HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So...Right now: Which 1st line center would you prefer?

View Poll Results: Pick your first line center:
Saku Koivu (7g 20a 27pts) 141 75.00%
Mike Ribeiro (18g 20a 36pts) 47 25.00%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Ribeiro is a much more dedicated player it appears in Dallas, and frankly in a much better situation.

His game hasn't changed and he isn't a better offensive player but he is first off surrounded by a well run organization (unlike Montreal), good coaching staff (unlike Montreal), and with a smart player like Miettinen, and a better version and more physical version of Chris Higgins.

Now, this is my last post on this topic. I know i am not the first, but i hope more people join cause this topic has been beaten to death.
I hope you realize that Dallas uses the same style that we do, and is run very much the same way we are...

Dallas and Montreal are two very comparable teams. Might have to do with the fact that the 2 people who used to run Dallas (not so much Carbo) are now in Montreal.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
False. He always played with the best wingers we had on our teams. And none of them were AHL or ECHL talent.
Id say true.

Yes, he did indeed (or almost) played with the best winger of the teams, but these wingers woud be 2nd or third line winger with another team and Koivu did a pretty good job with them. Its not like Koivu was blessed to play with Zednik and Ryder, but he did made them 30 goals scorer.

Koivu had his most productive season playing with Ryder, Higgins, Latendresse, Streit, Jonhson and Begin. Which is not so bad especially when a guy like Gomez who has twice Koivu's salary has 15 points less than Koivu playing with Elias and Gionta.

And oh yeah, i personally think Kovalev is a better winger than those mentionned above, but thats just me since you seem to believe that Koivu ALWAYS played with the best wingers.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
False. He always played with the best wingers we had on our teams. And none of them were AHL or ECHL talent.
And all of them were barely,bottom tier,mediocre 2nd or just basically 3rd tier NHL calibre.
Considering it he has effectively played with ''quality'' hacks.The choices
weren't even respectable,he played with the linemates who sucked the less IMO,and
you can't argue with this blatant fact. Zednik won't score 30 goals on another team,guaranteed.Basically
3rd line talent who got promoted with Koivu simply because he was the best winger that
the Canadiens had on their roster.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 12-27-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:00 PM
madbox

Honestly don't believe Ribeiro would be producing at this pace with the Canadiens. Added with his playoff no shows aside from being a sideshow... I'll take Saku.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I hope you realize that Dallas uses the same style that we do, and is run very much the same way we are...

Dallas and Montreal are two very comparable teams. Might have to do with the fact that the 2 people who used to run Dallas (not so much Carbo) are now in Montreal.
the same style maybe, but better in every facet.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I disagree. Defensively we are better and have more depth. There offence is maybe slightly better than ours, and imo our tending is better.

Put Dallas in the Northeast and Montreal in the Pacific, and I'm 100% positive that Montreal would be doing at least as well as Dallas is right now.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:58 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Great . You are comparing the points sheet of a first line center with the points sheet of a plaayer that played on the 4 th line for a long time , 9-11 minutes per games .

Very solid argument !
http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetc...Name=timeOnIce

Playing less than a guy like Barnes and Halpern..

He's developped great chemistry with Morrow, but I fail to see a Morrow on our team. He'd be a 60 points guy here, no more... I'm REALLY interested in seeing where he'll go and what he can do without Morrow (or a PF).

He didn't do **** last game against us... was just controlling the play like he used to on the PP and his linemates converted. Big deal.

Saku Koivu (7g 20a 27pts) 123 75.00%
Mike Ribeiro (18g 20a 36pts) 41 25.00%

Haha!

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I disagree. Defensively we are better and have more depth. There offence is maybe slightly better than ours, and imo our tending is better.
The Stars have less defensive depth than Montreal? I strongly disagree. And the Habs are not defensively better as a team. The difference is in the forwards. Dallas has superior forwards when it comes to help their blueline.

I don't think the goaltending in Montreal is clearly superior either.

Quote:
Put Dallas in the Northeast and Montreal in the Pacific, and I'm 100% positive that Montreal would be doing at least as well as Dallas is right now.
I think the Pacific division ain't bad at all, neither and the Western Conference is a tough one. That being said, the Stars had an easy month of December compared to what awaits them in January. This team is about to face some real tests soon.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Battaglia.

Old
12-27-2007, 12:00 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
They just have Morrow...

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
The Stars have less defensive depth than Montreal? I strongly disagree. And the Habs are not defensively better as a team. The difference is in the forwards. Dallas has superior forwards when it comes to help their blueline.
+1, BY FAR.

Also, Dallas has learnt to use Turco's puck control abilities to help their transition, which helps them a lot defensively as he plays the role of a third defenseman.

Moreover, their coach is better, and their system is better suited to their forwards & their conference.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:16 AM
ShuttFan

The only way I'd take Ribeiro back is if Theo and Dags came with.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:35 AM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Didn't Ribeiro have about half a dozen chances to steal Koivu's job while he was here? When Koivu was injured and Ribeiro failed to step up his play multiple times? Am I missing something?

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 01:08 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder6 View Post
Didn't Ribeiro have about half a dozen chances to steal Koivu's job while he was here? When Koivu was injured and Ribeiro failed to step up his play multiple times? Am I missing something?
SHUT UP! RIBEIRO IS GOD! IT'S ALL GAINEY'S FAULT! RIBEIRO WAS AN ANGEL!!!!!

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 01:45 AM
StizzHabs46

I would take neither and trade Koivu. Chipchura 1st line !!!!
I mean who needs Koivu all he does is pass the puck, i can get on the ice and pass the puck to kovalev and he can score oodles of goals but that doesnt make ME a good player

Ps, Ribeiro is currently at 42 points

StizzHabs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 01:48 AM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
SHUT UP! RIBEIRO IS GOD! IT'S ALL GAINEY'S FAULT! RIBEIRO WAS AN ANGEL!!!!!
So was Chelios.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by StizzHabs46 View Post
I would take neither and trade Koivu. Chipchura 1st line !!!!
I mean who needs Koivu all he does is pass the puck, i can get on the ice and pass the puck to kovalev and he can score oodles of goals but that doesnt make ME a good player

Ps, Ribeiro is currently at 42 points
You're the guy that want Koivu get injured right? The guy that got an orgasm when Williams high-sticked Koivu and lost 4 straight and the series after winning the first 2 games.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 02:03 AM
les Habs

Saku for me, but that doesn't change the fact that we gave Ribiero away.

les Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 02:09 AM
StizzHabs46

Actually at that point i liked Koivu but currently he has not impressed me at all, what has his career high been 22 goals? Thats amazing for a captain, especially on a team that has such high expectations.I juss think his time is up, he hasnt been doing much, he gets pointless penalties that normally cost us. I know he has 27 points but hes supposed to be our captain. Plekanec( who is a very good player) has the same amount as him and i find hes helped us alot more than koivu has this year.And i just think were keeping him because he's such a hero and hes been through so much, other than that he has a no trade claus which i do hope he waives.

StizzHabs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 03:07 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Actually at that point i liked Koivu but currently he has not impressed me at all, what has his career high been 22 goals? Thats amazing for a captain, especially on a team that has such high expectations.I juss think his time is up, he hasnt been doing much, he gets pointless penalties that normally cost us. I know he has 27 points but hes supposed to be our captain. Plekanec( who is a very good player) has the same amount as him and i find hes helped us alot more than koivu has this year.And i just think were keeping him because he's such a hero and hes been through so much, other than that he has a no trade claus which i do hope he waives.
Yeah! me too... I can't wait for the day our centers will be Plekanec, Chipchura, Lapierre and Smolinski...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
You're the guy that want Koivu get injured right? The guy that got an orgasm when Williams high-sticked Koivu and lost 4 straight and the series after winning the first 2 games.
Yes he is.

Old
12-27-2007, 05:07 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
You are a happy guy , because that is exactly what the Habs management decided to do last season ; They choose the good clean guy in Koivu , and traded the skilled punk .

And because of that good decision , we are still a loosing team , but we aren't going to complain , because at least, we don't have that punk with our us .

May be one day we finally are going to get a real first liner that is going to be ALSO a good guy .
I am sure if Ribeiro was here right now this team would be first in the east with 150 goal for already right?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 07:12 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMeth View Post
Between Saku Koivu and Mike Ribeiro?

Which of the 2 would you rather have as the first line center of the Montreal Canadiens tomorrow morning?

S.Koivu: 7g 20a 27pts

M.Ribeiro: 18g 20a 38pts
What about : NONE OF THE ABOVE !

I don't like neither of them as #1 centers. I would use any of them as #2 though.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 08:08 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:

Why do people not realize he's only played with half decent wingers all his career in MTL. Career high 22 goals cuz he's a playmaker not a scorer. He makes players around him better than they really are but he can't do miracles either. If Ryder did his job this year, Koivu would have a lot more points this year. Just think of all the goals Ryder missed and even Higgins missed a bunch too. I just laugh when people whine about Koivu and I just look at it as people who don't know s**t from chocolate.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
And all of them were barely,bottom tier,mediocre 2nd or just basically 3rd tier NHL calibre.
Considering it he has effectively played with ''quality'' hacks.The choices
weren't even respectable,he played with the linemates who sucked the less IMO,and
you can't argue with this blatant fact. Zednik won't score 30 goals on another team,guaranteed.Basically
3rd line talent who got promoted with Koivu simply because he was the best winger that
the Canadiens had on their roster.
And if Higgins or Ryder(at the very least in his case) beneficiated of his passes this season
and capitalized on half of those,he would of accumulated at least the same
numbers as Ribeiro,or possibly more.They were so snakebitten it's unbelieveable.