HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury

Old
12-24-2007, 02:39 PM
rangers4ever2007

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
It's not going to unless the cap somehow goes DOWN next year.

Jagr, Shanny, Straka, Malik, Mara are all coming off the books.

There will be more than enough to re-sign Henke, Avery, Tyutin, and Rozy.
i hope..

but i dunno about jagr and mara off the books unless AC and bobby sang. are ready by then

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 02:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Drury will be 35 years old when his contract expires.The same age as Nylander is right now and some people wanted the Rangers to met his demands.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 02:54 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Well Gomez has been exactly what we expected.
Already tied last year seasons high of 9 goals.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 02:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dean Lombardi Q&A

Quote:
Q: Right. I didn't so much mean your own shortcomings, just maybe a guy like Drury who slipped through the cracks.

A: But then again, to be honest, if you had to do the seven (million for Drury), then you couldn't spread the money out and fill the other holes. I've debated that myself. I'm certainly not sure I wanted to go to 7.3 (million), even if it wasn't that he wanted to go to the Rangers. So you try to be objective about it, and I think I kind of like the idea of filling a number of holes. Maybe a year or two from now, when more holes are filled, it makes more sense to say, ``OK, let's give all the money to one guy.'' I'm not sure if this doesn't end up making us better, but I can't deny that we were involved in it
http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200..._part_3_1.html

Drury received $7.05 million from the Rangers.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 03:49 PM
nyr489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fata View Post
You obviously have not followed his career with the Avs and Buffalo and have no room to speak. That's all that needs to be said. Go back and watch old games and then come here and say he has no talent.

He has the Rangers curse hanging over him, everybody that comes to this organization does. It's like asking for somebody to end your career.
Have you seen Drury this year? I'm sure Bobby Holik was once a decent skater as well. Drury brings intangibles to this team but he just isn't an elite center as his salary suggests. Who cares what he did in Colorado or Buffalo? The point is he isn't getting any younger or better with the NY Rangers. Look at Ranger games this year and try to come up with anything that suggests he is a supreme talent.

nyr489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 03:58 PM
300mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
The gomez signing was actually a good signing. He has been our best player practically all season.

Drury is overpaid but is actually putting up points close to his career avg. He is just putting up more assists than avg but less goals.

The biggest problem is that the fans and media overhyped both players. Everybody made them out to bee superstars that we signed. Gomez can be a star player. Drury was never a star player. He is a solid player but not a star nor a savior to a franchise. Plus I still think he is a better winger than a center. Problem is we don't have anyother centers on this team so we have to play him as a center. The expectations we had for both of these players (myself included) were just unrealistic. They both are putting in seasons that will be right by there by their career avgs.

We got what we paid for. Unfortunately we paid too much (especially drury) but that's the game of free agency. You always overpay, its just a matter of how much you do.
i think this is an excellent assessment.

300mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Already tied last year seasons high of 9 goals.
ha yup, I'm completely satisfied with what Gomez has done this year. He hasn't dominated, but nobody expected him to.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 04:33 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I also thought that Gomez was going to be more worth his contract than Drury, as I envisioned him tearing the league apart with Straka and Jagr. Scotty's confidence is finally there, and Jagr is being a malcontent again because Nylander is gone, so Scotty's trying to run a one-man show offensively, and that just doesn't work.

I thought any higher than 5.5 for Drury was a little too much, but he could end up being worth it with a big playoff. That's why Drury is different. He's like the Jeter to the Rangers. He's skilled, and has a TON of intangibles. So we'll have to wait for playoff time.

I don't think either player has been bad so far. Drury can't be expected to produce playing on the 3rd line in a checking role like he has for most of this season. It's just not logical. Tom Renney needs to learn how to coach a damn team, put together a good line, and stick with it even when they're struggling.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Fletch

What I've noticed about Drury...

is he doesn't elevate other players' games. He needs to play good players to be successful because he needs to be carried a bit, which is why he and Prucha weren't a good fit. Prucha needs a centerman who can create space for him and get him the puck. Drury needs a winger to create space for him. I think a poster from Buffalo observed the same while in Buffalo. Played well with Afinigenov, but not well with lesser players. This is not a knock on Drury, but it is an indictment of the contract he was given. You give $7MM to guys who will carry other guys, not guys who need other guys.

Hopefully I'm wrong on this. Was always a big fan of his because he seemed to work hard, do the little things and get those timely goals. I never noticed others paving a lot of the way for him, and perhaps they weren't, but I'm a bit worried nonetheless.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Fletch

Coldshot...

Gomez has easily been this team's best offensive player this season. He's been very consistent, despite a slow start. He's gotten Jagr going recently and is all over the ice and elevated the game of others.

Old
12-24-2007, 10:36 PM
SChan*

Drury is the most overrated player ever for his salary. He skated with Forsberg for most of his career and sucked ever since he was gone from Avs.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 10:52 PM
nyr489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is he doesn't elevate other players' games. He needs to play good players to be successful because he needs to be carried a bit, which is why he and Prucha weren't a good fit. Prucha needs a centerman who can create space for him and get him the puck. Drury needs a winger to create space for him. I think a poster from Buffalo observed the same while in Buffalo. Played well with Afinigenov, but not well with lesser players. This is not a knock on Drury, but it is an indictment of the contract he was given. You give $7MM to guys who will carry other guys, not guys who need other guys.

Hopefully I'm wrong on this. Was always a big fan of his because he seemed to work hard, do the little things and get those timely goals. I never noticed others paving a lot of the way for him, and perhaps they weren't, but I'm a bit worried nonetheless.
Exactly. Great post, Fletch. I don't think Drury is absolutely awful because I do realize he does do a lot of the little things necessary for the team to be successful. But his inability to dominate a game and make everyone around him better is what is stopping him from being an elite center.

nyr489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 11:30 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChan View Post
Drury is the most overrated player ever for his salary. He skated with Forsberg for most of his career and sucked ever since he was gone from Avs.
Yeah, the guy's played 8 and 1/2 seasons, 4 with Forsberg on the same team in which he didn't notch 30 goals once, but somehow he sucks after going to Buffalo and notching 67 goals in two seasons, all this while playing extraordinary defense. Yeah, he really sucks, this guy is nothing without Forbserg.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
I hate all this talk of so-and-so being overpaid. The fact of the matter is, a player is worth as much as someone is willing to spend. Are there players who make less who produce more? Sure, but that doesn't mean anything.

I think maybe the one thing that keeps bringing up this discussion about Drury is the fact that he hasn't had that "Welcome to New York" moment, like scoring a clutch game winning goal or an overtime goal. I've thought to myself, "It doesn't feel like Drury is a Ranger" but most do not realize how hard it is to adjust to playing with a new team in the biggest city on the biggest stage in the world, especially with new linemates every game. I fully expect him to have a better 2nd half as he grows more accustomed to the team.

Last edited by Draft Guru: 12-25-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Fletch

That is the definition of value, Guru....

100% correct. The debate is should the Rangers be the ones who pay for that player. I supported his signing 100% at the time. I'm wavering a bit in my support, but given where the organization is at center, and the obvious need for a quality second line centerman (something that held this team back the last two seasons), I saw little options if this team wants to make noise the next couple seasons. I can't remember what true #2 centermen were available as a UFA last season, and Cullen definitely wasn't the answer. I didn't think Dubi was an answer. And I didn't want to see Nylander getting $5MM+ when he's 37, 38, 39 years old. Personally, I'm just expressing what is my view of him now that I see him every night. I think he's more of a support player - a necessary and important cog, but he needs more help out there than a Gomez or Shanny.

Old
12-25-2007, 09:34 AM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I hate all this talk of so-and-so being overpaid. The fact of the matter is, a player is worth as much as someone is willing to spend. Are there players who make less who produce more? Sure, but that doesn't mean anything.

I think maybe the one thing that keeps bringing up this discussion about Drury is the fact that he hasn't had that "Welcome to New York" moment, like scoring a clutch game winning goal or an overtime goal. I've thought to myself, "It doesn't feel like Drury is a Ranger" but most do not realize how hard it is to adjust to playing with a new team in the biggest city on the biggest stage in the world, especially with new linemates every game. I fully expect him to have a better 2nd half as he grows more accustomed to the team.
I agree completely. A lot of people expect 7 million to mean he's in the top 10 in points, Drury is just simply not the player, never was and never will be. What he brings to the table is being your team's best penalty killer, best faceoff guy, and unbelieveable heart. I think his heart has struggled a little bit as he's lost all confidence and is becoming the scapegoat for this team now that Gomez is putting it all together. He's now the "overpaid free agent bust" and you can tell it's getting to him and he's pressing. I know we're all from NY and we expect the best but we get on our players way too much and it's getting to this year's team I think.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2007, 09:37 AM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
It's not going to unless the cap somehow goes DOWN next year.

Jagr, Shanny, Straka, Malik, Mara are all coming off the books.

There will be more than enough to re-sign Henke, Avery, Tyutin, and Rozy.
I wouldn't be casting away Jagr and Shanahan just yet. I fully expect both of them to back next year which going to cause all kinds of hell on this board but don't be surprised. And another thing the 5-6 million between Malik and Mara, don't be surprised if that goes to Dan Boyle who would be a great acquisition for this team.

Old
12-25-2007, 10:51 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
I wouldn't be casting away Jagr and Shanahan just yet. I fully expect both of them to back next year which going to cause all kinds of hell on this board but don't be surprised. And another thing the 5-6 million between Malik and Mara, don't be surprised if that goes to Dan Boyle who would be a great acquisition for this team.
Doesn't Boyle basically have one hand left? Yep, he is ready to join the Rangers!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2007, 02:16 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Doesn't Boyle basically have one hand left? Yep, he is ready to join the Rangers!
Pronger had one hand left for a while too.

Old
12-25-2007, 10:00 PM
DickSmehlik

A lot of people in Buffalo thought Drury was the primary reason we enjoyed a couple of great seasons the past 2 years. The "Drury intangables" was a phrase we heard constantly. They said you can't measure what he brings in points, because he does all of the subtle things that go unnoticed. That was fine and dandy when he was making 3 million dollars but I am glad we didn't give him the $7 million we were rumoured to have offered him. He played on our 3rd line and it just didn't make sense to pay a 3rd liner, no matter how good he is, that much money.

When he left town to sign with the Rangers (coupled with Briere) we all thought that was the end of the Sabres. We were all sure that New York would be battling it out with Ottawa for the top team in the East. Well, looking at his projected numbers I was suprised to see he is on pace for:

18G 36A 54P -20

I was also surprised to see his shooting percentage at 7.5%. The only thing that I can say is that it took him a season in Buffalo before he found his groove.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 12:35 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
If you're going to look at point totals then he will be overrated. You don't look at Drury that way. He's a team guy, smart, defensive, good PKer, scores some goals, and is clutch

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 03:32 AM
Boom Boom Bear

Out of active NHL players, Drury ranks #8 in all-time playoff goals, and #18 in all-time playoff points over 6 playoff seasons. Mighty impressive when you consider it took Daniel Alfredsson 11 playoff seasons to put up essentially the same numbers.

Drury is skilled, intelligent, hardworking and has managed to stay healthy and in peak physical condition. He's been consistent, is effective on both ends of the ice, and is acknowledged as a team leader.

With guys like Jagr, Shanahan, Brind'amour, Chelios, etc. still effective in their "old age," there's no reason to believe a consistent and healthy performer like Drury will be significantly diminished as a player in five years. Sather knows this. In a couple of years, unless Drury's career takes a nosedive (which is unlikely given his track record), $7 million is not going to seem like an overpayment.

If the Rangers are planning on taking a serious Cup run in the next couple of years, they are going to value what he brings to the team.

Guys like Drury are a rare commodity in the NHL right now, which is precisely why he commanded such a big salary.

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Most Ranger fans don't quite realize what we have in Drury just yet. Right now they see a generic second line center who is putting merely average points for a 7+ million dollar player. But just wait until he scores that big overtime goal, or is the difference maker in a long playoff series.. then a love affair will kick in with this guy, I'm confident of that.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:10 AM
coolbean04

I think the fans that knock Drury down are the fans that don't get to watch him play on TV or watch every game.

If you told me in the offseason how many points Drury would have right now. I'd STILL take him. He does soooooooooo many things right that don't show up on the score card. I want him to show himself in the playoffs and help us through each round.

You know what's funny though. In the offseason, if you told fans on here that Drury would be even in amount of goals with Jagr and 3 points less than Jagr after about 40 games, EVERYONE WOULD BE THRILLED!!!!

Why is Drury getting dogged more than Jagr when Jagr is the scoring threat????

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:54 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I think the fans that knock Drury down are the fans that don't get to watch him play on TV or watch every game.

If you told me in the offseason how many points Drury would have right now. I'd STILL take him. He does soooooooooo many things right that don't show up on the score card. I want him to show himself in the playoffs and help us through each round.

You know what's funny though. In the offseason, if you told fans on here that Drury would be even in amount of goals with Jagr and 3 points less than Jagr after about 40 games, EVERYONE WOULD BE THRILLED!!!!

Why is Drury getting dogged more than Jagr when Jagr is the scoring threat????
agreed, i have said this before and i will say it again, i go to school in buffalo and i can tell you that the sabres would not have been the same team without him....point totals aside, he almost single-handedly beat the rangers last year....he shut down the jagr line, had quite a few points and had a game winner that was like a dagger into most rangers fans hearts(including my own)....once the series was over, i hoped and prayed he would make it to free agency so the rangers could grab him....at whatever price was needed, he is one of, if not the most clutch player in the nhl right now....he knows when he needs to turn it on and when he needs to say something to get the guys fired up.....there is a reason that wherever he has gone, the teams have always gotten better....colorado, won the cup his first year, calgary for a year, buffalo won the presidents trophy after sucking for soooo long and now he is on the rangers.....there is a reason why soooo many teams were interested in him and were wiling to give him the 7+ million to play for them....lets all watch as he gets more comfortable and does what he always does.....be the difference maker

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote