HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks said today Jagr didn't get down the ice on the OT GWer in Denver...

Old
12-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Choice

vCash: 500
Brooks said today Jagr didn't get down the ice on the OT GWer in Denver...

Larry had this to say in today's paper-

"And if the Rangers weren't dedicated to finding the positive on which to dwell, they would have to notice captain Jaromir Jagr gliding to the bench for a change from deep in his the offensive zone 30 seconds into his OT shift on Friday. "

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12232007...ice_483700.htm

I didn't say anything about it at the time, but I wondered why Jagr was standing at the Rangers' bench when that goal was scored.

I love Jagr, and think he deserves as much credit for the post-lockout turnaround as anyone in the organization, including Henrik, but that is disgraceful, especially out of your captain.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:16 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Yep, and while it wasn't all his fault, a great deal of it was.

And when you show absolutely no effort at all, it will be a big deal.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Choice

Yeah not blaming the goal totally on him, but the fact that the Avs had a four on three certainly didn't help. Going for a change while the other team is rushing the other way, (in OT no less!) is inexcusable. It's basic hockey that you don't change then. Pee wee players know that.

Old
12-23-2007, 02:25 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe Uber beat reporter Brooks can make the trip next time?

12-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Maybe Uber beat reporter Brooks can make the trip next time?
It's not up to him, it's up to whoever at the News Corp. decides how much money the Post sports dept gets in its budget.

And granted I couldn't see what Jagr was doing during the play on TV (wasn't watching HD) but I think it was pretty clear what happened from the fact they showed him standing along the boards at the end of the bench immediately after the Avs scored.

Old
12-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Unfortunately for JJ that sort of thing is no longer being canceled out by his 2 goals and an assist.

Shrug it off when your so offensively dominant, but alas.......

12-23-2007, 02:54 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Unfortunately for JJ that sort of thing is no longer being canceled out by his 2 goals and an assist.

Shrug it off when your so offensively dominant, but alas.......
And that's exactly it. He says he's frustrated at his offensive production. I believe him, but if it's true, he needs to do the little things that will make him an asset to the team in other ways. Admittedly he's rarely been called upon to check in his career, but he's not above such a job if he is not putting up points, nor should he hold himself above it.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:56 PM
MBHockey

Of course he didn't. Jagr only backchecks/cares when all the stars align 4 games a season. It's disgraceful that he wears the C.

MBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yeah, the nyrangerscast guys killed jagr for not skating hard on that play. i didnt watch it, but i trust their opinions...and honestly, its not exactly surprising

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
And that's exactly it. He says he's frustrated at his offensive production. I believe him, but if it's true, he needs to do the little things that will make him an asset to the team in other ways. Admittedly he's rarely been called upon to check in his career, but he's not above such a job if he is not putting up points, nor should he hold himself above it.
It's not like I've never seen it before. With his huge stride, Jagr coming back down and breaking up a play isn't a rare site. But end of the shift or not, you can't just decide not to, especially in OT.

Old
12-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Jagr always takes long shifts and by time he decides to change, he's so winded that he has no energy left to hustle off the ice. And has already posted, when he's not scoring, it's so much more noticable.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 03:09 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Yep, and while it wasn't all his fault, a great deal of it was.

And when you show absolutely no effort at all, it will be a big deal.
Jagr backchecks == Finger not open. No shot, no rebound, no goal.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Trendsetter

Send a message via MSN to Trendsetter
I actually paid special attention to that when it happend, and although Jagr was late getting off, the 2 avs defenders were also pretty slow to the bench. The difference was that the 2 avs coming on jumped in and hustled up ice with the guys coming off at least 40 feet away from the bench, while the ranger (drury I think, not sure) waited alot longer and thus was late getting back into the play. It created a 4 on 3 for Colorado and the trailer got the open walkin shot.

You'd like for Jagr to make the changes faster, but I dont think you can blame that goal on him. As far as i could see, it was just a case of a very aggressive Colorado change (borderline too many men penalty)

Trendsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter View Post
I actually paid special attention to that when it happend, and although Jagr was late getting off, the 2 avs defenders were also pretty slow to the bench. The difference was that the 2 avs coming on jumped in and hustled up ice with the guys coming off at least 40 feet away from the bench, while the ranger (drury I think, not sure) waited alot longer and thus was late getting back into the play. It created a 4 on 3 for Colorado and the trailer got the open walkin shot.

You'd like for Jagr to make the changes faster, but I dont think you can blame that goal on him. As far as i could see, it was just a case of a very aggressive Colorado change (borderline too many men penalty)
I think it's more a matter of not changing when the opposing team is rushing up ice, as opposed to doing it too slow.

Old
12-23-2007, 05:20 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Of course he didn't. Jagr only backchecks/cares when all the stars align 4 games a season. It's disgraceful that he wears the C.
2nd that. It's no rarity for Jagr to be gliding, whilst everyone else skates their ***** off.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 05:32 PM
shoothepuck

Maybe his back is worse then he lets on, but he's been gliding alot of late..

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 05:49 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I too think his back is bothering him more than we know.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 05:52 PM
beastly115

Jagr not backchecking shouldn't surprise anyone.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 09:37 PM
polako

Brooks criticizing Jagr??....shocker.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Brooks criticizing Jagr??....shocker.
Brooks is often out of line, but this was warranted IMO.

Old
12-23-2007, 09:44 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Jagr had a good game tonight IMO. Glad to see him shooting more. I too think something is up. Sometimes when he takes a big hit he also goes off for a line change way before the rest of his line. I think he's hurting somewhere.

I hate to make excuses for players, but to go from such a dominating force, to a player who can't get around players anymore, a player who rarely shoots, a player who doesn't use his speed/strength to get around players, and the most glaring problem, a player who used to be so strong with the puck but now is knocked off a lot easier. Something has to be up.

Least he's getting on the scoresheet again, even if its just assists...6 in his last 6 games...a start?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Jagr had a good game tonight IMO. Glad to see him shooting more. I too think something is up. Sometimes when he takes a big hit he also goes off for a line change way before the rest of his line. I think he's hurting somewhere.

I hate to make excuses for players, but to go from such a dominating force, to a player who can't get around players anymore, a player who rarely shoots, a player who doesn't use his speed/strength to get around players, and the most glaring problem, a player who used to be so strong with the puck but now is knocked off a lot easier. Something has to be up.

Least he's getting on the scoresheet again, even if its just assists...6 in his last 6 games...a start?
Yeah my buddy and I were talking during the game tonight about how he just hasn't been the same since that shoulder surgery before last year.

But who knows. None of us here really know how much pain Jagr is in, so as long as he's in the lineup there are going to be higher expectations for him than anyone else.

Since Straka's been back, he has really provided a spark to the offense (not that it was evident by the final score tonight though). Lets hope Jagr feeds off that.

Old
12-23-2007, 09:59 PM
segmentation fault

Whatever, Jagr sucks. Every team has its star player, and ours sucks.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 10:34 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
It's not up to him, it's up to whoever at the News Corp. decides how much money the Post sports dept gets in its budget.

And granted I couldn't see what Jagr was doing during the play on TV (wasn't watching HD) but I think it was pretty clear what happened from the fact they showed him standing along the boards at the end of the bench immediately after the Avs scored.
I don't care who it's up to. Brooks commenting on what happens 2000 miles away from him is no different than coming to HF to write your story.

And since you couldn't see what Jagr was doing, it pretty much puts you in the same boat: passing judgement based on overblown drama.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I don't care who it's up to. Brooks commenting on what happens 2000 miles away from him is no different than coming to HF to write your story.

And since you couldn't see what Jagr was doing, it pretty much puts you in the same boat: passing judgement based on overblown drama.
uhhh, maybe other posters can agree/disagree, but it's pretty evident what happened when Jagr's line was on the ice, the Avs score after having four men in our zone, compared to our three and the camera cuts to Jagr standing at the end of the bench after the goal is scored.