HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Kolanos called up

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2004, 10:11 AM
KC

vCash: 500
Kolanos called up

Kolanos called up

Krys Kolanos is getting the call from Springfield.

I'd like to see him get back the form he had in his rookie year, and before the concussion slowed his progress.

We can hope.

Old
01-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Dan

Showcase. I have a feeling he is being shopped.

Edit- Marty was in Phoenix today to talk about the Falcons roster and pathetic play. Maybe Marty said something that made Barnett make this call up.

Old
01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
c9orf

Well, maybe, but isn't it more likely that they just needed a healthy body to put on the ice? With Sillinger's and Nash's injuries and Nagy already on the shelf, calling someone up seems like common sense.

Old
01-16-2004, 05:33 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad+Croutons
Well, maybe, but isn't it more likely that they just needed a healthy body to put on the ice? With Sillinger's and Nash's injuries and Nagy already on the shelf, calling someone up seems like common sense.

I'd have to concur with Salad + Croutons analysis. Hopefully, like Sjostrom did with his opportunity, Kolanos will seize the moment to silence his critics.

Old
01-17-2004, 08:06 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
I'd have to concur with Salad + Croutons analysis. Hopefully, like Sjostrom did with his opportunity, Kolanos will seize the moment to silence his critics.

Looks to me like he sat in the press box and watched. Quite typical.

Old
01-17-2004, 08:41 AM
Bezina57

Krys was a healthy scratch and from what I heard is on his way back to Springfield since Sillinger is playing.

Old
01-17-2004, 09:11 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Showcase. I have a feeling he is being shopped.

Edit- Marty was in Phoenix today to talk about the Falcons roster and pathetic play. Maybe Marty said something that made Barnett make this call up.
While I disagree with you about the showcasing of Kolanos, I like your new avatar. Sjostrom has been my favorite player since he was drafted.

Old
01-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
While I disagree with you about the showcasing of Kolanos, I like your new avatar. Sjostrom has been my favorite player since he was drafted.
I agree with you guys. I was wrong, that was a knee-jerk response by me.

Old
01-17-2004, 10:13 AM
CFABoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I agree with you guys. I was wrong, that was a knee-jerk response by me.

From the looks of it, Kolanos is doing reasonably well in the AHL. Can anyone comment on his play both in the NHL earlier this season and in the minors more recently? Has the concussion affected his play (ie is he more tentative?) or is it just rust of basically missing out on a whole year. Has he shown any offensive flashes or was he totally ineffective?

Old
01-23-2004, 09:17 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFABoy
From the looks of it, Kolanos is doing reasonably well in the AHL. Can anyone comment on his play both in the NHL earlier this season and in the minors more recently? Has the concussion affected his play (ie is he more tentative?) or is it just rust of basically missing out on a whole year. Has he shown any offensive flashes or was he totally ineffective?
I can't comment about his performances this year but I have heard that his attitude hasn't been great. Earlier this year, Bobby Francis was left fuming when after he told him that he would be sent back to Springfield, Krys wasn't bothered or upset or anything. You would expect a bit more hunger for staying with the NHL team. Then a few weeks later with the Falcons, he apparently had two penalties for use of illegal stick in two different games and that has been interpretated by the Arizona Republic as a lack of professionalism.
Now I don't know what all that means. I really think he could be a terrific player and I sincerely hope he stays with the Coyotes. But this kid looks a bit lost with his career right now. And if the management lost his belief in him, then he might end up being traded. I hope not.

Old
01-23-2004, 09:33 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
I can't comment about his performances this year but I have heard that his attitude hasn't been great. Earlier this year, Bobby Francis was left fuming when after he told him that he would be sent back to Springfield, Krys wasn't bothered or upset or anything. You would expect a bit more hunger for staying with the NHL team. Then a few weeks later with the Falcons, he apparently had two penalties for use of illegal stick in two different games and that has been interpretated by the Arizona Republic as a lack of professionalism.
Now I don't know what all that means. I really think he could be a terrific player and I sincerely hope he stays with the Coyotes. But this kid looks a bit lost with his career right now. And if the management lost his belief in him, then he might end up being traded. I hope not.

his attitude/maturity as a pro this season probably has more to do with being out for over a year with a concussion. Physically he appears to be fine but hockey is more of a mental contest than we would like to beleive. I think he'll be fine but just needs some time. Phoenix will be rewarded if they are patient.

Old
01-23-2004, 09:43 PM

Kolanos has put up 15 points in 22 games with Springfield, sporting a -6 at even strength among a team of minuses. The fans there seem to indicate that he is "hotdogging" and is showing no heart, passion, or emotion.

My take this season on Kolanos has been that we should trade him now while we can get a value in return for him. When the CBA is resolved, his stock will have plummeted to the point he'll be a wasted first round pick. I fully believe that the concussion injury has flopped his NHL career, and that is unfortunate.

Not many, if any, players have returned from a major concussion to develop into a better hockey player than they were in the first place. The team was counting on him developing into more than a depth player. If we could trade problems with another team and possibly acquire a similar player fallen from grace (Pavel Brendl) or another player of that status, we might break even on the deal.

Old
01-23-2004, 09:51 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Not many, if any, players have returned from a major concussion to develop into a better hockey player than they were in the first place.
You make some good points. One thing thought that I'd like to mention is that we don't really know if the point I've quoted above is true or not. There were a lot of players who played through "headaches" and concussion like symptoms prior to the 1990's when doctors started diagnosing concussions at a much more frequent rate. When in doubt medicate wasn't a standard practice until million dollar lawsuits for doctor malpractice became commonplace.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:02 PM
ParisSaintGermain

[QUOTE=GoCoyotes]Kolanos has put up 15 points in 22 games with Springfield, sporting a -6 at even strength among a team of minuses. The fans there seem to indicate that he is "hotdogging" and is showing no heart, passion, or emotion.

Well, once again the Falcons lost tonight to Norfolk, 2-4. Kolanos was no points, -3 on that game...
Anyway reading other threads about the Falcons, it looks like generally there is a serious problem there.

Old
01-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Mark O

[QUOTE=ParisSaintGermain]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Kolanos has put up 15 points in 22 games with Springfield, sporting a -6 at even strength among a team of minuses. The fans there seem to indicate that he is "hotdogging" and is showing no heart, passion, or emotion.

Well, once again the Falcons lost tonight to Norfolk, 2-4. Kolanos was no points, -3 on that game...
Anyway reading other threads about the Falcons, it looks like generally there is a serious problem there.
You bet there is. And the fans, especially season ticket holders, are extremely restless. There will be an open forum for season ticket holders only in the near future. Time for Landon to face the music.

Old
01-24-2004, 03:00 AM
c9orf

Yes, this is getting a bit embarrassing. I'm happy that the latest guy to be thrown into the fire (Reirden) performed very well, but something is fundamentally wrong in Springfield.

Old
01-24-2004, 09:07 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O
You bet there is. And the fans, especially season ticket holders, are extremely restless. There will be an open forum for season ticket holders only in the near future. Time for Landon to face the music.

I hear it's scheduled for Wednesday night at the Theater at the Basketball Hall of Fame. There should be some interesting questions and comments. It's fair to say that Gilman will not be present.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Was talking to a Thrashers fan..

How about Kolanos for Stefan?

Both could do with a new club and Stefan is pretty solid even if not the player he was expected to be.. perhaps he could mature into a Bonk type player.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:44 PM
PhoPhan

No thanks. I am still not sold on giving up on Kolanos yet.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:50 PM
ParisSaintGermain

I would only trade Kolanos as part of a package for a player who would surely upgrade the team.
I am not convinced that Stefan would improve the Coyotes. I may be wrong.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:39 AM
Mark O

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
I hear it's scheduled for Wednesday night at the Theater at the Basketball Hall of Fame. There should be some interesting questions and comments. It's fair to say that Gilman will not be present.
\

Or Gretzky, either. I'm trying to get the night off so I can attend. Are you bringing your referee's shirt? Should be a hum-dinger!

Closed Thread