Way too early to start saying it was a mistake.
Yeah I did because Gomez is much more talented and a much better offensive player than Drury. Gomez can make the players around him better, while Drury is reliant on his linemates. Gomez played on the Devils and still put up almost a point per game over his last 3 seasons with the Devils. Drury, on the other hand, played on a stacked Buffalo team last year and in the last 3 seasons with Buffalo was averaging about 0.80 points/game (compared to Gomez's 0.92 on an extremely defensive minded team).

nyr489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Yeah I did because Gomez is much more talented and a much better offensive player than Drury. Gomez can make the players around him better, while Drury is reliant on his linemates. Gomez played on the Devils and still put up almost a point per game over his last 3 seasons with the Devils. Drury, on the other hand, played on a stacked Buffalo team last year and in the last 3 seasons with Buffalo was averaging about 0.80 points/game (compared to Gomez's 0.92 on an extremely defensive minded team).
Sure it's alot of money but we shouldn't measure all success in points scored per game

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote